Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Slugworth posted:

Tezzor's post about the prequel commentary was profoundly boring compared to any Cnut post about the prequels.

Nonfiction is often less interesting than fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Tezzor posted:

No, there's plenty new, as I said. For Star Wars and cinema in general? How about the first Star Wars film and the first total blockbuster to have a black man and woman as its leads?

"First total blockbuster?" I doubt that's true, and it doesn't impact the movie itself much. It's certainly a progressive decision, and they're fine in their roles, but that's about it.

quote:

Even if there weren't anything new in there, "newness" is not some be-all-end-all, except among the kind of pretentious turds for whom a movie's quality is predicated on whether or not one can provide an "interesting reading" about it

So what new is there in the movie to justify it being made and released? Some sense of "victory" over the prequels (hence "Star Wars is good again")? You can just watch the OT for the exact same effect.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 22, 2016

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

So what new is there in the movie to justify it being made and released?

Quality; characters, stories, actors, contexts and audiences.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

The Kingfish posted:

Tezzor is the wang to SuperMechagodzilla's win.

I guess, if you want to focus on Tezzor's wang. He's not really my type.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
The prequels are good and I would wager that most people who think so don't actively hate TFA; it's just that it's defining characteristic is how uncontroversial it is.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Phylodox posted:

I guess, if you want to focus on Tezzor's wang. He's not really my type.
I'm not convinced you know him well enough to make that call.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Neurolimal posted:

This is reliant on the theory that Luke is her father, though. I don't think its' fair to critique the movie for something with strenuous implication at best.

Without that implication Rey starts out hopeless and surviving while reliving the past, and ends determined and ready to become a Jedi. There's actually some interesting inversion of Ahsoka's own arc there.

It's a weak arc no matter what it's supposed to be, because Rey is such a thinly sketched character who isn't given very strong or believable motivations for what she does. What past is Rey even reliving? We don't know. We don't know a drat thing about Rey's past, or why the prospect of returning to it is so appealing that it makes the absolute desolation and misery of staying on Jakku worth it to her. We don't know why Rey ends determined and ready to become a Jedi, because we don't actually know anything about Rey, or anything that would make the prospect of being a Jedi meaningful or attractive to her. The actual character work in this movie--that is, anything other than surface likability attributable mainly to the well-cast actors--is just plain poor.

This movie was hastily written from basically scratch in a matter of a few months to hit an imposed deadline, and it really, really, really shows.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Tezzor posted:

Quality; characters, stories, actors, contexts and audiences.

It doesn't do anything better than ANH or ESB do. Once you tire of the presentation, there's nothing more there.

Danger posted:

The prequels are good and I would wager that most people who think so don't actively hate TFA; it's just that it's defining characteristic is how uncontroversial it is.

TFA boldly moves from the saturday morning cartoon conflict of "Rebels vs. Evil Authority" to the untested ground of "Good Army vs Evil Army".

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 22, 2016

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Danger posted:

I don't hate TFA, in the sense that I don't think it's an abomination, and there are undeniably aspects of it that are well-executed. I kind of expect more than that, though. That's like the bare minimum I would have expected from Star Wars: Episode VII from legendary screenwriter Lawrence Kasdan and renowned filmmaker J.J. Abrams.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Cnut the Great posted:

We don't know why Rey ends determined and ready to become a Jedi, because we don't actually know anything about Rey, or anything that would make the prospect of being a Jedi meaningful or attractive to her.

What if she saw a lazer sword and had a bunch of midichlorians

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
*plays duel of fates and watches the battle*

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Tezzor posted:

Nonfiction is often less interesting than fantasy.

This is makes me question you.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

PBS Newshour posted:

*plays duel of fates and watches the battle*

i can literally point to a star wars fanfilm involving film students swinging lightsabers at each other that is better shot and gives me more reason to care about what is happening

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Slugworth posted:

I'm not convinced you know him well enough to make that call.

