Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

:siren: I have reached Release Candidate 1! :siren:

This is an early RC (admittedly, more like RC 3/4) because I still need to add the internal hyperlinks and find a way to create bookmarks in a Publisher-saved PDF, but other than that I think the content's ready to go. Could I please get everyone's help proofreading this thing and figuring out anything I've missed including other than the Size Chart, which will probably be the last thing I tack on because it's rotated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Hell must have (appropriately) frozen over, because there's a good Iceman. Holy poo poo.

There's other dials here; a rare Iceman who's okay (he basically has the Wall construct as a trait and that's neat), a SR Beast who's quite good, and Malice, who's... interesting?

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

I've decided that since you apparently can't (easily) output PDF bookmarks in Publisher when you save as PDF the way Word does with Heading tags, I should just go ahead and start on the DITA version of the now-retitled Expanded Rulebook.

Grammar Aryan (or anyone else familiar with DITA), please look at the Introduction I've done to get a feel for DITA XML and let me know if I'm on the right track with it for multi-format output.

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008

ManiacClown posted:

I've decided that since you apparently can't (easily) output PDF bookmarks in Publisher when you save as PDF the way Word does with Heading tags, I should just go ahead and start on the DITA version of the now-retitled Expanded Rulebook.

Grammar Aryan (or anyone else familiar with DITA), please look at the Introduction I've done to get a feel for DITA XML and let me know if I'm on the right track with it for multi-format output.

Sure thing! I've been looking for an excuse to migrate my oXygen 17 license across to my home office rig. Just taking a quick look, you'll probably want to turn your <h1> tags into <section> tags, and then put the content of it into a <title> element. We can break the book title element out, since we'll definitely want to organize this inside a bookmap, and we can store author/contributor information in the metadata there rather than encoding it within a topic, so that we can place that information wherever we like.

I'll take some time this evening to take a look at your RC from the other day, convert a few topics, and organize them into a map.

e: Actually, this might depend somewhat on how you want to publish the DITA content. I work pretty exclusively in the DITA-OT, but let me know what platform you want to use.

The Grammar Aryan fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 19, 2016

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

The Grammar Aryan posted:

Sure thing! I've been looking for an excuse to migrate my oXygen 17 license across to my home office rig. Just taking a quick look, you'll probably want to turn your <h1> tags into <section> tags, and then put the content of it into a <title> element. We can break the book title element out, since we'll definitely want to organize this inside a bookmap, and we can store author/contributor information in the metadata there rather than encoding it within a topic, so that we can place that information wherever we like.

I'll take some time this evening to take a look at your RC from the other day, convert a few topics, and organize them into a map.

e: Actually, this might depend somewhat on how you want to publish the DITA content. I work pretty exclusively in the DITA-OT, but let me know what platform you want to use.

I'm thinking something suitable for both print and e-publication, maybe eventually a mobile app as well. It would give me motivation/an excuse to learn how to make those. I've just made a Facebook group for this project so if everyone interested in working on it is on there we can use that as a medium instead of clogging up this thread. I'll try to pretty it up a bit after I get home.

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008

ManiacClown posted:

I'm thinking something suitable for both print and e-publication, maybe eventually a mobile app as well. It would give me motivation/an excuse to learn how to make those. I've just made a Facebook group for this project so if everyone interested in working on it is on there we can use that as a medium instead of clogging up this thread. I'll try to pretty it up a bit after I get home.

Ah, okay- we could run it through a PDF plugin, and that'll hit the first two goals, with the side benefit that I can develop and maintain said plugin. We could try an EPUB plugin, as well, but in my experience, that can be a huge pain, as not all e-readers actually support the EPUB standard. Still, we can take this to the group and chat about Clix again.

That said, jeezy petes, check out the chase Sabretooth and Wild Child! This could be a pretty good counter to Nick "Balls of" Fury if you can choose a good map or have decent TK options, which his keywords definitely support.

e: fixed the link. Stray / messing things up.

