Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

StrangeAeon posted:

I've got the Twinspears I'm willing to part with. PSN name StrangestAeon

Sweet, thanks a bunch, I'll hit you up for them.

Now, someone on PS4 wouldn't happen to have the the Gotthard Twinswords available too? :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Am I crazy or does invading in DS3 kind of suck? I went on a rampage and blew all of my stored up cracked red eyes and every single game I matched with was a 3v1. It amazes me how many people go through this game with a veritable army of phantoms with them

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Vermain posted:

We're back in the wacky world of flat damage reduction for elemental damage, something that Dark Souls 2 explicitly removed so that split damage wouldn't be as atrocious. I just don't understand how they made a goddamn bad design decision that was already fixed in the previous game!

A lot of things feel like they started with DS1 as a mechanical base rather than 2. It's really dumb.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

WrightOfWay posted:

A lot of things feel like they started with DS1 as a mechanical base rather than 2. It's really dumb.

A lot. Even minor poo poo like the gesture system and kicking and the roll animations feel like that.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Am I crazy or does invading in DS3 kind of suck? I went on a rampage and blew all of my stored up cracked red eyes and every single game I matched with was a 3v1. It amazes me how many people go through this game with a veritable army of phantoms with them

Between that and how easy it is to run away and chug estus 15 times forever, invading is really bad in this game, yeah.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Tabletops posted:

it's cool but It didn't seem super good, i loved the weapon art but my stats were so split (40 faith, 20 dex 20 str 20 end 20 vigor 16 vit 14 attunement) that I don't feel like I can maximize it very well.
the only stats I haven't put points in are Luck and Intelligence. Just focus on getting some more Dex to give the stabs more punch and you should be fine.

If the Weapon Art isn't the best miracle in the game, it's at least the best miracle I have access to.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

WrightOfWay posted:

This is what you turds get for calling DS2 terrible, huh?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
PvP lowlevel to highlevel is having the fastest most-poise dealing R1 spam weapon and gently caress everything about that. When this is done patching and balancing it'll be good poo poo with no single weapon of those attributes able to beat rock paper and scissors.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 23, 2016

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Winkie01 posted:

Is Fume Ultra Greatsword as OP as it looks on youtube thinking about switching from dex to str for it.

It got nerfed pretty hard a couple patches ago.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Hamsterlady posted:

Between that and how easy it is to run away and chug estus 15 times forever, invading is really bad in this game, yeah.

I never really did invading before and assumed I was just being a candyass but glad to hear I'm not the only one

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Poise pretty much does nothing right now. I haven't poised through a single attack from anything. I guess if you have hyper armor it gives you a little extra insurance.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
I've been having a lot of success with the Champ's halberd in PvP. People seem to misjudge the range on polearms a lot and the weapon art is an even meaner variant of charge.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

argondamn posted:

Poise pretty much does nothing right now.

Apparently the only concrete thing people have found that it does is add hyper armor to the end of your roll animations. That's literally it.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
If BB had been running some sort of system where you could have been invaded solo and not just the moments between having summoned someone for the boss and entered the fog it would have beat this on all points because peep this: 1v3 invasions were winnable by skill rather than spam in BB.

The freedom of rolling to safety is so loving stupid in DS3 that I have demonstrated this by wearing Kirk's and rolling people to death without having to hit the Estus. Poise does so little, the difference between nude and Havel is that you take a bit more damage nude and you won't need to fill up on Vitality attribute.

Patch this mutha up, or add Karmic Justice, either one will make my day.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Apr 23, 2016

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

argondamn posted:

Poise pretty much does nothing right now. I haven't poised through a single attack from anything. I guess if you have hyper armor it gives you a little extra insurance.

The speculation is that Poise grants additional hyper armor frames in a backwards regression. Basically: certain attacks have hyper armor at the very end of that animation, and additional Poise lengthens the number of frames in which you cannot be Poise broken. The problem is that you need absurd amounts of Poise to even get close to having hyper armor on even the majority of your heavy weapon frames (I'm talking, like, full Havel's + Wolf Ring + Yhorm's Greatshield + Lothric Knight Spear), making it absolutely useless for just about everyone in the game.