Well, I never said I couldn't be convinced. :allears:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Danger posted:

I think this is an accurate statement. The prequels are fine and TFA is fine. Not amazing but not bad either. I feel the same way about ANH and RotJ. It seems to be only the most rabid fans of the OT that hate the prequels with such a passion.

Star Wars is a series of decent films, ESB being the one and only standout.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Basebf555 posted:

I think this is an accurate statement. The prequels are fine and TFA is fine. Not amazing but not bad either. I feel the same way about ANH and RotJ. It seems to be only the most rabid fans of the OT that hate the prequels with such a passion.

Star Wars is a series of decent films, ESB being the one and only standout.

The prequels are absolute poo poo on every level except the soundtrack, some of the visual effects, and being mostly written in a human language

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Cnut the Great posted:

We don't know a drat thing about Rey's past, or why the prospect of returning to it is so appealing that it makes the absolute desolation and misery of staying on Jakku worth it to her. We don't know why Rey ends determined and ready to become a Jedi, because we don't actually know anything about Rey, or anything that would make the prospect of being a Jedi meaningful or attractive to her.

Rey was waiting for her family. She is overly attached to people that abandoned her. She went to Luke because she just awakened the Force and is some mix of curious and afraid about it, as well as confronted by the reality that she has a NEW family to protect (Finn) from some nutjob named Kylo Ren...who also happens to use the Force. Her face when she holds out the saber to Luke is by no means a "let's go" face, it's a terrified face.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Tezzor posted:

The prequels are absolute poo poo on every level except the soundtrack, some of the visual effects, and being mostly written in a human language

I'm aware that you feel this way, thanks for reiterating it though.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The hilariously lunatic hatred the prequels continue to inspire after years and years is enough to justify their existence.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I would have expected a better manifesto after two months' preparation time.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

The hilariously lunatic hatred the prequels continue to inspire after years and years is enough to justify their existence.

i'm afraid this post does not say anything new and therefore should never have been made. i'm so sorry

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Such as? I don't think I've missed anything after I started posting.

I don't have the name of every person with a reading down, so I'l just quote mine:

In continuing the theme of slavery from prior films:

quote:

It's not 'done away with', progress is made. Droids are free, but there still exist people trying to enslave them, and they still work their old positions. Star Wars protagonists just don't tolerate it in the same way older protagonists did.

Neurolimal posted:

What aspect of the movie is positive of slavery or depicts protagonists engaging in or supporting slavery? It's notable that, in a star wars film, we are never shown instances of droids being abused or treated as a lesser race being tolerated, the audience insert even trusts his life to a tiny droid. We get the first example of a droid retiring in Star Wars history

Neurolimal posted:

Humans go out of their way to prevent a droid from being enslaved, droids are not scrapped for being suboptimal (in the PT droids are constantly scrapped for newer war machines, in the NT a diplomat is not only outdated but can't even shake hands with communicatees, he gets a new arm and is provided a senior position in the Resistance), droids are allowed to do non-servile things like take naps or relax in bars.

It's not perfect, it shows flaws, but it's still progress.

Neurolimal posted:

quote:

Again, why did this happen? What changed to make this so?"
Yet more good questions introduced in the first episode of the New Trilogy, The Force Awakens.

I don't think its a huge stretch to believe that ousting the all-white male human Imperials and having two heroes of the rebellion be droids gave them a bit more respect in the republic.

E: I actually agree with the assertion that Snoke is not an immediate bad guy. Its obvious from Kylo that disney/abrams/the writers want more understandable, Darth Vader style villains. Snoke has undeniable fatherly tones to his scenes (especially since Hux and Kylo are set up to be in a sibling rivalry), and I doubt its a coincidence that neither he nor his pupils use the Sith title.