The Grammar Aryan fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 19, 2016

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Ah, okay- we could run it through a PDF plugin, and that'll hit the first two goals, with the side benefit that I can develop and maintain said plugin. We could try an EPUB plugin, as well, but in my experience, that can be a huge pain, as not all e-readers actually support the EPUB standard. Still, we can take this to the group and chat about Clix again.

That said, jeezy petes, check out the chase Sabretooth and Wild Child! This could be a pretty good counter to Nick "Balls of" Fury if you can choose a good map or have decent TK options, which his keywords definitely support.

404. Here's the link. That said, Charge/Flurry/Blades will definitely ruing Fury's day. Fury shoots hard, but he goes down hard too, and with a 12 attack to Fury's 18 defense even with Fury's Prob Sabretooth's going to hit.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:
Big fan of Sabretooth and Wild Child. I wouldn't put him down as a Nick killer though, he still needs to manage to base him and not get shot to pieces with Nicks insane range.

That said on his own merits he's quite good, 12 attack regular BCF damage then pop of Wildchild for penetrating BCF. Or say gently caress all that and just flurry. Regeneration plus a healing factor. I like it a lot.

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008
I have no idea who Sugar Man is, but look at that thing. It's ridiculous and I love it. His dial is up in the evidence thread on the Realms, and he looks like he'll be a ton of fun to play. I don't really see a reason to go anything other than Axe/Hammer with him, though, outside of situations where your damage value winds up getting knocked down a bunch.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Boo-yah! One of the shops got more TMNT in. I bought 3 packs and pulled Michaelangelo, Leatherneck, and chase Donatello. Score! I then bought common Donatello and Raphael loose from under the counter for $2 each. Don isn't the best chase, but he's still a chase Turtle.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Guys: I am excited for this set.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
Just had our Uncanny X-Men pre-release. A lot of people had to drop at the last minute, which meant we were easily able to do a standard 2-booster sealed. I got fairly lucky with my pulls, landing the Quicksilver and Malice super rares. We had two chases pulled (Sunfire and Sabretooth) and one prime (Emma). We also had a lot of crap... this seems like a set where your play can't overcome your pulls, as two of my venue's best ended up at the very bottom of the heap.

I ended up running:
Malice
Quicksilver
Scalphunter
Riptide
The little Genocian Generic

Scalphunter ended up being the MVP, when paired with that Genocian's PD, Enhancement, and Plasticity shielding. Scalphunter being able to pick up either Precision Strike or Psychic Blast deals with most of the characters in the set, and an 11 attack, 3 damage, 7 range is pretty solid for his cost. If you pull him, play him!

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Got in some Turtles stuff, pulled Baxter Stockman, Leonardo, and mothafucking Krang, along with Chase Leo and an extra Shredder (possibly the best R to have a double of). I also got a whopping 13 Foot Soldiers, which holy hell is a metric ton and that makes me giddy. Even though the dials for the chases are bananas I wasn't intending to track them down, but that Leo sculpt looks incredible in the white plastic and I think I need to have all of them, in a way I haven't felt the need to get a full chase set in a long while.

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008
Played in an X-Men Prerelease last night, and man, it was a great time all around for everyone. We did 400, and I wound up running a team of:

UC Juggernaut, in the brown suit
All New Iceman, with the free barrier
Malice
Riptide
Scrambler

Round 1 I went up against:

Pixie
UC Magneto, with the 1/game free Running Shot
Dark Angel
Blockbuster
10 point Morlock that I started on Leap/Climb and Blades

We played on the Morlock Tunnels, and did some positioning wiggling while Iceman choked up the tunnels with free barriers. He had Magneto blow one away so Dark Angel could target Juggernaut to try and ping him down, and whiffed, leaving him within walking range of Scrambler. Scrambler shut down Dark Angel's powers, Juggernaut Sidestepped, got his Attack perplexed by Malice, and then ran over Dark Angel. Then Riptide ran up, Sidestepped, and Pulse Waved most of his team away, also knocking Dark Angel into a wall for bonus damage. After that, it was cleanup, and I only lost Scrambler.

