Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Got a crash report from a guy at work who was hospitalized on his "last ride." Background of the dude:
- Nice guy. Ex military. Met him in the elevator at work while I was squeaking around in my ATGATT setup.
- He was also going to his bike, apparently. Standard full face and work clothes. Riding a late model wicked fast monster.

The story: riding down the highway, traffic slows down, car quickly goes into the faster moving lane, doesn't see dude on monster, hits dude on monster, breaks femur, dude goes down and wakes up in the hospital. Also broke his collar bone.

This was his last ride before selling the bike too. Sucks the guy got hurt but I couldn't help but think he rarely rode and didn't respect the machine or how traffic works in a town like Houston.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

nsaP posted:

The part of this story left out is you were running takeoffs

Yeah, there was that, which probably didn't help. I do think it would have happened with normal tyres as well though. Take-offs definitely made it a guaranteed off though. (Don't run take-offs on the road, it's a bad idea and they suck to live with).

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Got a crash report from a guy at work who was hospitalized on his "last ride." Background of the dude:
- Nice guy. Ex military. Met him in the elevator at work while I was squeaking around in my ATGATT setup.
- He was also going to his bike, apparently. Standard full face and work clothes. Riding a late model wicked fast monster.

The story: riding down the highway, traffic slows down, car quickly goes into the faster moving lane, doesn't see dude on monster, hits dude on monster, breaks femur, dude goes down and wakes up in the hospital. Also broke his collar bone.

This was his last ride before selling the bike too. Sucks the guy got hurt but I couldn't help but think he rarely rode and didn't respect the machine or how traffic works in a town like Houston.

Yeah, you always have to watch the on/offramps and everyone near them around here. If you let yourself into someone's blindspot then they'll end up moving into you. Also don't be on the side of a lane right next to a car.

That's literally it around here.

sewersider
Jun 12, 2008

Damned near Freudian slipped on my arse
Had my first car vs motorbike accident today after 8+ years riding.
I ride a Yamaha MT-09, last years model.
Picked it up about two months ago I've been enjoying hell out of it, been having an awesome time with it, even makes commuting in Sydney traffic a joy.

I was heading west from uni on a reasonably sedate street in a 50km/hr zone. There was a pedestrian crossing ahead with a young bloke about to cross, I slowed down, stopped, and waited for him to cross.
Just as he was about to, a shape loomed in my mirrors and i got thrown over the handle bars, somehow I managed to land on my feet.
I turned around to see the bike down on its right and the mirror/lights stuck under a taxi.

I kinda took stock of what happened, patted myself down, and turned off my bike. A bunch of people came out and gave me a hand to get the bike off the road while the cab driver was profusely apologising, apparently a child in the back seat had been playing with his seat belt so he'd turned away from looking at the road, to tell him to stop.

I got off pretty lucky considering he didn't brake, the MT-09 has a rear plate/light portion that really hangs out that I'd considering modding and tidying up into the body. But in this case it took most of the impact, so the hood, fender and front of the taxi took a lot more damage then I did.
For me the rear brake lever snapped off, the tail lights and plate got went well bent and bit of minor scraping to the engine casing and right handle bars, it's all good though, he admitted fault straight away.

Still, damned glad I got insurance sorted out two weeks ago after procrastinating for a month or so.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Jeeeesus, those kind of crashes usually end up a lot worse. Glad you're ok dude! Bummer about the bike though :(

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Shimrod posted:

(Don't run take-offs on the road, it's a bad idea and they suck to live with).

This is why my shop only sold them to local stunt crew guys.
They're still good for some things like burnouts, just not street riding.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

sewersider posted:

MT-09 rear ended.

Glad you're okay. Also, I hadn't seen an MT-09 before, but they look awesome and now I want one.

As a new rider I'm wondering how to try and avoid this type of incident.

Hi-vis gear helps being seen even when you aren't moving, but it isn't going to protect against a driver who has turned around and is looking behind them.

