Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

HaB posted:

This is an odd complaint to me. It feels almost exactly like DS1 to me with the exception of parry timing, which I still haven't figured out. For DS1 I was parry all day errryday, but I can't quite seem to get the timing in this one. It feels NOTHING like BB to me - as evidenced by the fact I fired up BB last night for the first time since DS3 came out and everything felt all weird, timing-wise.

Enemies are excessively fast, even the ones that look, act, and feel ponderous. Slow rear end dodongos can outswing even an estoc, 100% of the time. A number of late game bosses are so coked out fast that the only valid strategy seemed to be rolling in between seven hit combos to get a single poke, maybe two pokes. Enemies are wildly, wildly inconsistent about when they recover from stunlock. Lack of variety of builds is another big "this feels like Bloodborne" point.

For me, Dark Souls 1 and 2 I remember as being more methodical games, not twitch action. And I just replayed them before DS3 released so the differences are fairly stark to me.

The linearity/lack of exploration element I've already covered at length and how that affects build variety.

Edit: Some of the loot placement in the game is truly bizarre, like the Braille Tome of Lothric. Given the contents of the tome, it feels like it was placed there during an earlier draft of the game where you visited Lothric Castle much earlier. End game spells they loving are not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

So is armor/damage resist still flat, or is it now percentage based? I ask because without armor enhancement it seems like flat damage reduction would have really lovely returns and status resist/fashion souls is the way to go.

There is a flat damage reduction based on your stats, and then your armor provides the "absorption" amount. So, first the raw damage is reduced based on your flat reduction, and then absorption, which is based on equipment, reduces the net. Absorption is a percentage amount.

So, if an attack is 500 flat damage, you have 150 defense based on stats, and a 25% absorption based on the totality of your equipment, a normal, non-critical hit to you should deal 262.5 damage [(500-150)*(1-.25) = 262.5].

edit=beaten

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

I'm disappointed but for rather different reasons. The lore in DS3 is fine, I just object to the fact that I bought a Dark Souls game and feel like I got Bloodborne 1.5 instead. I didn't want a Bloodborne game, I wanted a Dark Souls game, and DS3 doesn't really build on the appeal of DS1/2 at all for me.

Which is to say, exploration and diverse character builds.

yes I agree. I guess english not being my first language makes it a bit harder for me to articulate my complaints. I tried to explain what I felt by the game being to linear. But you say it better.
Again, I still think it's a great game, it just doesn't peak my interest the same way DS I and II did.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I'm disappointed but for rather different reasons. The lore in DS3 is fine, I just object to the fact that I bought a Dark Souls game and feel like I got Bloodborne 1.5 instead. I didn't want a Bloodborne game, I wanted a Dark Souls game, and DS3 doesn't really build on the appeal of DS1/2 at all for me.

Which is to say, exploration and diverse character builds.

The levels feel kinda like BB levels at times, but I dunno how you can say this. There's easily infinitely more diversity in character builds than in BB, just as much as DS1/2. Actually, there's now 13 infusions, so there's more character build variety, more like DeS.

Exploration is also top notch in DS3 with levels that wind back on themselves, and some of the biggest single-levels FROM has ever designed. There's lots of paths that even wind back on themselves or other zones, there's zones that have you using early bonfires as later bonfires once you open shortcuts, etc.

The only thing it doesn't do is have the dark souls 1 level of shortcuts because there was no teleportation. But DS2 had teleportation and no shortcuts between zones, and DS3 has teleportation so its not designed to work like that, but even still it has way more inter-connectedness than DS2 ever did.

If you hated DS2 and loved DS1 I could see you saying this was kinda disappointing, but I'm not sure how you can say DS2 was great but DS3 feels too much like BB. :shrug:

Enemies are excessively fast, even the ones that look, act, and feel ponderous. Slow rear end dodongos can outswing even an estoc, 100% of the time. A number of late game bosses are so coked out fast that the only valid strategy seemed to be rolling in between seven hit combos to get a single poke, maybe two pokes. Enemies are wildly, wildly inconsistent about when they recover from stunlock. Lack of variety of builds is another big "this feels like Bloodborne" point.

For me, Dark Souls 1 and 2 I remember as being more methodical games, not twitch action. And I just replayed them before DS3 released so the differences are fairly stark to me.

Uh okay but this has nothing to do with your earlier complaints about the levels and build diversity :v:

And sorry but DS1/2 are pretty twitchy. You can play them more deliberately... but you can go through DS3 with a bow if you want to also.