Round 2 against:

Sabretooth and Wild Child
C Storm
R Professor X
UC Magneto
Harpoon
C Wolverine

On the tunnels again. More positioning wiggling, more Iceman choking the tunnels. He TKs Sabretooth and Wild Child out after having Professor X Mind Lock Malice's Imperv away. Sabretooth runs up on her, flurries, misses one, then blades her for 6, KOing her. She then pops onto Juggernaut, giving him Shape Change and Perplex. Juggernaut clocks him, then Iceman RCEs him, then Riptide Pulses for the KO, pushing, but then healing. After that, he had to try and tie up Juggernaut, since he couldn't get to the rest of my team, and it was cleanup.

Round 3 against:

UC Sabretooth
All New Jean Grey
UC Wolverine
C Nightcrawler
R Nightcrawler

We played on the School map this time, and I moved partway up the field, then choked it with Iceman. He used Jean to TK out Sabretooth and moved his team up. Another TK and Sabretooth runs up to Scrambler, who he hits, but rolls a 1 on Blades, which reduces to 0 because Scrambler has Toughness from iceman. Sabretooth went down shortly after that, and then it was a matter of using Iceman's blocking to keep Wolverine at bay while cleaning up the rest of the team.

This UC Juggernaut is insane. He took one damage all night, and that was from a crit miss. When he got hit, he would either make Imperv at range or they couldn't beat the die roll to take the helmet off. Iceman is a surprisingly good attacker, and his free blocking really let me control the field. Malice is a threat you can't ignore, and when you take her out, she just goes on somebody else, and the way her trait is worded, you don't score her until you KO the person she gets equipped to. Scrambler is the ultimate one-shot piece for taking out things you can counter, and Riptide can Pulse Wave every turn. I like where the game is going, honestly, because even recently a 45 point piece is one you would ignore until the end, because why bother? It can't do anything.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

I got to do an X-Men pre-release. It was a 1 booster draft.

I ended up running:

SR Quicksilver
50 point Magneto
Stonewall
50 Point Nightcrawler
Time locked angel.

Round 1 I got the bye.

Round 2 I went against

Brood Queen
Stonewall
Time Locked Cyclops
Riptide
Morlock

Oh god my dice. The first half of the game I could not hit anything, I kept missing by one and switched die 4 times before getting a combo that worked. Thankfully my opponent also couldn't hit but he did have a blast force blasting my squishy guys with stonewall. He also got a ton of poisons in. Game went back and forth and in the end came down to his stonewall versus my stonewall and Nightcrawler. He could not miss and I managed to miss with a 12 on an 18. Finally Nightcrawler plinked him, he missed a big CCE on my stonewall and I KO'd him with a 5 damage CCE from my stonewall.

Round 3 versus

Iceman SR
John Greycrow
50 point Storm
Morlock
Marauder Sabretooth

Quicksilver ran roughshod this game. His speed shadow ability was key. Biggest move of he game was magneto singlehandedly crippling Sabretooth with a free action RS followed by a regular attack. It let quicksilver get the KO and keep moving to drop a speed shadow near the rest of his guys whole still hiding behind a wall. I took my lumps though, losing Nightcrawler and Stonewall. Quicksilver was too much though.

Ended up second place and walked out with a Dr. Nemesis. I'm very impressed with Quicksilver

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Started playtesting for worlds. The removal of Lantern batteries makes for a cooler experience but the lack of modern maps kinda messes thing up. One team I had high hopes in fell flat on its face against a matchup I am 100% certain I will see at worlds.

Frustrating but illuminating. Though the team will become viable once GOTG rolls out as its only the Zombies that clown it.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

This dearth of map variety is the big reason I wish they'd start putting them in Fast Forces again. Otherwise it's just the occasional OP kit and the starters that (almost) always sell out quickly. That's just not enough variety to really be able to strategize around. What was the team you ran up against?

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

ManiacClown posted:

This dearth of map variety is the big reason I wish they'd start putting them in Fast Forces again. Otherwise it's just the occasional OP kit and the starters that (almost) always sell out quickly. That's just not enough variety to really be able to strategize around. What was the team you ran up against?

