Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

DJExile posted:

Yeah crop that to the 3 players and the ball, but that's a very good shot.

Thank you guys. The tighter crop definitely intensifies the scene. Thoughts?

Untitled by Ryan Sees What, on Flickr

Apologies for cluttering the thread with all my updates. I promise, this is the last photo from this set I'll post directly in here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Far far better. Don't worry about taking generous crops.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I can't stop staring at #6, who's doing the "i'm a teapot" song.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

xzzy posted:

I can't stop staring at #6, who's doing the "i'm a teapot" song.

Heh. I find myself sort of flabbergasted how both of her feet aren't even touching the ground. She's gliding or something.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
I've been busy with softball and baseball mostly, and then had my first track & field meet. I had fun!

2016-04-19_recent-sports_0002 by Nicholas Kneer, on Flickr

2016-04-19_recent-sports_0003 by Nicholas Kneer, on Flickr

2016-04-18_recent-sports_0014 by Nicholas Kneer, on Flickr

2016-04-18_recent-sports_0013 by Nicholas Kneer, on Flickr

2016-04-18_recent-sports_0012 by Nicholas Kneer, on Flickr

2016-04-14_recent-sports_0009 by Nicholas Kneer, on Flickr

2016-04-14_recent-sports_0007 by Nicholas Kneer, on Flickr

2016-04-14_recent-sports_0006 by Nicholas Kneer, on Flickr

2016-04-14_recent-sports_0010 by Nicholas Kneer, on Flickr

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Man am I a huge sucker for shots like this and this fits my bill perfectly.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ha yeah that whole post is good as a 'Newbs eat my dust' example. How you got that ball in focus between pitcher and catcher both out of focus is... Goddamn.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

those track pictures own a ton, drat. So does the kid in the dust cloud

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ha yeah that whole post is good as a 'Newbs eat my dust' example. How you got that ball in focus between pitcher and catcher both out of focus is... Goddamn.

I believe the trick to this is pre-focusing to a distance between both and praying your burst mode/motor drive takes one just as the ball finds that area. It's tricky but yeah it owns super drat hard if you can get it.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

drat. Those are all rad, but I especially like 7, 12, 2, and 13. 13 seems like an homage to Icarus.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I really, really like the second last one.

40ozOE
Aug 26, 2004

Bedridden I know more than you.

dakana posted:

I've been busy with softball and baseball mostly, and then had my first track & field meet. I had fun!

2016-04-14_recent-sports_0007 by Nicholas Kneer, on Flickr

All of these shots are nice. I've shot about eight or ten softball games this season and now I can appreciate how difficult it can be to get a great action shot of the infield. You can shoot the stationary batter and pitcher all day but a dramatic diving catch only happens sporadically.

And this, shots dead on behind the batter - I've heard people complain that these shots are cliche, but it's definitely difficult to capture that. To get a good one like yours, you have to be sitting at just the right angle and just the right level to get a good one. During the course of the game it never occurs to me to go over to leave the dugout and sit behind home plate to get one of these shots.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Whoa, thanks guys. So, a bit of backstory: I'm shooting high school sports on the side with an outlet called Varsity Views. Basically, they send photographers to games, pay them $35/game, and expect ~200 unedited JPGs from at least half the game, to be uploaded the same day. The standards aren't super high, obviously, to reach that ~200 number -- their business model is more views = more ad revenue (among other things -- they're exploring having boosters or parent groups pay for "premium coverage", licensing photos to other outlets, etc. They're also branching out into journalism, it seems.), so they're looking for somewhat saturation coverage. Peek into an album to see what I mean. Basically, it means I'll take and include shots I probably wouldn't usually take -- warm-ups, every batter, ready stances, etc -- because honestly the goal is to give kids photos that they can share to Facebook. So it's not exactly high, pure photojournalism, but they make it worth my time to have fun shooting sports. And, I make my own schedule -- they have a shiftboard website where you sign up for games whenever you want, basically. I usually do 2-3 evenings a week because I work full-time. And, of course, it doesn't stop me from going for photos that I want to take.
If it sounds like something any of you would be interested in, check out the website, see what cities they're in, and let me know. I think I get like $50 if I refer someone, so that'd be rad.