The actual boss fights were always twitchy.

The linearity/lack of exploration element I've already covered at length and how that affects build variety.

Uh okay. Still not sure what crack you're smoking saying DS3 has less exploration than DS2.... that makes literally no sense.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Giant Isopod posted:

You can still go back and fight him after ringing the bell fyi, you just have to kill the 2nd area boss first to make the storm go away.

i have no idea how anyone would know this since the second area boss is actually unbeatable, but i'll take your word for it.

Enemies are excessively fast, even the ones that look, act, and feel ponderous.

that's definitely something that bugs me. there's almost no slow enemies. everything is at least as fast as you, and probably a good deal faster, even if the enemy model looks like it should be this large, lumbering thing that takes time moving around.

i guess that's one way to fix the "circle strafe w/ shield up > backstab > win game" problem from ds1 & 2. if every monster moves at turbo speed, you don't really ever have the chance to try and circle behind them.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I guess at this point I have a different definition of slow, because once you see some moves a few times guys like Black Knights and even (several moves of) Pontiff Sulyvan seem like they're moving through molasses.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

I'm loving the game, but I can't help but wonder who I need to bribe to get something with the Loyce Greatsword two-handed posture and moveset from DS2 included in the inevitable DLC.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Giant Isopod posted:

Unpopular opinion for the day:
I don't like the estoc. I didn't like it in 1, 2 or 3. There, I said it. :colbert:

estoc in ds1 and 3 is boring as poo poo but it owns bones in ds2 specifically because of how dual wielding/offhand weapons work in that game

since pvp netcode/hitboxes actually like vaguely function in it vs not at all in ds1/3 you get to do some cool tricks w your range coverage due to it's offhand strong attack being a wide sweep covering your left side rather than the right

straight sword/estoc was a really fun and potent combination for a whole lot of reasons

seriously i don't understand why the hit detection/netcode is so much worse than ds2 when it's on the same engine. it's super weird!

also i really miss the offhand weapon system in ds2/weapon combo system in ds2 still. the smooth flow of natural combo stuff in ds2 vs. the weird stilt from ds1/3 style attacks still bugs me, haha

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 22, 2016

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

I had this reaction at first, but the more I am getting into things, the more if feels like 'Dark Souls'. Yeah, a lot of NPCs have really 'poppy' animations that are just downright bizzarre, but aside from these few annoyances it isn't too bad and the whole point of these things to to avoid a situation like DS2 where you basically have forty some odd NPCs that have roughly an identical moveset. I think they may have taken it too far, but I'm a big baby.

I definitely would agree they could stand to rebalance some of the NPC animations to get back to that methodical/deliberate playstyle a little closer, but it's still there, it's just faster and generally more punishing until you "get" a particular enemy's animation sets - which can be pretty tough since they often have a lot of mix ups.

PvP could use a little work, but build variety is still there, and in someways better than ever. For the first time I actually feel like a 'tank' actually works, and somehow still works in the context of a dodge heavy series.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

The levels feel kinda like BB levels at times, but I dunno how you can say this. There's easily infinitely more diversity in character builds than in BB, just as much as DS1/2. Actually, there's now 13 infusions, so there's more character build variety, more like DeS.

Exploration is also top notch in DS3 with levels that wind back on themselves, and some of the biggest single-levels FROM has ever designed. There's lots of paths that even wind back on themselves or other zones, there's zones that have you using early bonfires as later bonfires once you open shortcuts, etc.

The only thing it doesn't do is have the dark souls 1 level of shortcuts because there was no teleportation. But DS2 had teleportation and no shortcuts between zones, and DS3 has teleportation so its not designed to work like that, but even still it has way more inter-connectedness than DS2 ever did.

If you hated DS2 and loved DS1 I could see you saying this was kinda disappointing, but I'm not sure how you can say DS2 was great but DS3 feels too much like BB. :shrug:

Uh okay but this has nothing to do with your earlier complaints about the levels and build diversity :v:

And sorry but DS1/2 are pretty twitchy. You can play them more deliberately... but you can go through DS3 with a bow if you want to also.

The actual boss fights were always twitchy.

Uh okay. Still not sure what crack you're smoking saying DS3 has less exploration than DS2.... that makes literally no sense.