Zombie Team Base

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

The Turtle Van dial is on the realms and it's just perfect. I want it so bad.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Morand posted:

The Turtle Van dial is on the realms and it's just perfect. I want it so bad.
THERE'S A PIZZA DIAL

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Here are Cyclops, Beast, and Angel from FF:UXM. That Angel is going to be this FF's FF: Chaos War Scarlet Witch.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

ManiacClown posted:

Here are Cyclops, Beast, and Angel from FF:UXM. That Angel is going to be this FF's FF: Chaos War Scarlet Witch.
He only gives the free charge to one of this ANX buddies, which is a major limiter on how gamebreaking he can be.

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008

ManiacClown posted:

The real prize is the Jean Grey out of the FF. 50 points, Willpower, full-dial TK, and the first three clicks have a special TK she can use for free if she has no action tokens.She can TK up a KC Shazam, he can HSS somewhere, get back to where he was, then she can TK him back to where he started. Or, you know, less abusive uses of power, I guess.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

CapnAndy posted:

He only gives the free charge to one of this ANX buddies, which is a major limiter on how gamebreaking he can be.

Ah, right, I missed that part. My brain filled in "shares a keyword." Really, Cyclops being able to choose the direction of knockback is going to need a clarification. Can he choose a direction that's toward him, using Force Blast as a tractor beam? It would be hilarious, but they'll probably come back with "the direction of knockback must always be away from the attacker" or something along that line.

Edit: Asked. Let's see what happens. If he can indeed choose ANY direction, give him Quake somehow and hijinks will ensue.

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 26, 2016

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

The real prize is the Jean Grey out of the FF. 50 points, Willpower, full-dial TK, and the first three clicks have a special TK she can use for free if she has no action tokens.She can TK up a KC Shazam, he can HSS somewhere, get back to where he was, then she can TK him back to where he started. Or, you know, less abusive uses of power, I guess.

Cheap Jean Grey TK yo-yo of a HSS beatstick. And the game comes full circle.

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008

ManiacClown posted:

Ah, right, I missed that part. My brain filled in "shares a keyword." Really, Cyclops being able to choose the direction of knockback is going to need a clarification. Can he choose a direction that's toward him, using Force Blast as a tractor beam? It would be hilarious, but they'll probably come back with "the direction of knockback must always be away from the attacker" or something along that line.

Edit: Asked. Let's see what happens. If he can indeed choose ANY direction, give him Quake somehow and hijinks will ensue.

Knockback is just an effect that has a set definition: "move" (since knockback isn't movement) the character a number of spaces equal to damage taken in a fixed direction. Here, away from the source of the knockback, with trajectory determined by relative positioning: if ordinal, then in a straight line, and on a diagonal if not on an ordinal. Since Cyclops can pick direction, the fixed direction becomes a choice, so as written, yes, he can pull people towards him, possibly with the rationalization that he's ricocheting the shot off of something and winging them in the back of the head.

Even if it doesn't make sense, there's no reason as written that he can't, so he can, because sometimes this game just doesn't make any drat sense. Forget about it, Maniac, it's HeroClix.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Since Cyclops can pick direction, the fixed direction becomes a choice, so as written, yes, he can pull people towards him, possibly with the rationalization that he's ricocheting the shot off of something and winging them in the back of the head.

Even if it doesn't make sense, there's no reason as written that he can't, so he can, because sometimes this game just doesn't make any drat sense. Forget about it, Maniac, it's HeroClix.

This is the sort of thing I always loved about HeroClix.

Steve Vader posted:

Cheap Jean Grey TK yo-yo of a HSS beatstick. And the game comes full circle.

And this isn't.

Maybe I'll jump back into the game for a little bit with Superior Foes, but probably not. What with money being tight, and focusing on as well as running events for another game. I still enjoy seeing what comes out though.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Had my first UXM sealed, I pulled nothing remarkable (especially considering the case opened for players contained 6SRs plus chase Magneto, prime Emma, and prime Pheonix) so I went with:

C Storm
U Jean Grey
R Sunfire
R Sabretooth

It was a toss up between the U Sabretooth for devastating crowd control or the R for a longer dial with more chances to heal, I opted for the R.

