Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Actually it's 50 like DKC:TF and Yoshi's Woolly World

It's showing as $59.99 on Best Buy and Amazon.
I guess it's kind of moot though since if you have Prime / GCU that brings it down to $48.

So, people who already have it and are playing it: Good purchase for $48, or should I let it wait until Black Friday and whittle down my already-overlong backlog?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Still acclimating to the controls, but having a blast. The aerowing levels make me want to go buy a drone.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

raditts posted:

I guess it's kind of moot though since if you have Prime / GCU that brings it down to $48.

So, people who already have it and are playing it: Good purchase for $48, or should I let it wait until Black Friday and whittle down my already-overlong backlog?

$48 right now? Go for it, man, especially if it also gives you SF Guard, which looks like a neat bonus thing. Zero is pretty drat fun so far and I'd say it's worth getting.

But like, if you would rather just wait and burn through your backlog first instead of jumping at the game, hey that's your call, go for it man. I'm not your dad.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

XavierGenisi posted:

I'm not your dad.

:(

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I heard Polygon poo poo the bed and said the game was bad but I'm glad the general opinion in the thread seems positive.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

This game is fantastic once you get the controls down. I also like how the level design is heavily based around the new controls. They aren't there just for the sake of it and you can do poo poo that would be impossible with SF64's controls.

Guard is also really good and first TD game I've played that's actually fun.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

raditts posted:

If you purchase on the eShop it's 49.99 with a discount towards SFGuard, however Prime's price is even better and you also get SFGuard so I guess go for it.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Squallege posted:

I heard Polygon poo poo the bed and said the game was bad but I'm glad the general opinion in the thread seems positive.

They won't review it because they can't figure out how to play it, and I don't know why they're ok with telling people that.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
What is it with Nintendo games and people on the internet flipping out whenever a critic gives it anything other than sloppy blowjobs? Especially when it's before the game has even come out so they have absolutely no grounds to challenge them on it.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Guy Mann posted:

What is it with Nintendo games and people on the internet flipping out whenever a critic gives it anything other than sloppy blowjobs? Especially when it's before the game has even come out so they have absolutely no grounds to challenge them on it.

I think there have been a lot more posts like yours saying what you are saying than people doing the thing you're talking about.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Whose idea was it to follow up two good Arwing levels with two slow as poo poo hovercraft/minibot levels?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

AdmiralViscen posted:

Whose idea was it to follow up two good Arwing levels with two slow as poo poo hovercraft/minibot levels?

I dunno but you can do both of those levels arwing/walker only later and they're fun

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Guy Mann posted:

Pretty sure this happens with most things that reach a certain popularity

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU
That all-range mode boss in the alternate route in Corneria is awful and I have no idea how you're expected to beat it.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cruel Rose posted:

That all-range mode boss in the alternate route in Corneria is awful and I have no idea how you're expected to beat it.

fly perpendicular to it and shoot to your side

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

That guy was actually my first gold trophy so he can't be that bad.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Evil Eagle posted:

I dunno but you can do both of those levels arwing/walker only later and they're fun

I thought Zolbess (or whatever) sucked with the Arwing also actually, didn't love the secret boss to get to it either.

I'm gonna proceed with the main game I guess, I like the Arwing levels in general.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm really bewildered by the complaints about how difficult people are finding the controls. I haven't even had a learning curve, and it isn't like I play Splatoon. I wonder if it is just throwing people off that it isn't identical to SF64 controlwise.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I think the cockpit view on the gamepad overwhelms people. They might think that you have to use it every time you shoot? No idea

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, I think the controls are going to take a bit for me to get used to. I'm one of those heretics that uses the right stick to aim in Splatoon, so this is pretty wonky for me. The Walker's been loving me up really badly since I try to adjust my reticle and I end up hovering or some poo poo.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I'm really bewildered by the complaints about how difficult people are finding the controls. I haven't even had a learning curve, and it isn't like I play Splatoon. I wonder if it is just throwing people off that it isn't identical to SF64 controlwise.

I thought the complaints were odd since Nintendo had already nailed gyro aiming in a number of 3DS and WiiU games.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly, I don't get the controls complaint, because the actual controls play like a dream. Like it's not that hard. You move with the left stick, the lasers and bombs are on the triggers. You get additional aim via gyro controls. The only wonky sort of thing is that the boost/brake/barrel roll is on the right stick, but even that is more that it's different from previous installments if anything. Hell, you also get buttons dedicated to somersault and u-turn, as well as a button to re-center the cockpit view/re-calibrate the gyro controls on the fly.

