Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hatrocious
Jan 1, 2013

Chokes McGee posted:

Pretty sure Sarah and 1950s nurse had a conversation entirely based on wanting to bang each other without coming right out and saying it.

Does that count? :v:

Fair enough. Even so, Hawkgirl is really being put to waste here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

ApeHawk posted:

Look, I just want them to stop spending every scene with Hawk Girl focusing on her love life and more time getting her her trademark mace and smacking fools with it.

Is that too much to ask? She has other things in her life besides being an ex-barista and having a lover, right? Right?

have you seen the trailer for the next ep? :dance:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

bring back old gbs posted:

Uh...what?? Is this real?
Are you kidding? Did you really miss out on wonderful episodes where Bruce "The Chin" Campbell is a smarmy ginger EP, Iolaus is a drunk hack writer, and Aries is a biker lunk?

S4E15: Yes Virginia, There Is A Hercules
(rushed into production when Sorbo got sick and couldn't be on set)
S5E9: For Those Of You Just Joining Us

Though I can't find S4E15 on Netflix for some reason.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Chokes McGee posted:

Time travel is dumb and we need to accept that. By extension time travelers are dumb, as evidenced by Mick being the most responsible and educated one of the group.

Once you can get over that hump, this show becomes a whole lot of fun. :)

Mick chiming in with expository lines in his grumbly thug voice whenever something new comes up will never not get old.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
No one's going to mention that Rip's real name is Michael?

Michael... Jon... Carter?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Mortanis posted:

That probably just means that Booster is his son. I think they did that in the comics.

Not that they'll ever get to use Booster.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Mortanis posted:

I'm assuming he's Michael jr.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
But seriously the writers for the Arrowverse need to stay the gently caress away from time travel, it just seems to break them. If they want a show involving it, just do it Doctor Who style, each episode they travel to some new time period, save the day, rinse and repeat.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Codependent Poster posted:

That probably just means that Booster is his son. I think they did that in the comics.

Not that they'll ever get to use Booster.
Other way around - Rip is Booster's son.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Just make season 2 a Booster Gold show.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice

nooneofconsequence posted:

Just make season 2 a Booster Gold Blue and Gold show.

Fixed

Titan
Jan 14, 2002
Dominic Purcell is killing it. His personality changing from how he was pre Chronos to post Chronos has been really well done.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Kid Rip coldly shanking The Pilgrim saved this episode from being silly. Also Detective Lances Hair.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Goddammit show I should not care about Jax why are you making me genuinely care about Jax.

I'm so glad he got to actually tell his dad about his death so maybe he'll survive, I was really dreading the "no the timeline's set you shouldn't change it" explanation for Jax not doing anything. You'd think Ray would do the same for his fiancee, but I guess he's got a new one now so who cares!

Also Dominic Purcell's face at his younger self telling him he's acting like his dad was gold. If I wasn't too cheap to buy myself an avatar, and knew how to make animated images, I'd take that. Because that face said far more than any words could say, even from his amazing voice.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I feel like this situation with Jax and his dad was the first instance on the show where I was actually, like, "Yes, change the past buddy. Do it. Just doooo iiiiiiit" and then he did it and I was like "Aww yea good job." I would've thought less of of the character if they'd pulled out some tedious "But the repercussions to the timeline!! Just leave your parent to die!" speechifying. Lookin' at you, Flash s1.

Come to think of it though...shouldn't the Waverider be able to fix Jax's foot injury?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Jax is a natural athlete with an absent father.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Legends of Tomorrow writer's room:

Writer 1: "So his name's Jefferson Jackson."

Writer 2: "Hm. Can we change that?"

Writer 1: "Nope, it's in the comics."

Writer 2: "Okay... fine. Sure. What else?"

Writer 1: "He's a naturally gifted athlete. We're gonna really emphasize this."

Writer 2: "I don't know if uh..."

Writer 1: "And he grew up without a dad!"

Writer 2: "Um."