Round 1 vs U Storm, C Wolverine, Genoshian Magistrate, U Cyclops, Stonewall. I went for a big opening strike on Storm, hoping to cripple or KO her in one go, and rolled a 1 on Blades. Sabretooth didn't last for me to push him, and Stonewall locked me down; I wailed on him ineffectually but my opponent also couldn't hit poo poo, so ultimately Victor was the only casualty.

Round 2 vs R Juggernaut, Professor X, Thunderbird, C Nightcralwer. Juggs carried Chuck up, but it was too close and Sabretooth got launched out to eat him alive while Nightcralwer got shot to death. Unfortunately after that my dice abandoned me and I could only chip away at Thunderbird and kept missing Juggs while he ran roughshod over me. Sabretooth managed to land one last good hit and KO Thunderbird, then Juggs ran him over and I was left with last click Jean and Sunfire. I did manage to get two Pulse Waves off, but he killed Jean and Sunfire missed his only opportunity to Crit Hit Juggernaut to death before getting flattened.

Round 3 vs chase Magneto, U Storm, Scalphunter. Storm missed an opening Energy Explosian and Krakoa tagged her for it, then Sunfire got a buff and finished her off, and Sabretooth got launched across the map to slash Scalphunter with a 6 damage blades. Mags tried to throw metal at Sabretooth but only hit once, Crit missing the second time and missing the standard attack. I TKd my now Flurry/Blades Sabretooth next to Mags and managed to knock him to last click, where Sunfire let loose a nova blast to KO him.

I got fifth place but still got a Nemesis, so I'm happy, then grabbed two more boosters for that Excalibur Juggs and another Sunfire, but most importantly two Brood.

I'm unsure of this set in sealed, it seems like you can do well but the SRs really imbalance things; the top four teams all had SRs while the bottom four did not (with the exception of chase Mags guy, whose dice just hated him and he went 0-3, despite being an excellent player). The winner had Proteus who was apparently eating people alive, followed by Rogue with her bananas versatility, Beast's mega-Outwit, and Phoenix prime just annihilating people and never dying.

Whatever, I'll get the few characters I care about, build up a giant Brood army, and focus on my Turtles until the next set of that comes out. Well, and running a giant Marauders team with Morand's Sinister at the first opportunity.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Okay, so, we had an X-Men pre-release last night. After two boosters, I ran:

- Cameron Hodge
- Riptide
- C Storm

Round 1: Versus evil Juggernaut, Riptide, Harpoon, U Magneto

This was on the tunnel map. Storm carried out Riptide, and the next turn, he ran up and PW'd for free - and missed. This was a running theme for the night. The game was very close, but the difference was Hodge getting based by Juggs, and being unable to knock his helmet off. Magneto and the Marauders took out Riptide and Storm, and everybody ganged up on Hodge. Hodge was tremendous, though - he's able to absorb and dodge quite a bit, and keeps healing up. Eventually, Juggernaut just pounded Hodge to death. Oh well - still very competitive.

Round 2: Versus Mr. Sinister, Chase Magneto, 10-pt Morlock, and Lady Mastermind

This was on the school map, with Krakoa rules. I pasted Sinister immediately. Riptide was great early on, since his PW took down a Morlock and hurt Sinister right away, and the next turn, he PW'd again to knock Sinister down to click 3. From there, Hodge destroyed Sinister from range. Lady M hung around for a while, but eventually ate it at the hands of Riptide. Storm's free smoke cloud was huge in giving cover to her and Hodge, and Magneto kept missing his attacks. Eventually, though, Magneto's attacks just broke through, and wiped out Riptide and Storm. Magneto was able to dance around, and finally got Hodge after a looooong time.

