Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jimbot posted:

How do blue cops work? Do you get summoned in the area you are in or can you appear anywhere as long as you are within the soul level?

And what's a good sweet spot for stamina?

they basically dont work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

What the hell happened here?

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Internet Kraken posted:

against all odds you got summoned as a blue cop :confused:

clearly the game is loving up something fierce. blue cop covenant isn't supposed to do anything

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Jimbot posted:

How do blue cops work? Do you get summoned in the area you are in or can you appear anywhere as long as you are within the soul level?

There's maybe some flexibility with how much "reach" you have when being a blue cop, but generally yeah you need to be near where you want to counter-invade. Then you just need to cross you fingers and hope people remember to equip the covenant, are embered up, get invaded, and also that Gwyndolin wakes up in time to call you from the bench to make that sweet dunk.

For stamina, I personally shoot for enough to cover 2-3 swings plus cushion for rolling away, since that seems to be about how many hits you can get before some one can roll or block again. So 15-20 will probably do you just fine. More if you like estocs and rapiers.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 22, 2016

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

turtlecrunch posted:

There's human centipedes and beardoglegspiders. If you know the inside-out werewolves from Bloodborne the latter kind of look like that, but fuzzier and with an oni face.
The worst are called Deep Accursed and I've never been truly disturbed by a Dark Souls enemy until I saw these bastards moving.

I've never truly freaked out about a DS enemy before, but there's something about the animation and combination of features. :gonk:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Balobam posted:

someone tell me, is my super secret strat of 'hit with greatsword' considered good?

i mean it works and i'm winning but i'm curious of the general perception of the sword

also, just got to irithyl(?) dungeon place is way too loving creepy, also gently caress those weird giant spider dogs that fall from ceilings in anal rodeo revisited and the deep chapel, also far too creepy

I decided to stat reset my original character into a Guts build for NG+ because I've never done one before and gently caress it.

I immediately get invaded when I get to High Wall and spend 10 minutes going back and forth with this guy until I finally win with my unexpected delayed smacks. It felt good. :unsmith:

You can really fake people out just by varying the amount of time you hold strong attacks.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

Them's a whoooooole lot of missing textures. I'd check the temperature and/or health of your graphics card.

Mr Dog posted:

Second highest rated is "Huh. It's a crab" facing the Giant Enemy Crab from the bonfire just down the road.

Yeah, imaginative or what.

The "Huh."-messages are my favorites, and I probably rated your message. There's just something really funny to me about it, like I saw the crabs and thought "huh. It's a crab :raise:" and the first message I see says "Huh. It's a crab"

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
when I get home I'll try to do the plunging attack on one of the endgame bosses and I will probably fail multiple more times

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

Malcolm XML posted:

that is entirely possible but p hard solo

Probably more likely that he muled it over. I dump all my gear onto my new chars, and as long as you don't upgrade it, you can give any weapon to a level 1 character. (In my defense, I don't use this for a pvp advantage but because weapons like the Gotthard Twinblades are just too awesome to wait 3/4 of the game to get.)

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am
Hell yes, I just entirely circumnavigated the Farron swamp without dying. Killed the GIANT ENEMY CRAB, killed the trio of walking rotwood piles, killed the black knight guarding the coal. Got every item around the perimeter, now time to go through the middle bits.

Now if I could just get the SSss-SSss-SSss noise out of my head.

Captn Kurp
Oct 21, 2013

:bravo2:

Jimbot posted:

For blue cops, you can get summoned anywhere that you have lit the bonfire, so if someone on the High Wall of Lothric gets invaded and you're in the Road of Sacrifices, you can still be pulled to defend. I've had this happen several times, but I don't know the exact stipulations.

Can't help on the stamina, though.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
OK, so I just watched this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ngXTEQDhRk

Nothing special to watch except for seeing Swordmaster NPC solo Dancer for the player while he just hides behind pillars...I lolled.

To summarize what is going on in the video:

1. Start new game.
2. Kick swordmaster off the cliff at firelink. Level up Vigor to 17.
3. Run through the High Wall bypassing all of the enemies and kill Emma.
4. Go summon Swordmaster from the Vordt bossgate, Run back to Dancer and let Swordmaster solo Dancer !?!?! lol
5. Level up strength to 29, go to Vordt from the Dancer bonfire; summon Swordmaster again, beat the crap out of Vordt.
6. Run through Undead Village to where Onionbro is, take the elevator down, run right past the Outrider Knight with the frost sword.
7. Run through Road of Sacrifice until you fight that NPC for the Butcher Knife.
8. Head back to Firelink, reinforce Butcher Knife, level Strength to 30

And there you have it...17 Vig and 30 Str with a strong weapon 40 minutes into the game. Not too shabby.

