Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Psykmoe posted:

Why aren't people improving the world? I don't know, maybe they're too busy worrying about problems that Allison will never have.

This is, I believe, one of the points of the comic and one of the intentional flaws of the character.

Alison is supposed to be someone we admire, but at the same time she is like one of those college students who get super excited about helping out the poor nations of the world, and choose to do this by being sent down to some country in South America or Africa to do menial labor. It ends up costing money to ship their stupid asses over there and train them to do basic work that could easily be done by the people who are already there; in general, it would be better if they just took that money and sent it directly to those people. Some volunteers can surpass that and do real good through volunteering, but not everyone has or can develop the right skills to do that. Alison's heart may be in the right place, but she's often misdirecting her efforts and screwing things up because the people who can actually solve problems are the ones who understand them, and that requires a lot of hard, tedious work that she is just beginning to do. It's hard for her, because she's trying to solve problems that she has never experienced and never will have to experience; she is one of the most privileged people on the planet and just plain has never had to worry about this stuff. The comic has actually brought this up before; here are some illustrative pages from the last issue:

Daphne's roommate there knows that you should be able to get drunk at a party and not have to worry about some rear end in a top hat taking advantage of you. She also knows that she lives in the real world and that it's still a bad idea to get drunk at a party without backup because this might happen. Alison does not live in this world and has trouble understanding what it's like to. I think that's where this part of the comic is driving, but we'll see. It's actually easier for her to empathize with Cleaver because she understands being strong enough to do whatever you want and knowing you could just kill anyone that tries to stop you.

Incidentally, the white stone/black stone thing is not actually going to be how the class is graded, are people actually thinking that? It's a thought experiment. I'd be pretty shocked if they were actually planning to let that stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
While I understand people having a problem with Allison being shown as the only good person in the room, on the other hand I can absolutely believe that you'd have a college class full of people unwilling to sacrifice themselves (even symbolically) for somebody else.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

idonotlikepeas posted:

Daphne's roommate there knows that you should be able to get drunk at a party and not have to worry about some rear end in a top hat taking advantage of you. She also knows that she lives in the real world and that it's still a bad idea to get drunk at a party without backup because this might happen.

You know what always strikes me as incredibly weird, there are a lot of people these days who will get all up in your poo poo for saying such a thing because you are ~~~ perpetuating rape culture ~~~.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

idonotlikepeas posted:

This is, I believe, one of the points of the comic and one of the intentional flaws of the character.

Incidentally, the white stone/black stone thing is not actually going to be how the class is graded, are people actually thinking that? It's a thought experiment. I'd be pretty shocked if they were actually planning to let that stick.

I agree its an intentional flaw of the character, I just think the writing has gotten more obnoxious.

And no I don't believe anyone is actually being graded about this but God's Not Dead was a real movie that had writers being paid actual money to write the plot point of 'you will fail my class if you do not deny the existence of God' and it had audiences also, so you just never know, especially with the deterioration of SFP's writing :v:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think Allison really is going to take an f in this class over this, because that's exactly the kind of poo poo the author would do.

Because Allison is right and everybody who disagrees with her is a bad guy.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Psykmoe posted:

I agree its an intentional flaw of the character, I just think the writing has gotten more obnoxious.

And no I don't believe anyone is actually being graded about this but God's Not Dead was a real movie that had writers being paid actual money to write the plot point of 'you will fail my class if you do not deny the existence of God' and it had audiences also, so you just never know, especially with the deterioration of SFP's writing :v:

Judging by actual news stories about the state of the US education system, nutjob professors who think they can set whatever arbitrary requirements for passing the class does not seem totally implausible.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Slashrat posted:

Judging by actual news stories about the state of the US education system, nutjob professors who think they can set whatever arbitrary requirements for passing the class does not seem totally implausible.

Other way around, tenure is now a myth and professors are mostly adjuncts with such tenuous holds on their jobs that they're terrified of antagonizing students at all.

This is a bad comic written by stupid people.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Psykmoe posted:

I'm fairly sure that the writer of this comic is the opposite of the target audience for God's Not Dead, a movie based on a scene from a Chick Tract that would be literally impossible to happen in the real world. (Even a tenured professor at a university that receives any state funding whatsoever would never tell a student they couldn't believe in God unless they were trying to retire in a really novel way.)

