Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

we already had a bunch of passive aggressive sniping about how if the crowdfunding episodes are good or not, how about we all keep it in our respective pants until another one gets recorded?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Is there something wrong with talking about an F Plus episode in the F Plus thread?

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

not if you want to be talked down to, no.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I am genuinely offended that a system exists to give money to that Modest Medusa guy.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I am genuinely offended that a system exists to give money to that Modest Medusa guy.

Saaaaaame

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Knowing he's making a profit is good news for people who love bad news.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

He has spent a lot of time to be the rear end he is but I'm pretty drat sure that anyone can equally easily gently caress you over.

e:

watho posted:

Yeah, not sure how they could let such a detail just Float On by.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I liked the guys whose rewards included a thank you note written by his mother but signed by him.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

did anyone else laugh really super loving hard when lemon retracted Flattr because it was loving worthless and nobody gave a poo poo about it

especially because at the same time this was happening

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

Alaois posted:

did anyone else laugh really super loving hard when lemon retracted Flattr because it was loving worthless and nobody gave a poo poo about it

especially because at the same time this was happening

I don't get it. What does UYD and their Patreon have to do with anything? (Note: I got burnt out on UYD and haven't listened in at least a year and a half and I don't know what's going on with them these days. Looks like they're doing good though. $9000 a month for a podcast about two dudes bullshitting? Good lord.)

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

HoAssHo posted:

I don't get it. What does UYD and their Patreon have to do with anything? (Note: I got burnt out on UYD and haven't listened in at least a year and a half and I don't know what's going on with them these days. Looks like they're doing good though. $9000 a month for a podcast about two dudes bullshitting? Good lord.)
Yes, what does one podcast's crowdfunding platform have to do with another podcast's crowdfunding platform? It's such a mystery why anyone would compare these completely disparate things, which have no connection between each other.

I mean, it would be really crazy if one of these podcasts shat on the other's crowdfunding platform but ended up getting sub-vending-machine change out of theirs while the other rakes in a used car's worth every month, but I don't believe that's happened.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Apr 23, 2016

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Yes, what does one podcast's crowdfunding platform have to do with another podcast's crowdfunding platform? It's such a mystery why anyone would compare these completely disparate things, which have no connection between each other.

I mean, it would be really crazy if one of these podcasts shat on the other's crowdfunding platform but ended up getting sub-vending-machine change out of theirs while the other rakes in a used car's worth every month, but I don't believe that's happened.

It wasn't super clear what he meant because he was talking about Flattr and then brought up UYD's Patreon. I get the connection now.

I'm not sure why you have to be such a smug loving rear end in a top hat about it though.

edit: I didn't even really know what Flattr was until I looked it up right now. I thought it was just "liking" something. I didn't know it was a crowd-funding thing. My bad.

HoAssHo fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Apr 23, 2016

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
You're right. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be such a dick; I was actually about to edit out that worthless "such a mystery" line and probably tone down the rest, but it looks like I missed the chance.

It's late, and I've had an awful week, and my sloppy writing turned snarky thoughts into a borderline spiteful post. Again, I'm sorry.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Apr 23, 2016

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

RyokoTK posted:

Are they really justified for getting angry about it though?

Yes they are. Look up Jake Richmond's garbage and tell me that him getting $800 a month for that poo poo isn't a crime. Maybe not a major crime in the grand scheme of things, but it's still really loving infuriating.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

loving THANK YOU.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Sham bam bamina! posted:

You're right. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be such a dick; I was actually about to edit out that worthless "such a mystery line" and probably tone down the rest, but it looks like I missed the chance.

It's late, and I've had an awful week, and my sloppy writing turned snarky thoughts into a borderline spiteful post. Again, I'm sorry.

That's cool of you, thanks. I've had a poo poo week too and it's made me kind of dumb. Lack of sleep has made me misunderstand several posts this week.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Huh, I couldn't even apologize without loving up those quote marks.

There's my cue to go to bed.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Flattr: it's bitcoin without bitcoin!