Assuming there is nothing in front of you to block oncoming traffic from seeing you, would you want to move to the outside portion of the lane so you can 'escape' to the side more easily? Anything else you should be doing at this type of stop (crosswalks where there isn't always a stop sign/light)?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Fishvilla posted:

Assuming there is nothing in front of you to block oncoming traffic from seeing you, would you want to move to the outside portion of the lane so you can 'escape' to the side more easily? Anything else you should be doing at this type of stop (crosswalks where there isn't always a stop sign/light)?

I try to stop at the edges of the lane as well, and I also angle the bike so that I have a clear rear-view in one of my mirrors (my EX500 has fairing mounted mirrors). One of the biggest mental hurdles for me riding a bike was not having a continuous unobstructed rear-view on demand. I've since taught myself a few "check-six" tricks, like weaving slightly to get a better mirror angle and the aforementioned angling at a stoplight.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Glad you got off light, sewersider For professional drivers, cabbies really are the least professional drivers you'll ever see, they're terrible.

Fishvilla posted:

Glad you're okay. Also, I hadn't seen an MT-09 before, but they look awesome and now I want one.

Hi-vis gear helps being seen even when you aren't moving, but it isn't going to protect against a driver who has turned around and is looking behind them.

Always check your mirrors as you slow to a stop to ensure the car behind you also appears to be slowing, and come to a stop in first gear with your left foot on the ground and right foot braking. That way you're ready to go if poo poo is about to hit the fan and you happen to notice it.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

In reality, some crashes are just unavoidable. This is why proper gear is super important.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

You prevented the second half of this beautiful story, you monster.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Fishvilla posted:

In addition to what other people said about lane positioning, constantly checking your 6, and being in gear, I always try to keep the bike pointed at an open spot (usually on one side or the other of the car in front of me) big enough to fit my bike without going over a curb. Also I constantly flash my brake light when I'm stopped and there are cars behind.

So far no rearenders.

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost
Just want to mention that if any of you do end up with road rash, 3M Tegaderm is *amazing*. I am not a doctor, make sure everything is clean, etc, etc, etc, but it's like angels come down and flutter their wings over the spot and the pain and itching goes away. It makes gauze and Neosporin feel like sandpaper, and you can move like a normal person again, shower, and leave it on for multiple days if it stays intact. Expensive at the drug store, but much cheaper on Amazon.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Got a bike about two weeks ago, took the MSF basic rider course, been commuting and sometimes doing errands since then. City, suburb, and highway, stop and go traffic and regular riding etc.

Felt like doing some parking lot practice :q:

I do that poo poo the MSF had me do on an eliminator in my Ninja 300. Went pretty well until I hit some mud, dropped bike. Meh.

I then did some emergency stops in a clean part of the parking lot. Went well, once I think I heard or felt the rear come up, or at least the suspension unload.

Then I apparently locked the front wheel up and drop it on the left. I also managed to make a few ribs sore but no visible bruises. Gear works. JoeRocket is good poo poo. ATGATT and such.

So, besides "practice with people" what else can I do? In other news, picking up a bike with a sore rib and the wind half knocked out of you is quite the wake up call.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
PSA: lift with your legs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWrsyP1tJuM

Nearly every crash video I've seen, everybody's first move is to stand by the bottom of the bike, lean forwards over it, grab it, and attempt to just stand up.

Do not do this unless you enjoy loving up your back/ribs even more than you already did in the process of falling off.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Pickup procedure on a 300lb EX250 - That video, backing up using body to lever the bike upwards.

Pickup procedure on a 300lb Supermoto- Bend over, pick up bike like a bicycle.

The difference is a mystery.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Oh I used my legs and deadlifted, but your core stabilizers etc.

So the rubber mounted turn signal was great, but the bulb inside broke. Semi old info says it's rare:

Philips 12093 RY10W NA 12V AMBER
Base Style : BAU15s

Is this going to be a pain to find?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Renaissance Robot posted:

Nearly every crash video I've seen, everybody's first move is to stand by the bottom of the bike, lean forwards over it, grab it, and attempt to just stand up.
Even MotoGP guys do this after they crash. It's amazing.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Coydog posted:

Pickup procedure on a 300lb EX250 - That video, backing up using body to lever the bike upwards.

