Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Blacktoll posted:

I thought I'd never ask but being a sorcerer in this one is atrociously difficult. Unless I'm going full retard, my staff doesn't seem to make my spells more powerful as I upgrade it and my intelligence increases damage on a most marginally level.

How the gently caress am I supposed to level up? Dump everything into attunement and int while I slow cast and get butt hosed by everything that can lunge or attack suddenly?

Make a raw version of any of the straight swords. Longsword or astora sword are good. Astora mainly if youre planning to go a bit of faith too, it has better damage but isnt really worth 12 faith for a pure sorcerer. Buffing them isnt worth it most of the time but when you meet either fire or magic weak enemies itll melt them. Raw longsword already makes most of the game really easy and it only requires 10/10 str/dex so you shouldnt have that much of a hard time when you have the added benefit of magic. Just remember to level HP, stamina and mana as you level your estus.
Sorcery and miracles dont really start to shine until a bit past midway of the game so its better to treat it as a support option early on until you get the actually good spells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Andrigaar posted:

I'd just like to say that being a Sunbro for a caster is horrible and I don't recommend it.

"No, no. It's fine. I'll just do everything while you stand so far away from the boss that your little soul arrows all miss by planetary trajectory margins."

I recently had the worst host of all time during the Crystal Sage time.

That stupid fucker retreated up the hill, where he proceeded to shoot the sage with arrows doing piss-all damage, all the while getting hit in the face constantly by spells that he can't even begin to dodge. BUT! He's barely smart enough to aim for the real sage. Meaning, I run around in melee doing all the damage, and just when I reach the real one, dumbass host has already peppered him with arrows, doing a tiny little tick of damage, which is still enough to make the sage teleport. So nobody's doing any damage, host gets spells in the face constantly, the only real damage is dealt when the real crystal sage spawns around the corner where the host's arrows don't reach (and he's too much of a coward to come down and take aim from there).

At least we won, but goddammit :cripes:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

Seems like the only real fun is SL 15-20, and tapers off by 40

That seems to blow

Being a purple bro seems to be the most fun

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ZenVulgarity posted:

Is the queue for the cops as bad as the other games

I get lots of hits in Irithyll around SL 60 but I'm apparently the only one it works for so I dunno

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 22, 2016

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Fereydun posted:

i thought this too until i got a good closeup of them:

they are quite fleshy and quite gross

So I guess that's what the dark seeds are supposed to hatch into.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Elman posted:

So I guess that's what the dark seeds are supposed to hatch into.

They look like a cross between the bed of chaos fire creature thing and a creature of the abyss.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

ZenVulgarity posted:

Is the queue for the cops as bad as the other games

It's a crap shoot. Some people never get summoned, others manage to get summoned regularly throughout the game (I fall into the latter group).

Best you can do is wear the badge and see what happens. I turned on summon sign visibility in hostile worlds on my network settings, but I really doubt that's why I've been so fortunate.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I dunno man. I understand why matchmaking is done the way it is but its dumb to me that putting time and effort into building your character excludes you from multiplayer interaction. And it seems you guys are saying the sweet spot is around SL40, I mean thats nothing. I've never really done anything with covenants in any of the games but the way they all work in this one I find pretty interesting, but my main character I've now done 2 playthroughs with, theres just no way to enjoy any of that at SL160.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Torquemadras posted:

I recently had the worst host of all time during the Crystal Sage time.

That stupid fucker retreated up the hill, where he proceeded to shoot the sage with arrows doing piss-all damage, all the while getting hit in the face constantly by spells that he can't even begin to dodge. BUT! He's barely smart enough to aim for the real sage. Meaning, I run around in melee doing all the damage, and just when I reach the real one, dumbass host has already peppered him with arrows, doing a tiny little tick of damage, which is still enough to make the sage teleport. So nobody's doing any damage, host gets spells in the face constantly, the only real damage is dealt when the real crystal sage spawns around the corner where the host's arrows don't reach (and he's too much of a coward to come down and take aim from there).

At least we won, but goddammit :cripes:

I kind of wish there was a summon ranking system so I had something to separate the retards who die on the first hit from the people who know what the gently caress they're doing. Just reset it weekly or something so the people who got gud aren't hosed because they got a lot of downvotes early on

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Robo Reagan posted:

I kind of wish there was a summon ranking system so I had something to separate the retards who die on the first hit from the people who know what the gently caress they're doing.

Didn't Demons Souls actually do something like this? I recall being able to rate people after co-oping with them.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Tracula posted:

Didn't Demons Souls actually do something like this? I recall being able to rate people after co-oping with them.

