Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

For years I've been confounded by the methodology by which the majority of message-scripters craft their messages. And by "majority" I mean the ones that don't just enter "tongue but hole" "magnificent chest" and "gorgeous view" all over everything.

OK, maybe I'm not talking about the literal "majority." What I'm talking about is players that leave messages like "Illusion ahead, in short try attacking" or "mob enemy ahead therefore time for dashing through." There are perfectly good conjunctions that would make more sense. Notably a simple comma. It's there, right at the bottom, and the conjunction list doesn't even scroll in short try brevity.

And then there's the "Visions of" type messenger. This is inscrutable to me...and it has been going on for several games now. Of course, there are times when these convoluted messages are left to be humorous, but other times I just can't figure out why people would go through such great lengths to make these messages so convoluted.

Could these be messages that are translated from Japanese when left by Japanese players? That would be interesting. Somehow I just think it's just laziness. I take pride in crafting a humorous and/or helpful but well-constructed message. Using the gestures has made this all the more interesting.

I think I might start writing down the messages I read, at least the really poorly constructed ones, for some quantitative analysis. But really I'd just like it if people would visions of ambush left, therefore time for plunging attack!

I intentionally make my messages weird and awkwardly phrased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am

Xenothral posted:

It seems to be pretty easy to just be silly as hell with sorceries in this, as far as fighting bosses goes, especially if you've got the Storyteller's Staff.

Why storyteller's? Isn't the spellbuff on it like half of heretic's?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The actual best message I've seen is in front of an alleyway that it looks like you can fit into but you actually can't. The message was "fatty"

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

cheetah7071 posted:

The actual best message I've seen is in front of an alleyway that it looks like you can fit into but you actually can't. The message was "fatty"

Lol

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
I do miss Hurrah for **** though

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

My most successful message was something like 'take care of elderly' next to the old lady in dark souls 2

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Trying to express complex abstract ideas and crude sexual innuendo in the message system are both beautiful activities that we should all appreciate. Currently I'm disappointed that my attempt to remind people of Dragon Aerie in Archdragon Peak has not been picking up many bites, but at least the old standby "Fine Work" after a hard jump is dispensing a constant flow of heals.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I first saw "fatty" used in front of that corpse that drops green blossoms in lothric and I was very impressed. The creativity of people that leave messages in these games will never cease to amaze.

edit: It was "fatty ahead" specifically, I believe

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Having been invaded several times now, I'm glad I'm not the only person who is garbage at parrying human opponents.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Internet Kraken posted:

Having been invaded several times now, I'm glad I'm not the only person who is garbage at parrying human opponents.

I don't even try.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

praise the soup

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

I miss Amazing Chest Ahead

Sticky White Stuff

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I also liked "Confidence required ahead" in front of one of the female NPCs.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So Ive been running Butcher Knife for a while (it's just so good.) but I wanted to try some other stuff and I am trying the Wolnir Holy Sword.

Is there a stat that increases my swing speed? This thing is crazy slow.
:\

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
My favorite addition is "Could this be _______?" and it's the cause of my most successful messages. The leader of which is "Could this be a dragon?" in front of the head of what is clearly a dragon at the start of the game.

I laughed out loud the first time I saw a "You don't deserve this" when I was expecting yet another "Gorgeous view ahead" but it's since been overused. I did put one next to Anri's laid out corpse though.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
This is harsh, evaluate me.

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

Melanion posted:

Why storyteller's? Isn't the spellbuff on it like half of heretic's?

Not even to cast spells with, literally just for the poison special it has just because it's basically a free spell attunement of poison mist.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

Pablo Gigante posted:

The answer is that you're thinking way harder about this than the people who leave the messages do

I think you're right.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fuligin posted:

Trying to express complex abstract ideas and crude sexual innuendo in the message system are both beautiful activities that we should all appreciate. Currently I'm disappointed that my attempt to remind people of Dragon Aerie in Archdragon Peak has not been picking up many bites, but at least the old standby "Fine Work" after a hard jump is dispensing a constant flow of heals.

My complex messages to point out hidden walls or secret items or mimics barely get any upvotes, but a simple message of "good luck ahead" at the start of farron keep has gotten me like 100+ free heals. :shrug:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Hackan Slash posted:

This is harsh, evaluate me.

Also :rip: "I'm in trouble, please recommend this message!!"

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I like that every dead end in this game has a "Pointless" message right at the end.

Fellatio del Toro fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 22, 2016

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
why can Smaug's greathammer two handed R2 charge be parried

that should go through everything except a roll. pvp sucks

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

DS3 has 'old dear' as one of the message options, and I wonder if that's just a poor translation. 'Old friend' would be a lot less awkward and would have been spammed all over callback NPCs and enemies in this game.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Des still has the best messages

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Also for messages I miss from previous games, BB's "Despicable _____" was the best. So many free heals from:

Despicable bird.

