Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Mandals posted:

Unfortunately this. Apple likes to keep things clean, simple and contained. As much as I love the idea of a refreshed Thunderbolt monitor hub paired with an optional eGPU, I can see Apple thinking it makes the desktop look messy (too many wires!) and dropping the idea.

The Mac pro is literally this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Hey sorry to ask again but if that Polaris thing is true is that a huge deal?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Hed posted:

Current update was a little :effort: for what I want. I'd like to replace my 2013 MBA with something that is retina but 13". The 12" MacBook, for me, isn't that great of an option because I feel the jump to 13" is really big. Hopefully something needs suiting comes in June or I'll look back at the PC world I guess.

I'm in the same boat as you.... Hopefully Apple does not disappoint come June during their conference.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
Is the 5k iMac just a gimmick or something worth going for? I was considering just a 21 inch 4k iMac, but I've heard bad things about the integrated graphics and there's no option to go dedicated. Also, am I really going to have to submit to the Apple tax for storage and RAM options or is there any convenient way to swap those cheaper?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TopherCStone posted:

Is the 5k iMac just a gimmick or something worth going for? I was considering just a 21 inch 4k iMac, but I've heard bad things about the integrated graphics and there's no option to go dedicated. Also, am I really going to have to submit to the Apple tax for storage and RAM options or is there any convenient way to swap those cheaper?

There's an access panel on the back of the iMac 5K for memory. Just go to Crucial's web site to get exactly what kind you need and then buy it off Amazon.

Changing storage is a a pain in the rear end. I wouldn't recommend it.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+27-Inch+Retina+5K+Display+Hard+Drive+Replacement/30522

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The 5k iMac has the best display I've ever used in my life and will absolutely ruin every other computer you work with.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

TopherCStone posted:

Totally worth going for but do your research and be smart about what GPU/storage/CPU would work best for you. As it's been mentioned, RAM you can deal with on your own later and is better purchased separately.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Cross posting from the Laptop Megathread:

I just got a MacBook Pro from UGAmazing in SAMart and I was wondering the best place to buy a reliable RAM upgrade for it? It's my first Mac and I'm not sure if there's anything special about trying to get "Apple Certified" Ram or anything like that. I've read that this MacBook can go up to 16GB if you use properly specced RAM. I'm not sure finicky Macs are about user added hardware. Please go easy on me, it's my first time :blush: Thanks to anyone who can help.

MacBook details: MD101LL/A MacBook Pro, 2012, 13" Non Retina edition. The RAM's specs should be 1600MHz / PC12800.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Wamdoodle posted:

I just got a MacBook Pro from UGAmazing in SAMart and I was wondering the best place to buy a reliable RAM upgrade for it? It's my first Mac and I'm not sure if there's anything special about trying to get "Apple Certified" Ram or anything like that. I've read that this MacBook can go up to 16GB if you use properly specced RAM. I'm not sure finicky Macs are about user added hardware. Please go easy on me, it's my first time :blush: Thanks to anyone who can help.

MacBook details: MD101LL/A MacBook Pro, 2012, 13" Non Retina edition. The RAM's specs should be 1600MHz / PC12800.

Go to crucial.com and find the ram you need.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Wamdoodle posted:

Take those specs and go to Newegg and get the RAM there; can't miss with G.Skill or Patriot in my experience. Crucial is good but may be more expensive IMHO than what you want to pay for a lifetime warranty.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I have had good experiences with G.Skill and I THINK kingston.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Alright, cool. Thanks goons :)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Wamdoodle posted:

Amazon has Cruial 8gb sticks on sale for $26 with free same day delivery. Pick up two of those
http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-PC3-1...rds=crucial+8gb

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

flosofl posted:

There's an access panel on the back of the iMac 5K for memory. Just go to Crucial's web site to get exactly what kind you need and then buy it off Amazon.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+27-Inch+Retina+5K+Display+Hard+Drive+Replacement/30522

I had to replace the hard drive on my out of warranty iMac. I used that guide and dreaded every day I waited for the tools to show up.

Ended up taking like 30 minutes total and was really easy. Nice to have a 1TB SSD in there now too that didn't cost $600 dollars or whatever stupid price Apple sees fit to charge.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've always done Crucial too and never had a single issue.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
So let's say that the new rMBP gets announced during the WWDC 2016 on June 13th ~ 17th - based off past MBP releases, when do you think that they will be available for sale to the public? Is it usually instant or will there be a release date for some time in the future?

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
I work at a place that sells exclusively Hynix, Samsung, Elpida, Micron, and Nanya memory for Macs and while I am biased for those manufacturers, it is excruciating to have to deal with "why is this poo poo spec tech/kingston memory so much cheaper than your Samsung memory with a lifetime warranty?"

Yes, there is a difference in memory brands. No, it probably won't matter to you unless you are anal about memory tests and want to cut down a 20 hour rendering project by ten seconds.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
I find Macs are way more finicky about RAM choices even if you buy a spec that is known to be supported. These days I buy whatever Crucial recommends (or some other line with a targeted Mac SKU) and find the cheapest place for it.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

flosofl posted:

Good to hear that I can at least work with the RAM, thanks.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The 5k iMac has the best display I've ever used in my life and will absolutely ruin every other computer you work with.

Worth it imo

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Totally worth going for but do your research and be smart about what GPU/storage/CPU would work best for you. As it's been mentioned, RAM you can deal with on your own later and is better purchased separately.