Round 3: Versus R Sabretooth, Scrambler, R Magneto, Caliban, Prism

Again on the school map, but we ignored the Krakoa thing. Went to Riptide again to run out into the open and just PW a group. Storm sat in hindering to perplex up Riptide's defense, and lay smoke cover. Hodge took cover in hindering, and just took shots around the map. Sabretooth and Magneto missed over and over, even with Magneto getting help from Caliban, and Scrambler sitting next to Hodge, nerfing him. Neither of us could land any rolls until I finally got an attack to hit on Scrambler. With his powers back, Hodge went to work: pasted Sabretooth, and used the Impale special to punt Magneto away from Caliban. My opponent eventually decided that Storm's smoke cloud was his main obstacle, and pushed Magneto to KO her - which he did, not realizing he was pushing Magneto to death. After that, Riptide took out Caliban, and Hodge wiped the floor with Prism.

1-2 in three pretty close games. Storm's free smoke cloud along with the perplex and taxi ability was a ton of fun, Riptide is a cheap PW-er, and Hodge is just a monster who refuses to die. Hodge doesn't really have enough move and attack or speed value for my liking, but he's a lot of fun, and very frustrating for your opponents. There were only four of us, so we each got a prize, and I took a Dr. Nemesis.

Things worth noting:

- In a case with two bricks, four promo prizes, etc. - it came with just three maps. :\
- Between two bricks: 1 chase, two primes, one Brood generic
- My noteworthy pulls: Brood queen, Brood generic, SR Iceman, SR Rogue, SR Hodge

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

I played at a venue that did not get pre-release so I had a normal constructed game.

It was "What does that team ability do again?" 600 points, resources allowed. Your team must have at least 6 different printed Team Abilities.

I did the Avengers!

Con Dr. Strange (Mystics)
NFAOS Iron Man at 50 (Shield)
AOU Movie Hawkeye (Avengers Initiative)
AOU OP Set Captain America (Police)
UXM Quicksilver (Avengers/X-Men)
Jarvis (Avengers)
NFAOS Spider-Woman (Spider-Man)
Captain America's Motorcycle

Captain Marvel ID Card (Free)
Shield Level 7 ID Card (Free)
Bucky ID Card (Free)
Triathlon ID Card

I just wanted to play quicksilver and kept tinkering on the realms until I had enough TA's. Ended up with a fairly solid team IMHO, some prob, multiple attackers, multiple outwits and perplex.

Round 1 versus

AVX Scarlet witch on lower value
Civil War Ironman with his plus 5 trait
AOU Iron Fist
NFAOS Steve Rodgers
AVX Wolverine at 125?
Phoenix Force. Colossus assigned to Fist, Steve got Cyclops, Wolverine got Magik?

I won map and threw us on the new civil war map with lots of blocking and elevation. He was cautious, moving down on elevation and staying behind blocking as well. I also moved up with all my sidesteps. Cap jumped in his bike. He cleared as did I and rolled that everyone had a speed of 3. He was able to get a running shot off on My strange despite the lock but I hit senses. My whole team then opened up on him and knocked him silly. He moved down the rest of his force, and iron man hit spider woman but wolverine using some clever positioning got a charge off on quicksilver. Thankfully he missed. I called in nick with strange. Quicksilver took down cap and dropped a shadow near his guys. Nick with shield and perplex knocked wolverine silly and was then KO'd. Iron man ran back to the witch to be healed but the bike came up and did some damage before being KO'd. As soon as Hawkeye got on the roof that was game as he was attacking every round thanks to avengers assemble.

1-0

Round 2 versus

OP Green Lantern
OP Barry Flash
Worlds Finest Duo.
FF Captain Cold
A partial round table with Superman, Supergirl, power girl, and Wonder Woman. I tossed us on Hanks Lab so that Jarvis could tidy up. Early on he did barrier games while moving down, with some sidestep/perplex/shield shenanigans I was able to bust a wall and get a big shot on Lantern and Cold with Hawkeye. His flash came down and hit my Hawkeye to a senses click. Duo positioned. Busted his barrier with a pushing spider girl and took away senses on Flash, perplexed quicksilver to a 13 attack and KO'd flash. Duo came down and hit Hawkeye but I made senses. 2 turns in a row I hit Crimson band and managed to lock down the duo which basically let me get my guys in position to take him down. Cold fell just before the final blow and Green Lantern soon after.

