Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
Swingin back by this thread for some first impressions-

MAN I like the way this game looks. Stuff looks clean and everything ran great.

The controls? Well, I can say so far that I actually really like the aiming during normal straight-forward sections. It's fun, somewhat twitchy, and not a stretch to get used to.

Learning how to use the controls in All-Range Mode get somewhat annoying- the first enemy has a target that requires that you come down from above and my first attempts at clearing them out weren't great.

The "Target Mode"? was NOT a fan at first. Switching back and forth became a bit much. The TV becomes this odd resident evil like fixed camera mode like the one you could screw around with in Mario 64. You have to focus somewhat on the pad and I didn't enjoy doing it.

That being said, I'm glad recalibrating is a button press because doing it enough as you are in those moments made things easier.

I don't want to say much for now other than I really enjoyed it! This is scratching a very specific itch I had forgotten was there for years. Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

is there really no way at all to have the voice audio play from my tv? this is so weird

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

Evil Eagle posted:

is there really no way at all to have the voice audio play from my tv? this is so weird

Did turning off 3D voice in options work?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The dual-screen thing is way more disconcerting than the motion controls and even that's not really that tough.

I do think it's something they should have relegated to a specific vehicle or something, as it's not something you'll need or want access to 100% the time and if they'd relegated it to per-vehicle or even just per-level they could have pushed the visuals further or whatever.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

I was a bit wary when I learned this wasn't platinum-developed, but man, it's a really loving good game. Controls feel mostly natural, very similar to Splatoon. Biggest problem I've had so far is the movement of rolling from the shoulder buttons to the right stick.

Transforming vehicles are probably my favorite bit so far, it's really fun to switch seamlessly between running and flying. I think I got to the gyrocopter level that one reviewer was talking about, and it took me like... 10 minutes max? Still not my favorite part of the game, but I have no idea how that one reviewer spent 30 minutes on it.

I've managed to miss like 18 medals out of twenty. Gonna enjoy coming back to these levels when I'm better with the controls, I think.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Apparently you can unlock the black and retro arwings without the amiibos so that's cool.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

SeANMcBAY posted:

Apparently you can unlock the black and retro arwings without the amiibos so that's cool.

Awesome, :10bux: saved

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It takes like 30 minutes to get used to the controls, reviewers are babies (and need to play loving splatoon), but yo it's really dumb that voices only come through the gamepad. I play with a headset on and the headphone jack on my pad is busted.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Is there absolutely no way to turn that off and have it come out of the TV. I remember Wii games where if you turned sound off for controllers completely the sounds would come out of the TV instead.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
All the pre-release people complained that there was no way to capture the VA without recording from the gamepad's headphone jack, so probably not.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Just played the first level and I got a hot take for ya'll. It took me longer to get used to the controls in 64 3D than it did in Zero. Admittedly that might be because I had already gotten used to 64 3D and motion-controlled Splatoon, but by the end of the tutorial I felt pretty comfy with the controls. I really like how it feels. It's very fast and accurate, and I feel like I have this expanded sense of perspective and control. The target lock was a little weird, but I like being able to orient myself in relation to the enemy which I had a problem with in 64 3D.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I got it yesterday and I'm just past Zoness.
I'm a wierdo and I found the Gyrowing section actauly fun and a hoot when I figgured I could just use the Direct-I as a hacking wrecking ball. Would have liked to have run around with the Giant Robot Ape some but eh.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
THIS GAME IS loving AWESOME :holy:

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I might pick it up tonight depending on how you guys are finding it.
The dual screen stuff reminds me of The World Ends With You so I think I can manage it.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
The emp shielded timed boss fight where you have to use the weird lock on screen simultaneously with the cockpit view just highlights how much of a clusterfuck the controls are.

Also star wolf battles are a massive chore because of this too.

The lockon camera is just so bad because it has no input/effect to what you see on the game pad (there's not even a reticle added as far as I see) so you end up trying to guess the angle of the enemy related to you while looking at 2 screens as your enemy keeps flying about and evading you.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Just only use lock on to find get a view of a dude and then fly normally otherwise :shrug:

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
You can't switch whilst in lockon. Meaning it only locks onto the closest thing or what's already on your screen.

This is useless in a multiple enemy dog fight situation where you're trying to track one enemy who might be going after one of your buddies.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Kin posted:

The emp shielded timed boss fight where you have to use the weird lock on screen simultaneously with the cockpit view just highlights how much of a clusterfuck the controls are.