I didn't think the Poise system could somehow get worse, but they managed it in spectacular fashion.

WrightOfWay posted:

Apparently the only concrete thing people have found that it does is add hyper armor to the end of your roll animations. That's literally it.

You do start to notice Poise against certain enemies when using heavy weapons. The basic Hollows in the tutorial area, for example, interrupt the startup of my Claymore two-handed R1 with 20 Poise, but not with 30 Poise. The problem is that it's a lot like DS2 where you need to have 40 VIT worth of armor to even begin to notice it, and it's even worse now because you're using a godawfully slow weapon when the vast majority of the game's straight swords are both safer and more damaging.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 23, 2016

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

You guys.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcO0lJrc_Cs

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

homeless poster posted:

against all odds you got summoned as a blue cop :confused:

clearly the game is loving up something fierce. blue cop covenant isn't supposed to do anything

If I'm in bluecops, drop a summon sign, get summoned through the sign, and kill a faithful do I get a reward?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Do any of those weapons that boost poise as their skill even give you enough to make a difference?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I give up. Blue Sentinels might as well not exist.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

best

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Do any of those weapons that boost poise as their skill even give you enough to make a difference?

Stomp R2s have noticeably more hyper armor than other attacks with the same weapon.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

DreamShipWrecked posted:

:siren: You are there to kill the host, make them drop their souls and reset their progress. You risk nothing invading.:siren:

Invasions are NOT fightclubs, you are not there to bow and have a katanas at dawn duel. You are there to be an opportunistic scumbag murderer. You can choose where and when you invade and at what SL, you can block the hosts progress and have a bunch of potentially really strong mobs to assist you. Killing any phantom refills your ustus, killing blues or makers nets you rewards, but even then you only have to kill the host to succeed.

Sometimes circumstances don't work in your favour but the sheer variety of situations is what makes it fun. Invasions are absolutely not opportunities to effortless stomp newbies any more because invasions will almost always get prioritised in instances where the host already has assistance.

Invading is better then its ever been.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Vermain posted:

We're back in the wacky world of flat damage reduction for elemental damage, something that Dark Souls 2 explicitly removed so that split damage wouldn't be as atrocious. I just don't understand how they made a goddamn bad design decision that was already fixed in the previous game!

this game feels like an expression of how much whoever made it disliked darksouls 2. in more ways than just the gameplay

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

Perseverence seems to give either full hyper armor on everything or something close to it. Various skills have more hyper armor frames than regular attacks, with the amount varying between skills.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

i did it

please fix the blue covenants

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Zand posted:

this game feels like an expression of how much whoever made it disliked darksouls 2. in more ways than just the gameplay

And yet it's covered with dark souls 2 references so i dunno

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Dear Summoners,

If a sunbro sets up a summon sign right next to a boss door, he's probably looking to co-op the boss and not go on PvP escapades or whatever.

Thanks!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If you're having trouble with invasions, switch to mound makers. You only need to kill one phantom to get your ember usually. Plus you have a right to cause as much chaos as possible. Invade in the defender covenant areas and exclusively kill them for a fun time. Sometimes the invadee even helps you!

Zand posted:

You know if you just ignore all the stuff from DS2 that happens to be in it.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Zand posted:

There are many more subtle nods to it in the story than I anticipated, given the way it practically slaps you in the face with DS1 references from the word go.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

i did it

please fix the blue covenants

Grinding knights? Or did you do the level 100-120 work just sitting there waiting for a hit, wasting away in regret? :smith:
Maybe I need to trade myself that rapier to break past 400 and try the grind again

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
What if the Poise system "getting worse" from 1 to 2 to 3 is actually because Poise was bad in 1 and they decided Bloodborne had better combat than Dark Souls 1/2 rather than because they're dumb idiots who hosed it up really bad on accident

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Monomythian posted:

:siren: You are there to kill the host, make them drop their souls and reset their progress. You risk nothing invading.:siren:

Invasions are NOT fightclubs, you are not there to bow and have a katanas at dawn duel. You are there to be an opportunistic scumbag murderer. You can choose where and when you invade and at what SL, you can block the hosts progress and have a bunch of potentially really strong mobs to assist you. Killing any phantom refills your ustus, killing blues or makers nets you rewards, but even then you only have to kill the host to succeed.

