Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I never understood why they didn't tie building style into the district system. That's the sort of thing it's for!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Elukka posted:

I never understood why they didn't tie building style into the district system. That's the sort of thing it's for!

I think basically everyone uses a mod for this. The default building styles tool thing is bad, the mod (that I believe came out first) is way more functional and has a better interface too some how.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Maybe they could increase the normal building size beyond 4x4? Or better integrate big ploppables?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Fish Fry Andy posted:

You can change a map's theme and building style with mods.
You can do that? I thought you had to get three versions of the same map. :saddowns:

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.
Another thing that bothers me is that there are no real organic parking areas in the game; in Europe a lot of parking goes on the inside of a city block, while in America there's giant lots for virtually every store and many restaurants. Cars just vanish when they reach their destination.

It would be cool to have to manage parking because cities with more public transit can use the parking space for parks and pedestrian areas, or just higher density development in general. Would fit well with the theme of the game.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Mystic_Shadow posted:

Another thing that bothers me is that there are no real organic parking areas in the game; in Europe a lot of parking goes on the inside of a city block, while in America there's giant lots for virtually every store and many restaurants. Cars just vanish when they reach their destination.

It would be cool to have to manage parking because cities with more public transit can use the parking space for parks and pedestrian areas, or just higher density development in general. Would fit well with the theme of the game.

This. Though I shudder at the thought of a busy parking lot emptying out all at once.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Mystic_Shadow posted:

It's not exactly what you're asking for but there are a ton of parking lot assets on the workshop. Can help make downtown or shopping areas look a lot more realistic.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Count Roland posted:

Maybe they could increase the normal building size beyond 4x4? Or better integrate big ploppables?
I really wish they'd allow bigger growables. The current system is alright for commercial and residential (not that bigger buildings would hurt them) but really suffers for industrial areas. Industrial buildings are big. You can't really make any sort of good looking industrial or agricultural area with the current system, besides ploppables I guess.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Mystic_Shadow posted:

Unfortunately from what I understand this would absolutely murder performance. The guy doing the Rush Hour mod was looking into removing pocket cars a month or two ago and I don't think he got anywhere with it.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Poil posted:

You can do that? I thought you had to get three versions of the same map. :saddowns:

You can even do multiple building styles within a single map, awesome feature that destroys loading times.

Also, Rush Hour at least makes parking lots full most of the time, even if it's just cosmetic. The lots in the above pic are empty because people are still at work, but they'll all fill up for the night.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Elukka posted:

I really wish they'd allow bigger growables. The current system is alright for commercial and residential (not that bigger buildings would hurt them) but really suffers for industrial areas. Industrial buildings are big. You can't really make any sort of good looking industrial or agricultural area with the current system, besides ploppables I guess.

Yeah its industrial stuff I have in mind here. I want my sprawling manufacturing and chemical processing areas, dammit.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Friction posted:

You can even do multiple building styles within a single map, awesome feature that destroys loading times.

Also, Rush Hour at least makes parking lots full most of the time, even if it's just cosmetic. The lots in the above pic are empty because people are still at work, but they'll all fill up for the night.

this is spectacular. what's the hexagonal tower in the middle there?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Friction posted:

That's so much better than the default look.

To be honest I don't even give a rotten game disc about agents needing to find a parking space or anything. It's just a pointless drain on the computer for a very small benefit. Hell I don't even like the agents in the first place. Just give me a simulation that can fake it good enough. I don't really need every cim in the city to have to path through the mess hogging system resources as they go for their driving, biking and massive blobs at the bus stops. But that's just my personal preference because I like building large cities and my computer can't handle it. :shobon:

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Metrication posted:

this is spectacular. what's the hexagonal tower in the middle there?

Söder Torn, an actual building in Sweden. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=419436914

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
Some more from the Mayotte map:

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Unfortunately from what I understand this would absolutely murder performance. The guy doing the Rush Hour mod was looking into removing pocket cars a month or two ago and I don't think he got anywhere with it.

