Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Rhyno posted:

God drat it. I think Monte either has or is going to take the key just so he can be with his mom again.

He's too busy trying to find a way to force his way into ALIE's back door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
There were a lot of POV shots this episode, and a couple other non-traditional camera angles as well. I thought that was a fun way to mix things up.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Sinclair :(

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

TMMadman posted:

I really liked how even though her friends were dying, Clarke waited forever until she used the Alie 2.0 chip on Emerson.

Well you see, Clarke is kind of a loving idiot.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
Who on the show isn't?

'Ok, put down your weapons so I can kill you all, or I'll kill your sister!'
*puts down gun*

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Have we finally entered the stage of the show where the thread is about how everyone else would handle this post apocalyptic hell scape so much smarter than everyone on the show?

Rocksicles posted:

I find it hilarious that after all these scores of people she'd murked or killed by force of will, she can't loving fight. Like at all.

Well, she's pretty much mastered the art of killing hundreds with the push of the button. She's all about maximum death for minimal effort.

When Octavia was off getting training Clarke was just committing another war crime.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Clarke has at least mastered the "play dead, then attack" maneuver. Used it against Roan, and in the initial fight with Emerson.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Clarke is no brute, she's not going to get into some dumb fistfight. Instead she'll thake her time to come up with the way to use her resources to kill as many people as painfully as possible without actually laying a finger on them.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Rocksicles posted:

I find it hilarious that after all these scores of people she'd murked or killed by force of will, she can't loving fight. Like at all.
To be fair we are talking about a teenage girl/young adult woman being attacked by a grown man with police/military training. If he wasn't full of rage and anger over her killing Mt Weather, he probably would've killed her no trouble.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

STAC Goat posted:

Have we finally entered the stage of the show where the thread is about how everyone else would handle this post apocalyptic hell scape so much smarter than everyone on the show?

No, I'm just saying she's a loving idiot, because she's got this dumbass martyr complex and seemed to genuinely believe that Emerson, the guy who blew up like 50 people in Mount Weather, was going to spare everyone if she gave up her life in return.

Though I'm not sure what the logic was behind killing Sinclair specifically and sparing the rest so Clarke could watch them die, when he made the effort of carrying three of them (presumably by foot because we never see a vehicle) for several miles.

raditts fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 22, 2016

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
At the risk of kicking up another social justice argument, man what's happened to Octavia this season? She went from

To being laid out by like every character, it's bullshit :colbert:

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I stopped paying attention midway through and thought for a moment that the body Octavia was crying over was Bellamy's - that he'd somehow died before anyone else in the airlock - and then I was super disappointed when the camera cut to his stupid gormless face.

VagueRant posted:

And now that he's actually back to doing things, Jasper's been basically one of the best characters. (Alongside Raven, Sinclair and Kane)
:smith:

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Wow we're really going to keep this one going eh?
I know we shouldn't bring up titgate again, but I did think it was funny that in the episode RIGHT AFTER the thread had a hugfest over Clarke's boobs (and how hidden they usually are) she was suddenly dropping cleavage.

Rocksicles posted:

Eh, she knocked Anya out with a rock to the temple and she put up a good fight against Roan. But I think it totally makes sense that even though she's got sick-rear end survival instincts and probably knows her way around a blade, that she'd be overpowered by a huge dude with actual training. Show would be a lot less interesting if she was an all around badass Mary Sue type.

Monicro posted:

At the risk of kicking up another social justice argument, man what's happened to Octavia this season? She went from

To being laid out by like every character, it's bullshit :colbert:
Sadly, that was pretty much the first and only time she ever got to be a badass. (Although it still REALLY annoys me that she throws the machete through body armour. As if throwing it wasn't bad enough.)