There's direct comparisons between BB8 and Unkar, to Freemen and slave reclaimers, with Rey acting as a sympathetic worker who chooses to protect a fellow downtrodden member than to not-starve. Slavery in Star Wars has progressed to a less explored territory; the integration of slaves into free society, and those that refuse to recognize it. One of the biggest aspects of the Republic in TFA is its fair treatment of droids, and First Order, just as the Empire and Trade Federation before it (KKK, Independent South, Plantation owners), does not treat droids as equal members of its society.

On Starkiller:

Neurolimal posted:

How does your belief that Starkiller is meant to be imposing, with the fact that the resistance was going to specifically have a weapon to stop death stars, the base taking up around 10 minutes of film, and the fact that three people die to stop Starkiller?

Aren't you one of the posters who gawk at the idea of film concepts, tones, metaphors, etc. Happening 'By accident' ?

Neurolimal posted:

TFA is primarily about the generational shift and millenials. The starkiller sequence is about the new generation decisively trouncing old-generation ideas and tactics. Conservatives blow up the liberal-controlled white house, then the leftists usurp the conservatives

Additionally, Starkiller continues the themes of the original trilogy, with a numerically weak guerilla force defeating the polished war machines of the imperialist enemies. They literally Shock and Awe the Republic, and the resistance members are not dissipated.

on Jakku interaction:

Neurolimal posted:

Their lack of interesting interaction is in itself an interesting interaction. In accordance with Rey's life mirroring that of reality's youth, Jakku itself represents the uncaring routine-focused society. Nobody has time to save a droid, nobody has time to help each other, nobody has time for anybody. Actual american culture is represented better in this way than having Rey sit with other scavengers go "Boy, it sure is BORING around here! And whats the deal with these rations?!?"

Tatooine was a defiant struggle for notoriety, while Jakku is a desperate struggle for survival. I don't know how you can post that image of Rey fighting back while everyone else goes about their business, and a meek alien rests next to his wares feet away...and say that there is nothing interesting to read from this.

It's a rather brilliant bit of storytelling that comes from working around limitations; instead of halfassing social interactions in the already crowded timeframe of the movie and Jakku in particular, the film instead chooses to leave Jakku socially barren, which in turn makes it quite representative of the reality of american society (especially among the impoverished, speaking from experience).

On expectations:

quote:

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

You still haven't explained what you believe the film to be subverting.

It's set up to appear to be a return to Old Star Wars, when in reality not only is it New Star Wars, but characters and imagery from Old Star Wars repeatedly fails when opposing New Star Wars. It leads the viewers into believing that they're going to watch what they think they want (a nostalgic trip with a derivative story) and not only doesn't go in that direction, but actively persuades the audience into giving new Star Wars ideas a chance.

How much talk do you see about Han Solo outside his death and Ford's enjoyment, or C3PO, or Leia? How much do you see about Hux, Kylo, Knights of Ren, Poe, Finn, Rey, BB-8, etcetera?

quote:

Martman posted:

What do Old Star Wars and New Star Wars mean? Is it just a list of their contents? Like, Darth Vader is Old Star Wars, and Kylo is New Star Wars, and that's as far as we should go?

it just means accepting new content instead of clinging to what's comfortable and accepted as good. First Order is stuck in the past and loses because they are cargo culting an old failed regime. Han tries to appeal to Kylo without understanding his mental state because he saw his friend manage it decades ago. Finn breaks out of the murderous civil war re-enactment group and finds his place in the present.

Basically, dont be a dick about your nostalgia, accept that new things come and often succeed the old things, approach it on its level instead of underneath the ground with your fossils.

quote:

homullus posted:

Do you see the "success of idealism" and "growing up" in TFA? Slavery, we have Finn (not Rey, and not droids). I can see the argument that the prequels had themes of respect and integrity, but not the franchise as a whole.

Rey is too cynical regarding Star Wars to believe anything new could be better than waiting for Old Star Wars to return, Luke is rewarded for believing Vader can change and for holding onto his beliefs, Kylo is tempted by his father, but succeeds by refusing to let go of his faith in Snokes' guidance. Rey saves Finn and herself by facing her fears instead of continuing to flee to familiar wastelands.