Pickup procedure on a 300lb Supermoto- Bend over, pick up bike like a bicycle.

The difference is a mystery.

The supermoto's height helps you get better leverage.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Renaissance Robot posted:

PSA: lift with your legs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWrsyP1tJuM

Do not do this unless you enjoy loving up your back/ribs even more than you already did in the process of falling off.

I think this is the video you're looking for when it comes to picking up heavy-as-gently caress bikes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8Er4FFEQ8I

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I just have to grab my hand grip and lean back with my body weight and my yzf600r comes off its side like magic. No lifting or back injuries required.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Not all of us weigh more than our bikes.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I highly recommend off-roading a 550 lb bike that has no business being off tarmac (Triumph Scrambler,) then picking it up repeatedly in sand and gravel. I should really get an actual dual sport some day.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Guess I should post about mine here.

Guy made a U-turn, then cut across 3 lanes in about 150 feet, stopped to turn into a shoppi g center, and cut me off, causing me to run into the back and side of him.

Bumps and bruises mostly, and a bit of a cut on my hand.

Not sure what I could have done differently, but there it is.

I was shocked that he ACTUALLY SAID "dude I didn't even see you" and I am glad the adrenaline fog was thick enough for me to not start a fight.

Dealing with his lying and his insurance is far more painful than the accident. Luckelly the police report backs me up.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Dang, dude, that could've gone worse. Glad you're mostly OK!

This wasn't my crash, but last night on the way home from work I came upon a nasty t-bone crash at a 4-way stop. The road up there is curvy and hilly and awesome (Germantown Rd. and Skyline Rd. 4-way for those around Portland), so it's how I go home every night.

One guy stopped to call the cops, and I think it must have just happened, but people were just going around this car in the intersection. Nasty t-bone, and no one stopped. I pulled off and parked and helped the lady get her car out of the intersection, while PEOPLE ARE STILL JUST BLITHELY DRIVING PAST. I had to go out and just start yelling and hand-signalling for people to stop.

What the gently caress is wrong with people?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Lynza posted:

"I don't have time for this crap, my commute is already long enough and I need to get home because the wife is making lasagna for dinner and we're going to watch that new show on NBC tonight"

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Lynza posted:

This: \/ \/ \/

HotCanadianChick posted:

"I don't have time for this crap, my commute is already long enough and I need to get home because the wife is making lasagna for dinner and we're going to watch that new show on NBC tonight"

I don't get it either. People are assholes.

Stupid derail story you could probably skip: I was on my way home after a long lovely day at the office, and of course the road crews were already out at 8PM (doing construction on my commute at night right now). I got to a light when I saw a dude on a Goldwing. He was having a hell of a time with the bike, and as he turned left to go in the same direction I was headed, I noticed his rear end was all over the goddamn place. Dude was a friggin' champ keeping that bike upright. Turns out his rear tire had started going flat on the interstate, and he'd gotten off to find an air pump at a gas station. As he was inflating, it blew out on him. He decided to try and get the bike down to a motel a block away, but after I stopped to try and help we determined that was a useless idea. I stuck around for an hour, learned he was from Duluth, MN and had "just stopped by on his way home from the MotoGP race in Austin to see Florida", rode down to the store for a couple water bottles, called a tow truck friend to get his bike moved (holy poo poo Goldwings are big heavy bastards), and hooked him up with the business card for the parts guy of the local Honda dealer so he could get a tire the next day. Maybe it's because random strangers have saved my rear end so many times, or maybe I'm trying to make up for being an rear end in a top hat 99% of the time, but if someone needs a hand and it barely costs me anything, I'm willing to help people out.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 13, 2016

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Beach Bum posted:

Maybe it's because random strangers have saved my rear end so many times, or maybe I'm trying to make up for being an rear end in a top hat 99% of the time, but if someone needs a hand and it barely costs me anything, I'm willing to help people out.