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I think I'm sadder over Sinclair than I was Lincoln. :smith:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

hollylolly posted:

I think I'm sadder over Sinclair than I was Lincoln. :smith:

Yeah but are you outraged over it?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Where were they keeping Lincoln's body all that time anyway? Did they just leave him baking in the sun somewhere for several days?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

raditts posted:

Where were they keeping Lincoln's body all that time anyway? Did they just leave him baking in the sun somewhere for several days?
The answer is just so clear when you stop and think back for a moment.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
So, uhhhh...

I feel like there might be trouble on the horizon.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
So there was a way bigger dip after episode 3?

I think the lesson here is less about pissing off social-media-website-of-choice and more that ratings usually degrade over a season, moreso when the show has been outright dull and the scheduling has been erratic.

Reckon you'd see a similar dip for The Flash this season, though much higher on the scale.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

VagueRant posted:

I think the lesson here is less about pissing off social-media-website-of-choice and more that ratings usually degrade over a season, moreso when the show has been outright dull and the scheduling has been erratic.

Reckon you'd see a similar dip for The Flash this season, though much higher on the scale.

I think it mostly teaches us that you shouldn't open a season with a series of confusing, poorly directed episodes that try to change the direction of the show as clumsily as possible.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
The numbers are meaningless without comparison to how other shows do in the ratings throughout seasons, and how other shows have done in the same season.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

that one guy posted:

The numbers are meaningless without comparison to how other shows do in the ratings throughout seasons, and how other shows have done in the same season.

I don't thik many shows lose like 40% of their audience between episode one and half-season. Successful seasons actually gain viewers season-on-season, and retain them more or less throughout their run.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

I don't thik many shows lose like 40% of their audience between episode one and half-season. Successful seasons actually gain viewers season-on-season, and retain them more or less throughout their run.
I too have lots of thoughts on what probably happens, but I also temper them by realizing I don't actually know what's normal for ratings ups and downs. Perhaps you know more than I do, which is entirely possible. But for me, these numbers are meaningless without greater context. I could use them to support a narrative I already have in my head but I don't know if I'd be right in doing so or not.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

You probably haven't been watching the ratings for network shows in the past couple of years. This is the trend, not an anomaly. You want an anomaly, try something like Empire instead. Maybe maybe occasionally The Flash in really short per-week-bursts. As in when cross-over events happen, probably only then.

Most shows premiere high and slowly lose viewers as the season goes on. This is no longer a surprise.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

that one guy posted:

I too have lots of thoughts on what probably happens, but I also temper them by realizing I don't actually know what's normal for ratings ups and downs. Perhaps you know more than I do, which is entirely possible. But for me, these numbers are meaningless without greater context. I could use them to support a narrative I already have in my head but I don't know if I'd be right in doing so or not.

What? It's not hard to track TV trends. In fact it's kinda hard to be ignorant of how shows change their audiences thorughout seasons, in my experience, since the WIki page of any give show will contain a detailed break down of it entire run's performance and an analysis of how it compares to the norm.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sober posted:

You probably haven't been watching the ratings for network shows in the past couple of years. This is the trend, not an anomaly. You want an anomaly, try something like Empire instead. Maybe maybe occasionally The Flash in really short per-week-bursts. As in when cross-over events happen, probably only then.

Most shows premiere high and slowly lose viewers as the season goes on. This is no longer a surprise.

Yes, they premiere high and lose viewers. They do not lose 20% week on week, not even early in a season. at least when it comes to genre fiction, non+superhero shows aimed at younf audiences.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Look I'm a bitcoin economist and I can tell you that this is is a good thing because it can only go up Up UP.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

raditts posted:

I assume Pike buried him and Bellamy dug him up. In the previous episode Octavia was insisting on going back to burn Lincoln's body as his traditions demanded. So Bellamy took it on himself to excavate Lincoln so Octavia could have some closure.

VagueRant posted:

Eh, she knocked Anya out with a rock to the temple and she put up a good fight against Roan. But I think it totally makes sense that even though she's got sick-rear end survival instincts and probably knows her way around a blade, that she'd be overpowered by a huge dude with actual training. Show would be a lot less interesting if she was an all around badass Mary Sue type.