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

At the risk of stirring up poo poo around that patreon episode, I think what got to portaxx and therefore kind of infected the tone of the whole episode is just the general internet thing of people flocking to things that even slightly resemble opportunities where you can make money. A lot of patreon is people who legitimately deserve to be getting money for what they're providing because their stuff is amazing, like *insert your favorite content creator here*, but because it's the internet once people see a way to make easy money by catering to niche communities (or sometimes just trying to be the first to cater to a community at all) the vocal minority tends to spoil the entire deal for people who might actually need/deserve it. It kind of killed the line between "hey I'm making this webcomic, donate through this platform that's getting popular if you want" and "loving bootstraps bithc" and didn't bother to clarify between the two.

Like, the whole theme of ripping off people and scams make up my favorite episodes of this podcast but the reason the patreon episode falls a bit flat is because it feels kinda personal instead of being "hey look at these stupid people, let's read the dumb poo poo they're talking about".

This post is mostly just an excuse to plug Charles Mackay's Memoir of Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds (which you can get a free version of from that link), which is basically a book explaining how and containing examples of just why anyone would believe anyone would possibly believe putting a pyramid over a bowl of fruit would help it to spoil slightly slower. I think I originally found it through one of the bitcoin threads here but if you have even a passing interest in the subject I'd recommend leafing through it, it gives a lot of context as to how easy it is for people to get swept up in things.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

The best crowdfunding episode is GoFundMe. It's because I'm responsible for part of it, goodbye.

Edit: that looks like a really interesting read, I like reading about quackery in the past and if anybody else does, they should read Martin Gardener's Fads and Fallacies in the Name of Science

A Meat fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Apr 23, 2016

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
On the note of funding websites, anyone have any forums to check out for Financial Dominatrix content? Throwing away money and insane sex replacements are good pillars for docs, so we might as well combine the two.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Kicking the beehive: I think what got to me about the patreon episode is that the subjects weren't actually that bad, or at least the first few weren't, and by the time it got a little better, the episode had already left a bad taste in my ears. In a podcast of terrible PUAs, people who think their food contains mormon blood and semen, insane hyperperverts sticking dragon dicks up their butts and more awful/crazy people, the patreon episode just felt like they were making fun of people who wanted to make a bit of money back off their bad webcomics and poo poo. The content just wasn't very good.

I'm relistening to it now and it sounds an awful lot like a bunch of old people shouting "get a real job like I did" and trying their best to sound angry at things which don't really induce much anger.

The other crowdfunding documents have the gamer's hip clip and the ironing board you can gently caress, but patreon is just lovely webcomics.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

MooCowlian posted:

I'm relistening to it now and it sounds an awful lot like a bunch of old people shouting "get a real job like I did"

Portax all but said this.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I liked the patreon episode much more than any recipe episodes.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Rumda posted:

Portax all but said this.

I actually wonder if Portaxx is just mad that she never thought of it.

The thing about Patreon is that, especially when you're talking about visual art, there's not exactly a scam involved. It's not like Kickstarter where you give me fifty bucks now and eventually might get a thing, and that thing may or may not be the thing I sold you on. It's, here's a copy of my webcomic, every time I make more webcomics like this you give me a dollar, okay? So the people buying in are pretty aware of what they're supporting. And so far as I'm aware, you can retract your continued support on Patreon if you later decide the artist isn't holding up to their end of the deal.

I really just think Portaxx's attitude is wrong -- if you want to make a living being an artist, why shouldn't you at least try? It's not like professional animation is the One True Career for people that know how to draw. WRT that Jake Richmond guy: first of all, his comic is kinda bad but I've seen quite a lot worse from people that get paid way more. Also, $800 a month is decent money for what started as a hobby but he's still gonna have to find another source of income around that because $9600/year isn't exactly paying the bills. So the guy probably still has a "real job" to pay the bills but he's doing his art anyway and building up a fanbase that wants to support him. Maybe I just don't get what's wrong with that but it seems to me like he's working just as hard as any other professional artist to get where he wants.