It's fairly simple. The overall progression path of DS3 is a straight line, with a couple dead ends off it here and there. You can't expedite much of anything. In DS2, and in DS1, you can go off the beaten path to obtain loot prematurely in order to facilitate actually playing the majority of the game as a diverse array of builds quite early. In DS3, the sheer linearity prevents this and most builds do not come into their own until about 60-70% of the way through. It makes replays feel very, very samey in a way that they never did in either 1 or 2.

The levels themselves are dense, but still quite self contained and their connections are linear. It's not really exploration in the sense of DS1 or 2.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Whoever said that this doesn't share similarities to BB is a loving moron. Come on, guy.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Blacktoll posted:

Whoever said that this doesn't share similarities to BB is a loving moron. Come on, guy.

Who said that? Clearly their eyes are on the inside and not watching the game.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I feel like the game does a pre good job of giving you a bunch of stuff to play around with in the early game as long as your build isn't just "I want to use this one endgame weapon"

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Edit: Some of the loot placement in the game is truly bizarre, like the Braille Tome of Lothric. Given the contents of the tome, it feels like it was placed there during an earlier draft of the game where you visited Lothric Castle much earlier. End game spells they loving are not.

It's fairly simple. The overall progression path of DS3 is a straight line, with a couple dead ends off it here and there. You can't expedite much of anything. In DS2, and in DS1, you can go off the beaten path to obtain loot prematurely in order to facilitate actually playing the majority of the game as a diverse array of builds quite early. In DS3, the sheer linearity prevents this and most builds do not come into their own until about 60-70% of the way through. It makes replays feel very, very samey in a way that they never did in either 1 or 2.

The levels themselves are dense, but still quite self contained and their connections are linear. It's not really exploration in the sense of DS1 or 2.

Not really dude

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Also you can get to Lothric Castle super early if you're good enough apparently

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC3N8W2bLdU

First time I met this guy in my first Souls game since DeS. I love how this game is just as willing to give bullshit deaths to enemies as it is to the player.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Eonwe posted:

since you don't have a problem until second phase, get him to second phase

then

im sure what you are doing is what I did, and that was be too concerned about him hitting you

you are probably rolling really early and too often

be more deliberate with your rolling and try to wait a hair longer to actually do your rolls than you normally would

also don't stay kind of midrange from him, that 2nd phase is basically designed to gently caress people up at mid range, and you are far safer right up against him than you are staying a few steps away

Thanks! Two more tries and I got him down, staying close to him was key. Also, learning to actually use my shield, and actually heal myself mid-fight was, ehm, kind of important :)

The controls are really gonna take some getting used to, the camera is like its own mini-game.

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

Yep, this is my big complaint with DS3. Everything feels super fast and very, very lethal. My favorite thing about DS1/2 was methodical, deliberate progress with building tension as mistakes accumulated my risk. In DS3 I've never been worried about losing souls, and mistakes are often immediately deadly.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Pablo Gigante posted:

You can, yes. It's really the only notable sequence breaking you can do in DS3.

Sadly it doesn't facilitate all that much, all in all, because you still can't get into Grand Archives without all three Lords of Cinder dead.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Time to change the thread name back

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Like somebody said before though, pre SOTFS you were pretty limited in the order you did things in DS2, and even post SOTFS you still are. And while you get the hub-world spokes at first, the game becomes VERY linear from Drangleic onwards.

DS3 is the same thing reversed, which makes more sense, and is closer to how DS1 was. The only difference is DS1 let people go into catacombs or New Londo real early, but all that did was frustrate people who were noobs and didn't realize the aqueduct to undead burg even existed.

To be more newbie friendly, the game starts very linear and the first few zones are forced order, to keep people who are clueless from messing up. Most players who know what they're doing in DS1 start the same path anyways, with the exception of people who started with the key and beeline backwards through blighttown or garden. Only people doing SL1 invasion poo poo run around trying to kill 4K first or whatever.

DS3 starts very linear, but there's actually a good number of branching paths you can do later. Treenuts, Cathedral, Lake, demon ruins, irythll dungeon vs anor londo, etc the further along you get in the game, the more choices you actually have on what order you want to finish things. And at the end there's a couple of bonus optional zones. Its not really all that bad or different.

DS3 is pretty much just as non-linear as DS2 but its inverted so the non-linearity happens at the end, not the beginning. Which is how DS1 was, letting you do the 4 final lord souls in whatever order you wanted. The only difference is DS1 was more open than any other game in the series, and I do miss that, but the only way to make a new game that's as non-linear as DS1 would be to embrace the no-teleportation system of DS1, which was hardcore and cool, but also a huuuuuge pain for co-op or invasions or just getting around. In that regard I think DeS is actually the best balance, you can freely hop between 5 worlds if you get stuck in one, and while the worlds themselves are separated (allowing for variety) the sections within levels were fairly connected.