I just did the EMP boss, and while it took me a few tries, I learned that you're definitely meant to use drive-by shooting. The lasers will hit you unless you're flying perpendicular to their aim, and you have to use the motion controls to aim at the cannons, which will also allow you to see the EMP as it charges up even if you don't look at the screen. Then, since you're flying perpendicularly, you can just turn away from the ship.

My biggest problem with that fight was mostly that the EMP becomes way more frequent during the second phase and that the lasers and EMP can drain your health really fast.

EDIT:

Kin posted:

You can't switch whilst in lockon. Meaning it only locks onto the closest thing or what's already on your screen.

This is useless in a multiple enemy dog fight situation where you're trying to track one enemy who might be going after one of your buddies.

You can always let go of the target button and look for the guy you're trying to track until you can lock onto him.

Just Andi Now fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Apr 22, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Autonomous Monster posted:

Yeah, the idea is that it's supposed to integrate better with traditional animation (which is normally animated at very low "frame rates"). It, uh, doesn't really work.

Thing is you'd think they'd have learned by now. Like I said the first Berserk movie did that, but the later ones didn't because people complained.

And Guilty Gear Xrd manages to look exactly like anime even though its real-time rendering, not even pre-rendered CG, and I'm pretty sure it runs at 30fps.

So yeah, they need to realize this doesn't work at all.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Oh thank goodness.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I was all stoked to get this game but now I'm hearing it's a gimmicky as gently caress? I think I'll wait for a price drop, $60 is alot for a game.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Starhawk64 posted:

I was all stoked to get this game but now I'm hearing it's a gimmicky as gently caress? I think I'll wait for a price drop, $60 is alot for a game.

All games are gimmicky dude

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

This gimmick is that the game is fun and good

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.
I am pretty dang into (good) Star Fox games and even I wouldn't suggest paying $60 for any of them at any time. This game is real divisive and fairly niche in a way that will probably get it knocked down into the $30-$40 range in a few months, just give it time and throw down on a used copy if the swathes of released footage interests you.

It's a bummer that it doesn't click with a lot of people (hearing Dan Ryckert be cynical/spiteful is never fun) but what I've read and seen from people that do click with it, I'm pretty dang hype to get my hands on it. Space-jousting with an operatic version of the Star Wolf theme blaring in the background seems pretty loving rad.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
Here's the problem: I honestly don't feel like anything I've played is gimmicky.

Every thing I've played so far has been within the wheel house for the franchise- and when I say that I mean Star Fox SNES, Star Fox 2 and Star Fox 64.

All the design visually and most of the game mechanics don't feel like they're hamfisting any of it- I get the slight annoyance with the gamepad audio, but when you were little, wouldn't the idea of being communicated with during a level through a speaker at your controls rather than from the TV just be super badass to your little brain?

Yes, there are a couple of things that would be better if they had the option to turn it off, but there's a lot of good here!

If you played SF64 when you were younger, let this game tap into that fun and energy you had with it! That's how I've approached it so far and it's been tons of fun!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Starhawk64 posted:

Actually it's 50 like DKC:TF and Yoshi's Woolly World

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.

McStephenson posted:

All the design visually and most of the game mechanics don't feel like they're hamfisting any of it- I get the slight annoyance with the gamepad audio, but when you were little, wouldn't the idea of being communicated with during a level through a speaker at your controls rather than from the TV just be super badass to your little brain?

As much as I totally get and dig the gamepad audio thing, it's a massive pain if you want to stream/record the game, which is kinda crazy (though certainly not unprecedented for Nintendo) in an age where everyone does both of those things regularly.

Like the gamepad aiming, it seems like something that can be super rad for people into it, but should have a proper toggle for people who aren't.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

McStephenson posted:

Here's the problem: I honestly don't feel like anything I've played is gimmicky.

Every thing I've played so far has been within the wheel house for the franchise- and when I say that I mean Star Fox SNES, Star Fox 2 and Star Fox 64.

Yes, there are a couple of things that would be better if they had the option to turn it off, but there's a lot of good here!

If you played SF64 when you were younger, let this game tap into that fun and energy you had with it! That's how I've approached it so far and it's been tons of fun!

We're not little anymore dude.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

All Range Mode battles is where it feels a little wonky to get used to using the second screen to aim at first, since it seems to be kind of expecting you to start doing drive-bys when you're trying to shoot down specific targets, like boss weakpoints or like, those spider bots in the first stage, but once star wolf appears, it really started to click for me.

