Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

mensrea posted:

After checking out ME and big reactors I understand why people prefer them. The machines are better in almost every way. Those GUI's are slick as hell. It's past the point where I can remove IC2 but I really want to include at least ME and big reactors and I think I can do it without it feeling like some bloated, kitchen-sink pack. Are there any good chargeable tool mods that go well with ME? Ideally something that can mine up to a 3x3 area.

tinker's construct basically does this, but without the charge part

ball of moss works great for most tools but 3x3 mining hammers you will probably just wear out eventually

at least they are cheap to make

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

mensrea posted:

After checking out ME and big reactors I understand why people prefer them. The machines are better in almost every way. Those GUI's are slick as hell. It's past the point where I can remove IC2 but I really want to include at least ME and big reactors and I think I can do it without it feeling like some bloated, kitchen-sink pack. Are there any good chargeable tool mods that go well with ME? Ideally something that can mine up to a 3x3 area.

Are you talking about TE?

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Glory of Arioch posted:

tinker's construct basically does this, but without the charge part

ball of moss works great for most tools but 3x3 mining hammers you will probably just wear out eventually

at least they are cheap to make

With TE installed, Tinkers' Construct lets you mod it to use flux (ie, rechargable) instead of durability. There is a 3x3(x1) mining tool called the hammer in that.

In Mekanism, the ...atomic disassembler(?) is power based and does either 3x3 or 5x5 I think? (5x5 burns more power/less efficiently)

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Fayk posted:

With TE installed, Tinkers' Construct lets you mod it to use flux (ie, rechargable) instead of durability. There is a 3x3(x1) mining tool called the hammer in that.

In Mekanism, the ...atomic disassembler(?) is power based and does either 3x3 or 5x5 I think? (5x5 burns more power/less efficiently)

Atomic Dissasembler is good but not that good, it has several modes OFF, Slow, Normal, Fast, Vein

Fast means you can go through cobble faster than creative. Vein takes out all linked non stone / dirt blocks.
Vein will also take out whole trees in one hit.
Also it doubles as a Bee Scoop actually breaking the hives and dropping all

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Atomic Disassembler in Fast mode makes mining everything except Obsidian like using a diamond pickaxe on netherrack.

But yeah, no 3x3 modes.

Immersive Engineering has a pretty cool drill that does 3x3 though.

One thing to note though is IC2's EU -> RF though, if you use other tech mods.

..oh god I want Matter Overdrive in more things. It's like.. laser rifles and laser shotguns and laser mining and -high tech EMC- using machines and a AE2-autocrafting-style queue system for producing stuff from plasma you melt other things into. Oh and you can become a customisable android. Which is like.. infusing yourself with a Modular Powersuit. Oh yeah and a power generator system that uses black holes you can feed matter to grow (thus netting you more power). Also quests. And other stuff.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 21, 2016

Heffer
May 1, 2003

God drat, the new RFTools elevator looks good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Auc0Wbfni4

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Heffer posted:

God drat, the new RFTools elevator looks good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Auc0Wbfni4

Do want in whatever modpacks I play in the future.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

TheresaJayne posted:

Atomic Dissasembler is good but not that good, it has several modes OFF, Slow, Normal, Fast, Vein

Fast means you can go through cobble faster than creative. Vein takes out all linked non stone / dirt blocks.
Vein will also take out whole trees in one hit.
Also it doubles as a Bee Scoop actually breaking the hives and dropping all

Ok, you're right. I was thinking of how Aidan noted the hoe radius in the two modes. Sorry.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Heffer posted:

This is something that Minecraft has needed for a very long time.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Heffer posted:

Sweet, hopefully it's flexible visually. I had a design I kind of liked awhile back using opencomputers holograms as floor indicators but it was a pain in the rear end to set up.

mensrea
Mar 17, 2016

McFrugal posted:

Are you talking about TE?

Yes. I tend to want to call it ME for some reason.

The IE drill is really cool but afaik it can only be refilled in the refilling machine? I tried to add some recipes for hand-held refilling but NBT tags make it very complicated to do that and still retain upgrades.

I had no idea about the tinkers construct using RF thing. That sounds perfect.

mensrea fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 21, 2016

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

mensrea posted:

The IE drill is really cool but afaik it can only be refilled in the refilling machine? I tried to add some recipes for hand-held refilling but NBT tags make it very complicated to do that and still retain upgrades.

(Actually IE drill can be refilled in an ExtraCells ME Fluid Terminal but otherwise yeah)

And oh poo poo that elevator.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

mensrea posted:

You can also refill the drill using a jerry can.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Holy cow. Blightfall still has secrets.

I was watching my son play a creative game i set up for him. I didnt know there was a door in the great redwood ><

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Meskhenet posted:

Holy cow. Blightfall still has secrets.

I was watching my son play a creative game i set up for him. I didnt know there was a door in the great redwood ><

Wait, really? Where uh.. where did you think the silverwood tree was?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I know that AE2 has an 8 devices maximum per channel, but does AE1 have a similar limit across the entire network?

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Bouchacha posted:

I know that AE2 has an 8 devices maximum per channel, but does AE1 have a similar limit across the entire network?

AE1 doesn't give a drat. Plug in anything anywhere and as long as you have enough power, it works.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Black Pants posted:

Wait, really? Where uh.. where did you think the silverwood tree was?

I didnt know there was a silverwood tree there. There are a few blooms up top on the canopy and the 2 out the front.

