Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Wangsbig posted:

ok. my thoughts on the above is that it's a bad idea. don't let some (possibly unintentional) rear end in a top hat take time from your training. if there's an actual physical reason you can't go in, fine, but you can go in and spar light with someone else or shadowbox or at least watch a class after a nosebleed. you're letting yourself get intimidated and working on that is one of the reasons a lot of people start this sort of stuff to begin with. go punch

This, get back out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Re5XNQeRbY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Pro click

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
My boxing coach once said to the class, 'if someones hitting you too hard, hit them back hard. go to the same level as your partner'. Ugh what horrible advice.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Nierbo posted:

My boxing coach once said to the class, 'if someones hitting you too hard, hit them back hard. go to the same level as your partner'. Ugh what horrible advice.

we lived by this advice at my first gym and now I can't breathe out of both nostrils or hold a pencil for over 5 minutes so yea don't do this

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Back at the gym tomorrow morning after ski bumming for a bunch of months and loving up my shoulder while skiing. I always feel shame about being gone for a while before warmups, but know in my heart that, as a white belt, most people probably don't remember me ever being there before :shobon:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Nierbo posted:

To be fair this is good advice when your only reaction to getting punched is to turtle up.

Terrible advice if someone is sparring too hard tho

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Exactly like I thought, the big dude started going too hard during drills and one of the new students drilling with him decided to reciprocate. Now big dude has two long bruises and scratches across his forearms, and he was bleeding beneath his gloves. Hopefully he learned a lesson.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Verisimilidude posted:

Exactly like I thought, the big dude started going too hard during drills and one of the new students drilling with him decided to reciprocate. Now big dude has two long bruises and scratches across his forearms, and he was bleeding beneath his gloves. Hopefully he learned a lesson.

Huh...are you drilling with MMA gloves?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

KildarX posted:

Huh...are you drilling with MMA gloves?

It's HEMA, so we have hard shell fencing gloves. Newer guy got just beneath the cuff and managed to break skin with a blunt sword.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Pfft I don't need a mouth guard mouth guard for standup light randori. Pfft. I totally meant to put that tooth through my lip when I did a drop seoi. Just what I always wanted, a hole there.

:backtowork:

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

CommonShore posted:

Pfft I don't need a mouth guard mouth guard for standup light randori. Pfft. I totally meant to put that tooth through my lip when I did a drop seoi. Just what I always wanted, a hole there.

:backtowork:

Sorry my dude. obviously we're gonna need pics.
Also excellent use of :backtowork:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Sharzak posted:

Sorry my dude. obviously we're gonna need pics.
Also excellent use of :backtowork:

I'll take a pic once the doc takes off the bandage and cleans me up. And then after the stitches

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

No before pic. My phone died before the doc had a chance to see me, and I just wanted to get the gently caress out. Also given that this is on my face, and in soft tissue, I didn't want to remove the bandage on my own and risk tearing it further and make the scarring worse. (e. to clarify, the tooth went clear through the lip.)

PSA: I was the one initiating the technique, and I did it with good control. For those of you who are about to say "if you did it with good control you wouldn't have gotten hit in the face," the x factor was that I was throwing a white belt and he got super tense mid-throw. I think he pulled into me and ended up about 6 inches away from where I'd expect him to be, so we had a mouth-on-head collision. It was in light randori that this happened.

The point is to always wear your mouthguard, kids.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 26, 2016

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

CommonShore posted:

PSA: I was the one initiating the technique, and I did it with good control. For those of you who are about to say "if you did it with good control you wouldn't have gotten hit in the face," the x factor was that I was throwing a white belt and he got super tense mid-throw. I think he pulled into me and ended up about 6 inches away from where I'd expect him to be, so we had a mouth-on-head collision. It was in light randori that this happened.

Why are you drop seoi nage-ing a white belt?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

sivad posted:

Why are you drop seoi nage-ing a white belt?

There's a bit of a story here, but it's a good question. First, he's been really interested in that throw, so it wasn't new to him, and he has been thrown with it before. In fact, about 4 minutes earlier I had let him throw me with it a few times. We were then doing really light randori and he was stiff arming me. I kept telling him to relax his arms because people could use this against him. I started by foot sweeping him a few times in different ways by pushing into his stiff arms to make him step. I then told him that the drop seoi was another counter to the stiff arms and he should be careful, because if his arms are stiff I could go right under them and throw him. And then I threw him. I didn't snap it hard or anything. It was at about half-speed.