And this is just ridiculous:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwlYcNp4ARU

I don't even have words.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Are any bosses locked behind quests? I ask because I'd like to transpose all boss souls for items by the end of NG+

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Giant Isopod posted:

My "Be wary of pincer attack" message in the same spot got 0
:mad:

See yours is actually funny.

I'm not sure how much truth there is to this but apparently the message system is a bit of a Reddit circlejerk in that the more you upvote people's messages the more likely yours are to show up in other peoples' worlds. And of course your messages only appear while the character that wrote them is being played. And I always make an effort to rate useful messages. Or if somebody has a "Help me!" message I'll always rate it to give them a free heal (it'll probably hit right as they get up at a bonfire after getting killed. They always do).

Highest rated I saw was "Huh, it's an up. But it's a down" in front of a double-decker elevator that has a Titanite Slab under it. Had a rating of something like 1600. I imagine whoever wrote that is playing on the dark souls equivalent of a god mode cheat.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I decided to stat reset my original character into a Guts build for NG+ because I've never done one before and gently caress it.

I immediately get invaded when I get to High Wall and spend 10 minutes going back and forth with this guy until I finally win with my unexpected delayed smacks. It felt good. :unsmith:

You can really fake people out just by varying the amount of time you hold strong attacks.

get teh ring that lets you wear down stamina faster when the enemy is blocking and just keep swinging

put the fear of god into them

you still give yourself room to roll good or you just go full tankster

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Internet Kraken posted:

Textures didn't load or it's a winter wonderland, pick whichever you prefer

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

I don't even have words.

:vince: there are no words for poo poo like this

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I hate that boss souls only turn into swords (usually greatswords) and spells and like, two axes.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Jimbot posted:

you can appear anywhere but there might be a favor system for if you're within the area- i usually get matched up with the area i'm in but sometimes i'll just show up somewhere really loving random

darkmoon blade isn't worth it at all- everything has more magic resist than thunder resist and it lasts the same amount of time as thunder blade. it's seriously just worse thunder blade. pretty sure you don't get the really stupid bonus for covenant allegiance like in ds1, either
the attunement ring owns, though

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

limited posted:

The worst are called Deep Accursed and I've never been truly disturbed by a Dark Souls enemy until I saw these bastards moving.

I've never truly freaked out about a DS enemy before, but there's something about the animation and combination of features. :gonk:

Those guys were spooky but I realllly hated the things you find in Irithyll Dungeon. Apparently they're called Wretches. Definitely the most unsettling enemies I've seen in any of these games, doubly so because the first one I came across was non-hostile and just stared at me.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

So has anyone done any tests on how dark magic scales? I've heard both that you need a catalyst with Int and Fth scaling and 30 of each of those stats for good damage, and that it's entirely based on your catalyst's spell buff so you can get just as good damage with dark sorceries with a regular Int-scaling staff and high Int.

Lester Shy posted:

Those guys were spooky but I realllly hated the things you find in Irithyll Dungeon. Apparently they're called Wretches. Definitely the most unsettling enemies I've seen in any of these games, doubly so because the first one I came across was non-hostile and just stared at me.

Fextralife just makes names up. That said, I doubt we'll ever know the official names given that they're not in the official guide.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

Fuligin posted:

I hate that boss souls only turn into swords (usually greatswords) and spells and like, two axes.

speak for yourself i got some hands that turn me into a fire tornado

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

limited posted:

Yeah these fuckers are horrendous. Like someone heard the phrase "wolf spider" for the first time and got way too into it.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

basically the enemy design in this game is on fuckin point, but good lord do some of them genuinely unnerve me

those centipede-people in the water are horrible

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

TheHoosier posted:

I dont use lock-on if theyre like Vordt where you have to beat their testicles, rob thomas

I love this because it's def what both my husband and I say in the boss fights.

SHUT UP, GRAB A SHOE, BEAT HIS TESTICLES

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Melanion posted:

It is from Ava's Demon, an excellent comic with a glacial update schedule.

30 minutes to plow through four year's worth of illustrations. :sigh:

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fuligin posted:

but there's a spear that heals you, havel's ring, flaming fists, item boosting rapier, and frostbite mace

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ACTION AMERICAN posted:

My "Moon ahead, therefore Praise the trap!" message saved my life during the Aldritch fight, and I find that rather fitting.