And i made the amathrawhatsitsname to get all the botania flowers, so never noticed i never found the brown ones.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Meskhenet posted:

I didnt know there was a silverwood tree there. There are a few blooms up top on the canopy and the 2 out the front.

And i made the amathrawhatsitsname to get all the botania flowers, so never noticed i never found the brown ones.

Pretty sure there's a silverwood tree at every waypoint.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

McFrugal posted:

Pretty sure there's a silverwood tree at every waypoint.

Yeah. in retrospec i should have looked, but by the time i got to the redwood i really didnt need silverwoods :/

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Heffer posted:

Too bad that's 1.9 only apparently.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

RaspberryCommie posted:

Too bad that's 1.9 only apparently.

Not really a downside. Gotta get stuff updated to 1.9 sooner or later.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I thought 1.8 and 1.9 lacked a working RF framework, how does RFTools work on them?

Also last I heard there were only magic stuff made for 1.8, when did RFTools join that? :psyduck:

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Black Pants posted:

I thought 1.8 and 1.9 lacked a working RF framework, how does RFTools work on them?

Also last I heard there were only magic stuff made for 1.8, when did RFTools join that? :psyduck:

Deep Resonance has a power generation system, and is by the same maker as RFTools.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
IIRC TeamCoFH did release an official 1.8.9 RF API, but there isn't one for 1.9 yet. Before the official one, others had made an ad-hoc, unofficial API (maybe more than one) for their mods to use.

I personally can't wait for 1.9 to take over, I'm so sick of 1.7.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Fortis posted:

IIRC TeamCoFH did release an official 1.8.9 RF API, but there isn't one for 1.9 yet. Before the official one, others had made an ad-hoc, unofficial API (maybe more than one) for their mods to use.

I personally can't wait for 1.9 to take over, I'm so sick of 1.7.
The Thaumcraft changes (which, to be fair, appeared in 1.8.9) alone are worth never look back at 1.7. No scanning every single block/item, no stockpiling research points or waiting to click through deconstruction tables, easy essentia storage and retrieval, hell, you don't even need to scan items to know what they boil down to, you start off knowing.

Then you throw in all the cool poo poo that 1.9 adds even unmodded.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

yeah i am not really missing the lack of tech mods in 1.8.9 at all

then again i love the botania vanilla automation stuff so maybe i'm just weird

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you are very weird

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

speaking of very weird, what's that gregtech pack people were playing recently that had like six stacks of clay needed to make a screw or something

and where can i get it

i'm sick of Regrowth and i've got the sperg itch

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

speaking of very weird, what's that gregtech pack people were playing recently that had like six stacks of clay needed to make a screw or something

and where can i get it

http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/mcnewhorizons.677387

have fun :shepface:

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

and where can i get it

It's on Technic

http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/mcnewhorizons.677387

they fixed the thing where the brick mold would pop out of the crafting table every time so you at least will be spared that headache, but i haven't played in a while and apparently the latest update nerfed a bunch of thaumcraft stuff according to the changelog so swings and roundabouts.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I'm looking forward to a move to 1.9 if only for the boats.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

thanks i've got my special gaming mask all ready

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog
Speaking of Gregtech...someone decided that it should be included with Terrafirmacraft and made this:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/minecraft-mods/mod-packs/2384783-terrafirmagreg-alpha-terrafirmacraft-gregtech

Why would anyone want to play that? Just WHY.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

hmm, getting to the end of my first day in New Horizons... wonder how you make torches...

oh

oh

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

hmm, getting to the end of my first day in New Horizons... wonder how you make torches...

oh

oh

There are a bunch of ways. The best way at the very beginning is to find a rubber tree, get sapling(s) and use the resin from chopping the tree down along with string to make the torches. Make treetaps once you have the tools so you can get more resin out of trees or even stop chopping them altogether and just let the resin spots regenerate over time. Get cotton as soon as you can so that you have a constant source of string. You can also make torches from beeswax instead of resin, so once you have a centrifuge (you don't need the Forestry machine) you can just steal some apiaries from villages and plop any old bee in there to get combs. If you can't find a village with apiaries, you can just use bee houses or turn bee houses into the Harvestcraft apiary and put Harvestcraft bees in there. You should spend your first natural diamond on a portal to TF, where you can collect torchberries for torches. Charcoal is like the worst way to make torches, don't do it.

...I think you can process Harvestcraft combs with a hammer to get a beeswax equivalent for torches, maybe? Edit: yes, you can.

If you find coal ore somewhere you can get to it without torches, that's a good way to get some at the start too. Don't spend all your coal on torches, though, there are better uses for coal.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Apr 23, 2016

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

oh

oh

*you plop down a torch on the ground just to discover that everything in the vacninity is now on fire including youself, you learn from this and plop it down inside on a stone wall where it wont hurt anything and you die from carbon monoxide poisoning"

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

SugarAddict posted:

*you plop down a torch on the ground just to discover that everything in the vacninity is now on fire including youself, you learn from this and plop it down inside on a stone wall where it wont hurt anything and you die from carbon monoxide poisoning"

Thankfully, Enviromine is not in NH, and neither is whatever stupid mod that makes torches light poo poo on fire when you first place them.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

McFrugal posted:

Thankfully, Enviromine is not in NH, and neither is whatever stupid mod that makes torches light poo poo on fire when you first place them.

Even fans of Gregtech thought that was just going too far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog
Don't suppose anyone has an inscriber automation setup for Blightfall? I did try one but it won't work due to power not transfering between the 5 inscribers because of RF and it's bloody shenanigans, I can make one that works but it's fantastically messy and slow as a result and I like neither.