Really, the only thing that actually looks like it could be a problem for new players is the all-range mode lock-on function and how to move around when you're locked on, because just starting, it's weird and seems nearly impossible to actually move around and hit your targets, unless you realize the neat trick of....realizing that you have a second screen with a cockpit, and you should be using the cockpit's point of view to help you steer, not the main screen's point of view.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Motto posted:

I thought the complaints were odd since Nintendo had already nailed gyro aiming in a number of 3DS and WiiU games.

Well even beyond that you don't need to use them all the time. You can spend a good chunk of time playing it like traditional Star Fox and it's actually pretty easy to eyeball the accuracy so you don't even need to constantly look down at the control pad for precision aiming. I think the poster above is right and people may be over-using it and not realizing it's not a requirement.

Edit: That said, the Gyrowing so far is the weak point of the game to me, not because it's uncontrollable but because it's way more boring.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 23, 2016

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

the only time you have to look at the gamepad is when using lock on mode or aiming with the gyrocopter in general

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

The motion controls and cockpit view are not only great, they actually fix a problem that was quite common in SF64. Remember all those all-range mode bosses where you had to fly straight at the target to shoot it, then veer away and waste a bunch of time flying as far from the boss as you could before turning around and coming back for another pass? Yeah not this time, now you can just fly circles around it while blasting it the whole time. Having to split your attention between the TV for dodging stuff and the gamepad for aiming your shots just makes it more exciting. This is cool.

I just fought the StarWolf team at Sector β and holy poo poo that was chaotic. I need some more practice at dogfighting before I can take them down fast enough for full points.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
I didn't use motion for Splatoon but I'm surprised how well I took to Star Fox. I think the biggest thing I need to get used to is the right stick for sharp turns and rolls.

Almost through my first playthrough and it's been awesome so far.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

quote:

Some guy on polygon actively refused to review it because of the "misery" it caused him.

Sometimes this poo poo just gets stupid.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Yeah the one thing bugging me is that having tilt/barrel roll on the right stick feels weird. I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually but I have been taking more damage than I should because the roll isn't instinctive yet

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

SeANMcBAY posted:

Apparently you can unlock the black and retro arwings without the amiibos so that's cool.

how so ? spoilers if need be, i dont want to buy amiibo

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

bef posted:

how so ? spoilers if need be, i dont want to buy amiibo

All medals.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There's also a unique vehicle you can unlock that's only playable in training mode that I wish was in the main game: the Direct-i in a little moon rover buggy thing

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

After playing so much Splatoon, the gryo controls in this came very easily to me. Only thing I have trouble with is the target mode, but I'm probably not doing it right.

I should be looking at the gamepad for that, shouldn't I? I figured...

Randumb Thots
Apr 5, 2015
game awesome. so what

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

That's what I was missing too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

After playing so much Splatoon, the gryo controls in this came very easily to me. Only thing I have trouble with is the target mode, but I'm probably not doing it right.

Generally yeah, look at the gamepad for that.

One thing I've noticed watching people stream:

Holy poo poo people, you do not need to use target mode *constantly.* Especially with Star Wolf fights and such it actually is better to use it only to quickly lock on and then drop it. It's not great for dogfighting on its own.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Suaimhneas posted:

The motion controls and cockpit view are not only great, they actually fix a problem that was quite common in SF64. Remember all those all-range mode bosses where you had to fly straight at the target to shoot it, then veer away and waste a bunch of time flying as far from the boss as you could before turning around and coming back for another pass? Yeah not this time, now you can just fly circles around it while blasting it the whole time. Having to split your attention between the TV for dodging stuff and the gamepad for aiming your shots just makes it more exciting. This is cool.

I just fought the StarWolf team at Sector β and holy poo poo that was chaotic. I need some more practice at dogfighting before I can take them down fast enough for full points.

Trying to fly circles around a boss while using the cockpit view to aim inward is a loving nightmare in this game

I wonder how many people defending the controls have done the Corneria secret boss or the land master in the desert boss. I liked them a lot until then.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AdmiralViscen posted:

Trying to fly circles around a boss while using the cockpit view to aim inward is a loving nightmare in this game

I wonder how many people defending the controls have done the Corneria secret boss or the land master in the desert boss. I liked them a lot until then.

I have? I literally can't figure out what your problem is with the Corneria secret boss. I gold-ranked it my first try. It's incredibly easy. The landmaster boss too for that matter.

Like it's literally "fly in a circle around it, aim to the side, shoot the vulnerable points, ???, profit!"

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Yeah the controls are this are actually bad. I'm frequently fighting them to get anything done and it's a lot more frustrating then anything else.

Like I used motion controls in splatoon but this is a whole different beast. I feel that it would be a billion times better without them. Went in with a open mind and really let down because the game itself seems fun but it's way too overwhelming.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They're actually good. I win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

nu uh x Infinity

you can't beat that

• Locked thread