Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Lucas bad man, hate movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Visual effects supervisor Coleman on Grievous: "From an animation point, it was very difficult to figure out what to do with the other arms. Truthfully, if you had 4 lightsabers you should be able to overwhelm somebody with 1. Even if you have 2 lightsabers holding back his single, you still have two lightsabers available to slice him apart, but, uh, but Grievous is never able to achieve that..."

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

They're clearly not trash. Maybe you're misremembering and you're actually thinking of Deuce Bigalow?
You can keep telling yourself that but the evidence is in my favor. They might be the most inept mainstream movies in history and your sad devotion to nostalgia can't change that. We've had lengthy discussions as to why they fail in this very thread.

Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Well now you're just complaining.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
This Is Dumb And Makes No Sense But I'm At My Dream Job So I'll Shut Up: The Apparatchiks At Skywalker Ranch Story

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Tezzor posted:

This Is Dumb And Makes No Sense But I'm At My Dream Job So I'll Shut Up: The Apparatchiks At Skywalker Ranch Story

Hell, I hate my job, but even I know to shut up when stuff makes no sense.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Yaws posted:

You can keep telling yourself that but the evidence is in my favor. They might be the most inept mainstream movies in history and your sad devotion to nostalgia can't change that. We've had lengthy discussions as to why they fail in this very thread.

Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

I hope I never get this smug over not liking some movies.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Why would Qui Gon bring an underwater breathing device to a diplomatic meeting on a spaceship

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Jedi are heavily attuned to a manifestation of the will of the author known as The Force.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Maybe it's part of his daily loadout along with his razr, waterproof matches and 9mm he keeps in his utilikilt and/or tactical jorts

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

My reading off the movie is that it's a rather hollow story about fighting a fascist insurgency.

Your reading is that it's about "the new generation decisively trouncing old-generation ideas and tactics" where "Conservatives blow up the liberal-controlled white house, then the leftists usurp the conservatives" and breaking "out of the murderous civil war re-enactment group".

That is to say, you're saying that TFA is about fighting a bunch of Republicans cosplaying as Nazis.

You're beginning to convince me that TFA is really dumb.

You already thought TFA was dumb to begin with. You wouldn't be this purposefully obtuse for so long if you didn't. No amount of interesting readings or positive opinions will change your desire for a WW2 movie about a child slave and indian junk market dealer, or whatever that intentionally bizarre reading was.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Why can't Darth Maul just use the force to detect Obi Wan and Qui Gon. Why the drones? He could show up when obi wan is taking a dump and kill the decoy and all the pilots, then leave. He wouldn't know there's a decoy. Instead he does fuckall the whole time. Why does Obi Wan need to defend the ship anyway? The Sith have been dead for 1000 years. Surely the 20 pilots you picked up could handle that job

Couldn't they just keep the current chancellor when Padme suggests the vote of no confidence. Does anyone even care about Naboo that much especially if he's already got the support of the corrupt Senate

Padawan Obi Wan has 2 ponytails, not just one. Character design by Rob Liefeld

Tezzor fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 23, 2016

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
"Yousa in big doodoo dis time" guy says that someone destroyed the droid control ship so the Gungans won. How could he possibly know that

Tezzor fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 23, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Neurolimal posted:

No amount of interesting readings or positive opinions will change your desire for a WW2 movie about a child slave and indian junk market dealer, or whatever that intentionally bizarre reading was.

I've described the plot of the movie. It's not a bizarre reading in anyway. There is no way getting around the fact that Finn is a slave soldier and that Rey is a junk scavenger outside of the developed world, and that the movie involves them escaping and fighting a fascist insurgency that wants to wipe out a religion. If you can't accept these basic descriptions of plot and characters, you're simply being willfully ignorant.

The reason you have a hard time accepting the plot summary is because it conflicts on a fundamental level with your reading of the movie, according to which it's about leftist Millenials fighting conservatives. I'm sad to say that it's a misreading, and thus not an interesting, positive reading of TFA.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 23, 2016

Serf
May 5, 2011

I have yet to see a Star Wars movie I didn't like.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
*checks thread*

"Oh, over 200 new posts since last night! Was there a title announcement? A huge leak?"