Yeah but it was kind of pointless as no one paid much attention to either the rating someone had, or actually rating them. It also tracked how many online interactions you've had which I thought was pretty cool.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

codo27 posted:

I dunno man. I understand why matchmaking is done the way it is but its dumb to me that putting time and effort into building your character excludes you from multiplayer interaction. And it seems you guys are saying the sweet spot is around SL40, I mean thats nothing. I've never really done anything with covenants in any of the games but the way they all work in this one I find pretty interesting, but my main character I've now done 2 playthroughs with, theres just no way to enjoy any of that at SL160.

The game just came out, a lot of people haven't even beaten it yet. It shouldn't be surprising that there's less online activity at NG+.

Marcus Garvey
Oct 24, 2015
NG and NG+ don't have separate matchmaking. If you're looking for duels stick around SL100-120(not sure what the summon ranges are in this one but SL120 is a good bet for being involved in anything) and check out the area just past Pontiff Sulyvahn's bonfire, if you're looking to just invade random people stick well below SL80.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Host, three summons using hollow ring, purple friend of theirs using hollow ring. Bloodborne PvP, come back, you are forgiven.

e: Next one had host, one visible summon, two Rosaria Finger's 10 turn-in reward ring users so I couldn't see them. Where were all these skill-handicapped lameass piece of poo poo hosts in Bloodborne?
e: next invasion was host, summon, bluebro, then another bluebro arrived. The only thing DS3 PvP has over BB is that invasions work more often.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 22, 2016

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but if you're using a parrying shield/dagger in your kit, make it Simple for infinite weapon arts. Works great on my BKGA + Parrying Shield setup, so I can always keep the weapon art active.

Also, invading and ending a ganksquad instantly with a parry-riposte on the host is a good feeling.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

BurntCornMuffin posted:

It's a crap shoot. Some people never get summoned, others manage to get summoned regularly throughout the game (I fall into the latter group).

Best you can do is wear the badge and see what happens. I turned on summon sign visibility in hostile worlds on my network settings, but I really doubt that's why I've been so fortunate.

Oh I'm not helping anyone being blue, I just noticed that seventy join my game whenever I've been invaded so far at around SL 40

Also I was surprised the white phantom ring doesn't change the mad phantom color of their soapstone sign

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

ZenVulgarity posted:

That seems to blow

Being a purple bro seems to be the most fun

shitcanning people in the catacombs is really really good and even if the host runs into the fog wall to fight the boss, his phantoms gotta wait for him to reach the clicky button to start the cutscene to get to the fight so you can still wax all his phantom buddies before he gets there. its a cool place with lots of hiding places and garbage enemies and setups to take advantage of and i love it

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Maxed out my Heavy Dark Sword and jeeeesus christ... nothing stands in my way. 1 shot the Dancer with ease - ripped up the castle (except those big fat guys also make my chug estus like theres no tomorrow) and standing in front of the boss fog gate for tonight.

But I have to say --- those loving red eye ultra greatsword knights are insane - one bad dodge or block, you're toast.

....I love it. :getin:

The difficulty here reminds me of Demons Souls so much.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Marcus Garvey posted:

NG and NG+ don't have separate matchmaking. If you're looking for duels stick around SL100-120(not sure what the summon ranges are in this one but SL120 is a good bet for being involved in anything) and check out the area just past Pontiff Sulyvahn's bonfire, if you're looking to just invade random people stick well below SL80.

I know it hasn't been out for very long but as "the meta" agreed on a level cap at all? I'd take a stab at SL120 again since that's what it was in DS1 and I believe the original game as well.

Tracula fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 22, 2016

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Superarmor Force is completely my poo poo. Pro as gently caress gimmick, goon

http://plays.tv/video/571a36e65733ef38e1/bridge-troll

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Blacktoll posted:

I thought I'd never ask but being a sorcerer in this one is atrociously difficult. Unless I'm going full retard, my staff doesn't seem to make my spells more powerful as I upgrade it and my intelligence increases damage on a most marginally level.

How the gently caress am I supposed to level up? Dump everything into attunement and int while I slow cast and get butt hosed by everything that can lunge or attack suddenly?

I went with Sorcerer and while I am terrible at this game, it hasn't been all that difficult. I do summon quite often but even still I am able to do a good bit of damage with Soul Arrow and Heavy Souls Arrow when I need to.

I leveled up my Rapier to +2 and you can really chew through stuff early game with it. I don't believe leveling up your Staff does anything outside of (useless) physical attacks. I've been dumping points into Attunement, Vigor, and Int.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

Your Computer posted:

I'm not lucky enough to have friends who enjoy Dark Souls :v: The sword from the last boss would be incredibly cool though.

The Scythe is pretty nice, and I like the Greatknife as well so I might go for one of those. I'd prefer to go 1-handed and I absolutely refuse to use the Dark Sword because I've already spent like 60 hours using a straight sword however :o:

If you're on PC, PM me and I'll help if you want to transfer some stuff over.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

NTT posted:

Superarmor Force is completely my poo poo. Pro as gently caress gimmick, goon

http://plays.tv/video/571a36e65733ef38e1/bridge-troll

I also made a "Voracious Saint" character with long black hair immediately after seeing that goon's video. My first victim was Sword Master, but soon hosts, soon. :getin:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Blacktoll posted:

Upgrading spell catalysts only increases the scaling, not the actual magic adjust, so you won't notice a difference from upgrades until you have pretty high Intelligence.