I realize the smoking wreckage of the last chapter left people a little nervous, but so far nothing that's happened in this one has been particularly egregious. Now, if the teacher actually grades everyone based on this I will be quite happy to say that we're heading back to poo poo-town.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
God I hope this is the arc where Alison hulks out and murders everyone.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

gasp

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Now I'm feeling disappointed that he probably isn't going to fail Alison. Good god, you don't talk to teachers that way.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I'm a little disappointed nobody dared to say "yeah, actually, I just didn't want to make an F, I don't have a sob story about being here on a shaky scholarship deal, eat poo poo you dumb bitch"

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Flesh Forge posted:

I'm a little disappointed nobody dared to say "yeah, actually, I just didn't want to make an F, I don't have a sob story about being here on a shaky scholarship deal, eat poo poo you dumb bitch"

That would be hilarious but also a little ridiculous, because she's fuckin' Mega Girl and you don't want to antagonize someone strong enough to smoosh you.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

That is sensible and pragmatic, two things a lot of college students are often not :shrug:

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

idonotlikepeas posted:

she is one of the most privileged people on the planet and just plain has never had to worry about this stuff

The flashback chapters indicate too that she's been rather privileged even before superpowers were a thing too. She grew up in a financially stable and happy family where she was smarter and better athletically than her peers, and struggled to understand how other people couldn't just be as good as her at things.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

gasp she said a bad word

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

ManlyGrunting posted:

God I hope this is the arc where Alison hulks out and murders everyone.

I want her to hulk out and be stopped by patrick in some fashion.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Patrick did nothing wrong

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Flesh Forge posted:

That is sensible and pragmatic, two things a lot of college students are often not :shrug:

I remember meeting one of those dudes who has the crazily specific interpretations of Christianity and likes to bring inflammatory signs about birth control being the mark of the beast or some dumb poo poo at my college. I tried to get a discussion going with him about the contradictions in the bible, but some lady came up and started yelling at him about how mean he was and how he wasn't doing what Christ would have wanted. I asked her if she really thought she was going to make a difference, since it was obvious this dude was just here to get off on people yelling at him, and she stammered and shouted "EXCUSE ME I AM NOT TALKING TO YOU" at me.

College students dumb. Some people are looking to be confrontation no matter what. Allison is pretty much perfect to fit in at a college. I can't wait for her to join a student group that has meetings about meetings about changing the world.

rotinaj fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 24, 2016

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

Patrick did nothing wrong

Patrick may be a murderer and a villain. But he doesn't pretend he's something he isn't, and while he's willing to talk like he's a puppet master, his actions make clear that he does actually care for the people he works with. Though that could just be a misreading based on the confused and vacillating portrayal we've gotten recently.

rotinaj posted:

I remember meeting one of those dudes who has the crazily specific interpretations of Christianity and likes to bring inflammatory signs about birth control being the mark of the beast or some dumb poo poo at my college. I tried to get a discussion going with him about the contradictions in the bible, but some lady came up and started yelling at him about how mean he was and how he wasn't doing what Christ would have wanted. I asked her if she really thought she was going to make a difference, since it was obvious this dude was just here to get off on people yelling at him, and she stammered and shouted "EXCUSE ME I AM NOT TALKING TO YOU" at me.

College students dumb. Some people are looking to be confrontation no matter what. Allison is pretty much perfect to fit in at a college. I can't wait for her to join a student group that has meetings about meetings about changing the world.

Lots of people confuse being "right" either factually or morally to be a more useful persuasive tool than being polite or evenhanded. It's better to give lip service to the other side of an issue, even if their stance is repugnant to you, than to blast them. People only change their minds when they feel respected and can square their new ideas with the ones they previously held by and large. It isn't a phenomena unique to college students.

Admittedly this professor is driving towards that particular ideological blind spot of her's. The tyrannical part of her belief in collective action is that she's only okay with it when the thoughts of the collective align with her own views, and while she seemed to be aware of that when she talked to Cleaver; she has either forgot it or has become less introspective since.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

akulanization posted:

Patrick may be a murderer and a villain. But he doesn't pretend he's something he isn't, and while he's willing to talk like he's a puppet master, his actions make clear that he does actually care for the people he works with. Though that could just be a misreading based on the confused and vacillating portrayal we've gotten recently.

