Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Grem posted:

Are you comparing cops shot or cop deaths or cops murdered or what? Because I don't think any of those percentages are smaller than civilians killed by cops, even if it is just due to there being so many drat people in the country.

Murders specifically, but even police deaths makes it pretty small. 2015 saw 128 police officers die in total, including things like car crashes, illness, etc. One guy on the list even had his death attributed to a lightning strike from 9 years ago.

Only 39 were murdered by gunshot and there were also 3 assault deaths (one of whom is counted despite being complications from surgery because he fell over and injured his hip during a fight), 6 bomb deaths (special agents killed by a suicide bomber in Afghanistan), 5 deaths during vehicular pursuit (all of which were the officer losing control and crashing) and 8 vehicular assault (predominately drunk drivers or accidents, only 3 of whom were struck by the suspect during a pursuit). So being extremely charitable by also including a suicide bomber in an active war zone, complications due to surgery, and being accidentally run over by drunk drivers, a total of 61 police officers were killed by another person in 2015. According to that same list, the number of police officers killed by accident or illness is 63. The number of accidental deaths is even greater than intentional if you include all accidental or indirect deaths that were lumped in with categories like "struck by vehicle" or "assault".

By comparison, 1207 civilians were killed by police or as a result of police activities in 2015. So just going by the total number of police deaths to the total number of civilian deaths by police activity by any cause, it's an increase of 842.9%. If you only count what that database said were directly or indirectly caused by a civilian (or suicide bomber in a war zone), it's a 1878.6% increase.

chitoryu12 has a new favorite as of 16:37 on Apr 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

Lottery of Babylon posted:

9/10 if a girl says were not loving without you bringing it up, she's thinking about it. All you gotta do is isolate, escalate & beat her

kill all men imo

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

StrangersInTheNight posted:

what? entertainers have always had final say on when and where they perform. someone is honestly advocating for forcing an artist to perform onstage when they don't want to? yes i am sure that will be an amazing performance, that won't seem at all like a man chained to the stage for your amusement like an animal in a zoo.

Also, the baker has never been "forced to bake." They may suffer some kind of downside by refusing to do their job, but there's no laws saying that Mr. X has to be a baker and will be punished if he refuses to be one.

So in the end, this guy is indirectly advocating for slavery-communism.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

chitoryu12 posted:

Also, the baker has never been "forced to bake." They may suffer some kind of downside by refusing to do their job, but there's no laws saying that Mr. X has to be a baker and will be punished if he refuses to be one.

So in the end, this guy is indirectly advocating for slavery-communism.

I bet the root of that bozo's logic is that the baker is now "forced to bake... for the gays".

Somehow you just know that's where this is coming from.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

BigglesSWE posted:

"SWJs these days"

Weren't the pyramids built by skilled workers who were paid good wages for their jobs? I remember reading that somewhere sorta recently.

Also, what'as a SWJ?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Serperoth posted:

Weren't the pyramids built by skilled workers who were paid good wages for their jobs? I remember reading that somewhere sorta recently.

Also, what'as a SWJ?

I think 'slaves' in this context were people who provided seasonal labor for the Pharaohs.

So yeah, it was involuntary, like picking up trash on the highways.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Serperoth posted:

Also, what'as a SWJ?

Social Warrior Justice.

There's some on the Supreme Court!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Krispy Kareem posted:

I think 'slaves' in this context were people who provided seasonal labor for the Pharaohs.

So yeah, it was involuntary, like picking up trash on the highways.

The initial evidence that they weren't slaves was the discovery of their tombs, which included bread and beer for them in the afterlife and were close to the pyramids themselves. This is an indication that they were quite respected for their work, as they were given proper burials close by the Pharaoh's tomb in a method that would be far too honorable for a slave.