Space jousting with them is amazing and I love how these assholes can fly past you super close so they can shittalk you.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

McStephenson posted:

I would do this but unfortunately I seem to be unable to tap into that fun and energy from Star Fox 64 as my targeting camera keeps locking onto anything but that.

Was gifted e-shop points from a friend who knows I really liked the old games, he insisted we could play VS mode together when it comes out (which of course isn't in the game). Ended up getting the game digitally, if I'm gonna bitch about something I may as well actually play it, right?

The all-range levels and alternate vehicles are exactly as terrible as I expected they would be. It's not even that the controls make it so difficult for me to shoot at things that I'm failing missions, especially thanks to the "off" setting. I've pretty much run through the first three missions repeatedly for the last hour or so trying to get used to the controls, and haven't died once. The gamepad is extremely detracting from the whole experience. Looking away from the big spectacle on screen just to aim at things means you're distracted from things shooting at you or things you might run into. This isn't so much a problem in the first couple stages, but I can already see how frustrating the game can get when you are put into more demanding situations. The walker section at the end of the second stage seems like it'd be really bad rear end, but in practice it just kills the flow of the mission up to that point with a really awkward, cramped environment, and a camera that does not cooperate nearly as well as it should.

All that said, the soundtrack is loving amazing so far, and I wish I'd stayed strong and just bought that with my own money instead. Visually, the game is also pretty neat, there's a hell of a lot more going on in one level than there was in the majority of Assault. I grinned when Falco was all "Hey fox lets go this way- on secondthoughtmaybenot"; the dialogue is a lot snappier while still being the right kind of cheesy when it needs to. The actual flow of the stages is really neat, shown best during the first level as it transitions from the corridor shooting to the all-range section.There's a lot of things going on that show a lot of love was poured into the game as a whole, I just wish any of it directed towards trying to get motion controls/cockpit view to work in the game was put into making longer stages and better visuals. The game would have actually delivered properly on all that nostalgia it's trying to dredge up.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
I'm a couple hours into this and it's pretty good IMO. Yeah the controls are weird and designed for aliens who can think in 3 dimensions or something but you get used to (and good at) it eventually if you stick with it. The on-rails sections can be played without even looking at the gamepad which is nice if you just want the traditional space furry experience.

There's some real humor and charm in the writing and VA performance too if you're in it for that kind of thing. I'm playing this parallel to Ratchet & Clank though which makes Zero seem kind of stale in comparison, but eh. Put side by side by some of the earlier entries in the franchise it's as good if not better than SF64/Lylatwars.

I'm pretty happy with it.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I've actually been finding it a lot easier to fight Star Wolf with these controls than I ever did on 64. I just lock on, notice where they are relative to my ship on the big screen and tilt the gyro that way. The controls feel great when they click. I just wish (and I've only been to like a third of the planets, so I could be wrong) that there were more on-rails sections, the game seems pretty centered around all-range stuff.

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009
So a big portion of my decision on whether or not to get this game soon is if they added in more of the cooler mechanics from Star Fox 2: I loved that game, and its a shame it never got an actual release. But going off of the trailer videos, it seems they sort of brought it to a compromise on a few things (Walker mode being the most obvious: being able to aim your reticle with a stick and not based on distance and charge time from the enemy you're pointing at)....but there -are- some things I'd totally love to confirm/deny from those of you who are gonna be playing this all day.

Are they bringing back any of the following:

The Inter-Planetary Ballistic Missles (IPBMs)

The Drones and constant barrage on Corneria with Missile Clusters (you saw these get reworked into -single- missles in Sector Z in Star Fox 64. They were anywhere from single to six at a time that, when you take one out, all scatter.

The Satellite Defense System, to help protect against the Missiles and Drones you missed, consequently followed by

The Virus that takes over The Satellite Defense System, causing it to fire back at -you-.

The Battleships were shown off, but I don't believe they showed what happened if you let them get too close to Corneria. They break out massive cannons called Planet Busters built for....well, busting planets.
(Subnote: Will there still be Battleship Interior levels that you play as both Arwing and Walker? Like with multiple rooms, puzzles, and traps)

Will there be missions to attack a planet that's manufacturing the IPBMs to stop them from ever getting out into space (retconned into the MacBeth level in 64)? If so, will there still be the -Aquas- level, where you fight a giant squid miniboss? They probably won't include Titania's lava level (very different from the Titania in 64, think Jupiter instead of Mars.)...