The answer, unfortunately, is that sorcery just isn't viable as your main source of damage until, like, NG+. Seriously. Grab a Raw weapon (a straight sword or Estoc would be easiest to use), buff it with (Great/Crystal) Magic Weapon, and play mostly melee, only casting spells when you have a clear opening. Also, wearing the Sage's Ring can help--it gives you near-max casting speed even with base Dexterity. Your spells aren't going to be reliable as your main source of damage until you have like 50 Intelligence, and you should go to 60 Intelligence eventually because that's where the soft-cap is for spell scaling. (It's 40 for weapon scaling.)

Once you get the Giant's Coal you can make yourself a Chaos weapon and drop the buffing--Chaos is really strong if you have high Int/Faith, even if only one of them is high.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Lblitzer posted:

I don't believe leveling up your Staff does anything outside of (useless) physical attacks. I've been dumping points into Attunement, Vigor, and Int.

If true, god drat. I'll just play with pyromancy instead.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I'm gonna do classic anor London knight next

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lblitzer posted:

I don't believe leveling up your Staff does anything outside of (useless) physical attacks.

Upgrading your staff increases the scaling for the Spell Buff stat, but not the base Spell Buff. It's very noticeable... once you're over 50 Intelligence or so :v:

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

NTT posted:

I'm gonna do classic anor London knight next

I had a bunch of fun cosplaying as a silver knight helping people with Aldritch

the knights must drop their sword and spear, eh? I got the shield and full armor set, but neither weapon. Killed dozens of the bastards too. Gonna check the wiki.

edit: re sorcerer chat, I'm glad I wasn't the only one struggling. I started off with a magic user with fond memories of DS2 magic users basically being the game on easy mode, but DS3 is punishing in comparison. I'll probably try again, but I was pretty stymied early on. Sword and dodge supremacy.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 22, 2016

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

NotAnArtist posted:

I had a bunch of fun cosplaying as a silver knight helping people with Aldritch

the knights must drop their sword and spear, eh? I got the shield and full armor set, but neither weapon. Killed dozens of the bastards too. Gonna check the wiki.

They do not, for some reason.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I think the melee weapons actually aren't in the game.

e: beaten

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Am I the only one fairly disappointed in DS III?
In both DS and DS II, I cared about the lore, I wanted to know more about Artorias, Gwyn and so
on in DS. In DS II, I wanted to know more about Vendrick, what he stole from the giants. The giants them self, Drangleic, Nashandra and the other dark queens. There was so much lore to explore.

DS III feels really empty. The gameplay and dungeons are great, but storywise, there is nothing. It's way too linear and npc quests are easily broken. It's not even hard, you are just forced to consult a walkthrough unless you want to break an npc questline. The lore seems nonexistent and the game tries way to hard to be DS 1. From everything to the dungeon order, to covenants and progression. You start in a graveyard with a simple boss, goes to firelink shrine, then a castle with a dragon on a bridge, a city of undead, a poison swamp and a forrest with pvp covenant and so on.

I'm probably alone on this. but I think DS II was better game than DS III. More weapon classes, more interesting covenants, especially ratbro's and bellkeepers and just more and better lore/story.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

turtlecrunch posted:

I think the melee weapons actually aren't in the game.

speaking of not in the game, I'm starting to think the same of the Black Knight Greataxe. I tried killing the Greataxe knight in Smouldering Lake so many times (with and without rusted coins) that I gained four levels and all he dropped was multiple pants, shields and gloves.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there any straightsword/greatsword that naturally scales off faith?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Atreiden posted:

I'm probably alone on this. but I think DS II was better game than DS III. More weapon classes, more interesting covenants, especially ratbro's and bellkeepers and just more and better lore/story.

No, I agree with you, although it's only slight favoritism. Both games are fun in their own way, but the linearity of DS3 and its heavy reliance on nostalgia and references to the glory days of DS1 doesn't interest me in the least. They also still don't understand how important Oscar was in setting up the player's motivation in DS1, and the game ends up committing the same sin of DS2, where I'm still not sure why the gently caress I'm even bothering with all of this beyond being told "it's really important and your duty, okay cya" once by a Fire Keeper.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Why wouldn't you just stick lightning gem in anything

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't think there is, no.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I'm starting to think From just really loving hates Miracles, honestly.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

NTT posted:

Why wouldn't you just stick lightning gem in anything

that's what she said

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Internet Kraken posted:

Anri's Straight Sword scales E-E and the Twin Princes' Greatsword (which you can't get on the first playthrough) scales D-D but that's your lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

That sounds awful