I really feel like it would be really difficult not to develop a lot of empathy if you were effectively always reading people's minds, along with all of the sadness and anger that comes with the terrible poo poo that happens to people in life. Either that or become a sociopath.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

It would have been kind of amusing if when the professor ran this game, Allison had said 'Hey everyone, lets put down the black stones' and then the entire class did it, so the dude passed, in a total flip of what the professor/reader expects. But then in the discussion it unfolds that while some people are altruists, a bunch of people just did what she said because holy poo poo, she's megagirl, and even without flexing her abilities she distorts the behavior of people all around her.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Ashcans posted:

It would have been kind of amusing if when the professor ran this game, Allison had said 'Hey everyone, lets put down the black stones' and then the entire class did it, so the dude passed, in a total flip of what the professor/reader expects. But then in the discussion it unfolds that while some people are altruists, a bunch of people just did what she said because holy poo poo, she's megagirl, and even without flexing her abilities she distorts the behavior of people all around her.

Would have even illustrated the point re: tyranny still, since the only reason they are all "in this together" is because of the implicit threat of force if they do something else.

Axiem posted:

I really feel like it would be really difficult not to develop a lot of empathy if you were effectively always reading people's minds, along with all of the sadness and anger that comes with the terrible poo poo that happens to people in life. Either that or become a sociopath.

I agree, which is why I think the "you can't read your own mind" thing being a big deal was pretty stupid. Dude has effectively led thousands of lives, and seen what people think of him because of his actions in many of them. It's not like he can avoid examining his own choices, even if he can't rummage through his own memories and stuff.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

akulanization posted:

Patrick is a direly evil person when you look at what he does (kidnapping people, drugging them, mind probing them extensively without their consent) and ignore the puppy dog sadness of having coffee cups thrown at him.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Flesh Forge posted:

Patrick is a direly evil person when you look at what he does (kidnapping people, drugging them, mind probing them extensively without their consent) and ignore the puppy dog sadness of having coffee cups thrown at him.

Kidnapping and mind-probing people to create perpetual free energy, you mean. There was something like a consequentialist-rule moralist conflict being set up with him before he was handed the Opposed to Alison Hat and became mr. crazy.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

akulanization posted:

Would have even illustrated the point re: tyranny still, since the only reason they are all "in this together" is because of the implicit threat of force if they do something else.

Naw, would have illustrated a different kind of tyranny. The tyranny of a cult of popularity, since she's Mega-Girl. That'd be like if you were taking a class with Emma Watson and she did this same thing and everyone was like "oh man it's Hermione, do what she says". Even if there's no threat of force, there's a threat of someone well-known and famous thinking less of you.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
Where's the rear end in a top hat who decides to play neither stone?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I ate my stones. :(

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Why do I have to identify as one stone or the other, what if I am a pink stone

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
And why is the BLACK stone the failing one

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

drat I should not have missed that :shobon:

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Discendo Vox posted:

Kidnapping and mind-probing people to create perpetual free energy, you mean. There was something like a consequentialist-rule moralist conflict being set up with him before he was handed the Opposed to Alison Hat and became mr. crazy.

I thought it was implied that those people were working for him and voluntarily underwent sedation for whatever Mr. Moneybags wanted? Last chapter was a big enough mess that I'm not going back to see.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

No, this page and the next make it pretty clear it's being done without their knowledge or consent.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
You wouldn't download an incredible scientific insight...

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I like how she pretty much just also kind of treats it jokingly up until the moment he disagrees to help her with something.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Flesh Forge posted:

You know what always strikes me as incredibly weird, there are a lot of people these days who will get all up in your poo poo for saying such a thing because you are ~~~ perpetuating rape culture ~~~.

Because without the first qualifying statement and the overall willingness to place the core responsibility on Not The Victim, that's exactly what you're doing :v:

And usually when people say stuff like that, it's without the first qualifying statement and the overall willingness to place the core repsonsibility on Not The Victim.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

"Usually" hmm yes of course

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Here's my take, I'm not a doctor:

The danger with treating The Rapist, in the abstract, as an abstract danger to be evaded is that it removes them as a moral agent. When someone is savaged by an animal in the woods, we don't become incensed at the animal, we either hold the victim in sympathy for their suffering or in contempt for their failure to protect themselves or both. Similarly when someone is molested by The Rapist, as opposed to by someone specific (say, our friend Miles) it's easy to wind up putting all the focus on the victim.

I think it genuinely is tricky to encourage people to protect themselves from rapists without reducing rapists to The Rapist, but it's what ya gotta do.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Flesh Forge posted:

"Usually" hmm yes of course

I'm guessing you don't actually engage with mainstream media much. Or people outside the internet, for that matter, to hold this idea in such cynical contempt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Hmm yes, usually when people say stuff like that, blah blah blah

• Locked thread