Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Its that one Salvador Dali wanted to make for the ill-fated Jodorwosky Dune movie where he shits on a crystal throne and two dolphins sculpted into the back of toilet spit the waste into each others mouths.
http://www.duneinfo.com/unseen/jodorowsky/

Oh, duh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

air- posted:

Unless proven otherwise, I usually stay wary of recruiters/HR. Few good people, but not the norm...

The gently caress is that?

It's that stupid question that HR aficionados love to trot out as innovative. The gist of it is, "How would you design the perfect toilet? What would you focus on and why?"

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

It's that stupid question that HR aficionados love to trot out as innovative. The gist of it is, "How would you design the perfect toilet? What would you focus on and why?"

If someone threw that question at me, I'd excuse myself and end the interview. Good lord.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Project is out of scope, reassigned to R&D :smug:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

air- posted:

The gently caress is that?
This guy doesn't know how to use the three shells.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I've got a phone interview for tomorrow that I'm trying to figure out how to make. I cant/wont call in sick since I was legitimately sick a few days ago and missed some time. It's at 9AM and I start at 8. I'm thinking my best move is a fake car trouble lie or something I dont know.

"I have some errands to run, I'll be in at 10am"

If you work somewhere that you can't do that, :toot: faster.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The perfect toilet tracks how much you are making while using it at work

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

I had the "perfect toilet" question when I applied to be a Mac Genius years ago, but I'm sure everyone knows about that.

Christ... Apple's panel interviews, I got to the last leg of one and was up against a panel of four people but also with two candidates as well. I honestly got so bored with the other two waffling on and on about their life experience bullshit that I kept my answers pretty short, which pretty much blew away my chances.

It's also amazing how incredibly cult-y they are from the get-go.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Project is out of scope, reassigned to R&D :smug:

"The design's for the design team and the analysis, engineering decisions and construction (and ignoring the designers so the bloody thing will function) is development. I'd just get handed a warehouse of perfect toilets with no documentation and no idea of how they work or what their interfaces are and get told "Fit these in every room of Cantor's hotel by tomorrow, and if any of them break it's up to you to fix them.""

Designers and developers make the perfect toilet, sysadmins end up elbow-deep in other people's poo poo.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
"Hello, I am calling from some place to sell you something, do you have a moment to speak?"

"Look, man, Prince died today at 57. That's pretty young. I'm pretty young. I'm dealing with an existential crisis, facing my own mortality, okay? I could die any minute. Do I want that minute to be while I'm on the phone with you? Or would I rather it be doing something I love, like rebooting a desktop? I just don't have time to talk to you now."

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

"The disk is full and the webserver won't start." ... a thing which requires you to use `lsof`

The old "some process didn't close its file handles properly and is holding open a 'deleted' 100GB log file" game?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Colonial Air Force posted:

"Hello, I am calling from some place to sell you something, do you have a moment to speak?"

"Look, man, Prince died today at 57. That's pretty young. I'm pretty young. I'm dealing with an existential crisis, facing my own mortality, okay? I could die any minute. Do I want that minute to be while I'm on the phone with you? Or would I rather it be doing something I love, like rebooting a desktop? I just don't have time to talk to you now."

I'd rather get those than the "hello sir am I speaking with John Doe okay sir thank you my name is Alex Jones and I would like to send you a free whitepaper" calls I get from India like every day.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
I went to download the factory Windows 7E image for one of our HP mobile thin clients, and found this:

Guess which one of these is the English image!

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

The international one at the bottom of course!

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
I can only assume it is. The rest aren't English, and that international one won't launch. The image file inside the exe seems to be in some proprietary format so I can't even manually write it to USB.

The upside is HP seems to have finally stopped using that terrible ftp server for downloads. So at least the downloads were reasonably fast and didn't fail multiple times!

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Hungry Computer posted:

I can only assume it is. The rest aren't English, and that international one won't launch. The image file inside the exe seems to be in some proprietary format so I can't even manually write it to USB.

The upside is HP seems to have finally stopped using that terrible ftp server for downloads. So at least the downloads were reasonably fast and didn't fail multiple times!

Ftp.usa.hp.com was not bad as long as you used an ftp client to connect to it instead of the website.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Docjowles posted:

The old "some process didn't close its file handles properly and is holding open a 'deleted' 100GB log file" game?

You just might have what it takes to work here!

Dennis Kucinich
Apr 28, 2013
I've had a lot of fun lurking this thread and reading about others' experiences in different parts of the industry.

Currently I'm working the graveyard shift in a datacenter doing "Tier II" technical support for a hosting provider. Tier II is in quotes because, interestingly, there is no Tier I (I did not know this when I accepted the job; lesson learned). As a result of my company being sort of schizophrenic, I find myself doing anything from answering support chats and phone calls (think "HALP, HOW DO I DNS?!?") to performing some relatively interesting server deployments and maintenance windows. Occasionally, I even have the lovely opportunity to wake up one of our Tier III (i.e., Tier II) engineers in the middle of the night for an escalation or to respond to an alarm.

