Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

quote:

Political infighting within Apple’s engineering ranks is holding back the company’s efforts to fix technical problems that have plagued iCloud and iTunes, say people with direct knowledge of the situation.

Two engineering teams working on new internal cloud-computing infrastructure to power Apple’s Web services are in open conflict, the people say. Already, the infighting has sparked at least one key employee departure, with more expected soon.

Steve D’Aurora, an engineering manager in a team led by Patrick Gates, resigned last week. That’s raised the possibility that Mr. D’Aurora’s superior, Darren Haas, a “head of cloud engineering,” would leave as well. Both Mr. D’Aurora and Mr. Haas joined Apple through its 2010 acquisition of Siri, the voice-activated assistant on the iPhone.

The new infrastructure is meant to help improve the reliability of iCloud and Apple’s other apps. The infrastructure work has taken on added significance this year. Apple CEO Tim Cook has publicly played up the company’s intention to generate more Internet-services revenue from existing iPhone owners, including from the App Store and things like Apple Music.
The engineering conflict, which has delayed development of the new infrastructure, stems from Apple’s decision last year to extend the cloud-computing platform that powers Siri, and which is run by Mr. Gates’s group, to other Apple services including iTunes, iMessage and iCloud. That threatened an engineering group overseen by Eric Billingsley which currently runs iCloud and many of the other Apple Internet services. (Apple pays other companies such as Amazon and Microsoft to power parts of iCloud.)

The new assignment for Mr. Gates’s team, which has a couple hundred people, raised the possibility that some of Mr. Billingsley’s group, which has more than 1,000 people, would become unnecessary. “When Patrick is successful, Eric doesn’t have a job,” says one person.

Still, Mr. Gates has a tough task, given the small size of Siri compared to the rest of Apple’s Web services. And while the two engineering groups are meant to work together, that coordination has devolved into a “political quagmire” with countless planning meetings and “Lots of, ‘I do my thing better than your thing,’” says one person familiar with the issues. (Messrs. Gates and Billingsley report to Patrice Gautier, a vice president of engineering who reports to senior vice president Eddy Cue.)

The same person said “philosophical differences” have applied to everything from how to build new tools for the platform to things like “continuous integration” and “continuous delivery,” known as CICD, or the process for updating code in the apps. That person emphasized that, despite the conflicts, there are “well-meaning intentions” on both sides.
Another stumbling block: agreeing on what type of software “containers” Apple will use to make it easier to scale its apps and make fast changes to them, says one person. Container software makes it easier for companies to build applications at large scale and to change the apps quickly.

By later this year, the platform is supposed to be in an “operational state” and, hopefully, in good enough shape to power some components of services like Game Center, CloudKit or Apple Maps. The entire process, which began last year, was supposed to take at least until mid-2017.

Meanwhile, Messrs. Gates and Billingsley are working on different aspects of separate initiative, called Project McQueen, to build a private cloud infrastructure for iCloud, the largest and most resource-intensive service run by Apple. That project, which is akin to developing a smaller version of Amazon Web Services that’s exclusively for Apple’s use, has long been a headache for the company, as The Information previously reported.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

guy in charge of company apple acquires quits after his lock outs expire and is assigned a hard but boring task

shocking

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Not 5 years post Jobs and Apple has become Microsoft

Hemick
Mar 4, 2007
the circle of life in silicon valley begins anew!

really hoping we get to see Big Tim go MobileMe on these fuckos.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I used to buy loads of apps for my iPhone and iPad but I can't remember the last time I did now it must have been months hell I don't even get free ones what happened did all the good apps already come out and people have run out of ideas? or have I just got bored of apps?

idk whenever i look at the App Store top charts it always seems to be literally the same apps every single god drat time

Hemick
Mar 4, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

idk whenever i look at the App Store top charts it always seems to be literally the same apps every single god drat time

1. look at the top grossing chart on the weekly
2. proportionally buy/sell stock in each developer or their parent company
3. ???
4. afford that sweet sweet 64gb SIM free RG stebe edition

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
there's only so many fart soundboards you really need

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i downloaded a new app last week for the first time in a long while

it was a rasta horn app

it was free, no ads

it was to honk at the cat

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ham-horn/id662321161?mt=8

i don't know what the ham thing is

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Pissflaps posted:

I used to buy loads of apps for my iPhone and iPad but I can't remember the last time I did now it must have been months hell I don't even get free ones what happened did all the good apps already come out and people have run out of ideas? or have I just got bored of apps?

there were one or 2 good apps that everyone bought and then the rest were all wrappers around web sites because safari cant handle them

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
it's 2016 what are we really going to do with phones any more

dark sky, some chat stuff, email, phone, music, imessage

what else is there?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

bideo shames

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
It's good someone reset that markov bot that kept asking amethyst where he worked over and over, hate when they get stuck like that

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

hobbesmaster posted:

bideo shames

maybe if you're a kid? idk

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
shitter games are great but the last good one was wheres my water

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dislike button posted:

It's good someone reset that markov bot that kept asking amethyst where he worked over and over, hate when they get stuck like that

the login is in github. you could've fixed it yourself if you wanted to

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

uncurable mlady posted:

or want to remember being a kid

https://appsto.re/us/T1QV2.i

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Cardboard Box A posted:

Not 5 years post Jobs and Apple has become Microsoft

a robust, mature company that now focuses on their enterprise customers in addition to commodity computing users???

