Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Realistically no there isn't a way to do that, you will face 3v1's against experienced people. But that's how you :gitgud:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Obligatum VII posted:

You know what weird mashup/callout From hasn't done in a souls game yet? Armored Core. I dunno about you, but I'd be down for somehow fighting a mech in a DLC.

Did you miss the pursuer in 2 somehow?

Moongrave fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 22, 2016

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Bogart posted:

Here's an idea: we use spoiler tags for everything past Farron Keep. Like this: Yhorm the Giant is easy mode for co-oping.

Or, how about we don't spoil the name of a dude who shows up in the opening cutscene, and has a big honking chair with his name on it in Firelink, and instead spoil the mechanical aspect. Like this: Yhorm the Giant is easy mode for co-oping

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
You beat him by using the Storm Ruler which is a weapon in the room.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Spoiler every post. If someone told me dark sword is good that might ruin my experience because then I wouldn't want to use any other weapon

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Just a perfectly normal farm hand.
Brad from Giant Bomb is streaming Dark Souls 1 Anor Londo and whilst yes, he isn't at the game its really hammering home just how much more forgiving Dark Souls 3 is. Recovery times are shorter, it's easier to roll around enemies, the mid roll has more invincibility frames, you chug estus faster. I ran through Undead Parish earlier and had the same observations.

Dark Souls 3 does not want you to turtle up with a shield and wait for the right moment to attack. It wants you to charge. It's certainly not Bloodborne (though I do miss the rally mechanic), but it's certainly a faster game.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
I'm really enjoying embracing the idea the Mound Makers, especially since I don't actually care about the rewards. Sometimes you try to kill the host, sometimes you legit coop with them, sometimes you help other phantoms, sometimes you fight them, or some combination of each.

I wish if you invaded as a mad phantom you could fight enemies. I love the idea of involuntary coop.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wagrid posted:

Dark Souls 3 does not want you to turtle up with a shield and wait for the right moment to attack. It wants you to charge.

I always enjoy when invaders sit next to some npcs and freak out when they see me blitz them.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Okay, PvP in this game is broken. Invade a guy, he runs to the bonfire and summons dudes then a blue guy comes as icing on the top. Invade a guy, him and two of his buddies are standing right where you spawn in, emote at you, you can't move because you have two heavy weapons smashing you and a lightning spear hitting you. Invade a guy at level 20, his friend in Ornstein's gear casts something that demolishes you because you don't have the HP for that poo poo. Invade a guy, leveled down guy with a pimped out estoc pokes you three times and you die.

It was fun when it's a few purple pals against the host and his crew of dudes, but solo invading is complete garbage.

It'd be nice if you couldn't switch in and out of Way of the White at will. When you're not sunbroing or invading there's no reason not to have Way of the White on.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
You really are underselling just how bad Brad is at games.

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Just a perfectly normal farm hand.

voltron lion force posted:

You really are underselling just how bad Brad is at games.

I originally wrote 'hot garbage' but didn't want to be mean.

On the other hand, I deliberately included the line about my experiences in anticipation of this response.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Robo Reagan posted:

Okay, PvP in this game is broken. Invade a guy, he runs to the bonfire and summons dudes then a blue guy comes as icing on the top. Invade a guy, him and two of his buddies are standing right where you spawn in, emote at you, you can't move because you have two heavy weapons smashing you and a lightning spear hitting you. Invade a guy at level 20, his friend in Ornstein's gear casts something that demolishes you because you don't have the HP for that poo poo. Invade a guy, leveled down guy with a pimped out estoc pokes you three times and you die.

It was fun when it's a few purple pals against the host and his crew of dudes, but solo invading is complete garbage.

It'd be nice if you couldn't switch in and out of Way of the White at will. When you're not sunbroing or invading there's no reason not to have Way of the White on.

get good... Wait am I doing this right?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Robo Reagan posted:

The way you deal with Pussy rear end Gank Squads:

1. Learn how to hit-and-run. Get in, take some health off somebody, get out without taking a hit. Rolling, quick hits, rolling again, all useful here. Once you've scratched somebody, they get mad and will almost always chase you and/or go on the offensive.

2. Run to a squad of tough enemies.

3. Use the chaos to either pick dead a phantom or, most satisfying, rush in and wreck the host in a quick combo.

The worst is a one-on-one duel that's going poorly for the host, so they summon somebody in and just roll constantly and run around until their helper can spawn in. Had one rear end in a top hat who wasted all his estus failing to get the better of me, but he called in a Sunbro and two on one is never good odds.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
In Dark Souls 1, in the Undead Burg, there's those guys with the shields and spears. They track your movements so you can't roll around them while locked on, and spin at a speed that sprinting around them is kind of pointless because they'll punish by trying to hit you. The only time they make themselves open is when they are lowering their shields to start an attack. However, you can force their guard to break by two-handing your weapon and just swinging at the shield a few times- swinging one handed will make your weapon bounce off, but being maximum aggressive will render them totally useless.

Dark Souls 3 is that, but a whole game of it.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The way you deal with Pussy rear end Gank Squads:

1. Learn how to hit-and-run. Get in, take some health off somebody, get out without taking a hit. Rolling, quick hits, rolling again, all useful here. Once you've scratched somebody, they get mad and will almost always chase you and/or go on the offensive.

2. Run to a squad of tough enemies.

3. Use the chaos to either pick dead a phantom or, most satisfying, rush in and wreck the host in a quick combo.

The worst is a one-on-one duel that's going poorly for the host, so they summon somebody in and just roll constantly and run around until their helper can spawn in. Had one rear end in a top hat who wasted all his estus failing to get the better of me, but he called in a Sunbro and two on one is never good odds.