...Oh yeah, best for last. Are there going to be minibosses? There were actual minibosses kind of like the end of level ones in Star Fox 1, scattered through the game on various planets/ships/bases. They showed Wolf coming in solo at the end, which -did- happen in Star Fox 2...but EVERY member of Star Wolf did as well, 1v1 dog fighting in all space dogfighting mode (not for the easily motion sick, as you were forced into first person mode, and it seems that camera viewpoint got translated pretty well to the gamepad).

I'm still -going- to buy this game, it looks like a lot of fun, and I do hope that black box isn't too many questions. Thanks guys.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

The all-range landmaster boss on Titania really seemed like a massive pain in the rear end, trying to figure out how to fight it, until I tried focusing on the cockpit screen to tell where I'm supposed to be going and aiming at, and just using the relative view of the main screen to see where I was if I wasn't looking directly at the boss, and it actually got pretty fun.

With this game, it really seems like the trick is to learn how to use both screens to your advantage. If you're focusing soley on the main screen in an all-range battle, you're going to have a harder time trying to move around and hit things when you're locked onto a target or a boss.

I really can see where people are coming from when they say that they are having problems trying to control with the gamepad and trying to use the two screens, but at the same time, its really starting to click for me, and it really really works fantastically, I feel.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Faust IX posted:

So a big portion of my decision on whether or not to get this game soon is if they added in more of the cooler mechanics from Star Fox 2: I loved that game, and its a shame it never got an actual release. But going off of the trailer videos, it seems they sort of brought it to a compromise on a few things (Walker mode being the most obvious: being able to aim your reticle with a stick and not based on distance and charge time from the enemy you're pointing at)....but there -are- some things I'd totally love to confirm/deny from those of you who are gonna be playing this all day.

Are they bringing back any of the following:

Don't expect any actual gameplay to be reminiscent of Star Fox 2 other than in passing at best.

Randumb Thots
Apr 5, 2015

murphyslaw posted:

I'm a couple hours into this and it's pretty good IMO. Yeah the controls are weird and designed for aliens who can think in 3 dimensions or something but you get used to (and good at) it eventually if you stick with it.

I mean, real spacecraft use two-stick controls for humans who think in 3 dimensions. One does yaw/roll/pitch and the other does X/Y/Z translation. So it's not quite the same setup but it's still dual-stick. TAKE THAT MOM YOU SAID SPACE CAMP WAS TOO EXPENSIVE BUT LOOK AT ME NOW I'M USING IT TO ARGUE ABOUT VIDEO GAMES ON THE INTERNET!

(Kidding of course. That said, not having played the game yet, I understand the position that a video game should not be as complex as piloting an actual spaceship.)

Realtalk, is it at all viable to only use the cockpit view and basically ignore the exterior view on the TV? I know it's not as "StarFox-y" but it seems like a more natural way to play. Or will I realize that's a dumb idea once I get home and start playing?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Randumb Thots posted:

I mean, real spacecraft use two-stick controls for humans who think in 3 dimensions. One does yaw/roll/pitch and the other does X/Y/Z translation. So it's not quite the same setup but it's still dual-stick. TAKE THAT MOM YOU SAID SPACE CAMP WAS TOO EXPENSIVE BUT LOOK AT ME NOW I'M USING IT TO ARGUE ABOUT VIDEO GAMES ON THE INTERNET!

(Kidding of course. That said, not having played the game yet, I understand the position that a video game should not be as complex as piloting an actual spaceship.)

Realtalk, is it at all viable to only use the cockpit view and basically ignore the exterior view on the TV? I know it's not as "StarFox-y" but it seems like a more natural way to play. Or will I realize that's a dumb idea once I get home and start playing?

if you hit the - button it swaps the cockpit view to your tv and also yes it is

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Randumb Thots posted:

Eh, SNES went full-cockpit on certain levels and N64 let you do it when you want, seems plenty "starfoxy" to me.

Pomp posted:

if you hit the - button it swaps the cockpit view to your tv and also yes it is

Yes it is a dumb idea or yes it is a viable way to play?

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

Randumb Thots posted:

I do think you could play it only with the cockpit view, but given the gyro aiming making it so you're not always looking at what you're flying at, you're better off trying to use a mix of both.
On-rails segments play fantastically on the main screen. And while you will want to use cockpit view more in all range battles, you'll want to use the main screen for your relative position with whatever targets you got.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

Eh, SNES went full-cockpit on certain levels and N64 let you do it when you want, seems plenty "starfoxy" to me.

Yes it is a dumb idea or yes it is a viable way to play?

yeah its fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Starhawk64 posted:

If by gimmicky you mean more or less a remake of SF64 then yes. In fact if you look up we are discussing this very thing!

• Locked thread