Long story short, I'm halfway to my CCNA (taking ICND2 in July), and I'm trying to plan my next step. I've only been in this position for 6-months, with a couple of other Tier I/II support positions before this, but I feel like I've already reached the point where I need to move on. I think I would grow more quickly in a role that is more project or escalation-oriented and didn't involve being on the front lines of fielding phone calls and chats.

So the question, which I realize is a common and difficult one, is how do I bridge the gap between where I am and an engineering/administration job? I'm really enjoying the CCNA material and the networking I do at work, so I'm relatively sure that's the path I want to go down, but searches similar to "Junior Network Engineer" turn up close to nothing on the job boards. I think I have the skill set and experience to be a decent Jr. Linux Admin too, but I'm even less optimistic about my job prospects there. I live in a city that has a metro area population of a couple million, so maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places.

Basically, sorry for this post. I'm just confused.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Is it legal to throw a useless junior sysadmin off a cliff

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

junior sysadmins are just larva, so yes. Once they pupate and hatch into Real People, you can't touch them.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Dennis Kucinich posted:

Currently I'm working the graveyard shift in a datacenter doing "Tier II" technical support for a hosting provider. Tier II is in quotes because, interestingly, there is no Tier I (I did not know this when I accepted the job; lesson learned). As a result of my company being sort of schizophrenic, I find myself doing anything from answering support chats and phone calls (think "HALP, HOW DO I DNS?!?") to performing some relatively interesting server deployments and maintenance windows. Occasionally, I even have the lovely opportunity to wake up one of our Tier III (i.e., Tier II) engineers in the middle of the night for an escalation or to respond to an alarm.

So the question, which I realize is a common and difficult one, is how do I bridge the gap between where I am and an engineering/administration job?

Been in your shoes, got my CCNA in 2001 if I recall correctly. It expired 5? 6? years later. You answered your own question. Figure out what the T3 people know that you don't. Figure out the why of things. Everything. Networking, server hardware, server software, and the OS (kernel) layer. Tell your boss you want to be T3, and if they won't make you one today you want to work with them on career development.

Truth is you're already doing it just ticket based. Look at bigger picture stuff, grab the hardest tickets, work through them with T3s.

Job hunt. Don't pidgeon hole yourself until you are ultra specialized. Figure out what is interesting and keep pounding down doors.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
The best way to advance is to show you can solve problems. And to remember, not every problem is a technical one.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

adorai posted:

And to remember, not every problem is a technical one.

This is true. Also keep in the back of your mind that what someone is asking you and their actual goal are not necessarily the same thing. Read a little about the XY problem.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

CLAM DOWN posted:

They aren't people, they are resources and there is nothing illegal about throwing a resource off a cliff.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

go3 posted:

They aren't people, they are resources and there is nothing illegal about throwing a resource off a cliff.

Tie them to the video conference system and off they go!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CLAM DOWN posted:

Dont let that five years of experience and advanced skill level in six unrelated programming languages go to waste! :ohdear:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

H110Hawk posted:

Tie them to the video conference system and off they go!
Staple them to a printer and an enterprise storage array and let them sink to the bottom of the sea.

I've had way worse luck with incumbent "senior" admins over my career than junior ones :shrug:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Vulture Culture posted:

I've had way worse luck with incumbent "senior" admins over my career than junior ones :shrug:

Ditto. Folks that think they know everything and haven't cracked a book in ten years to try and keep up with the times are by far my worst experiences.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

NippleFloss posted:

Ditto. Folks that think they know everything and haven't cracked a book in ten years to try and keep up with the times are by far my worst experiences.
I credit this forum for my ability to keep up with the times.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

adorai posted:

I credit this forum for my ability to keep up with the times.

Hangops.slack.com

Channels for all your devops needs. There's even a Vancouver channel for the Canuck that posts in this thread.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

jaegerx posted:

Hangops.slack.com

Channels for all your devops needs. There's even a Vancouver channel for the Canuck that posts in this thread.
Confirming that there are some cool people here

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Sheep posted:

I have a laptop with serious issues that cannot be resolved without replacing internal equipment. I made it part of the interview process for entry level helpdesk hires just to see what steps people take and in what order since there's literally no way for them to fix it. Has been really useful to help me figure out how people approach problems, and even better, what they wind up doing when they can't fix something.

It's also running 10 just to see how many people rage about that or make snide remarks so I can go on and ask them to leave :smug:

I had an interviewer recently do that. I had to go through the steps to fix something weird with a program, even though most people including me need to feel around for it. The answer is really obvious if you could look at it and not be bindfolded.