Yeah, I know that's how you're supposed to deal with it. Just venting because I'm poo poo. Except for the time that the three guys were standing next to the spawn and I couldn't even move before dying. That was complete bullshit.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
What the hell does the Dark Sigil actually do?

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Robo Reagan posted:

Stop being a bitch lol, PvP was never meant to be a huge, 100% fair part of Dark Souls you whiny baby

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Bitchtits

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

NTT posted:

Superarmor Force is completely my poo poo. Pro as gently caress gimmick, goon

http://plays.tv/video/571a36e65733ef38e1/bridge-troll

I'm glad to see someone else in the thread 'gets' invading as opposed to just moaning about how they are always out numbed.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ravenfood posted:

What the hell does the Dark Sigil actually do?

It gives you 1 hollowing for each sigil you have every time you die. Hollowing does nothing except it makes you look like jerky when you have a lot of it. People speculate that it also makes it harder to connect via co-op but nobody knows if that's a real thing or not.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Obligatum VII posted:

You know what weird mashup/callout From hasn't done in a souls game yet? Armored Core. I dunno about you, but I'd be down for somehow fighting a mech in a DLC.

They've definitely had a bunch of callbacks at the very least. Patches was originally from Armored Core 4, you could make a good faith argument for Ostrava, Dark Soul was the name of a group in Armored Core 1, Straid/Strayed was the protagonist of Armored Core for Answer, etc etc.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

CJacobs posted:

People speculate that it also makes it harder to connect via co-op but nobody knows if that's a real thing or not.

It's not.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Oh, I'm sure it's bullshit, I just wanted to mention it because people say that when it comes up.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

This is a very good game! Don't know if I like it more than SotFS yet, probably have to wait for DLC for things to pan out. My only real complaint is that it might be *too* fast. I came onto it from Bloodborne, and played pretty much the same way, so it wasn't a huge issue, but I kind of miss the more measured pace of the earlier games. Also it was pretty lame that the last three bosses were all based around dodging two or three big horizontal attacks, get one or two retaliatory strikes in, rinse and repeat. Epic one on one duel bosses are a little overrated in this series imo, like after people loved Artorias so much From have been chasing that dragon ever since.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Atreiden posted:

get good... Wait am I doing this right?

Almost but you spelled gud wrong.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

voltron lion force posted:

My best guess would be to get the red eye orb and invade in any area after undead settlement but before carthus, around level 25-40 with a +2 or 3 weapon.

Thanks! Does it matter what weapon I have equipped, or what weapon I've upgraded the highest on that character regardless of whether it's equipped or not?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Patches was originally from Armored Core 4

:krad:

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I was gonna laugh about the funny grief-reversal in DS3 but I was trying to show a friend of mine the ropes last night and, after getting invaded a total of four times playing the entire game embered/solo, every single time he summoned me it was a nonstop invasionfest of people hanging around the High Wall of Lothric with estocs, late-game armor, and a boatload of flask charges.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Does changing your appearance with Rosaria allow you to change your name too?

I ask because upon discovering that the Slav Squat is a gesture in this game I have a childish desire to rename all of my characters to Blyat

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I love how sunbros are the real assholes in this game instead of the invaders

we should murder them all, and let the host live instead.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

I AM BRAWW posted:

Stop being a bitch lol, PvP was never meant to be a huge, 100% fair part of Dark Souls you whiny baby

"I want to cause someone grief at absolutely no risk to myself. How dare he not comply"

I feel like all bets are off with involuntary invading, but they shouldn't act like a tool if they sign-summoned you.

What's the best strength strike type weapon? Great club? Mostly want it for PvE. How effective is strike damage on player characters in heavy armor?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I AM BRAWW posted:

I said I was just venting, calm your tits

"Durr hurr can't get frustrated at a game designed to frustrate people I'm retarded"

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Random Hajile posted:

It showed up for me after advancing Leonhard's story enough that he murdered Rosaria.

Showed up for me before that for sure.

Just a thought, but have you tried murdering the non-hostile grub in the other room? Who I suspect is arch-deacon Klimt. Maybe?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I dunno how you're actually supposed to beat the Pontiff one-on-one he's so fast and his openings for attacks are pretty small; usually I've wasted all my stamina dodging his slashes and can't punish him appropriately.

The dancer is somehow worse

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Winkie01 posted:

When is the patch coming out for PS4? Mine still hasn't downloaded :shrug:

If you're talking about 1.04 it's not a patch it's a calibration

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I dunno how you're actually supposed to beat the Pontiff one-on-one he's so fast and his openings for attacks are pretty small; usually I've wasted all my stamina dodging his slashes and can't punish him appropriately.

You can avoid some of his attacks just by circle strafing and he definitely has certain attacks that give you decent sized windows to hit him.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I had trouble with him until I just started blocking. His hits don't take much stamina to block and the small amount of fire damage isn't going to kill you.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

What are people's opinions on the scythe? as fun as DS1?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like it but it's kind of slow. It's good at breaking blocks, when you two-hand it, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

I AM BRAWW posted:

gently caress that poo poo, I'm tired of having to use a costly item like Dried Finger all the time if I want to get invaded at all when I play solo. Seriously all the bitching about this seems to be from invader perspective but as someone who loves to get invaded while solo and have been invaded a grand total of twice so far it's pretty loving sad. Sure once I finish the game I'll have plenty of souls for Embers + Fingers to get invaded as much as I like, but my favorite part of DS1/2 was genuinely being invaded in low-level areas when both of us have very limited options at our disposal, and there's no way to afford that kinda expenditure to stay invade-able until you're quite a way through the game. It sucks poo poo.