Frinkahedron posted:

Man am I a huge sucker for shots like this and this fits my bill perfectly.

A guy I know is the main multimedia person for The American Legion, so I think I'm probably affected by him. :911:

I'm still waiting for this field to be lit right so I can incorporate some of the silhouettes of Kings Island, which is visible from the field. It's been lovely light for that angle so far, though. Some day...

EL BROMANCE posted:

I was very lucky to get involved with a student newspaper in college that got me on the field and court for 4 years -- that gave me a bunch of really cool experiences.

DJExile posted:

I believe the trick to this is pre-focusing to a distance between both and praying your burst mode/motor drive takes one just as the ball finds that area. It's tricky but yeah it owns super drat hard if you can get it.

That's pretty much it, yeah! I just manually focused on a spot in between the pitcher & batter (and this is with a 70-200 with a 2x on it, so 400mm, wide open at 5.6) and BURST MODE BEST MODE after the release and prayed. It took 4-5 pitches to get it, and it definitely could be better. It's a fun one to take!

40ozOE posted:

All of these shots are nice. I've shot about eight or ten softball games this season and now I can appreciate how difficult it can be to get a great action shot of the infield. You can shoot the stationary batter and pitcher all day but a dramatic diving catch only happens sporadically.

Thanks dude! I've really been working on those infield shots. I've got a buddy at the Cincinnati Enquirer shooting dynamite stuff of Reds games and have been inspired lately. Since I'm shooting for a decent volume, though, I've until recently been able to just sit on the shortstop or 3rd baseman waiting for a line drive or grounder at them. I solved this particular issue by setting up a remote camera on the batter (6d with my 85mm) and triggering it with my left hand (I've figured out a way to hold it in my palm and press the trigger with my pinky in a way that leaves my other fingers free for the zoom ring) so that I can shoot the at-bats while set up on the infielders. I was really happy with that diving photo -- it's the first one I've gotten so far. Maybe one day I'll get one that's an actual catch :v:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That manual focus technique sounds like fun! I'm going to the Panthers playoff with my camera tonight as planned after the team gave me the OK and going to a minor league baseball game on Sunday. My first ever live game and so obviously first I'll ever try photographing too. The plus point is my friends son is throwing the first pitch, so I'll try get a good vantage point for that.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Awesome pics. Also that website sounds legit and is something I might dive into. There's a middle school near me, and elementary, but I don't know about high schools. It's something I've been looking to do and get some beer money without having to wear a vest advertising photographs. Cause that dude always gets looked at weird and never gets business.

Let me see what my schedule is, and more importantly if there are any sports near me and I'll use your referral code thing so you can get money.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Football briefly returned yesterday:

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I had fun shooting a practice day a the track. I lent the camera to a buddy for #2, he was braver then I and got in real close. It's tough to pick what to post on the rider forums. I prefer to post my best work, but everyone wants a shot of themselves. I could take it seriously and start charging, but I don't want a second job.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Gullous posted:

I had fun shooting a practice day a the track. I lent the camera to a buddy for #2, he was braver then I and got in real close. It's tough to pick what to post on the rider forums. I prefer to post my best work, but everyone wants a shot of themselves. I could take it seriously and start charging, but I don't want a second job.

Honestly, it wouldn't be a bad idea and maybe establish it before hand so you know who to follow and where. It wouldn't be more of a second job as extra beer money and you have your subject(s) already picked out. Regardless it sounds like you're having fun and that's the most important part.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you want to charge money, you should work on your panning game. The riders probably won't care, because they'll be stoked just to have any image of themselves doing a thing, but if you want to move up the ladder and make a name for yourself quality panning shots are going to be a requirement to rise above the chaff.