They still led a life of hard labor, but that's basically how life was for a lot of people in Ancient Egypt. They were believed to work in 3-month shifts (it took a good 30 years to build one of these things) and were paid in food and housing, which is about as good as your average peasant in ancient times could be expected to be paid.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

There's definitely a lot of manual labor I do for nothing but beer and food so I can see stacking rocks in Egypt being about par for the course for my life. Minus computers, but I imagine still with weed.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Exodus describes the Hebrew slaves making bricks, and people just assume it was the pyramids or some other huge monument. The pyramids were made of limestone, while the bricks the Hebrews made were fired clay bricks used for more mundane buildings.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

This guy is an entertainer who doesn't want to perform for Republicans.

It's not even that, though, is it? No matter where he plays a Republican can still buy a ticket to the show. Playing at the convention could be seen as an endorsement, so he's going elsewhere.

For the IOSM's analogy to work a baker would have to be considering opening a store up at X location, then change his mind--only to be forced to go through with it. Or something like that.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Aliens made the pyramids anyways

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Fried Watermelon posted:

Their are a a stargate!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

artsy fartsy posted:

It's not even that, though, is it? No matter where he plays a Republican can still buy a ticket to the show. Playing at the convention could be seen as an endorsement, so he's going elsewhere.

For the IOSM's analogy to work a baker would have to be considering opening a store up at X location, then change his mind--only to be forced to go through with it. Or something like that.

I think a closer one would be getting invited to do and event, like a competition or an on-site sales thing at a fun day. You're told that the event is being put on for the benefit of Whateversborough Parks Department or something, and you agree. Then you find out that that thing is being primary sponsored by the Aryan Youth of America or something, and back out from association with them. Any one of those people can come in to your shop on any day and buy a cake for whatever reason, but you don't have to attend an event that might publicly tie them to you. You can't stop people from buying and using a thing, but you can stop them from letting them know it's yours. It's why they tear labels off of water bottles for televised events where they're not sponsored.

I know musicians can stop groups from using their recording of a song for support events, but can they also stop people at these events from covering them?

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
It's also weird to make all these comparisons to that latest bakery case, because I'm pretty sure the main reason those people had to pay out was because they started releasing a bunch of personal info about the gay couple online once the initial suit was filed.

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Dr Christmas posted:

Exodus describes the Hebrew slaves making bricks, and people just assume it was the pyramids or some other huge monument. The pyramids were made of limestone, while the bricks the Hebrews made were fired clay bricks used for more mundane buildings.

And outside of the Bible and the Torah, there is zero actual evidence of Hewbrew slaves in Egypt.

Looks like someone forgot Minions were the cartoon of choice to voice bigoted opinions now. When confronted on what exactly "catering" means, the poster will respond with "Well, there are halal butchers around! Foot washing sinks! Sharia law! Obama! Ground Zero Mosque!" and other talking points.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Fried Watermelon posted:

Every civilization needs grain silos!

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Picnic Princess posted:

Every civilization needs grain silos!

My cousin is bitching about the new $20 bill.
him: i'll only use $1's, $5's and $10's from now on.
me: send me all of your $20's and I'll get rid of them for you.
him: i only use a debit card.
me: oh well this seems pretty silly then doesn't it.

Wtf you damned idiot.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The $20 dollar bill has changed a lot. Before Andrew Jackson, it had Grover Cleveland. And before the Federal Reserve, they had Alexander Hamilton, James Garfield, Pocahontas, and a couple others.

And yet, for some reason, only Harriet Tubman is causing a stir. I wonder why that is?

Hatrocious
Jan 1, 2013

Saw this in my news feed, gave it a like. Luckily, one of my (female) flatmates was kind enough to show me the error of my ways:

She's red, I'm blue

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Dr Christmas posted:

The $20 dollar bill has changed a lot. Before Andrew Jackson, it had Grover Cleveland. And before the Federal Reserve, they had Alexander Hamilton, James Garfield, Pocahontas, and a couple others.

And yet, for some reason, only Harriet Tubman is causing a stir. I wonder why that is?