So no, it's not as if we were doing shiai and I was spiking him like a football because I could. It was his throw of the day and it was closely related to what we were trying to accomplish in that round of practice.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

CommonShore posted:

So no, it's not as if we were doing shiai and I was spiking him like a football because I could.

Maybe if you had, your lip would be be intact. and he would be dead

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
I have owies on my fingers from spider guard.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Keg posted:

i have been rolling with mummy hands ever since I got back on the mat

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

Keg posted:

Pistol grips and tape?

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

MalleusDei posted:

Pistol grips and tape?

I was bragging

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

Keg posted:

I was bragging

Haha, fair enough. I'm just getting my callouses back on my knuckles after an extended break.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Does anyone know any mma gyms in North jersey? I live in Essex county. It's easy to find Muay Thai and bjj gyms (both of which o have trained in) but seems almost impossible to find a straight mma program.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
I tapped through expert no-gi in naga last weekend. No real submissions, just crankin on appendages. My coach said "If technique doesn't work, being powerful will."

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
U wot

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

i have won many matches with my powerful 'belly squeeze' technique

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

This 6 week break from judo is doing me wonders. Doing StrongLifts 5x5 is making me starting to think about my body movement and getting more attuned to how my body works when it comes to to doing standup technique. Also having my roommate not talk about judo 24/7 is a god sent too since she has no other hobbies or friends and buys everything judo.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Is your roommate the crazy girl or your gf?

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Any brand recommendations for athletic tape (for patching up skinned knuckles)? I just need to it stick decently and tear relatively easily and my current tape does neither.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I've been happy with Leukoplast which... Huh, is actually a surgical tape. Never realized that.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Decades posted:

Any brand recommendations for athletic tape (for patching up skinned knuckles)? I just need to it stick decently and tear relatively easily and my current tape does neither.

I use Renfrew Sports tape and it's quite decent. Not sure if it's available outside Canada.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
I don't know if this is like widespread knowledge or not but there's some crazy guy going to gyms and beating up on people who are just sparring or training lightly. He is literally mentally disturbed and if anyone LA goons see this guy in their gym, do not train with him. He's completely nuts. He's the guy that started swinging against Floyd Mayweather Sr before he was ready. He literally thinks he is a world champion boxer and calls out fighters much better than him and goes and gets his rear end whupped and then goes on FB and youtube and tells a story about how he just won. Its insane. He's insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOJqm7Vty6w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK22F4DGAL8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np3M_pHEsp0

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
That's disturbing but delontay Wilder just got a fan off his righteous beating on that guy.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
drat, Wilder was so steamed, he threw on two right gloves.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Of all the people to call a punk, Wilder is a terribly bad choice. He is so legit its not even funny. Not to mention the huge weight disparity.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Nierbo posted:

Of all the people to call a punk, Wilder is a terribly bad choice. He is so legit its not even funny. Not to mention the huge weight disparity.

I'm pretty sure that dude says "I hit you in the body though" at about 3:50 in that video. Like he's going to tell his grandkids about that one day. "Once I hit Deontay Wilder in the body!" I kind of want someone to beat him at his own game, say "yeah lets box" then take him down and choke his bitch rear end out. That's the 13 year old in me speaking though.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Someone give that guy Badr Hari's phone number

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

CommonShore posted:

Someone give that guy Badr Hari's phone number

That's not even funny

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I saw videos of that Charlie dude a year or so back, to be honest I'm surprised he's still alive.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

Is your roommate the crazy girl or your gf?

Roommate is the crazy girl. Since my girlfriend moved in a few months ago, crazy girl tries to talk judo with both of us at all times. The girlfriend joined me on my 6 week break with her BJJ because of a falling out with the new instructor at her gym and is riding out the remainder of her contract before going to another gym that is better in all regards.

Not having crazy girl chime in about with some judo meme or a quote from her "personal journey" journal is a great feeling when you are doing anything else that is not martial arts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
What are the freshest judo memes?

• Locked thread