Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Doc Hawkins posted:

There's a bit in Foucault's Pendulum where the principal characters are discussing the rules of the Knights Templar (don't drink, fight saracens, be humble, etc, etc). They remark that organizations tend to only codify and write down explicit rules when people are breaking them all the time, and at least one person has broken them in a public or exaggerated way which upsets or embarrasses the people running the group. They then invent a humorous story of a knight who broke all the rules of the Templar in one day.

...Yep. It's pretty funny. Not sure why I suddenly thought of it, though. RIP Umberto Eco.

So...they invented their own Bro Code?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Wait... is that an anime twitter avatar?

Yep.

It checks out.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

Woolie Wool posted:

There's no such loving thing as an untouchable outside India/Pakistan/Bangladesh you loving fool.

Idk I bet his dick isn't in either of those two countries and it's plenty untouchable

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Karl Popper declared Marx to be "the last of the great holistic system builders". Popper spoke too soon.
Indeed, Moldbug is in many ways the Marx of our time. He took an existing political tradition and disabused of its moralistic and idealistic mysticisms; he constructed a vast body of politico-economic literature out of dissatisfaction with all existing theories; he graduated from a young to mature phase of thought; he casted an unflinching light on the ossified interests that regulate our moralities and opinions, the fluctuations of which we would otherwise believe to be corrective or spontaneous; he named the ruling class who resists being named, and is consciously representative of that class which he denounces so violently; he demonstrated how the most successful ideas are just those that have adapted to serve the interests of the people in the position of promoting them; he exposed the hypocrisies and wishful absurdities promoted by clerical authorities; he unmasked the attempts of ideology to disguise itself even in the form of its own opposition; and finally, he described how it could all change.
It saddens me to see all this come to an end, but it really does feel like he exhausted all that he had to say in those seven years. The corpus is whole, but not bloated.
His greatest accomplishment is probably the Gentle Introduction, followed by the Open Letter. My favorite work of his will always be this overlooked piece.

- The Slate Star Codex subreddit

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
That just makes it sound like he ripped off Marx, though.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

So who's the ruling class that doesn't want to be named? Women who won't go on dates with him and people who don't approve of racial slurs?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Karl Popper declared Marx to be "the last of the great holistic system builders". Popper spoke too soon.
Indeed, Moldbug is in many ways the Marx of our time. He took an existing political tradition and disabused of its moralistic and idealistic mysticisms; he constructed a vast body of politico-economic literature out of dissatisfaction with all existing theories; he graduated from a young to mature phase of thought; he casted an unflinching light on the ossified interests that regulate our moralities and opinions, the fluctuations of which we would otherwise believe to be corrective or spontaneous; he named the ruling class who resists being named, and is consciously representative of that class which he denounces so violently; he demonstrated how the most successful ideas are just those that have adapted to serve the interests of the people in the position of promoting them; he exposed the hypocrisies and wishful absurdities promoted by clerical authorities; he unmasked the attempts of ideology to disguise itself even in the form of its own opposition; and finally, he described how it could all change.
It saddens me to see all this come to an end, but it really does feel like he exhausted all that he had to say in those seven years. The corpus is whole, but not bloated.
His greatest accomplishment is probably the Gentle Introduction, followed by the Open Letter. My favorite work of his will always be this overlooked piece.

- The Slate Star Codex subreddit

I'm pretty sure Popper didn't mean that as a compliment.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Marx founded a school of analysis, Moldbug isn't allowed near schools.

Makes u think.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Jack Gladney posted:

So who's the ruling class that doesn't want to be named? Women who won't go on dates with him and people who don't approve of racial slurs?

I think it's the professors who disliked him.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

Jack Gladney posted:

Voltaire: "To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise"

I'll let you figure out the rest.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Christ, some of these replies.

quote:

A rambling philosopher who writes too much about political proposals that would likely be disastrous if implemented, ...yes, I see the similarity.

This is something Marx conspicuously wrote little about! He explicitly expressed discomfort about writing up detailed future policies!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

If Moldbug isn't "bloated" I'm kinda scared to find out what this guy thinks is.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Narciss posted:

Voltaire: "To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise"

Um...that wasn't Voltaire. Though its a frankly much better attribution of the quote, a White nationalist actually said that.

I'll let you figure out who's referring to.

Its the Jews:bahgawd:

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

A White Guy posted:

Well... your conclusion, not mine. :shrug:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Narciss posted:

Here, you can read this 'excellent' piece of literature because thats where he says it. He apes the writing style of Joseph Gobbels all through out before declaring that all the faults of the world are on 'da jewz'.