Also hilarious, Jackson hated the idea of the reserve and even warned against paper money on his exit speech. :v:

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Hatrocious posted:

Saw this in my news feed, gave it a like. Luckily, one of my (female) flatmates was kind enough to show me the error of my ways:

One of my friends shared this and I went to the original to check the comments. Mostly either "oh so I guess trying to make conversation with a female is the same as rape!!!" or "if men didn't pester women, my [parents] [spouse and I] would have never met!"

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Dr Christmas posted:

Because nobody who's using the internet now was alive to be offended by those changes duh :newlol:

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Hatrocious posted:

She's not entirely wrong. If a man on the bus was wearing a dress because it's spring, he'd probably get harassed.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Dr Christmas posted:

Duh, because she was a traitor. She betrayed her country at a critical moment hey wait where are you going

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Dr Christmas posted:

NO FAT CHICKS

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Why not just have multiple people on bills?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

(Public post without comments enabled)

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
I must not understand what goes on in women restrooms. I always thought there would be stalls but apparently they all sit in a circle staring at each other's genitals.

Weird.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

belt posted:

I must not understand what goes on in women restaurants. I always thought there would be stalls but apparently they all sit in a circle staring at each other's genitals.

Weird.

Hey I'm just glad he apparently has no problem with transgender men using the bathroom with him and his nephew. :patriot:

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

His tone seems so hateful but what he's saying actually sounds kind of supportive of trans men.

belt posted:

I must not understand what goes on in women restrooms. I always thought there would be stalls but apparently they all sit in a circle staring at each other's genitals.

Weird.

Why else do you think we always go to the bathroom in a group?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I was curious about his claim about San Francisco. It's mostly true. The mayor specifically banned publicly-funded non-essential travel. So city government employees aren't allowed to use government money to fund road trips to North Carolina; they can only use it to fund trips that are essential to public health and safety. The way the headline is worded (and we all know most people complaining have probably only read the headline), it makes it sound like the city is straight up barring its employees from setting foot in the state. They're just not allowed to use taxpayer money to pay for their vacation.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

chitoryu12 posted:

I was curious about his claim about San Francisco. It's mostly true. The mayor specifically banned publicly-funded non-essential travel. So city government employees aren't allowed to use government money to fund road trips to North Carolina; they can only use it to fund trips that are essential to public health and safety. The way the headline is worded (and we all know most people complaining have probably only read the headline), it makes it sound like the city is straight up barring its employees from setting foot in the state. They're just not allowed to use taxpayer money to pay for their vacation.

thanks fishmech

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

belt posted:

Weird.

We had this conversation at work today because the men were complaining how if they accidentally walked into a girls restroom, they would get yelled at but the opposite wasn't true. I disagree. The only people yelling are men. Every time I have seen a guy come into the ladies, he has yelled "I'm sorry!!!" and run out. Every time a man has caught me in the men's restroom (because the ladies was crowded or closed for cleaning or because I don't give a poo poo ((not literally)) if it's a private one-toilet room) I have been chastised.

I asked the men at work today what the hell they thought goes on in there. They had no clue that there were nothing but stalls in women's restrooms. They thought women changed their pads and tampons in the open. They thought (hoped) we walked around in there naked.

(Okay, a couple of the guys knew better, and these happened to be the guys that had no problems with trans people using bathrooms.)

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

belt posted:

Weird.

This is why the protests make no sense to me. Women don't use urinals that are just out there and everyone can see their junk. We use stalls. You don't see anything anyway. I would never know if the person next to me was trans.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

So they were allowed to use public funds for vacations? What?

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

oldpainless posted:

Why not just have multiple people on bills?

I nominate the Wu-Tang clan. Let's make it happen people!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Bonster posted:

This is why the protests make no sense to me. Women don't use urinals that are just out there and everyone can see their junk. We use stalls. You don't see anything anyway. I would never know if the person next to me was trans.

The protesters think trans people are disgusting. Makes perfect sense to me.