If you want something to actually be angry about, you can always find out that Known Piece of poo poo Adam4D makes $3800/month on Patreon for making a hateful, misogynist Christian ripoff of The Oatmeal.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Apr 23, 2016

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Patreon is such an unqualified force for good in the world in my experience that I can't even begin to sympathize with the opinions expressed in that episode but if nothing else they really should've just stuck to making fun of the actual things/people the pages were for and maybe skipped the part where they pass judgment on what they think is or is not acceptable to ask for money for. Regardless of whether you agree that it was gross, it just wasn't as funny as simply laughing at the subject matter.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

HMS Boromir posted:

Patreon is such an unqualified force for good in the world

lol

I agree the readers, predominantly Portaxx, have been obnoxious about trying to get the Patreon people to feel ashamed, but really, no need to pretend that it's a noble institution.

RyokoTK posted:

I actually wonder if Portaxx is just mad that she never thought of it.

My impression as well.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I entirely get what their problems are (although I disagree), but apart from anything else, the episode just isn't very funny. They're trying to force anger and humour out of content that doesn't really provide much fuel for either, and the episode just ends up sounding really forced in some places and spiteful in the other. The subjects in the episode aren't disgusting or bizarre or actively harmful, they're just mediocre in every possible way.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

steinrokkan posted:

I agree the readers, predominantly Portaxx, have been obnoxious about trying to get the Patreon people to feel ashamed, but really, no need to pretend that it's a noble institution.

I don't know anything about the people who run Patreon so I make no claims about the site's intentions or policies, but I listen to a lot of podcasts that have Patreons and it's allowed them to be easily rewarded for their work while simultaneously improving it and offering more of it to people who like it enough to pay for it. And it's cut down on how many times I have to hear about Audible. I stand by what I said - it's done nothing but good from where I'm standing.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HMS Boromir posted:

I don't know anything about the people who run Patreon so I make no claims about the site's intentions or policies, but I listen to a lot of podcasts that have Patreons and it's allowed them to be easily rewarded for their work while simultaneously improving it and offering more of it to people who like it enough to pay for it. And it's cut down on how many times I have to hear about Audible. I stand by what I said - it's done nothing but good from where I'm standing.

This might just be the worst possible defense of Patreon I've ever read.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

if the idea of people paying creators they like upsets you, you might as well get mad at the concept of money.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I, too, support the idea that people who produce content that other people enjoy should be able to earn some money off of that content. Patreon provides a platform to aid that. Ideally, the content producers would then be able to use that money to get more time or equipment to improve their work, but it is also acceptable for them to spend it on beer or rent or dragon dildos if they wish, in my opinion.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

MooCowlian posted:

I, too, support the idea that people who produce content that other people enjoy should be able to earn some money off of that content. Patreon provides a platform to aid that. Ideally, the content producers would then be able to use that money to get more time or equipment to improve their work, but it is also acceptable for them to spend it on beer or rent or dragon dildos if they wish, in my opinion.

I read your post wrong and for a second I thought there was a dragon dildo rental service and now I can't get the thought out of my head

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
"I've got a new app, it's the Uber of dragon dildos!"

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Kickstart that business.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If you guys promise to pay to my Patreon, I'll start a kickstarter for a podcast that makes fun of squarespace, tia.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

how many dollars a month do i have to give you to stop posting

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

It led to the Travis Bickle On The Riviera Best Sports Movie Bracket episode so that makes it worthwhile.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

EmmyOk posted:

I liked the patreon episode much more than any recipe episodes.

"To Serve Otherkin" is one of the best episodes imo so I dispute your liking of the Patreon episode.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The tumblr ones never really do much for me because those are the ones where it's most obvious that the subjects are just doofus teenagers and as such it comes off as a little mean.

I love the Dozerfleet one though, so I guess I'm a hypocrite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

I Before E posted:

The tumblr ones never really do much for me because those are the ones where it's most obvious that the subjects are just doofus teenagers and as such it comes off as a little mean.

I love the Dozerfleet one though, so I guess I'm a hypocrite.
The Dozerfleet Founder is 33.

And if you write off the headmate episode as "mean" because it's about teenagers, do you do the same with School Survival?

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 23, 2016