At least his prose is better than Moldbugs.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

A White Guy posted:

Um...that wasn't Voltaire. Though its a frankly much better attribution of the quote, a White nationalist actually said that.

Check his rap sheet.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Check his rap sheet.

Or, you know, the massive anime under each of the posts.

Yes I browse with sigs turned on what about it :colbert:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Check his rap sheet.

No need, because these guys make it so easy by quoting the recruitment booklet verbatim with no deviation.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

A White Guy posted:

Also Voltaire criticized the poo poo out of the political and religious establishment. It was kind of the main thing he did, really.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Just saw that idiot goons in YCS were bandying around Scott's insufferable "I can't tolerate ... outgroup" essay

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

A Man With A Plan posted:

Also Voltaire criticized the poo poo out of the political and religious establishment. It was kind of the main thing he did, really.

Voltaire was also fairly anti-Semitic, though (despite attacking the hypocrisy of more mainstream forms of anti-Semitism).

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Fututor Magnus posted:

Just saw that idiot goons in YCS were bandying around Scott's insufferable "I can't tolerate ... outgroup" essay

I think fishmech is one of the worst posters on the forums, and thus seeing him moderating YCS fills me with so much glee.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Fututor Magnus posted:

Where's that? I only read the Republican primary thread.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Woolie Wool posted:

I think fishmech is one of the worst posters on the forums, and thus seeing him moderating YCS fills me with so much glee.

Fishmech is actually a good poster. He's a better mod though.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Peztopiary posted:

Fishmech is actually a good poster. He's a better mod though.

Woolie Wool dislikes Fishmech because Fishmech made fun of his terrible taste in DooM graphics settings.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Just recorded 75 min of Eruditorium Press podcast with Phil Sandifer to plug Neoreaction a Basilisk. Hopefully I didn’t babble or talk over him too much.

Skype is the correct way to make international calls. Couldn’t find the USB soundcard to plug the professional quality microphone into, so I did the phone call on … my phone. Which means I got to put software on my phone to turn it into a phone. Quality not great but not horrendous. It’ll be good enough, Phil thinks.

I’ve known Phil since like 2004 and we’ve never spoken before. We conversed marvellously and sparklingly. If we ever make it down a pub together it will need to be recorded for posterity and profit.

I won’t spoiler the podcast (except to say that red tidday UP got a few minutes), but we hope it will entertain and inform. And it should be vital and informative material, particularly for rationalists trying to work out how to hate the book accurately, let alone how to hate me accurately. A hopefully useful contribution to sneer culture.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Fututor Magnus posted:

It's the kind of thing tech people think is deep. I have programming nerd friends who are relieved people are posting less SSC nowadays.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Narciss posted:

Welcome back na--

A White Guy posted:

Narciss posted:

A White Guy posted:

Here, you can read this 'excellent' piece of literature because thats where he says it. He apes the writing style of Joseph Gobbels all through out before declaring that all the faults of the world are on 'da jewz'.

At least his prose is better than Moldbugs.

Check his rap sheet.
Holy poo poo

Narciss posted:

This is what awaits America if we don't elect Trump and MAGA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6BbzFUeVSE

Narciss posted:

Hahaha

Kind of puts the whole Occupy movement in perspective; Occupy was started by an insane guy who thought he was a woman who apparently hates real women, the Tea Party was started by a successful Trader & News commentator.

Narciss posted:

Rape is power + sexual assault. This was not a rape.

Narciss posted:

Noted Gay Man Three Olives should be able to see the merits of banning the immigration of adherents to an ideology that scripturally and consistently desires your death. Not being catty here, if I were a gay person I'd be genuinely concerned about the U.S. becoming like Eurabia in 30 years. Where this unholy alliance of LGBT and Islam came from, I will never know.

Narciss posted:

This point was made a bit flippantly, but its an important one. Trump is a natural alpha, so don't be surprised when all the women who claim to 'hate' that Big Bad Bully Who Is So Mean But Also Kind of Strong & Dangerous end up voting for him in the general. Anyone who is sufficiently educated on Redpill sociology and anthropology can see this coming from a mile away. Favorability ratings mean nothing at this stage. Other Alphas also love Trump, which leaves the betas and the cucks for Hillary. Not a demographic I would rely on come November.

Narciss posted:

CNN - Latest Terror Suspect In Paris Attacks Was A Syrian Refugee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6zfWJkz8FY

I was tepidly supporting taking in Syrian refugees before all this, but I'm starting to seriously rethink that view. Maybe Trump knew/realized something we didn't?