*reads thread*

"Oh. Ohhhhhhhhh."

:cripes:

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Obi Wan cannot possibly see where Qui Gon's lightsaber is from the angle of hanging 20 feet down a hole. Maul stands there like an idiot

Why does Qui Gon die so quickly from being stabbed in the upper stomach by a thing that does not cause bleeding. Even if it did cause bleeding, because lightsabers are inconsistent, there's no blood on the ground and even if there was he probably wouldn't have died that quickly

Why train Anakin when you already predict grave danger. If you're going to do it, why give him to green as goose poo poo Obi Wan instead of Mace or Conehead Man

Always two there are, master and apprentice. Stupid idea, contradicted later, makes no sense. Why take an apprentice at all if one of you is going to kill the other? When Maul died did Dooku instantly become evil? After Dooku died there was a period when there was one. In the clone wars cartoon there are at least five active Sith at one point: Sidious, Tyrannus, Maul, Oppress, Ventress., His Passion Project

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Serf posted:

I wish I hadnt seen the prequels too

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Serf posted:

Same. I love them all.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Neurolimal posted:

You already thought TFA was dumb to begin with. You wouldn't be this purposefully obtuse for so long if you didn't. No amount of interesting readings or positive opinions will change your desire for a WW2 movie about a child slave and indian junk market dealer, or whatever that intentionally bizarre reading was.

You are getting mixed up between allegory and applicability, as in Tolkein's old distinction.

Rudimentary/generic concepts like 'friendship' are indeed applicable to "Millenials" because "Millenials" like to have friends on Facebook or whatever. But that is because they are applicable to pretty much everybody. Even the brainwashed stormtroopers chat about stuff.

However, you have made the erroneous conclusion that TFA is, say, about a specific form of 'Millenial Friendship' and the power of Facebook to bring us together or whatever. When Rey makes a wool doll, it's a metaphor for Etsy. "Millenials" like Rey therefore Rey is a "Millenial", and so on. That's where things become bullshit.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 23, 2016

Serf
May 5, 2011

Tezzor posted:

I wish I hadnt seen the prequels too

I only haven't seen the ewok movies and the Christmas special. I think I'm happy with my choices. You should watch the prequels again, they're pretty great.

euphronius posted:

Same. I love them all.

:hf:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

I've described the plot of the movie. It's not a bizarre reading in anyway. There is no way getting around the fact that Finn is a slave soldier and that Rey is a junk scavenger outside of the developed world, and that the movie involves them escaping and fighting a fascist insurgency that wants to wipe out a religion. If you can't accept these basic descriptions of plot and characters, you're simply being willfully ignorant.

The reason you have a hard time accepting the plot summary is because it conflicts on a fundamental level with your reading of the movie, according to which it's about leftist Millenials fighting conservatives. I'm sad to say that it's a misreading, and thus not an interesting, positive reading of TFA.

I'm sorry that you can only enjoy World War 2 movies.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Serf posted:

I only haven't seen the ewok movies and the Christmas special. I think I'm happy with my choices. You should watch the prequels again, they're pretty great.

I did. They are terrible in every way

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Neurolimal posted:

I'm sorry that you can only enjoy World War 2 movies.

This is the point where you just wall up, isn't it.

The movie can appeal to Millenial frustrations without being about Millenials.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

This is the point where you just wall up, isn't it.

everything that's needed to be said has been said. if we keep this going you're just going to continue to misinterpret and stubbornly refuse to consider readings that make the film good. Go watch Schindler's List.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Readings don't determine a film's quality.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Neurolimal posted:

everything that's needed to be said has been said. if we keep this going you're just going to continue to misinterpret and stubbornly refuse to consider readings that make the film good. Go watch Schindler's List.

Again, you've put up walls and refuse to discuss the movie, in a thread to discuss the movie. Did you realise there's no arguing the plot summary? You're not being at all critical about the movie. You need to look at your reading and consider if it's workable when it conflicts with the basic plot summary.