Writer 1: "Because his dad was a soldier who died."

Writer 2: "Oh thank god."

Writer 1: "Don't worry, though. Just because he's a naturally gifted athlete who's also a car mechanic, that doesn't mean his more... physical intelligence will hold the team back. You know. His kinesthetic learning style."

Writer 2: "Please don't tell me why, I don't want to--"

Writer 1: "There's a white guy who lives in his head and makes his decisions for him! And the white guy is the brilliant scientist of the pair, while Jefferson Jackson, the black man whose dad wasn't around and is a naturally gifted athlete, is the physical-- hey! Where are you going?"

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I still say Stein should be the active partner in the Firestorm Matrix, I wanna see Victor Garber in shiny leather doing wirework and throwing CG fireballs.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

McSpanky posted:

I still say Stein should be the active partner in the Firestorm Matrix, I wanna see Victor Garber in shiny leather doing wirework and throwing CG fireballs.
I think he prefers wool.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I was going to suggest they do a Titanic episode, but Victor Garber wants no part of that.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Yeah, but for the really good reason of "we should keep doing new poo poo instead of rehashing old poo poo" more or less. Which is great.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Hatrocious posted:

Fair enough. Even so, Hawkgirl is really being put to waste here

The biggest issue is that the DCAU did Hawkgirl probably the best out of anything ever, and as a result, anything less than that is going to be a real disappointment. (though it's not like the show's doing anything for non-comic fans either)

As a side note, DCAU made Hawkgirl rule by basically putting Carter in Savage's current role, spending a grand total of one episode on him before moving on and never mentioning him again, and going with her alien soldier origin. So basically the exact opposite of everything the show is doing. :v:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mortanis posted:

Yeah, but for the really good reason of "we should keep doing new poo poo instead of rehashing old poo poo" more or less. Which is great.

They should go back to the Titanic and run into the Time Tunnel guys, Balthazar from Supernatural, the dwarves from Time Bandits and everyone else who's ever visited the ship in a time travel plot.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Goddammit show I should not care about Jax why are you making me genuinely care about Jax.

I'm so glad he got to actually tell his dad about his death so maybe he'll survive, I was really dreading the "no the timeline's set you shouldn't change it" explanation for Jax not doing anything. You'd think Ray would do the same for his fiancee, but I guess he's got a new one now so who cares!
I imagine Rip would stop Ray from trying to save his fiance anyway since that would probably dramatically change the timeline seeing as how her death is what motivates Ray to become The ATOM. Its reasonable to assume that Jax could grow up with a dad and still blow out his knee and be approached by Team Flash to become Firestorm so there's no major changes to the timeline.

Chokes McGee posted:

The biggest issue is that the DCAU did Hawkgirl probably the best out of anything ever, and as a result, anything less than that is going to be a real disappointment. (though it's not like the show's doing anything for non-comic fans either)

As a side note, DCAU made Hawkgirl rule by basically putting Carter in Savage's current role, spending a grand total of one episode on him before moving on and never mentioning him again, and going with her alien soldier origin. So basically the exact opposite of everything the show is doing. :v:

I mean, DCAU Hawkgirl and CWU Hawkgirl are literally different characters. Or at least different reincarnations. DCAU's is Shayera, an alien warrior, while CWU Hawkgirl is Kendra, a young woman struggling with the idea of reincarnation and kind of sketched out by some dude saying she's destined to be with him. They're just totally different characters from the comics.

In the end I think they bobbled Kendra a bit by putting her with Carter so quickly and then when he was gone jumping her into the relationship with Ray. Doing it in the opposite direction with having her start a relationship with Ray while Carter is standing on the sidelines being creepy might have been more compelling and given Kendra more room to grow as she takes a stand against the idea that her life is controlled by fate. But it also would have meant more Carter.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
The complaints I had about them just beating Savage into submission and leaving him on the floor for no reason and running away were multiplied by this episode.

The Pilgrim kept getting comically swatted away.