No, it's because you meet the nicest people on a Honda.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Coworker of mine once said that Honda is the Canadian Harley-Davidson.

He was drunk at the time too. It almost makes sense for a moment.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

nitrogen posted:

Coworker of mine once said that Honda is the Canadian Harley-Davidson.

He was drunk at the time too. It almost makes sense for a moment.

More reliable, more efficient, bigger reputation for friendliness and fewer of them (American, not world, perspective) and faster/more efficient. Sorry, how's it not make sense?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lacking in character if you define character as being really loud and obnoxious so yeah checks out.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Lynza posted:

Nothing here! I watched a guy in an electric wheelchair get t-boned by a car once at a 4-way light. So many people got out of their cars to help that the guy in the wheelchair was surrounded by people and clearly didn't need any more help so I was able to talk to the guy who hit him (believe it or not I would argue that it really wasn't the driver's fault) and see if he was ok, which he wasn't, he was like having a panic attack. It backed up traffic quite a bit, during rush hour. But the whole time I was there, only one car rudely drove past (a Mercedes, probably from New York or Mass) or honked horns or anything. This was all in Vermont, a civilized place for decent human beings. Bernie is from Vermont, by the way.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Vermont, that state I always forget that has a smaller population than Baltimore. I would love to live there if it wasn't so cold.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
It's nice up there but there is always the chance that you run into a Nazi sympathizer

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
There's something about the French that drives their neighbors mad

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

nsaP posted:

It's nice up there but there is always the chance that you run into a Nazi sympathizer

Every state of the union :shepicide:

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
6 months ago a guy in a white van t-boned me and my girlfriend on my just acquired gsx750f. We were doing 60 on an open road on a clear Friday afternoon. I had my lights on and the junction Stevie (wonder) was waiting at was completely free from any visual obstruction.

About 5 seconds before we pass the turning, van driver pulled across the lane and we nailed the sucker right between the axles. We woke up lying in the road staring at blue skies with a policeman politely asking if we were dead or not.

She got a concussion, her knee was a little sore and a bit bruised but otherwise sound. Aparrently she collided with me, not the van, which is why she was relatively unscathed. I was concussed, too, but with a broken shoulder, hip and hand.

Most profound thing I remember was the guy explaining that he never saw us to the cop, but also that it was his fault compleyely?. Which was nice of him.

Think we only got off so lightly because of the full armoured suits we were wearing. Every one of the medics that treated us told us we were lucky to be alive.

On the plus side, his insurance company is buying me a house!

ATGATT

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Well, that would have sucked.

Glad you're ok. Woo on the house!

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Shelvocke posted:

6 months ago a guy in a white van t-boned me and my girlfriend on my just acquired gsx750f. We were doing 60 on an open road on a clear Friday afternoon. I had my lights on and the junction Stevie (wonder) was waiting at was completely free from any visual obstruction.

About 5 seconds before we pass the turning, van driver pulled across the lane and we nailed the sucker right between the axles. We woke up lying in the road staring at blue skies with a policeman politely asking if we were dead or not.

She got a concussion, her knee was a little sore and a bit bruised but otherwise sound. Aparrently she collided with me, not the van, which is why she was relatively unscathed. I was concussed, too, but with a broken shoulder, hip and hand.

Most profound thing I remember was the guy explaining that he never saw us to the cop, but also that it was his fault compleyely?. Which was nice of him.

Think we only got off so lightly because of the full armoured suits we were wearing. Every one of the medics that treated us told us we were lucky to be alive.

On the plus side, his insurance company is buying me a house!

ATGATT

Have you recovered okay from your injuries? Have you been able to get back on a bike yet? Glad to hear that you came out so well from what sounds like a very major crash!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Thanks, we're actually okay. Girlfriend can't jog on her knee yet, and I can't raise my right arm above my head, but overall we were really lucky. Armour in our clothes was cracked and the leather was pretty caked, but I cannot stress how much it saved us. My spine protector was basically in two.

Picked up a dirtbike last week, feels good to get back on, albeit much more slowly. Wear a beefier armour now, too.

• Locked thread