I actually knew the answer already, because a previous interviewer gave me the exact same question. What's more important is that I knew what they were looking for by asking that question and could focus in on that.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Today the mobile dev team was talking about designing for accessibility, which segued into how annoying it would be to program as a blind person.

So I showed them Whitespace and the mix of impressed and repulsed was hilarious.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
When we were interviewing recently we went through a fake support call, whereby the end user initially reported they could not get on the internet. The root cause was that the PC was off, and the PC was behind the monitor, and the end user didn't know the difference between the monitor and the PC. It was interesting to see the variety of first thoughts on the trouble report.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

H110Hawk posted:

We have a practical part of our SRE interview process. What are your thoughts on it?

It is during the face to face interview and is designed to be completed within 30 minutes. If you're "Junior" or "Regular" (SRE 1, 2) we expect you to get half of it, senior (SRE3, 4) you should get everything, and at 4 you are likely going to bang it out in 10 minutes flat. If you worked in an environment where this was the norm you might bang it out quickly regardless of level.

The test is a VM running on a laptop from a snapshot to ensure it is always identical. It has 4 things wrong with it and a problem statement of: "The disk is full and the webserver won't start." There is a syntax error in the configuration file which you should be able to intuit, a thing which requires you to use `lsof`, and a couple other basic things. Basically the webserver won't start unless you solve the first 3 issues and the disk remains full until you solve the last one. You are not supposed to reboot to solve the issues, I forget if it boots to the broken state.

We have had people insisting they are senior level who cannot get the webserver started.

While this is something that many people at your company are able to do a test like this will rule out a lot of people who are not familiar with the same specific problems. Maybe they have more experience with running webservers in a cluster and just kill puma/unicorn that is stuck, or just spin up a new machine. It could also be the recruiters you are working with are not providing suitable candidates. We worked with a new company recently and over a 3 month period they didn't find anyone who could pass the phone screen. Now we have a different set of recruiting companies.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

adorai posted:

The root cause was that the PC was off, and the PC was behind the monitor, and the end user didn't know the difference between the monitor and the PC.

This was a bit of fun, I've since changed our standard desktop machine to HP 260 G1's because they're so tiny and screw onto the the backs of monitors. We had some newbies try to turn their computers on in the morning and a few of the regulars try to help them searching all under the desk for where the computers usually are.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

lampey posted:

While this is something that many people at your company are able to do a test like this will rule out a lot of people who are not familiar with the same specific problems. Maybe they have more experience with running webservers in a cluster and just kill puma/unicorn that is stuck, or just spin up a new machine. It could also be the recruiters you are working with are not providing suitable candidates. We worked with a new company recently and over a 3 month period they didn't find anyone who could pass the phone screen. Now we have a different set of recruiting companies.

This is where communication skills are also being tested. I initially "failed" the scenario I was presented with which was a suspected compromised server with the "correct" answer being a kernel level rootkit. The first thing I would do? Pull the network cord out/admin shut the switchport, redeploy the server and work from there. Talking through it though we got around to the deeper technical answer for which the interviewer was looking.

In the "large cluster" scenario answering "shoot it" is always valid and would frankly gain you points. The next steps would be "I spun up a new one and the webserver still won't start" or "This is a development environment you are building" for the syntax error. A part of the job is updating the configuration on 1,000 servers from a single point, so they should be talking about reverting to last known working in source control and troubleshooting on a standalone machine/canary. From there we can get to the disk full issue by saying "Your solution solved the problem, but a week later we've hit the same issue. How do you find the true root cause to solve it in the general case?"

Basically, nothing is ultra cut and dry. Honestly if you talked through all of this with me you would be in higher standing than "simply" banging out the problem, though banging it out wouldn't count against you in any way. In the end we need to know you can do both, so it will be covered in other sections of the interview if you don't happen upon it in the practical.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 22, 2016

Foe Hammer
Feb 6, 2016

Strategy is for people that don't have Swords! Play devil’s advocate even when you know you’re wrong because a blog where everyone agrees is boring!
for all those who remember I had an issue with setting up a wifi at a 10k sq ft house, I came across this tool as it maps out the strength of the wifi. if anyone wants it here is the direct link so you don't have to register and do the bs.

http://sw.ekahau.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=143&Itemid=91

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Foe Hammer posted:

for all those who remember I had an issue with setting up a wifi at a 10k sq ft house, I came across this tool as it maps out the strength of the wifi. if anyone wants it here is the direct link so you don't have to register and do the bs.

http://sw.ekahau.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=143&Itemid=91

That's awesome!

Unifi manager also has this on their app as well. It works really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Getting 16 new hard drives for 4 servers on Monday!

The servers are all new but have 7 year old hard drives in them from the previous servers. What is the best way of migrating Raid 10 to new drives? I would like to just mirror the drives somehow and be up and running within a few hours. Anything better than dd?

Old drives are SATA 500 gigs, new drives are SAS 1TB.

These are dell poweredge servers.