Yeah, its a weird think to criticize Clarke's lack of fighting skills. It would be completely weird and undeserved if she was a skilled fighter. Octavia's had some training from the Grounders. Bellamy, Harper, and Miller have had some training as guardsmen. But Clarke's received absolutely zero training so if she was able to take Roan or Emerson - trained fighter/soldiers twice her size - it would be really pretty stupid.

Like, its already kind of a stretch for Octavia to be kind of a bad rear end because of a few weeks of training, but I think they tend to temper that. That gif posted is more of a surprise attack than some legit hand-to-hand combat situation.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

King Roan is really bad at tracking Clarke. I keep waiting for him to show up!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Spergatory posted:

So, uhhhh...

The show already got renewed for a 4th season, so...

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Oh, I'm well aware. But trouble can take forms other than cancellations. Hirings, firings, reduced budget and episode counts, etc. Apparently most of the cast will be renegotiating their contracts this year, too, so who knows what might happen in the coming months.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again
Isn't a 1.1 rating still good for CW standards?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Spergatory posted:

So, uhhhh...

307 was when Lexa was killed. Then a nose dive.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Oroborus posted:

Isn't a 1.1 rating still good for CW standards?
That's total viewer count. The CW doesn't really go above fractional ratings except with The Flash.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

VagueRant posted:

Clearly Lexa died in 3x01, then 3x03 and again on 3x07

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Clearly Lexa died in 3x01, then 3x03 and again on 3x07

She also got resurrected on 3x04 and 3x08, but the resurrection was only so-so on 3x08, if I'm reading the chart correctly.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The 100 (S3) - It's all Lexa's fault

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
I'm no expert on TV ratings or anything, but when the TV world is buzzing for weeks about how people are Pissed about a thing happening and you see a literal graph displaying that indeed lots of people stopped watching immediately after it, and you're still cracking jokes about how the thing didnt matter and the people who cared are a microscopic minority on the internet, maybe take a step or two back

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Monicro posted:

I'm no expert on TV ratings or anything, but when the TV world is buzzing for weeks about how people are Pissed about a thing happening and you see a literal graph displaying that indeed lots of people stopped watching immediately after it, and you're still cracking jokes about how the thing didnt matter and the people who cared are a microscopic minority on the internet, maybe take a step or two back

This.

A shows ratings always fall off after the first couple episodes of a season. New viewers don't know what's going on an ditch and others just stop caring. Then the ratings stabilize. Which this did for 4 weeks. Until Lexa died and its been in a free fall ever since. It trys to recover a tiny bit but then whoops, Lincoln dies and the ratings plummet further. Turns out killing off two of your most popular characters in retarded rear end ways is a bad idea.

FFS this isn't some CBS juggernaut, these CW shows live and die by a small devoted fan base. And if you lose them you're screwed.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Apr 24, 2016

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Monicro posted:

But does anything really matter? :effort:

Honestly, the season has suffered from rushed storylines (Pike, Farm Station, Bellamy's heel turn, the Massacre of the Trikru army all squished into like two episodes), and awkwardly plotted/executed deaths (Lexa), and only now seems to be finding a good pace.

Unfortunately, it may be too late to bring back the people who have been chased off by the earlier mistakes. While I don't agree that Lexa's death was reason to quit the show, I respect the right of other people to think that. And then following that up with a chaser of executing Lincoln was not great.

And then Sinclair. :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Monicro posted:

Considering that both 3x01 and 3x03 had much bigger drops in rating immediately afterwards than 3x07 did, and nothing equivalent to Lexa's death, we have zero evidence that the drop after 3x07 was caused by Lexa's death. In fact, there is no way to tell if Lexa's death even had even a measurable impact on ratings. Just because a bunch of LGBT folks and SJWs got annoyed doesn't mean much. For all we know, the ratings may have dropped because a cow in Ohio farted.

• Locked thread