Ray shoots her. They all run away.
Someone kicks her. They all run away.
Rip shoots her, they all run away.

It was getting more and more absurd each time. Why shoot her and then just run away completely? You had her like 3-4 different times but it just kept jump cutting straight to the ship about how they are having trouble finding her this time. It was like Team Rocket from Pokemon or something except now they come right back over and over.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Fat Shat Sings posted:

The complaints I had about them just beating Savage into submission and leaving him on the floor for no reason and running away were multiplied by this episode.

It was getting more and more absurd each time. Why shoot her and then just run away completely? You had her like 3-4 different times but it just kept jump cutting straight to the ship about how they are having trouble finding her this time. It was like Team Rocket from Pokemon or something except now they come right back over and over.

They were getting the targets to safety.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Running away is reasonable when facing an adversary with unknown capabilities. Even if you manage to knock them down, you have no idea how long they will be incapacitated.

We saw what happened when Firestorm decided to go in for the rescue at Ray's lab: he got roflpwned. And then every other time they fought her, it was only a few of them vs. her. Waiting until the whole team was assembled before facing her was the smart thing to do.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

enraged_camel posted:

Running away is reasonable when facing an adversary with unknown capabilities. Even if you manage to knock them down, you have no idea how long they will be incapacitated.

We saw what happened when Firestorm decided to go in for the rescue at Ray's lab: he got roflpwned. And then every other time they fought her, it was only a few of them vs. her. Waiting until the whole team was assembled before facing her was the smart thing to do.

Rory and Rip both know exactly who this is and have worked with her extensively and know exactly what she can do. They clown her so easily multiple times in a row there is zero reason to constantly just walk away and then wait for the villain to progress the plot.

She seems to be able to slow time and shoot a gun and that's it.

bobkatt013 posted:

They were getting the targets to safety.

Yeah which one person can do. There are seven of these assholes remember?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Anyway, what's super amusing about this whole thing is that everyone was super excited for this show when it was announced, even though it was obvious that it was gonna suck big time. Now that it is sucking big time, a lot of people sound... disappointed.

My only gripe is that they ripped (heh) some of the good characters from other shows and brought them together in this lovely show. Snart was a great Flash villain, and Sarah was pretty fun in Arrow.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I think this show is fun and silly, and generally more fun than The Flash, and considerably more fun than Arrow, which I have pretty much given up on at this point.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

They're all bad shows and you're a bad person if you watch all of them. (I watch all of them.)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

nooneofconsequence posted:

They're all bad shows and you're a bad person if you watch all of them. (I watch all of them.)

Same. :smith:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

Waiting until everyone they cared for was held hostage so that the whole team was assembled before facing her was the smart thing stupid as hell to do.

Ftfy.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I've avoided Arrow because I'm not that into Batman, and they seem to really want to do Batman.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

I've avoided Arrow because I'm not that into Batman, and they seem to really want to do Batman.

Green Arrow's always been Batman by way of Robin Hood.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

McSpanky posted:

Green Arrow's always been Batman by way of Robin Hood.
Yes, but this specific Arrow seems to be extremely Batman, including pulling in a major Batman villain as one of its main villains. I've always preferred the JLU Arrow, and also the JLU everything else.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

FactsAreUseless posted:

That was only season 1, kinda season 2. Then season 3 happened and that was the end of that.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Pretty sure the Time Mastahs are swole enough to have plucked the Pilgrim away at the last possible moment and substituted a pile of cigarette ash or cat fur along with her gun to throw the team off track. That's what comic book Rip did to save comic book Booster's sister anyway.

If she's important enough to them to let her gently caress with time any way she wants, you know, you try to keep your best assets in breathing condition.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Goddammit, Carter's coming back in the next episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Binary Badger posted:

If she's important enough to them to let her gently caress with time any way she wants, you know, you try to keep your best assets in breathing condition.

Except for Paintballcrew™ who were apparently completely dispensable.

• Locked thread