Sometimes circumstances don't work in your favour but the sheer variety of situations is what makes it fun. Invasions are absolutely not opportunities to effortless stomp newbies any more because invasions will almost always get prioritised in instances where the host already has assistance.

Invading is better then its ever been.

Someone gets it. I win nearly every single one of my invasions, be it 2v1, 3v1, or even 4v1. It's important to remember that the host dying is an instant victory, and you should use every tactic possible to make that happen. Take potshots, learn weapon timings, focus on whoever has low HP, hit people as they're coming out of rolls, etc. Having some Miracles handy can really extend your survivability too. Also, always remember the greatest weapon of all: gravity.

Although the ease and speed of invasions really puts into perspective how busted blue covenants are. In the time it's taken me to get over 200 kills through invading, I've been summoned... 6 times. Over the course of 20+ hours. I've managed to get all my Sunlight Medals, Vertebrae, and way more Tongues than I could ever need in the same timespan. The strange thing is that I almost always have a blue phantom zone in to fight me, so my theory is a lack of valid invasions over lack of Way of Blue members.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 23, 2016

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
After I finish all of Sirris's stuff and she becomes my loyal knight or whatever, am I still gonna piss her off by joining Rosaria to respec?

It probably doesn't matter too much at that point but eh.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

the talisman one is actually like permanent hyper armor. i have never been knocked out of a talisman skill cast.
too bad the damage tradeoff for actually hitting one of the spells is loving useless/massively against your favor and 90% of people won't even try to challenge your slow as poo poo cast anyways

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

MrLonghair posted:

Grinding knights? Or did you do the level 100-120 work just sitting there waiting for a hit, wasting away in regret? :smith:

Look at what he's wearing on his head and take a guess.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

What if the Poise system "getting worse" from 1 to 2 to 3 is actually because Poise was bad in 1 and they decided Bloodborne had better combat than Dark Souls 1/2 rather than because they're dumb idiots who hosed it up really bad on accident

Then make it Bloodborne combat fully instead of half-assing it by watering down things into uselessness. Right now, the stat may as well not exist - why bother having it in the game in the first place, then?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Question: How many of you complaining about invasions are using smaller weapons that can't reliably hit multiple targets? They work in PvE with smart play but they are awful in multiman invasions.

Switch to a weapon with a wide swing arc and I guarantee you will suddenly find yourself winning more invasions.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Zand posted:

that's exactly why there's a giant tree in firelink that drops seeds as well as all sorts of items, armors, and weapons that mention things directly from it and multiple invaders directly out of that game

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Monomythian posted:

Invasions are NOT fightclubs, you are not there to bow and have a katanas at dawn duel.

It's really cute when people do that though. I just embered in the swamp to get Yellowfinger Heysel's stuff, and I'm immediately invaded by two guys while fighting him... they then bow to me and help me kill Heysel before murdering me :kimchi: Biggest feelgood moment of DS3.

In unrelated news, I think I've figured out what From tried to do with Titanite in this game. I've already complained that your supply of titanite in this game is incredibly limited, making it a bad idea to experiment with weapons until you're basically done with the game and you only seem to get the ability to buy shards/chunks after they're no longer useful... but it turns out that a huge amount of enemies actually have titanite on their drop tables. Almost every enemy from the High Wall to the swamp can drop Titanite Shards for example, they just made the drop rate infinitesimally small. With some number adjustments, they could fix it. :pray:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

MrLonghair posted:

Maybe I need to trade myself that rapier to break past 400 and try the grind again

I stayed around 100 my whole NG+ run with darkmoon equipped and never got a hit unfortunately

It's probably just my imagination but I think the knights might have higher drop rates on NG+ (I even got two in a row at one point) It wasn't really as bad as I was expecting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is there a secret or good method of getting the items on the lava floor? Does this game have the that ring from Dark Souls 1 where it reduces lava damage to basically nothing?