Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Is that what that is? I always wondered what was the point of having a second smaller radiator underneath the main one.

Don't oil coolers take engine oil directly though? It's not part of the main coolant line, right?

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I don't remember offhand what you ride, some bikes use a dedicated air/fluid cooler, others uses fluid/fluid cooler. (I'm talking more of the second, I've never seen a bike cooler fail, O rings leaking yes, but not the cooler itself. automotive/diesel applications I've seen fail)

wonky poo poo like old MVs use a main radiator, with a little stubby sub rad below it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Oil and coolant are usually completely separate circuits apart from the head/block interface. A head gasket leak should be pretty obvious. Any smoke?

edit: I guess the pump gasket is also a possibly culprit.

Ola fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 22, 2016

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Hey don't put down zipties, I use zipties everywhere man. I used zipties to hold on a racing seat once it worked great until i went into a big steering wobble in turn 10 at NHMS and the seat flew off when I stood up so maybe you shouldn't use zipties on everything actually.

Classic "should have used more zip ties" imo

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

cursedshitbox posted:

I don't remember offhand what you ride, some bikes use a dedicated air/fluid cooler, others uses fluid/fluid cooler. (I'm talking more of the second, I've never seen a bike cooler fail, O rings leaking yes, but not the cooler itself. automotive/diesel applications I've seen fail)

wonky poo poo like old MVs use a main radiator, with a little stubby sub rad below it.

2001 ZZR600. It was an offhand comment from the mechanic, so I don't imagine there was that much oil in there, and there's definitely been no smoke. He only mentioned it as a "yeah, maybe watch out for this" kind of thing.

I only mentioned it here cause I'm a huge drama queen and can't just enjoy things as they are :v:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Dutymode posted:

Put Kenda K671's on the Ninja. Even budget tires are better than old stock tires!

I have these on my Enfield. I like them.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Replaced the Napoleons with "Magazi" universal bar ends. Excellent visibility with these.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I'm guessing by what a big thing Suzuki made out of it in the new GSX* engines that water-cooled oil coolers are a relatively new thing. How common is a seperate oil cooler on a water-cooled engine though? I don't think any of my bikes have had one unless it was really well-hidden, and I'd have thought on all but the most ridiculously highly-strung engines it would have been pretty redundant because the heat transfer from the oilways going up the cylinder would be enough?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Installed +10 tooth rear sprocket and new chain on the sumo. Found it to feel less torquey than before, the opposite of what I expected. :( I'm just gonna go back to stock gearing and stop pretending I know better than Yamaha engineers.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Installed a top gun rear spring on my KLR and learned a valuable lesson. Automotive spring compressors are too big for motorcycle springs. When I bought the spring the website suggested a tusk brand spring compressor for another $32. Kicked myself about a dozen times today and spent twice that to find a compressor that worked. At least the bike rides better with my fat rear end on it.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Confirmed the ST3 is British when it marked its territory in my garage. Just a drop of coolant though, snugged up a few hose clamps and it should be good. Fairly common from what I understand. Also took out and cleaned the gear position sensor as it was acting a little fucky, I'll see if thats better next time I ride.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm guessing by what a big thing Suzuki made out of it in the new GSX* engines that water-cooled oil coolers are a relatively new thing. How common is a seperate oil cooler on a water-cooled engine though? I don't think any of my bikes have had one unless it was really well-hidden, and I'd have thought on all but the most ridiculously highly-strung engines it would have been pretty redundant because the heat transfer from the oilways going up the cylinder would be enough?

Water:oil coolers are super duper common, my decade old honda has one. They're usually integrated into the oil filter pedestal; I've never seen one on a cartridge oil filter bike (I imagine at that point an external air cooled one is more cost-effective) but they're probably out there somewhere. High strung or low strung isn't really relevant, it's about keeping the oil at a stable temperature so you can get those sweet sweet long oil change intervals and other reliability/emissions good stuff.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ola posted:

Spring weather! :argh:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Water:oil coolers are super duper common, my decade old honda has one. They're usually integrated into the oil filter pedestal; I've never seen one on a cartridge oil filter bike (I imagine at that point an external air cooled one is more cost-effective) but they're probably out there somewhere. High strung or low strung isn't really relevant, it's about keeping the oil at a stable temperature so you can get those sweet sweet long oil change intervals and other reliability/emissions good stuff.

My old Shiver with it's 12k/2 year service intervals (and cartridge oil filter) didn't have an external oil radiator. The Dorsuduro/Caponord 1200 motor (same bottom end and radiator) *does* have one though, weirdly enough.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Looks like I'm not the only one aroused by that bike. :quagmire:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

A familiar tale.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?
I stuck my wife on it! Finally got some 2-up time yesterday on the Yamalounger. The bike's a fuckin' beast, it didn't feel any different with her on. I scraped the floorboards a couple times just to freak her out a little. Now I gotta get all the intercom wiring and stuff figured out...