The movie isn't even bad. It's competent, but an unimaginative retread. I may give an impression that I absolute hate it, but I dislike more what it represents than the movie itself. If you like it, you don't really need to justify it with readings like that. You can just like it in spite of its faults.

e: Also, the fact that it's not about Millenials doesn't mean it can't appeal to Millenials

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Apr 23, 2016

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Serf posted:

euphronius posted:

Same. I love them all.

me too!
the kind of hate guys like this Tezzor have for the PT is pretty crazy

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Kly posted:

me too! the kind of hate guys like this Tezzor have for the PT is pretty crazy

It's called having taste

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

i can get not liking them but the kind of hate you seem to have for them is pretty wild

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Neurolimal posted:

everything that's needed to be said has been said. if we keep this going you're just going to continue to misinterpret and stubbornly refuse to consider readings that make the film good.
That's really not how it works.

In order to be accepted, your interpretation must be 'stronger' in the specific sense of incorporating the most textual evidence, coherently. You need a firm philosophical basis for what you are saying.

That is why truth and accuracy are vital. Your partisan celebration of liberal "Millenials" is false when we contrast it with the truth of class struggle and Christ's lesson of love for the Neighbour - e.g. the scavengers who are left on the dirt planet, and the Stormtroopers that are slaughtered en masse. My interpretation of all the films - including TFA - is redemptive in a specifically Christian sense. Yours is not.

Even if we go into particulars, you haven't any explanation for what the reptar tentacle-monsters have to do with "Millenialism" - why one "Millenial" can freeze bullets, and so-on. Have you written anything about the science-fiction aspects of the setting?

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 23, 2016

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Kly posted:

i can get not liking them but the kind of hate you seem to have for them is pretty wild

Do you hate it when someone lies right to your face because that is this thread

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Kly posted:

It's all in good fun brah

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Phylodox posted:

I heard they had to nail his shoes to the ground to make sure he didn't move because the clearance between his head and the window frame was less than two inches.
Yeah I recall hearing something like that too. Supposedly the cameraman was so scared by the stunt that he was certain he was about to film Buster Keaton accidentally killing himself.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Tezzor posted:

Do you hate it when someone lies right to your face

Not about a movie

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Tezzor posted:

Could you rephrase this in the form of a bunch of letters cut out from magazines

This seems like a fraught thing to say for someone who's just spent an entire day ranting about a director's machinations or lack thereof.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Yaws posted:

It's all in good fun brah

Not really, no.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MonsieurChoc posted:

Oh no, Tezzor is back.

People who hate the prequels and think them some kind of cinematic abomination are all insane. Not liking them, sure. Even people who like the prequels think they're flawed movies. But hating them? Thinking of them as some fo the worse movies ever? No. Not in a universe where Adam Sandler and Rob Schneider exists.

I mean, it's been loving 17 years. Can't you jsut go "Welp, they disappointed me, weren't what I want." and loving move on with your life?

I mean, it goes both ways too. This thread is 90% about the prequels. There's more to Star Wars than just those 3 movies. Can't we talk about any other Star War? There are at least 4 more movies besides them :D

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Tezzor posted:

It's called having taste

That's not really how taste works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I saw TFA twice in the theater, and I've seen it 1.5 times since the blu-ray came out. I've enjoyed it less each time to the point where I've gone from "fun but flawed and kind of empty" to just straight up "not very good". There's stuff in it that just grinds on me the more I see it, indulgent callbacks that exceed the level of pandering that people complain about in the PT (the "no, it was 12 parsecs!" being the worst offender, followed closely by Finn waving Obi-Wan's laser orb in front of the camera). The way that Finn and Rey just stumble onto the the Falcon, and then just run into Han Solo is incredibly lazy writing. Maybe it made more sense before Harrison Ford got hurt and they had to change the script.

Somebody was talking about re-shoots a few pages back- is it possible that the search for Luke Skywalker subplot was added completely in post? If you changed the opening scroll and just assumed that it's the plans to Starkiller that Max Von Sydow gives Poe in the beginning, how much changes? Most of the dialogue doesn't even reference Luke explicitly.

• Locked thread