Han and Luke grow significantly from their initial immaturity as the series progresses, Rey learns to let go of her fears and her nostalgia to actually live (literally, in the case of the Starkiller forest). Finn abandons the guidance of the stormtroopers' parental figures (Hux and Phasma) to make his own decisions and live by his own morals.

Finn frees himself from mental indoctrination, Rey chooses to starve rather than sell BB-8 into slavery, C3-P0 and R2-D2 finish their arcs by exercising their freedom to express their individuality (C3-P0) and retire (R2-D2), and neither are discarded or destroyed for becoming suboptimal (losing an arm, opting not to work), none of which would have been tolerated in their slave lives.

I admit that some of it is a stretch, but no more than the OT and PT have been stretched within this thread to fit other readings.

TFA succeeds by appealing to both OT and PT fans by referencing both and combining the stylistic and developmental characteristics of both. It also primes OT fans to accept new, different things by directly relating them to the OT films ("more of the same") while growing into its own image by the end.

A lot of this is skin-deep skimming of the last 3 pages of my posts, There's way more (I didn't even get to the Cantina, which I loved and wrote a shitload of words about WRT just one pair of figures), and there's other (far better written) readings from other people all throughout the thread.

I think it mainly comes down to preference in terms of what topics you enjoy reading into; those more interested in historical moments and abstract concepts aren't likely to immediately enjoy TFA (especially if they go in having decided it's 'okay'), while those interested in reading into what films say about their period in time and modern day commentary will enjoy TFA. I imagine Verhooven would be more appreciative of the film than Ken Burns.

Hallowed
May 28, 2007

It's a pipe bomb!
According to a Reddit post Rey is Anakin re-incarnated through a virgin birth from one of Luke's dead students.

I don't know if I love it - or hate it.

Stacks
Apr 22, 2016
It's frustrating because TFA has a drat solid presentation. It's a very entertaining and watchable film. Unfortunately it comes at the expense of being an indisputable rehash of it's predecessors. The prequels have the opposite problem. They have more nuance and are markedly different than anything before it but the presentation is so dull that they're a chore to sit through. All the racist caricatures in TPM make it difficult to watch. At least for me.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Commentary track: Natalie Portman says over Anakin's breakdown that Padme is attracted to Anakin's bad boy side. Bitch he's not a cool pot dealer on a motorcycle. He's screaming about much he hates the people he murdered

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Cnut the Great posted:

This movie was hastily written from basically scratch in a matter of a few months to hit an imposed deadline, and it really, really, really shows.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I personally feel that of the three 'worldbuilding' first episodes (A New Hope, The Phantom Menace, The Force Awakens) TFA is easily the most complete and substantial. Without their followups ANH and TPM are a lot weaker overall than as part of the whole. And if you agree with that then it's not a wild idea to wait for the completion of the NT to decide if TFA is really as vapid as you believe.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Stacks posted:

It's frustrating because TFA has a drat solid presentation. It's a very entertaining and watchable film. Unfortunately it comes at the expense of being an indisputable rehash of it's predecessors. The prequels have the opposite problem. They have more nuance and are markedly different than anything before it but the presentation is so dull that they're a chore to sit through. All the racist caricatures in TPM make it difficult to watch. At least for me.

There's no nuance in the prequels. You've bought into a very great and terrible lie, one decisively debunked by yours truly.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I would have expected a better manifesto after two months' preparation time.

I mean, it's not a bad demonstration that Lucas is some kind of mustache-twirling deceiver.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tezzor posted:

Commentary track: Natalie Portman says over Anakin's breakdown that Padme is attracted to Anakin's bad boy side. Bitch he's not a cool pot dealer on a motorcycle. He's screaming about much he hates the people he murdered

You know who was the baddest boy? Yeah, that's right.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

RBA Starblade posted:

You know who was the baddest boy? Yeah, that's right.