Round 3 versus a whole bunch of cheap guys including a morphing jar and turtle, and FF president lex

Long story short, Hawkeye singlehandedly wrecked this team. I'd keep his range high and triple target all the guys. He'd always pick don't get an action token so I'd just keep doing this. Once turtle died quicksilver then came into play and that was the final nail but Hawkeye was the star.

3-0 and chose an ooze object as my prize because it looks hilarious.

Morand fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 29, 2016

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Sometimes what I can accomplish when I put my mind to it scares me:

I can't wait for the 300 point "no ranged attacks" game in two weeks 😁

Anybody notice how lacking the keywords have been of late? For whatever reason, Slash doesn't have the Animal keyword, and then X-Men has Sugar Man, Cameron Hodge, and two generics but no Genosha keyword (and honestly other people like Magneto, Emma Frost, and Wolfsbane could and should just as easily have it), no Mystical on Hodge and the perpetual lack of a Phalanx keyword, no Sunfire with AIM or Horsemen, the odd distinction between X-Men and All New X-Men, and drat just give me some Nast Boys already.

Sanschel fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Apr 30, 2016

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
I can't really speak for the rest of them, but I can at least explain Slash. It's the Archie comics version and is an alien.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

So the X-Men prerelease was yesterday, and quite frankly I thought I pulled garbage. I threw together what I regarded as basically the only playable 300 point team possible out of my underwhelming choices:

SR Beast
X-23
Thunderbird
Vanisher

For a 290 point team that broke theme with Vanisher because I ran out of X-Men and didn't want to play 50 points down. I figured I was ultra-boned and would be lucky to place in the top half.

Round 1 was against rare Cyclops, Pixie, and two Colossuses. I learned three things very quickly: Vanisher is an amazing taxi, Beast's "naw gently caress line of sight I'm gonna outwit everyone in an 8 square radius of me" power is really, really good, and X-23 is a murder machine. I had Vanisher bring everyone up so they were 5 squares away from the Colossuses, except for Thunderbird, who was within range. My opponent took the bait, having Cyclops shoot Thunderbird and then Colossus come up to paste him for the KO. I took the +1 to all my stats for the next turn and had Beast charge in for an attack that hurt decently, but its real effect was to put him within 4 of the entire team so I could shut down the defense on Colossus who'd hit Thunderbird, Pixie's perplex, and everyone else's move-and-attack. Then X-23 charge/flurried and only needed the first attack to KO Colossus. Cyclops ran, but Vanisher just followed him, carrying X-23, while Beast jumped around making Colossus and Pixie look bad. Cyclops couldn't run far enough to both avoid X-23 and stay out of Beast's outwit zone, and I ended up locking down his entire team and then bringing X-23 in to carve them into tiny pieces.

Round 2 against Sabretooth and Wild Child, Storm, Thunderbird, and Warpath. Sabretooth isn't so scary when his charge gets outwitted and he has to just stand there and get gutted by X-23. He did, however, manage a unique achievement: every other time in every other round, when X-23 charge/blades/flurried, her target died on the first strike and she couldn't use the second attack. Sabretooth was the only piece to need two stabs to take down. Storm couldn't do anything useful and Beast held Thunderbird and Warpath immobile until we could get around to murdering them in turn.