I'm a sucker for messages, and rate nearly every one I see. I also like to leave cheeky ones whenever DS references itself, but none of them have garnered nearly as much attention as "could this be a hole?, Praise the thrust!" in front of a corpse bent over a railing. DS players are weird.

I just made the dumbest most meme-y messages I could think of for those sweet, sweet upvote heals

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Zaphod42 posted:

:vince: there are no words for poo poo like this

So this isn't a fluke. On my first playthrough I got invaded twice in the area with all the archers leading up to Anor Londo. When I thought my summoned helper killed off the invader, I did the Patches Squat gesture. At the same time an archer shoots an greatarrow that soars right over my head and directly nails the invader who just ran up a ramp and then to his death.

All the little things in Dark Souls 3 make it just that much worth while.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

Robo Reagan posted:

but there's a spear that heals you, havel's ring, flaming fists, item boosting rapier, and frostbite mace

don't forget the giant mace that makes fire explode on the floor

shame it needs 50str to use :(

someday i'll invade someone while dual wielding 2 of them and show them how heavily impractical i can be, then somehow win cuz they make 1 mistake and you hit for like 9billion

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Is it just messages that give you estus cause I've gotten a bunch of extra estus while offline

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Balobam posted:

don't forget the giant mace that makes fire explode on the floor

shame it needs 50str to use :(

someday i'll invade someone while dual wielding 2 of them and show them how heavily impractical i can be, then somehow win cuz they make 1 mistake and you hit for like 9billion

I've been rocking a comically oversized weapon that takes a billion strength to wield build. I got smashed at first but everyone pretty much just dodges around for huge weapons so I've gotten pretty good at estimating where the roll will end and it's not too hard to get hits in. Definitely more interesting than going Chaos Blade for the third game in a row and gently caress Estoc

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
I accidentally overwrote my "if only I had a woman..." just as it was going to reach 1k votes :negative:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Host and summon standing still by bonfire, not moving? I get in range for a backstab, still not moving? Backstab the host, the summon wakes up and does an R2 in the wrong direction and leaves the pile of items it was standing on - RINGS! HOT LATEGAME RINGS!

That level 20 invader of mine has a conscience weighed down by rings.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

I don't even have words.

Voice commands? loving casual, can't act smug when you're cheating

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

MrLonghair posted:

Host and summon standing still by bonfire, not moving? I get in range for a backstab, still not moving? Backstab the host, the summon wakes up and does an R2 in the wrong direction and leaves the pile of items it was standing on - RINGS! HOT LATEGAME RINGS!

hahahha what the gently caress.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

It's not a graphics card problem; I had the same thing happen to me when I was summoned as a blue cop to Undead Settlement earlier.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Desperate Character posted:

It's not a graphics card problem; I had the same thing happen to me when I was summoned as a blue cop to Undead Settlement earlier.

Yup, me too. It only seems to happen if I get warped to the Settlement when I'm not currently in it. Incorrect shaders/textures loaded?

MrLonghair posted:

Did you steal a bunch of rings from someone who was trying to trade them between characters? That's delicious :allears:

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Balobam posted:

those centipede-people in the water are horrible

Normally stuff like that creeps me out, but those enemies are just so over the top that it kind of wraps around to being hilarious. Like hello I'm a spider centipede demon with 10,000 legs and no face and evil hair and I scream when you stab me and... I don't know, there's a limit to horror where it just becomes comedy. I mean, if I found one under my bed I'd probably scream and need a change of pants, but that's a different story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Beat the game, loved the poo poo out of it and so glad to have another Souls masterpiece to play through. The world looks so pretty, the game feels so good and smooth. It didn't give me much trouble, though - the only bosses that took me more than two tries were Iudex (deprived :v:), Abyss Watchers and Old Demon King :argh: - the rest seemed to just require sensible roll dodging and patience. OTOH I feel like I missed out on so much when it comes to NPC quests and covenants. I barely saw any of the NPC's stories through, and I joined Fingers early so I couldn't be a proper blue cop, so instead I played as a Blue Sentinel and unlike DS2, it actually worked and I got summoned consistently through the entire game. Bit weird that so many people stayed Way of Blue throughout, but it was a really fun way to take a 2 minute detour from my game every now and then. I missed the mould covenant too.

Now I wanna just read all the lore, and maybe next do an INT playthough with ashen flasks and check out all the NPC stories and other endings.