Judas Iscariot. :cool:

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Tezzor posted:

*listens to Anakin describe a mass murder he just committed

"oh he's such a rebel!"

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Ferrinus posted:

I mean, it's not a bad demonstration that Lucas is some kind of mustache-twirling deceiver.

George Lucas did not try to deceive anyone. He and everyone else is absolutely clear that he attempted to make a film with clear and unambiguous moral black and white, one that paid no attention to any of the ethical questions of his dumb PG-friendly ideas of clone soldiers or child Jedi. The only deception is from people telling us that all these moral greys, dickhead idiot characters and grim undertones were a part of his plan at all and evidence of his genius instead of another of his failings.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Speaking of commentary tracks, I cant believe they had the balls to give the film a home release without -any- commentary tracks. Is that a new thing for Blu-rays? I admittedly dont own many standard edition Blu-Rays so I wouldn't know.

I understand that its common practice to withhold features for the Super Special Complete Edition, but that's just ridiculous.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I think they (correctly) assume nobody gives a poo poo anymore about stuff like that, but it should be a crime not to have a DVD commentary on a big release, in my opinion.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

The problem is, like I said previously, that this is all really dull. A lot of it's ancillary in the movie, like the droid slavery. The movie is primarily about three people (Finn, Rey, and Ren) stumbling their way into traditional archetypes. It's about complexities being eliminated.

The viillains are more powerful than the heroes? That's not exactly a thrilling ideological statement. Jakku is socially barren? It actually isn't, the characters interact a lot, they just don't do anything interesting there.

The movie is "about Star Wars"? That's just cultural navel-gazing.

This isn't any fault of yours. The movie is just kind of boring despite being competently made. It softens anything controversial, like the idea of a heroic stormtrooper or a bratty young Darth Vader.

ANH, in comparison, is a movie that's just exciting. It crackles with tension. The rebel ship being overtaken by the Star Destroyer, the last stand against the stormtrooper, the creepy inhabitants of Tatooine, teenage frustrations, being stopped by the police, Satan leering on the screen, Leia chewing out her rescuers, the trash compactor scene. It's fun as hell.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 22, 2016

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Tezzor posted:

George Lucas did not try to deceive anyone. He and everyone else is absolutely clear that he attempted to make a film with clear and unambiguous moral black and white, one that paid no attention to any of the ethical questions of his dumb PG-friendly ideas of clone soldiers or child Jedi. The only deception is from people telling us that all these moral greys, dickhead idiot characters and grim undertones were a part of his plan at all and evidence of his genius instead of another of his failings.

You clearly believe him to have tricked you or attempted to trick you, since according to you he has repeatedly disavowed the secret meanings present in his films.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Ferrinus posted:

You clearly believe him to have tricked you or attempted to trick you, since you wrote a two page rant about his words supposedly conflicting with his movie.

His words do not conflict with his movie. His words conflict with the interpretation of his movie by a handful of pretentious cretins

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Neurolimal posted:

Speaking of commentary tracks, I cant believe they had the balls to give the film a home release without -any- commentary tracks. Is that a new thing for Blu-rays? I admittedly dont own many standard edition Blu-Rays so I wouldn't know.

I understand that its common practice to withhold features for the Super Special Complete Edition, but that's just ridiculous.

Yep, wait for the full trilogy pack.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Jake Lloyd: Why are the engines in the front of the pod. You'll get a lot of sand and heat in your face from them. Why not put them in the back like Luke's ship.
Me: You raise a good point the author did not consider, 9 year old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Tezzor posted:

His words do not conflict with his movie. His words conflict with the interpretation of his movie by a handful of pretentious cretins

You haven't made the slightest attempt to engage with or disprove anything prequel fans have said about the movie. We can only conclude that Lucas himself is lying to us. Also, you forgot the last period again.

• Locked thread