The few times I've made posts on event forums, I started off with a selection of my favorite shots from the series to give a sample of what I got and invite racers to ask for shots of themselves. I'll let them know if I got any decent shots of them or not, and if so sort out an exchange in email.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Soulex posted:

Honestly, it wouldn't be a bad idea and maybe establish it before hand so you know who to follow and where. It wouldn't be more of a second job as extra beer money and you have your subject(s) already picked out. Regardless it sounds like you're having fun and that's the most important part.

Just slap them all up on Zenfolio for $5. That's what I do with this bodybuilding stuff, makes a nice profit.

Also, try to study what the good photographers in the field do to get great shots, then do that. I would presume people want to see themselves on the approach of the curve, like #3, and tight, dynamic stuff like #1 and #4.

#2 is acceptable, but the rider is exiting the frame so it's less interesting. Like the way it was explained to me was to leave room in the frame for the vehicle/rider to move into, instead of dead center.

dakana posted:

2016-04-19_recent-sports_0002 by Nicholas Kneer, on Flickr

2016-04-19_recent-sports_0003 by Nicholas Kneer, on Flickr

This stuff is great, but clean your sensor :spergin:

red19fire fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 28, 2016

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

My soon to be step son started his first year of tackle football this spring. They had their first game this weekend so I took the camera along to see what I could do. Unfortunately I was limited to the stands but had plenty of room to move around. Not ideal but I got some ok shots.

DSC_4425 by Ian McEachern, on Flickr

DSC_4328-2 by Ian McEachern, on Flickr

DSC_4429 by Ian McEachern, on Flickr

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Shooting football from above like that actually isn't the worst thing in the world, as long as you've got long enough glass and pick the right moments. The background stays relatively clean (especially compared to the parking lots or whatever you'd have at that level) and football players tend to face upward as they pass and catch, like you just showed.

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.
Had some upper-deck seats to a track meet and tried my hand at some panning. Got the shutter speed right most of the time, but on review I wish I had gone just a hair faster. It was pretty hard to get a clean background though, and I wasn't working with an especially long lens.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
I've been pretty burnt out on work lately, but getting to shoot something different is always a treat. Horse racing doesn't happen very often around here.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

F/5 and be there, nerds.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BobTheCow posted:

I've been pretty burnt out on work lately, but getting to shoot something different is always a treat. Horse racing doesn't happen very often around here.

this is super neat and I like it. You panned really well.

red19fire posted:

F/5 and be there, nerds.

This is really sharp but man her eyes have no light and it's kind of terrifying :stonk:

In other news, The story behind the world famous Bobby Orr photo is really worth reading.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I never shot sport before, so I did 3 events in a matter of days to give it a whirl. Was definitely fun and nice to try something outside of my wheelhouse. Pics from Facebook so nasty compression applies.

NHL - Islanders at Panthers, Round 1 Game 5. CEO of the Panthers is cool and made sure my query about taking a camera in went to someone who could answer, and he gave me the OK to take in a DSLR and a short lens. I didn't want to push it by asking to take a telephoto in, so I stuck to just my 50mm 1.8 and my 18-35mm 1.8. 3rd row back from the glass, wasn't easy to shoot with people in front of us with a short lens but fun anyway. The plexi naturally adds some annoying reflections, too.

Baseball - minor league so just took everything and had good seats (to start with - too hot in the Florida sun to stay there the whole afternoon). Got to experience shooting through a net too which was interesting, amazing how it just doesn't appear in the picture but annoying when it messes with focus.

Hockey - another minor league so again, no issue with taking a longer lens but sadly no ports to shoot through. Haven't had chance to go through these properly yet, but was pretty chuffed I got a pic of the puck flying head on to me.

Happy enough for a beginner, nothing amazingly standout but glad I gave it a shot. Didn't do much burst shooting as I was limited on drive space for this trip, and I also wanted to watch the games too!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That shot with Jagr is really good. It would be better without the players being cut off but the realities of being at a rink don't make that feasible. Print it and get him to sign it then hang it on your wall forever because he's a living legend.

