Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

Those are actually pickled, which takes a lot of the edge off.

Funny, the ones I usually buy seem raw. A couple places (Olive stands/counters/shops) I've seen have roasted garlic as an option. Definitely a good all rounder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

the yeti posted:

Operation Dineburg:

I didn't take in process photos because my kitchen's a mess but here's my completely off the cuff recipe:

1 can riga sprats, about half drained
huge pinch of freezedried parsley
lots of cracked pepper
splash of lemon juice
1 egg
breadcrumbs or dry stuffing mix (I used pepperidge farm) crushed to smallish pieces

Mix up everything but the breadcrumbs until it's well combined, add a palmful of breadcrumbs, mix it all up and let it stand a few minutes and check the consistency. You want it just dry enough to hold together when you make it into a patty, i think i ended up using about 1/2 cup total.

Cook about 6 minutes a side, and if you're me you let it go another another 3 minutes with the lid on the skillet to set the inside because goddamn I really should have made 2 more manageable burgs. Harissa and mayo did pretty well for a condiment but I could see something like dill and mustard being a hit as well.

:burger::yarg:

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

AEMINAL posted:

Sounds like you need a new wife

On the contrary, a wife who won't eat up your supply of deens is a keeper

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
my eyes ahev been opened :stonk:

wisdom

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Tochiazuma posted:

On the contrary, a wife who won't eat up your supply of deens is a keeper

Also I don't need my wife to be dadly.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Tochiazuma posted:

On the contrary, a wife who won't eat up your supply of deens is a kipper

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Tochiazuma posted:

On the contrary, a wife who won't eat up your supply of deens is a keeperkipper

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
For UK dads, Waitrose own brand flavoured dines are really very good, and not ridiculously priced at a quid a can.

Used a tin to convert some 'dine virgins last night.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ReelBigLizard posted:

For UK dads, Waitrose own brand flavoured dines are really very good, and not ridiculously priced at a quid a can.

Used a tin to convert some 'dine virgins last night.

More deets please, talk about why you like this fish, so maybe I can suggest about it in op

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012
They're good, but no bones though :( It's a shame The Pilchard Works only sell filleted ones.

Nice can design though. Chilli one is tasty too.

The M&S Portuguese ones are great at 90p. Even the dirt cheap (40p) Moroccan ones in olive oil from M&S/Waitrose are perfectly decent, if on the larger side. Steer clear of water or tomato, though.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

I never had sardines before and thanks to this thread, this was my first foray into dine-dom.

I made it kinda like the Sandwish recipe in the OP and it was fuggin tasty. I'm not a dad yet but I can appreciate a good Dad Joke so looks like I'm better prepared for when that day comes. Thanks thread! :tipshat:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Sheep-Goats posted:

More deets please, talk about why you like this fish, so maybe I can suggest about it in op

Nice fresh taste, the fillets are lightly coloured and they still have a nice flaky body to them, no mush. The lemon flavour is subtle and comes from being canned with a real lemon slice underneath the dines. The chilli version "Sardines Picante" has an equally good texture / taste / quaint can design. The lemon flavour goes really well with mayo and makes a nice upgrade over tuna mayo for salads or sandwiches.

No bones, but I don't care about boneless / boned either way. Got a can of the Picante ones, I might try them with avocado.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

My first foray into sardines (I'd done smoked herring before) was this weekend and so I ate a tin of Clover Leaf Brislings in olive oil.

Lacking the ingredients to make any of the OP recipes, I went with some crackers and three different toppings: sriracha (yummy, even though normally I don't like hot sauce that much), sweet mustard (nah, not great) and dijon mustard (very nice)

None of my children wanted to share them, perhaps because I was bouncing them up and down on the cracker so that the tails would move while asking "Whoooo wants to be like a seal and slurp these down with Daddy? Anybody?" That's fine, I didn't really want to share them anyways.

Overall: enjoyed, would eat again, will eat again, will try some different dishes next time

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Tochiazuma posted:

My first foray into sardines (I'd done smoked herring before) was this weekend and so I ate a tin of Clover Leaf Brislings in olive oil.

Lacking the ingredients to make any of the OP recipes, I went with some crackers and three different toppings: sriracha (yummy, even though normally I don't like hot sauce that much), sweet mustard (nah, not great) and dijon mustard (very nice)

None of my children wanted to share them, perhaps because I was bouncing them up and down on the cracker so that the tails would move while asking "Whoooo wants to be like a seal and slurp these down with Daddy? Anybody?" That's fine, I didn't really want to share them anyways.