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

uncurable mlady posted:

:iamafag:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
angry birds 2 is out, friends

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

graph posted:

angry birds 2 is out, friends
i am so hyped for angry birds the movie (coming may 20!)

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

quote:

An Apple spokeswoman said the company "hoped to make books and movies available again to our customers in China as soon as possible." The store closures come six months after they were launched alongside Apple Music in the country.

Compared to other tech companies, Apple has had success in launching new ventures in the China. Most recently, Apple launched Apple Pay in the country in partnership with UnionPay, China's state-run interbank network.

After the shutdown of the two stores, China's President Xi Jinping conducted a meeting on China's restrictive internet policies with Alibaba's Jack Ma, Huawei's Ren Zhengfei and other tech leaders in the country, according to The NYT. Daniel H. Rosen, a founding partner at Rhodium Group, a firm that specializes in the Chinese economy, tells The New York Times that China has an interest in promoting Chinese tech companies while attempting to reduce the impact of foreign tech giants like Apple in the country.

Apple is one of eight companies that China has targeted for being "too deeply established in the country's core industries" according to The New York Times. Other companies on China's list include IBM, Qualcomm and Microsoft. Earlier today it was reported that local Chinese handset makers like Huawei faced inventory losses and squeezed market share following the launch of the iPhone SE.

Apple has worked to grow its business in China, now its second biggest market, spending several years in negotiations with China Mobile, the country's largest carrier, to bring the iPhone to its 700 million customers. The two agreed to a deal in 2013. Tim Cook has also made several visits to the country, with Apple also planning to expand its retail efforts.

Last November, when asked whether Apple had run into censorship problems in China, Eddy Cue said that the company had a "great working relationship" with China and that the launch of Apple Music and the iTunes Movies and iBooks stores showed that Apple knew how to work in the country.

4/22 update: The Hong Kong-based South China Morning Post has linked the store closures to the release of controversial independent movie Ten Years, which won best picture prize at this month’s Hong Kong Film Awards, despite being banned in China. News of the store closures broke shortly before the movie became available on iTunes in Hong Kong. The dystopian film imagines Hong Kong in 2025 with language police, mini Red Guards, radical protest and social alienation rife.

wonder if they will cave or just say screw it. I'm guessing they don't get much services revenue in China anyway

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

FMguru posted:

i am so hyped for angry birds the movie (coming may 20!)

man that took about 5 years too long to come out

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

man that took about 5 years too long to come out
they really thought they had the next mickey mouse or bugs bunny or pokemon sized franchise on their hands lmao

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
eagerly awaiting the $200 million clash of clans movie in summer 2019

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

FMguru posted:

they really thought they had the next mickey mouse or bugs bunny or pokemon sized franchise on their hands lmao

if you're going by tshirt sales from last summer, they were. dunno if it will hold up this year

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

if China crushes Apple then who are the Chinese companies gonna copy

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

DuckConference posted:

wonder if they will cave or just say screw it. I'm guessing they don't get much services revenue in China anyway

of course they will cave are you nuts. apple will follow the law its not gonna risk its second biggest market to some movie

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
this server stuff is all in the eddy cue org, the same idiots that brought you iTunes, the App Store (until Schiller took it over), podcasts, and the music app. basically take all software away from eddy or just fire him.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

i downloaded a new app last week for the first time in a long while

it was a rasta horn app

it was free, no ads

it was to honk at the cat

gotta be frank with you dude i wouldn't possibly care less and i dont think anyone else on this planet does either

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

FMguru posted:

incredible

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

The Management posted:

this server stuff is all in the eddy cue org, the same idiots that brought you iTunes, the App Store (until Schiller took it over), podcasts, and the music app. basically take all software away from eddy or just fire him.

agreed fire him. his software is bad and his clothes are gross

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Smythe posted:

gotta be frank with you dude i wouldn't possibly care less and i dont think anyone else on this planet does either

later today, i'm going to trade money i've earned for Angry Birds 2.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

graph posted:

later today, i'm going to trade money i've earned for Angry Birds 2.

Game on.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Smythe posted:

it makes other noises

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

The Management posted:

last year i thought

'at least the music app is still ok'

this year

'welp'

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

music.ipa is great though :confused:

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

uncurable mlady posted:

it's 2016 what are we really going to do with phones any more

dark sky, some chat stuff, email, phone, music, imessage

what else is there?

the smartphone fad is reaching its end

it might have become something more if tim had walked in steve's footprints, but i'll be content to go back to a flip phone when the time comes

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
music.ipa seems
fine but Jesus gently caress podcasts.ipa is still horseshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

theultimo posted:

music.ipa seems
fine but Jesus gently caress podcasts.ipa is still horseshit

a while back i opened music and it froze on a splash screen advertisement for apple music subscription and i had to force restart it to get to my actual music. its real bad. google play music is 100x better

• Locked thread