Maybe send a copy to Tavares too because he was probably stoked to skate against him.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Those are good. I actually like the baseball one where the batter is facing away and the stands are in the background. It breaks all the "rules" but it works so it's nice.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

xzzy posted:

That shot with Jagr is really good. It would be better without the players being cut off but the realities of being at a rink don't make that feasible. Print it and get him to sign it then hang it on your wall forever because he's a living legend.

Maybe send a copy to Tavares too because he was probably stoked to skate against him.

Thanks! Yeah the bottom of that one is where the board starts, but yeah definitely agreed it would've been awesome to get a full length shot by there. Not entirely sure how I don't have two rows of people in view for that one, must've lucked out.

I've been a Penguins fan since the Jagr/Lemieux years of the 90s and the Pens would get some airtime at 2am in the UK. Now the Panthers are my local (4 hour drive) team, so I'm psyched he's just resigned. That's a great idea about getting it printed and signed!

Soulex posted:

Those are good. I actually like the baseball one where the batter is facing away and the stands are in the background. It breaks all the "rules" but it works so it's nice.

Cheers! I seem to get more pictures of people facing away from me than the other way around somehow! I should make it my thing and start a collection ha.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
Jagr is a drat living legend, great shot.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

So, posing the hardest question because I need some help.

I've been contacted to do some sports photos and possible video. I've shot the sport before, no issue. The real question is how much to charge? I already promise no "session" fee, no travel cost but no set guarantee of amount of pictures (basically If I get 30 keepers you get 30.) and digital only. Also I keep the Raws etc.

I'm not the best, but I'd consider myself anywhere from competent to good. I posted some pictures here before, and I was hopi I can get a ballpark figure of where I should start. Currently I'm resting on 50 bucks a shoot. It's gonna be a 30 minute drive, but he is also a friend.

40ozOE
Aug 26, 2004

Bedridden I know more than you.

Soulex posted:

Currently I'm resting on 50 bucks a shoot. It's gonna be a 30 minute drive, but he is also a friend.

Yes, for photos only, $50 is a reasonable price. If you want to work in something for travel, then offer $60 or $70, but don't itemize it. (I'd also charge a little extra if there was video work involved.)

Honestly, the rate depends on what sport you're shooting and what at professional level. The minor-minor league sports and indie wrestling I work with - the ones that can pay, anyway - are usually about $50. The major-minor league sports will top out around $100.

(NCAA college sports are much more, but they will tell you what their rates are, and you'll sign a contract and get a 1099 and the whole deal.)

40ozOE fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 10, 2016

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe
Finally came back from my break from wrestling with a bit of a corker!

Collision Course by bang3rachi, on Flickr

Full Album here

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I think there's a bit much negative space in some of them but overall I think they're great. Love the first one.

I wandered Miami Beach with my film setup and found some manner of horse show. These are both wiht my 300mm f/4.5

00000008 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

00000007 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

00000002 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

This third one may have been my 180mm f/2.8, or the 135.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Bang3r posted:

Finally came back from my break from wrestling with a bit of a corker!

Full Album here
I really like this one.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
20160512_203744.jpg by Geektox, on Flickr

They didn't let me bring my camera into NXT Seattle but my cellphone did the job well enough for my personal collection.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

These are really great, are they staged photoshoot pictures, or did you get to place strobes in the rafters and softboxes around the ring at an event?

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe
Nope these are live action ones! the fed has 8 1000w constant lights up in the rafters (and a bunch of other effect lights etc) they use to light the ring/apron/entrance but the crowd is generally in darkness so it gives it a nice cut off effect.
I'm pretty goddamn spoilt shooting for them.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I somehow missed the link to the full album. Those are fantastic. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, I go to indie wrestling (and larger) fairly often and I've always thought 'how would these turn out if I tried to shoot', but hot drat even with maybe better lighting than a lot of smaller promotions, those are just amazing. Like, if you had 5 photos to the quality of those I'd be wowed and there's 3 drat pages full.

As your flickr account strips the info, I'd be intrigued to know what your setup is for that event. I'm guessing you must be shooting pretty fast shutter and high ISO then ramping up the black levels a bit to mask the noise somewhat (as well as giving them a really sweet styling)?. Super impressed.