Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sinister_Beekeeper
Oct 20, 2012

GGLucas posted:

You'll be able to buy the expansion for $9,99.

Thanks!

I hope this sells well as you all totally deserve it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
New article up! This one's about the First, the other new race the expansion adds. We also talk about the new AI and its new configurable settings and how Multiplayer works between people who have the expansion and who don't.

Click here if you want to read more about it!

Firgof fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 21, 2016

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Firgof posted:

Closest we've got to that at the moment is the Graviton engine, which allows the ship to thrust in any direction no matter what direction it's presently facing.
The Skip Drive also can instantly nullify any accrued speed with a point-FTL to the ship's present location.

We do try to keep things at least semi-realistic. Some stuff has to be abstracted out simply because we're playing a game but Andrew likes to ensure things at least try to remain accurate (e.g. no green/purple stars)

Graviton engine's are cool, since they negate the time required to rotate, but the problem is the amount of thrust they put out compared to the inertia of the ships, and the basically uncapped top speed. Basically there is no way to put out an amount of thrust that will counter act the mass of the bigger ships.

FTL Mechanics are fine though, including the skip-drives etc.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Firgof posted:

New article up! This one's about the First, the other new race the expansion adds. We also talk about the new AI and its new configurable settings and how Multiplayer works between people who have the expansion and who don't.

Click here if you want to read more about it!

Holy poo poo those First guys are extremely my poo poo

But this;

quote:

In order to allow people to play multiplayer with as many others as possible, the expansion content automatically gets unlocked in multiplayer depending only on if the host player has the expansion installed.

So even if you don't own the expansion, hop into a multiplayer game hosted by someone who does and you will be free to try out any of the new stuff!

You guys are incredible :allears:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
What day is the release? I thought it was today for some reason.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
It's tomorrow so you're not that far off.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Firgof posted:

:toot:

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Firgof posted:

:vince:

GGLucas
Feb 12, 2014

It's not a shill account if I paid 40gp for it, right?
If anyone feels like trying to beat a dev we're going to be running two open multiplayer games at 8PM EDT and 8PM CEST tomorrow. You won't need the expansion to join the game and come try out all the new features.

We'll also be streaming the games on twitch, hopefully we'll get a good amount of people into the games and have some fun trying to get elected for senate leader to build some walls.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

quote:

have some fun trying to get elected for senate leader to build some walls.
Make Hat great again.

(Why does it seem like we always get a system named Hat in dev games anyway)

Firgof fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 22, 2016

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

GGLucas posted:

Outpost and Protect System have no effect on the takeovers from an influence victory.

You can totally firewall off your empire by surrounding it with supernovas though. Though all they'd need to do would be to move a planet into one of the now empty systems ;)

There's a resource that protects against defections right (drugs?). Can I drug my empire into total loyalty in the face of superior culture?

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

DatonKallandor posted:

There's a resource that protects against defections right (drugs?). Can I drug my empire into total loyalty in the face of superior culture?

Sadly, Drugs is more speed than it is weed - makes your people more alert and work harder.
Even Psionic Reagants can't stop the flow. The news is so powerful and so influencing that it converts on contact.

You could consider it the deployment of a Memetic Virus; like a song that gets in your head and won't go away, except it's a desire to consider uniting together with that one Empire.
All it takes is contact with the 'outside worlds' and bam: it's in your advertisements, the popular media, in the letters that spill out into your soup. It's even in the stars.
Your friends are talking about it and so are your parents; every time anyone says anything about it you feel great - in fact when nobody says it for a while you feel kind of empty.
You can hear it in songs, taste it in food, feel it in the small hairs on your neck when someone whispers it. "Unity". "Unity".

Also, get hype! Today's the launchday.

Firgof fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 22, 2016

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
My wallet is prepared. :homebrew:

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Oh, a quick tip to veterans of SR2 concerning the expansion's changes: We changed a lot in some of the Zeitgeists so you may want to refamiliarize yourself with their effects when you get your hands on the update.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Purchased and downloading, then blowing off work to play. :)

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Yay! :toot:

Good luck with the sales guys!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bought it too, gonna give it a go soon.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Firgof posted:

Oh, a quick tip to veterans of SR2 concerning the expansion's changes: We changed a lot in some of the Zeitgeists so you may want to refamiliarize yourself with their effects when you get your hands on the update.

Just finished my Savage AI game, getting the expansion now!

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

It doesn't look like the DLC link on SR2s steam page shows Wake Of Heralds. Found it by searching manually just thought you guys should know.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Getting in on this poo poo soon as I leave work :woop:

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

Sedisp posted:

It doesn't look like the DLC link on SR2s steam page shows Wake Of Heralds. Found it by searching manually just thought you guys should know.

Yeah it's not showing up on my end either. We're keeping an eye on it - it might just take time for it to show up/refresh in their database.