:( From what I gather that's also why the scale of the maps is so small. At least I can take comfort in knowing that in 10 years, with the increase in computing power, city-building simulators are going to be pretty fuckin' sweet.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Dunno about that, we're bumping into the limits of Moore's Law, so until quantum computing becomes accessible...

You could probably simulate a big city if you didn't have to worry about things like, I dunno, graphics, but you'd probably then want to use the graphics card to take up some of the CPU's work.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Mystic_Shadow posted:

:( From what I gather that's also why the scale of the maps is so small. At least I can take comfort in knowing that in 10 years, with the increase in computing power, city-building simulators are going to be pretty fuckin' sweet.

Or we could have a repeat and this ends up being the only decent city builder released for like a decade (as was the case with SC4).

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Rent some amazon cloud servers and devote multiple cores per lot on the map.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wonder how well multithreaded the game's simulator is. Hypothetically, something like this could really take advantage of more and more cores in the future as home processors go that way.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 23, 2016

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

The Deadly Hume posted:

Dunno about that, we're bumping into the limits of Moore's Law, so until quantum computing becomes accessible...

You could probably simulate a big city if you didn't have to worry about things like, I dunno, graphics, but you'd probably then want to use the graphics card to take up some of the CPU's work.

With all the rogue likes and mine craft clones with pixel art, you'd think someone would build a Simcity 2000-like that's light on graphics and heavy on gameplay. Something like Stardew Valley but for city builders...

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mandalay posted:

With all the rogue likes and mine craft clones with pixel art, you'd think someone would build a Simcity 2000-like that's light on graphics and heavy on gameplay. Something like Stardew Valley but for city builders...

Except the graphics are really the easy bit to program. The sim is the hideously complex part.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Especially as we all have a big-rear end graphics brick in our computers to deal with it. You could use some of the GPU's capabilities for some types of processing, but I doubt it would result in a massive advantage.

Might as well have nice graphics.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

MikeJF posted:

I wonder how well multithreaded the game's simulator is. Hypothetically, something like this could really take advantage of more and more cores in the future as home processors go that way.

It's not as multithreaded as one might imagine. Apparently the major threads are main game logic, pathfinding, audio and water (yes).

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I vaguely remember this conversation from 2014ish Dwarf Fortress and the consensus was that multithreaded pathfinding was capital H hard.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

bitcoin bastard posted:

I vaguely remember this conversation from 2014ish Dwarf Fortress and the consensus was that multithreaded pathfinding was capital H hard.

Mulithreading anything in Dwarf Fortress would be capital I Impossible due to the fact that dwarf fortress is a clusterfuck of non-functionalised code written by someone who literally did not know how to program at the start which makes Notch's notorious minecraft code seem like loving machine Mozart. If you wanted to multithread, you'd have to have a reasonably well-structured codebase.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

bitcoin bastard posted:

Yeah true multithreading is hard as gently caress

Just as programmers had to manage memory in the program itself (does anyone remember memory leaks?) and that was solved with garbage collectors (Java) and automatic memory allocation (.net and pretty much everything thereafteR),

There's a new breed of languages that make computing on multiple cores/threads much easier, one is Go by Google, they offer goroutines (coroutines) that the processes and threads are fully managed by the programming language and generally pretty loving hard to dead lock. Go's primary purpose in life is to allow psuedo-multi-threaded apps with a very, very low barrier to entry.

The other one is a new language by Mozilla (of Firefox) called Rust and is totally, truly multi-threaded and designed to make multi-threaded processing completely safe and more easy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_(programming_language)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rust_(programming_language)

Rust just hit 1.0 a year ago and is still pretty wet behind the ears, Go (golang) hit 1.0 about four years ago and finally hit 1.5 last fall and is pretty mature now (but bad for writing game engines in due to the lack of libraries right now)

More languages designed around bringing multi-threaded programming to the masses will happen, but it'll take time. France-sized country simulators with granularity down to the people/car level that run on your 32 or 64 core PC are probably a decade out, and you'll still have to pay through the nose for that kind of hardware, as was pointed out we've basically hit the physical limitations of copper in silicon, and a square inch of the stuff is very expensive, and you need 3-4 square inches for something to handle that kind of computational power.