Narciss posted:

Be a good goy and open up your borders, Franz. Not taking in millions of refugees is another Shoah!

Narciss posted:

DELETE THIS

Narciss posted:

I'm not sure about a quota, but Tunisia does have a higher proportion of woman in parliament than the US does in Congress. As for your citizenship idea, my God that would be a nightmare. We'd have hordes of mainstream Sunni muslims coming in, going "yup I'm *oppressed religious minority*" and then ghettoing it up in Dearborn, Michigan.

Narciss posted:

The fact that she wears a Hijab is itself extremely problematic. What sort of message does that send to the vast swathes of oppressed women she claims to represent?

Narciss posted:

Why do old Oriental women have curly hair so often? Do they curl it purposefully? Or is it just something that happens when they age?

Narciss posted:

You seem to be implying that this case says anything about white-on-black racism; it doesn't. It was a police officer acting in self-defense, with a legitimate fear for his life. The racial identities of the involved parties are totally ancillary to the case. I actually thought that Officer Wilson was Black and Mr. Brown was white, for awhile, because I don't really think about race much and can easily picture a black man being a police officer and a man named Mr. Brown being white.
HOLY poo poo

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Or, you know, the massive anime under each of the posts.

Yes I browse with sigs turned on what about it :colbert:

I always assumed that photoshops of anime girls wearing trump hats were making fun of trump, but clearly I was wrong. We got a real life anime-loving nazi trumpeteer folks.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Woolie Wool posted:

There's no such loving thing as an untouchable outside India/Pakistan/Bangladesh you loving fool.

You could make the argument that the rural poor hillbilly types in America consistute an untouchable caste. Though Aurini would have to admit that this means his unpriveledged group is 20~30% black. Which he absolutely isn't doing.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Cardboard Box A posted:

I always assumed that photoshops of anime girls wearing trump hats were making fun of trump, but clearly I was wrong. We got a real life anime-loving nazi trumpeteer folks.

Ugghh, what did poor Momiji do to deserve that sig

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Cardboard Box A posted:

On SA? No... :ohdear:

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

It's a movement, all right.

:itwaspoo:

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Prism posted:

It's a movement: alt-right.

:itwaspoo:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

divabot posted:

Just recorded 75 min of Eruditorium Press podcast with Phil Sandifer to plug Neoreaction a Basilisk. Hopefully I didn’t babble or talk over him too much.

Skype is the correct way to make international calls. Couldn’t find the USB soundcard to plug the professional quality microphone into, so I did the phone call on … my phone. Which means I got to put software on my phone to turn it into a phone. Quality not great but not horrendous. It’ll be good enough, Phil thinks.

I’ve known Phil since like 2004 and we’ve never spoken before. We conversed marvellously and sparklingly. If we ever make it down a pub together it will need to be recorded for posterity and profit.

I won’t spoiler the podcast (except to say that red tidday UP got a few minutes), but we hope it will entertain and inform. And it should be vital and informative material, particularly for rationalists trying to work out how to hate the book accurately, let alone how to hate me accurately. A hopefully useful contribution to sneer culture.

When will it be up?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Quad City CJ posted:

*loads into a game it looks like they also gave you a black pill dark enlightenment reject? dude?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

When will it be up?

Noooo idea. Depends what Phil thinks is a good release order. Someone did suggest he do two Podcast Fives.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Speaking of, Phil has a new excerpt from his book up http://www.eruditorumpress.com/blog/neoreaction-a-basilisk-excerpt-two/

I grow increasingly baffled anyone could find Moldbug convincing about anything.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Speaking of, Phil has a new excerpt from his book up http://www.eruditorumpress.com/blog/neoreaction-a-basilisk-excerpt-two/

I grow increasingly baffled anyone could find Moldbug convincing about anything.

He reads Moldbug so you don't have to!

(seriously, he actually read much more Moldbug than you or I ever will. holy crap.)

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

I read Moldbug's "I'm done with this blog" mini-post and I'm pretty sure I've seen enough of him for one lifetime.

Judging from the excerpts of Sandifer's book though, Nick Land at least seems fascinatingly crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Phil analyzes Moldbug on a philosophical level - he's approaching NRx from the detached viewpoint of an academic, which is probably why he can stomach so much NRx at once.

Also, his book is actually pretty good so far. I've really enjoyed reading all of his excerpts. I might actually buy it.