Pablo Gigante posted:

There's also this, if you really want that "go straight into new londo ruins" DS1 experience.

Blacktoll posted:

I dont' think anybody actually said anything like that, jackass. Feel free to quote the post that did, but it doesn't exist.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

homeless poster posted:

that's definitely something that bugs me. there's almost no slow enemies. everything is at least as fast as you, and probably a good deal faster, even if the enemy model looks like it should be this large, lumbering thing that takes time moving around.

i guess that's one way to fix the "circle strafe w/ shield up > backstab > win game" problem from ds1 & 2. if every monster moves at turbo speed, you don't really ever have the chance to try and circle behind them.

This, I felt the only challenging enemies, was big dudes with near unlimited stamina and surprisingly fast attacks for their size and the weapons they used. That and atrociously camera angles when locked on large enemies.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fast enemies is a good thing btw.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I can't help reading every complaint about the camera, netcode and hitboxes in the DSP voice.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Pablo Gigante posted:

Fast enemies is a good thing btw.

It can be. Poorly communicated speed however, is not.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The thing with DS1's non-linearity is that it's only the case for your first playthrough without a guide. Once you know what you're doing it actually becomes pretty linear, in that you always want to go for the same items.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

EMBERED DEAD KNOWS BUT ONE DESIRE

EMBERED DEAD SETS HIS SOUL ON FIRE

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

voltron lion force posted:

I can't help reading every complaint about the camera, netcode and hitboxes in the DSP voice.

Outside of putting myself in a dumbass situation trying to avoid a mob of 5+ enemies and cornering myself I've never really had an issue with the camera in any Souls game. I've always liked that the camera is very agnostic and doesn't do something unless you make it more or less.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
Got invaded in front of the Chapel bonfire by a dude named "link". Sword and board, nothing special, he failed like 3 parries in a row while I was twinswording him. As I land the killing blow on him I see a bluecop spawn behind him, and immediately do the "collapse" gesture. Sorry for killing him on my own, bluecop! :(

The only issue I've had with the camera is really just the lock-on. Sometimes I feel like it pops off when it feels like it, especially with those goat demon things. Jumped too high? Lock-on falls off. He's behind you now? Lock-on falls off. Even the ones sitting near the bonfire will break the lock-on while getting up :psyduck: It's just a minor thing, but it feels like it's more sensitive than in DS2

Tamayachi fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 22, 2016

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

By poorly communicated do you mean large? In the real world there are lots of big people that lumber around but can turn the speed on in an instant.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The game does a fine job communicating the speed of enemy movement/attacks

voltron lion force posted:

Lmao

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I kind of think that's more on you for assuming that big means slow. I get the complaint, but I also think it makes sense that a big burly dude would be able to swing his weapon fairly quickly.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
PSA and an FYI: Blue cops get an ear if you manage to make it through the fog door to a boss so don't feel bad running away from the red spirit if one shows up :v:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CRAYON posted:

By poorly communicated do you mean large? In the real world there are lots of big people that lumber around but can turn the speed on in an instant.

Dark Souls 3 is not the real world, it's a video game, and the common language of "really big guy = slow and heavy hitting" applies there.

I'm not having too much trouble with it but I'm pretty much an Easy Mode build. The spastic combos that enemies like Ghrus and Corvids do get really irritating, really fast.

Mostly the combat just makes me go back to Bloodborne again, which did it much better.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Oxxidation posted:

Dark Souls 3 is not the real world, it's a video game, and the common language of "really big guy = slow and heavy hitting" applies there.

Dark Souls subverting game design? Whoa.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CRAYON posted:

Dark Souls subverting game design? Whoa.

Dark Souls is a lot of things, but it's never been subversive.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Oxxidation posted:

Lmao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Dark Souls III is the first video game ever to feature a large character that moves fast.[citation needed]

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
They really ran wild with placing mimics in this one. I think I encountered 5 chests in the dungeon area and only one of those was an actual regular chest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I'm bad at piecing together the lore in these games, but I'm really interested in what's going on with the grubs near Rosaria's Bed Chamber, especially the one that only shows up later and drops Heysel's stuff. That whole place gives me major Iosefka's Clinic vibes.