Edit: Fun fact, We've never had a launch which went exactly to plan.

Firgof fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 22, 2016

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008
Xpac still not showing on the main SR2 page but I've found it too separately....and bought it!
Can't wait to start the a new game with all the new features!!! :kingsley:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You certainly expanded the research tree a bit.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

OwlFancier posted:

You certainly expanded the research tree a bit.

More so than it appears as well, as now there's secret projects that don't show up on the grid until you fulfill certain conditions - or grab one of the cards that unhides one.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Firgof posted:

More so than it appears as well, as now there's secret projects that don't show up on the grid until you fulfill certain conditions - or grab one of the cards that unhides one.

Well there goes my weekend.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Grabbed the xpac, gonna play after tests.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I re-wrote my old review for Star Ruler 2 and put it on the Wake of the Heralds page as well. Doing my part, apart from throwing money at you... not that reviews appear to be showing on the Wake of the Heralds page yet.

Steam. :sigh:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
But what will I do with all my lovely mods?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Firgof posted:

:eyepop:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Played a game with "The First." I think I understand their gimmick and once they get rolling they are ridiculous. Super low mass capital ships Planets that are producing hundreds of Labor/sec, disgarding all planets except luxury goods? Good stuff. They are slow rolling though, but once you are finally able to build an additional Orbital constructor you should have a nice clutch of planets.

Haven't tried the other race yet. Is one of the secret projects the ability to unlock FTL for non-ftl races?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Am I wrong or are your planet textures now reflective of the actual tiles on them? Including development which adds more lights on the dark side?

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Just picked this up on steam! Time to get Heraldric!

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

OwlFancier posted:

Am I wrong or are your planet textures now reflective of the actual tiles on them? Including development which adds more lights on the dark side?

Yup that's hidden in the patch notes. It's pretty drat cool.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cremlin Ferns are pretty loving great, a use for those dumb food/water planets!

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Turns out we had to republish the page to get the DLC link to get put on it. Sorry, folks. You should be able to easily find the DLC now.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Were megacities removed or are they a secret project now? Nevermind I found them directly to the right of where the tech tree starts.

Also does Crystal Armor suck, or is there a way to repair it say if you are in a home system and you can refit the flagship or whatever? Otherwise it seems like you'd have to scuttle your crystal armor flag ships every so often and you wouldn't be able to use it on support ships at all.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
That's the gist with it. A manual retrofit [costs money and labor] will repair it since you're rebuilding those broken sections yeah.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Bought the expansion! Time to play around with the new race gimmicks.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Firgof posted:

That's the gist with it. A manual retrofit [costs money and labor] will repair it since you're rebuilding those broken sections yeah.

Cool. That's fine, I just want to make sure I don't have to scuttle and rebuild, especially with the experience system that's been put in.

Just lost my first game vs 5 Hard AI's as the Large Gate race. It took me a while to figure out their strategy, but I think I've got it now. You start with 3 gates, they are all linked as far as I can tell with labor pool, construction queues etc. So in order to keep up you need to build additional gates. Now does each individual gate get better as you build more gates? If so, then that is how they scale, and eventually as long as you have the materials to build additional gates, each gate will be a monster that will soon exceed the capacity of a level 5 planet.

Or am I wrong and that their strategy is to settle a few industrial planets and use those as their primary production engine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Powercrazy posted:

Cool. That's fine, I just want to make sure I don't have to scuttle and rebuild, especially with the experience system that's been put in.

Just lost my first game vs 5 Hard AI's as the Large Gate race. It took me a while to figure out their strategy, but I think I've got it now. You start with 3 gates, they are all linked as far as I can tell with labor pool, construction queues etc. So in order to keep up you need to build additional gates. Now does each individual gate get better as you build more gates? If so, then that is how they scale, and eventually as long as you have the materials to build additional gates, each gate will be a monster that will soon exceed the capacity of a level 5 planet.

Or am I wrong and that their strategy is to settle a few industrial planets and use those as their primary production engine?

I've only been experimenting with them so far, but I don't think the beacons "clone" resources. Like, yeah, you have 3 beacons, and exporting a 3 labor resource to a beacon causes it to produce 3 labor, but they seem to all share it; if you build a ship at one beacon it seems to be being built at every gate. So you don't get 3x3 labor out of it.

Additionally, you can export defense/energy/research resources to the beacon to buy upgrades, but most of those upgrades seem to be about improving the combat abilities of the beacon. Honestly the upgrades don't look too impressive to me so far, so I mostly play them as a normal empire with the ability to "buy" population. I may be missing something, though.

Edit: The combat upgrades do seem to apply to every beacon, so maybe you can get them to the point of being basically deathstars and then start dropping them on your enemies.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 23, 2016

• Locked thread