Round 3 was against Morand, playing Quicksilver, uncommon Sabretooth, non-prime Kitty, and non-prime Emma. He was very, very careful, counting out before the game Vanisher's move and then clearly marking the rows where Beast's ultra-outwit and normal outwit could reach. And so I decided I needed to throw a wrench into his planning and, when Vanisher moved up, I put Beast and X-23 behind Vanisher, two rows back from where Morand was expecting them to be. I knew he wasn't going to walk into my outwit zone and let me stand his pieces in place when he could have Quicksilver run in and leave speed shadows, and I knew that both of our teams were punchy and in a straight punch-up mine was better, so I wanted to make him keep Quicksilver away from the rest of his team so I could fight on my terms. And it worked, as he ran Quicksilver up to strike at my guys; he got a hit in on Beast but now he was half a board away from the rest of his team and within charge range. That meant that I got to try to hit him back; I think Beast hit but X-23 missed. Next turn he pushed Quicksilver to run away (I was betting he wouldn't do that or I would have outwitted his hypersonic), so I sent Vanisher after him to keep him occupied while the rest of his team came in to mix it up with my guys. Without Quicksilver around they didn't have a chance, and I was careful to keep Thunderbird in Emma's line of fire so she couldn't mind control Beast or X-23. I wrecked the rest of the team with X-23 continuing her oneshotting ways, and then it was just Quicksilver against my entire team, although Beast was banged up. Morand kept on attacking Beast, and knocked him onto a plasticity click, which was bad news. Vanisher carried the whole team over, with Beast basing Quicksilver so he couldn't get away so easy, and with the slippery bastard pinned down, I KO'd him the next turn (although he made his senses rolls three times, and finally went down to Beast, who with a 9 attack was the most unlikely one to actually hit him). Attacking Beast was a major mistake, I think, and it's one that all my opponents made. Yes, Beast has that outwit that you want gone, but he's hard to hit and has a deep dial. Neither of those things is true about X-23. She'll heal, yes, but she's fragile and she loses that charge/flurry as soon as you knock her off top click, and she's so deadly if you leave her alone.

So yeah, the team I thought was just making the best out of garbage pulls went 3-0, losing Thunderbolt once and with two clean sweeps. I am terrible at telling when teams are going to be good.

I got Dr. Nemesis and then we got to buy up the unsold boosters, I pulled another Beast, and traded him for vampire Wolverine. Yay me! Also, there was another team that went 3-0, but I beat it in points -- it had uncommon Juggernaut and Malice and would just throw Malice at the enemy to get killed and give Juggernaut uncounterable shape change, so no wonder nobody could beat it. I really don't know if I could have beaten it or not; it would have come down to a simple question of if I could pop his helmet off, and if I could, could I do it before half my team had been stomped into the pavement? Once the helmet comes off I can outwit him and carve him up, but until then I literally can't hurt him. Would have been interesting.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 2, 2016

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

So the X-Men prerelease was yesterday, and quite frankly I thought I pulled garbage. I threw together what I regarded as basically the only playable 300 point team possible out of my underwhelming choices:

Wait so is the set still not out or just about out depending on deliveries? I sorta had the impression it was completely out since every figure has been up on the realms for a few weeks now and was balking at some of the prices for the SRs I want, set not being out would explain why even Pixie costs a shitload more than SRs usually do. Obviously over here in the UK we have to wait about 6 weeks for a set to come out after the US and the Realms are talking like it's out in the US so I just assumed it was.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

thebardyspoon posted:

Wait so is the set still not out or just about out depending on deliveries? I sorta had the impression it was completely out since every figure has been up on the realms for a few weeks now and was balking at some of the prices for the SRs I want, set not being out would explain why even Pixie costs a shitload more than SRs usually do. Obviously over here in the UK we have to wait about 6 weeks for a set to come out after the US and the Realms are talking like it's out in the US so I just assumed it was.
It's officially out on Wednesday, but when product starts coming in ahead of time for prereleases people on the realms always open it up and start posting dials.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Oh yeah I know that but usually it's like, a few days before the set comes out that everything is up I feel. Gap felt longer this time I guess, hopefully the prices go down a little then haha.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Any idea if there'll be an unofficial Heroclix event at GenCon this year?

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Full Set List Poster for Civil War.

SLOP deets.

Lack of FF and X-Men means Thunderbolts and Young Avengers can get in, I guess.

Steve Vader fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 3, 2016

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

This whole thing's looking like such a shitshow, prize-wise. There's 6 monthly prizes of which you can win 3, max, at random, and there's 8 grand prizes of which you can win one. Whafuk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008
"Oh god we're having problems with player retention past the first month or so what do we do?!"
"IDEAS. ALL OF THEM. DON'T VET THEM, JUST DO THEM."
"FUUUUUCK."

At least, that's how I imagine it. It's been the pattern since FI, anyway.

• Locked thread