Despicable bird.

Despicable bird, but hound?

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

"Be wary of beanpole"

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
"Need Humanity" was another favorite, because it almost never appeared next to someone's summon sign that left the message.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I lied, this was my favorite message I came across

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

its a mystery to me too but when it happens it fuckin owns
either to me or if i somehow make it happen

the dudes who can parry the astora greatsword charge are my favorite because they've somehow managed to figure it out

also the best messages are the ds2 skeleton ones. ds3 does not have nearly enough silly skeletons in silly places because i haven't seen a single "don't give up, skeleton!"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
"And now the real Dark Souls begins" :getin:

I also threw down a "I failed..." message in front of both Greirat's corpse and the giant blacksmith

pouring out an estus flask for my homies. :rip:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I wonder if I'm overleveled (55) or actually starting to git gud, since I just beat Pontiff Syluvahn on the first try. I did summon a phantom to help me, but I just followed the tips someone gave earlier in this topic. Feels good. But I feel like it's really down to the wire with me: will I make that dodge and get those few hits in I need? Or will some two fukken dogs bite-stun-lock me out of 20k souls?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Someone asked earlier yesterday for a sort of lore/background summary on the first two games and how it might feed into this game. I wrote a summary like this a couple months ago, but I wanted to try and rewrite it now to blow off the last few hours of Friday afternoon at work.

Here you go guy, I tried: http://pastebin.com/c4xMiwmq (it's spoiler-town)

Also don't bully me about my attempted spoiler tag and the way I tried to denote long quotes in the text ok.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Bogart posted:

Here's an idea: we use spoiler tags for everything past Farron Keep. Like this: Yhorm the Giant is easy mode for co-oping.

he's in the intro video so no.

though speaking of spoilers i like how all the messages people left leading up to the final boss spoil who it is.

"visions of you..."

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Harrow posted:

I intentionally make my messages weird and awkwardly phrased.

"Princess ahead but be weary of trap" in a certain zone that's a throwback has gotten me lots of upvotes.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
Just wanted to say that there's only one thing keeping DS3 from being better than DS1.
Well, what is it?
It was missing in Ds2 also and there's never been a good replacement. People have been using the patch squat but teabagging is dumb. I use Welcome to get an approximation, but it's not the same.

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am
If the spider shield says it's good against poison, that means it mitigates damage of poison attacks like slug spit, right? Equipping it doesn't up my poison resist on the stat sheet.

I'm trying to pick an outfit for the Farron swamps. Leaning towards Brigand at present.

Any suggestions toward picking the most resistant pieces for each slot regardless of set shall be scoffed at for their lack of Fashion Souls connaissance.

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

central dogma posted:

Just wanted to say that there's only one thing keeping DS3 from being better than DS1.
Well, what is it?
It was missing in Ds2 also and there's never been a good replacement. People have been using the patch squat but teabagging is dumb. I use Welcome to get an approximation, but it's not the same.

I like using Call Over and Toast. They're not perfect replacements, but I think they get the point across well enough.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Fereydun posted:

its a mystery to me too but when it happens it fuckin owns
either to me or if i somehow make it happen

the dudes who can parry the astora greatsword charge are my favorite because they've somehow managed to figure it out

also the best messages are the ds2 skeleton ones. ds3 does not have nearly enough silly skeletons in silly places because i haven't seen a single "don't give up, skeleton!"

The skeleton in the catacombs with his back turned to you gazing at the bridge is a good place to find/leave inspirational skeleton messages.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
It's probably cowardly of me to black crystal out of an invasion, but the guy I got must be around level 20 and somehow had the Dragonslayer's Swordspear and as soon as he hit an enemy with it, 3 blue sentinels tried to appear to defend him along with the white phantom that was already there.

I don't know if he's hacking to do that bluecop thing, but I didn't want to stick around to see if he added any other unorthodox special effects to his weapon. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Melanion posted:

If the spider shield says it's good against poison, that means it mitigates damage of poison attacks like slug spit, right? Equipping it doesn't up my poison resist on the stat sheet.

I'm trying to pick an outfit for the Farron swamps. Leaning towards Brigand at present.

Any suggestions toward picking the most resistant pieces for each slot regardless of set shall be scoffed at for their lack of Fashion Souls connaissance.

Not sure about the spider shield, it should offer poison resist so that's weird.

Gotta ask though, the art for your avatar looks kinda familiar, is it from Kill Six Billion Demons?

Not exactly souls-related, but I just started reading this webcomic and it loving rules, and it has a very Dark Souls style almost, mixed with a kinda Moebius far-out-psychedelic look. Some of you in this thread would probably love it.

http://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/ksbd-1-9/ ?