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
The gen 2 SV650 has a separate oil cooler. Gen 1 doesn't.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
I changed the battery. I don't have the complete detailed history of the bike but I believe the battery is 9 years old with 50000 km on it, 43000 of them are mine. Thanks for the many years of faithful service, Mr. Yuasa.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Installed an oil temperature gauge. Took a while but I found a nice little low profile gauge I could tuck under the flyscreen. I've got it all wired up, just waiting on a new sensor that will replace my drain plug.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I think it'd be cool to do something like that, but a bit further and have something cut to shape to go in between the windscreen and tach and display extra info, like a secondary dash. Temp, air temp, battery voltage, gear indicator, etc. I actually just want a better dash with more information for my vstrom :v At least it shows gas level (even if the bars are super out of whack. First disappears within a mile, next lasts for 60% of the fuel, then the other 3 account for about 20% of the fuel together, then it's on reserves and flashing with the last gallon of a 5.8g tank)

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The SV1000 has a decent-sized oil cooler as well as a big radiator. Not sure how much it helps, but I sure do think it looks cool above my belly pan.

On-topic: The MegaSvee is finally registered. I was worried about the inspection due to my current setup lacking a proper license-plate light, but the tech never even looked at the rear of my bike, so...

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Changed both tires and sprockets + chain. Suddenly I have a new bike.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Got shipment notification for a pair of Avon Trailriders. These better be better than the Metzelers. One shipped from Portland and I think it will arrive today, the other shipped from Hershey, PA and will be here next week. Oh good.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 28, 2016

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

The voltage meter was reading low after the last ride on the Strom 1K, 12.5V, checked around the net and most people said the likely culprit was loose stator magnets, seems to be pretty common on DL's, SV's & TL's. Pulled off the side cover and what do you know, loose magnets. One was stuck tight, though. I pried, hit & even chiseled to no effect, 1 out of 5 Mr. Suzuki Epoxy man, great job.

So today I JB Welded the 5 into place and held them in place with folder clamps, I hope they don't slide or shift overnight.

Edit
One looks like one slid about a mm or two, I don't think it'll cause too much of an issue... I hope

Retarted Pimple fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Apr 30, 2016

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Today we have a party so I used my practical motor vehicle for borrowing some chairs.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Ola posted:

Today we have a party so I used my practical motor vehicle for borrowing some chairs.

I never get tired of seeing pics of your bike. :allears:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I should have taken a pic of last week's try at getting a couple of large boxes on the back of the Bandit. It worked in the end, but it was pretty dumb to not go out with the proper bungies already purchased :v:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Ola posted:

That may fly in communist europe but here in Real America those chairs would be broken by a 10 year old.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Babies first motorcycle maintenance. This bike is the nicest least rustiest thing I have owned in a long time, what a total breeze to work on. Did the oil and cleaned/lubed the chain.

Assume the maintenance position

drip drip drip

Official Kawasaki OIl Filter Removal Tool

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Chain lube, air filter serviced.

cargo box added to haul beer a thermos and lunch to work.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Real riders store their beer internally.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

nsaP posted:

That may fly in communist europe but here in Real America those chairs would be broken by a 10 year old.

It was a great party, here's a pic of me and my Euro-style girlfriend.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Well crap, still reading 12.5V after JB Welding the stator magnets in place. Ordered a new coil & r/r.

DerVerrater
Feb 19, 2013
WHATEVER HAPPENED ON DISCORD, I WAS NOT INVOLVED
After a tremendous battle and the use of some power tools I have managed to remove the rusty beast that was the exhaust of my rs2

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

PaintVagrant posted:

Babies first motorcycle maintenance. This bike is the nicest least rustiest thing I have owned in a long time, what a total breeze to work on. Did the oil and cleaned/lubed the chain.

Assume the maintenance position

drip drip drip

Official Kawasaki OIl Filter Removal Tool

Is that a screwdriver straight through the oil filter? If so what a ripper of an idea

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I've done that to probably 80% of all the oil filters I've ever removed.

Fram filters are supposedly crap :can: but I used to use them, and I love that they dip the end of the can in rhino-liner so that it's all grippy. I don't know why more manufacturers haven't picked that up. K&N welds a nut on the end but I can't bring myself to pay the ricer tax.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

I've done that to probably 80% of all the oil filters I've ever removed.

Fram filters are supposedly crap :can: but I used to use them, and I love that they dip the end of the can in rhino-liner so that it's all grippy. I don't know why more manufacturers haven't picked that up. K&N welds a nut on the end but I can't bring myself to pay the ricer tax.

Worth every penny to avoid that one time the screw driver rips clear through the oil filter and now you have a nub stuck on there that's even harder to grab.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I just use one of these and it hasn't torn up a filter for me yet. http://www.amazon.com/Neiko%C2%AE-03421A-Adjustable-Filter-Adapter/dp/B000UD0CTQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Or don't screw in the filter like a goddamn ape. You know who you are (I've only ever has to replace two filters, both came out fine with the ol' hand crank).