Yep, definitely have to do a bit more research on configuration and on whether a Fusion drive will be sufficient.

benisntfunny posted:

I had to replace the hard drive on my out of warranty iMac. I used that guide and dreaded every day I waited for the tools to show up.

Ended up taking like 30 minutes total and was really easy. Nice to have a 1TB SSD in there now too that didn't cost $600 dollars or whatever stupid price Apple sees fit to charge.

Did you put a standard SSD in the hard drive area as opposed to buying an nVME drive (if the iMac even supports those)?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

TopherCStone posted:

Yep, definitely have to do a bit more research on configuration and on whether a Fusion drive will be sufficient.

Also look into the Apple refurb store if you want better specs/more storage for less money. Intel's CPUs haven't really changed much at all over the life of this particular product AFAIK but others could better speak about where it might/might not be worth it to go with a 2014 or 2015 refurb over brand new. Also, if you can wait they'll probably be refreshed before the end of 2016- the new features may be worth getting, but if they aren't everything current-gen and older gets a price cut.

In terms of warranty, fit and finish, and performance refurbs are practically impossible to differentiate from brand new machines, so you're ok on that front. You have a lot of options. There are good resources online and in this thread to help you pick the best computer for your needs and budget.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

TopherCStone posted:

Did you put a standard SSD in the hard drive area as opposed to buying an nVME drive (if the iMac even supports those)?
Standard drive with the thing from OWC to make sure it didn't cause my fan to flip its poo poo.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Just remember that if you get a fusion drive and later decide to install Windows, you'll have to put it on the hard drive, not the SSD.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Busy Bee posted:

So let's say that the new rMBP gets announced during the WWDC 2016 on June 13th ~ 17th - based off past MBP releases, when do you think that they will be available for sale to the public? Is it usually instant or will there be a release date for some time in the future?

It's usually a week or two later.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Also look into the Apple refurb store if you want better specs/more storage for less money. Intel's CPUs haven't really changed much at all over the life of this particular product AFAIK but others could better speak about where it might/might not be worth it to go with a 2014 or 2015 refurb over brand new. Also, if you can wait they'll probably be refreshed before the end of 2016- the new features may be worth getting, but if they aren't everything current-gen and older gets a price cut.

In terms of warranty, fit and finish, and performance refurbs are practically impossible to differentiate from brand new machines, so you're ok on that front. You have a lot of options. There are good resources online and in this thread to help you pick the best computer for your needs and budget.

Didn't they just get refreshed a few months ago? I have been scoping the refurbs, everything I've heard about them sounds pretty great.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

TopherCStone posted:

Didn't they just get refreshed a few months ago? I have been scoping the refurbs, everything I've heard about them sounds pretty great.

Yeah I think just at the end of fall. No guarantees that something won't happen at WWDC but it seems like one of the safer bets.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I feel like renting a larger than normal hall for the first day is some kind of admission that something's gonna happen, but who knows what.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

How the heck do I clean my trackpad? I caught an unflattering glimpse of it from a certain angle and saw that I've been building up quite the circle of oils and filth. I tried Windex and eyeglass cleaner, but they aren't cutting through the oils.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Isopropyl Alcohol.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
It doesn't seem to work on the shell that well, it just smears it around. I haven't tried it on the keys because I don't want to damage them, what should I use to clean them?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Dead Goon posted:

Isopropyl Alcohol.

Thanks! That worked perfectly.

Sinestro posted:

It doesn't seem to work on the shell that well, it just smears it around. I haven't tried it on the keys because I don't want to damage them, what should I use to clean them?

I actually just ended up wiping down everything else (sans screen) with the same paper towel dampened with the alcohol, and that worked well, but nothing else was really dirty. Minor grease on keys and wrist/palm areas.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

wdarkk posted:

I feel like renting a larger than normal hall for the first day is some kind of admission that something's gonna happen, but who knows what.

Nah, known Apple announcements have been popular enough that they've had to raffle seats to bidders for years now.

The events have, in general, been getting bigger and more popular and demand has increased in turn.

enojy posted:

I tried Windex and eyeglass cleaner, but they aren't cutting through the oils.

Careful that you don't get any of those solvents on your display. They'll strip the coatings and cause streaking or coloration if you're careless.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Always get the 99% Isopropyl and clean all your poo poo with it. I got a Datavac electric duster and it's awesome.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Half the time you don't even need iso. Just a very lightly damp microfiber will remove any body oils, etc, that you monkeys get all over everything.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

mediaphage posted:

Half the time you don't even need iso. Just a very lightly damp microfiber will remove any body oils, etc, that you monkeys get all over everything.

Jizz, it's jizz.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
So has anyone seen a USB-C only hub? I just bought a new MacBook and I would prefer to just get new USB-C accessories rather than trying to use my old ones.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

:vince:

~that's mayonnaise bro I don't know what you're talking about~

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Has anyone here used the Macbook for any sort of ~*real work*~? I use a 2015 13" Macbook Pro for some programming work, and while it is amazing, I'm pretty much in love with the form factor and keyboard on the new Macbook, I'm just concerned it'll be a dog in Eclipse/Xcode.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
How good is the new MacBook. I literally just like to open lots of tabs and do stuff in word/final draft. Is it gonna struggle at all? I was gonna wait for a new pro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I'll know on Wednesday. I have the m7/8gb/256gb model on the way.