But yeah writing multi-threaded C++ is basically a fool's errand unless you're a top 3% software engineer. And Unity is written in C#, which is basically Microsoft Java which isn't well suited for massive multithreading.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Apr 23, 2016

Lord Banana
Nov 23, 2006
Is there a working traffic manager mod? The ones I have seem to cause error messages now, so I can't design my own intersections!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Elukka posted:

They're not giant car manufacturing complexes, but the industrial growables work pretty well when you assume any sort of theoretical company would own the whole block. I'm more familiar with the hodge podge of buildings industrial setting instead of the monolithic sites, especially within city limits.

Friction posted:

It's not as multithreaded as one might imagine. Apparently the major threads are main game logic, pathfinding, audio and water (yes).
You say that like it's not the pathfinding (and poop water torture, actually) that kills framerate.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
This is such a wonderful game, the city building game the genre so desperately needed. I still remember the Sim City Thread where it was just nothing but despair and Maxis never apologizing about that horrible, limited, online-only, lovely borefest that always autosaved.

It's a shame that Cities destroys my processor once I hit about 100,000 people. Otherwise, this is a great game to just take it easy, drink or two minimum game, letting your imagination dictate the look and size of your city. Oooh, Okay, I got some space here, I want to make a series of Apartment complexes here to meet the demand of the commercial and office district I just placed there, I'll name it the Belmont District, time to break out of my shell and make some curved roads and add some roads here and add some parks...

I just get lost in the game, it's great stuff. I haven't even bought the DLC or anything, and now that I think about it, one of my best cities has nothing but Solar power, I don't think that poo poo is gonna fly anymore now that time exists.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fargin Icehole posted:

I just get lost in the game, it's great stuff. I haven't even bought the DLC or anything, and now that I think about it, one of my best cities has nothing but Solar power, I don't think that poo poo is gonna fly anymore now that time exists.

They really should've added a load balancing/power storage plant with After Dark.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

zedprime posted:

They're not giant car manufacturing complexes, but the industrial growables work pretty well when you assume any sort of theoretical company would own the whole block. I'm more familiar with the hodge podge of buildings industrial setting instead of the monolithic sites, especially within city limits.
I'm not just thinking of gigantic factory complexes. My real life town of about 40k people has the type of small hodge-podge industry you talk about and you can still immediately tell which zones are industrial from Google Earth:

Much of the residential areas are apartments too.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I cleared out all my mods and poo poo since I haven't played cities in a good 6 months or more. Went to subscribe to a bunch of stuff that looked good, but I was still getting weird errors trying to play the game so I deleted my local game files and redownloaded. Now it shows that I'm subscribed to stuff in the workshop but none of the mods or assets actually show up in game. I've tried unsubscribing and resubscribing to the workshop items but they still don't show up. What gives?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
had some time today to play and take screenshots

just an overview from the near-edge

small farming community

biggest roundabout is actually outside of the main city

view from the west side of the bay

overview of the "old" city

main transport hub

tunnel to the north side of the city

layout of the main city

more images here:
https://imgur.com/a/qUXcg

Lain Iwakura fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Apr 24, 2016

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Ofaloaf posted:

Current effort: Making a town of Americana.

Problem is, there isn't much in the way of growable hi-res commercial on the workshop that fits that early-to-mid 20th century vibe, skyscrapers aside (and even then, not many of those are growable). The downtown area looks much more European than I'd like. :/

Oh cool, it's wayward pines.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

OSI bean dip posted:

main transport hub

Tell me about that building there at the top. The long barn. Is that a train station?

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Tell me about that building there at the top. The long barn. Is that a train station?

It's a train station, this one:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=512697107

To get all the tracks working you will need this:
http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=532863263

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

OSI bean dip posted:

had some time today to play and take screenshots

That is great, looks really nice. What map is that? I really like it.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

James The 1st posted:

That is great, looks really nice. What map is that? I really like it.

Victoria, British Columbia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

OSI bean dip posted:

Victoria, British Columbia

Oh hey that's where I live but I didn't even recognize the map.