Overall: enjoyed, would eat again, will eat again, will try some different dishes next time

You should get your hands on the Clover Leaf Mediterranean flavoured brislings, I'd highly recommend them!

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I'm not a fussy dine eater; I hail the King but also got a soft spot for Chicken of the Sea.
That said, I just had my first complete BLECH dine moment. Picked up a Crown Prince while I was in a supermarket I usually don't go to. First off, I open it and the can is 3 huge rear end fish. Ok, fine, I'm cool with fish of all sizes. They smell nice, and look pretty. I pull a hunk out with my fingers, and my mouth just said "NO". Tasteless mush that makes canned tuna seem zesty. Like, you shouldn't eat a dine and think "hmm, this could use more salt"

the sadliest catch

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The hippie market near me has pretty much just crown prince kipper and dines at like 3 bux a can. I've only ever had the kipper but they're dramatically worse than the MW Polar kipper I usually get and even worse than my workaday Beach Cliff mustard dines

Needless to say, I don't go there for my little fishy fix

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Tochiazuma posted:

Great job. Keep the belt on your robe a little lose next time so there's just the faintest threat it'll come open while you shake a fish at them, keep following them around doing that, just keep doing it until they flee the house.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

What about tinned Mackerel though?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
These prices aren't very dad.

(Yes, that's twelve US dollars for a can of "vintage" sardines from 5 months ago.)

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

What's in the big yellow tin next to those French dines?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Look Sir Droids posted:

Almost looks like an oil filter.

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.

Phanatic posted:

These prices aren't very dad.

(Yes, that's twelve US dollars for a can of "vintage" sardines from 5 months ago.)

In Germany they're a still pricey but much more dadly €4 a can.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Look Sir Droids posted:

I think it was some euro mackerel.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Look Sir Droids posted:

Looks like the KO cod liver tins.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
The restaurant down the road from my house is Portuguese. They know how to grill a 'dine.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Sheep-Goats posted:

Great job. Keep the belt on your robe a little lose next time so there's just the faintest threat it'll come open while you shake a fish at them, keep following them around doing that, just keep doing it until they flee the house.

Sheep-Goats, every time I think your avatar has tricked me for the last time... it tricks me again.

I must need more omega-3s for my brain. Having sardines for dinner.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Fintilgin posted:

Sheep-Goats, every time I think your avatar has tricked me for the last time... it tricks me again.

Whenever I use the SA mobile app and view this thread, I always swat away bug.gif.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

i went to an international foodstore, where the hell are the whole dines

are the frozen or fresh, where should i be looking

they werent in the fresh section, they only had anchovies and smelts as the smallest fish (which are not sardines)

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Ask the fishman that give you the fish if you ask

If they don't have deeners get the smelts and one of those wire fish grippers from Asia

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Ah soooo

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Sheep-Goats posted:

Ask the fishman that give you the fish if you ask

If they don't have deeners get the smelts and one of those wire fish grippers from Asia

listen bud, im white as frick and i dont think these mongers comprende my v thick chicago accent

ill have to go to wegmans, ugh

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
ShiCAWGoh

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

I made the eggs. Then I ate the eggs. The eggs were good.

Not with the $12 dines, though. Just some Matiz ones, like from the OP except these had piquillo peppers in the can.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Good colors IMO

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Just had King Oscar Mustard 'dines for the first time. Not bad. The ratio of mustard to 'dine is kind of off though for eating straight out of the can over the sink. Ended up slapping them on some bread with lettuce, tomato and onion.

A+ would eat again.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

yeah I had that once straight outta the tin and it almost seemed like there was more mustard than dine flavor-wise

There's one in tomato sauce wasn't that great due to the spiceless tomato sauce used in it

pretty much these types of tins are made to mix well into meals without the unneeded olive oil getting in the way, so don't expect them to taste great by themselves

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Just picked up a tin of Mediterranean KOs. What's the best way to eat these without using hot sauce? I want maximum enjoyment. Considering a sandwhich with a light sprinkle of Italian cheese, tapenade hummus, and maybe some lettuce and tomato.

naem
May 29, 2011

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Just picked up a tin of Mediterranean KOs. What's the best way to eat these without using hot sauce? I want maximum enjoyment. Considering a sandwhich with a light sprinkle of Italian cheese, tapenade hummus, and maybe some lettuce and tomato.

A fork and a sink to lean over, fork optional

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I put them on a paper plate and then put dill on top of them and then eat them with a plastic fork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Okay I will do that. I'm not a dad so I think I might be trying too hard