Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I may be misremembering the panel, I just recall the lotion line coming off as...I guess flippant? Too memeish? It just wasn't as effective to me as this one was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I think a person's reaction to that line is generally decided by if they heard about it through cultural osmosis before they saw the movie or not. First impressions are important.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
This is about an older strip, right? I don't see anything about that particular line in the latest one.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yep. Old one too.

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

nimby posted:

Stanley makes up his own rules and Erfworld accommodates. Maybe because he has the hammer? Some sort of primal carnymancy.

Well, every problem looks like a nail afraid of metal.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
We've covered Maggie and Wanda, now it's Parson's turn.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

That was actually a pretty brilliant lie by Parson, all things considered. Wonder if he came up with it on the fly, or if it had been planned?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
I think he was just being sarcastic, but when he saw an opening he ran with it.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

:ohdear: I'm not sure I like where we're heading, here. I read the prequel chapters, and while there was implied torture, it also made it seem like Haffaton was a strange, creepy sort of outlier that didn't reflect how the normal sides would be run, because Olive was such a maniac. It kinda puts me off to hear Caesar discuss his planned interrogation techniques so casually, let alone the fact that the King endorses the literal psychopath Doller's horror movie approach to the prisoners - high ranking prisoners, too.

I guess it makes sense given the universe, as most units don't seem to feel as much pain as we do, and expect to heal all but the most grievous wounds as soon as the next turn starts. Still, between that and the fact that multiple sides now have real world rifles and millions of extra Schmuckers, I wonder if we're going to see a big tonal shift by the time the next book begins -- they have the money and equipment now to begin waging the equivalent of World War II, versus the much smaller-scale medieval battles that Erfworld has always known.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
That's kind of a big theme with this whole story, the difference between what a wargame is like to play and what a real live war is to experience. If I'm making this up correctly the Erfworld Compendium says, "roll 2d6 and compare the result to the Unit Resolve Table, on a modified result of 5 or less no information is gained, on a roll of 6 or greater the unit gives up any information it has" but until a real live gamer (or at least a supporting cast member we are supposed to care about) goes through it, you don't really think about what that "roll 2d6 and compare to table" actually stands for.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Again, it's really cool to hear Charlie's own perspective but too many loving plotline threads. This is getting bloated beyond belief.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Out of all these words, one seems more important than the others, and that's "extrauniverse". It finally explains how Charlie knows about guns, Earth slang, and so on despite apparently being a native of Erfworld. And if he can tap into any other universes, who knows what kind of crap he could pull.

Also, Parson's worst case scenario seems to have been right on the money.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Charlie's real strength seems to be making it look like whatever happened was his plan all along, and his plans look like coincidence. Makes sense for a Carnymancer, but it also casts a lot of background stuff in a very different light.

Say, Stanley just happening to come across dozens of dwagons on the way to FAQ.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

New page.

Parson managing to withstand the pain enough to deliver his goals is surprising, but I guess leveling has toughened him up. Also, Maggie is totally going to lead a jailbreak with that golem.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I think it's about time Maggie gets an "I'm a badass too you know" scene. Basically everyone else has at this point.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Carrasco posted:

Parson managing to withstand the pain enough to deliver his goals is surprising, but I guess leveling has toughened him up. Also, Maggie is totally going to lead a jailbreak with that golem.

He's bound by Duty to try whatever might work, so that helps. Probably doesn't dull the pain, though.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Update, it's like Don King is trying to get Caesar to start a coup.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

sirtommygunn posted:

Update, it's like Don King is trying to get Caesar to start a coup.

At this point, it isn't just like that; it is that.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

At this point, it isn't just like that; it is that.

I saw it as Don testing Caesar's loyalty, not outright intending him to turn, but he's really taking it too far and actively putting his kingdom at risk as a result.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

If you ask me, Don King is trying to figure out what he personally did wrong to lose his best friend, and is apparently chasing down the idea that if he'd just been more loyal to the Royal sides, none of this would have happened.

He's a Royalist now, not because he believes the rhetoric (though he tells himself he does), but because he's still blaming himself for what happened, but is too afraid to actually accept the consequences.

Essentially, he's convinced himself that the Titans are making all this happen just to personally punish him.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
The end of Book 1 was Parson casting away his sword that represented Ruthlessness. Could Parson's arrival in Transylvito and subsequent torture be Fate's attempt at returning his ruthlessness, i.e. 'the hard way' for trying to subvert his Fate, as Wanda might put it?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Dollor Bill seems to be a creative and talented fellow... have we ever gotten an idea of how he interacts with the rest of Transyilvito?

Caidin fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 27, 2016

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

We haven't seen a lot of it, which itself is telling--unlike Ben and Bunny, he doesn't have a place at court in the king's confidence, and in fact we barely knew he existed until now. And their chief warlord's reaction to running into him was literally "what the hell?", so there's that.

I'm reminded of one of Jillian's lines from when Transylvito basically kidnapped her to take her to the capital, something like "this was the first indication she'd ever seen that Transylvito had a Dollamancer". Specifics about their casters seems to be something sides try not to advertise (see Wanda's uncertainty about what kind of caster Olive Branch even was), but Jillian gets around enough she probably should have seen some clue, unless Transylvito was particularly ashamed of him.

isndl posted:

The end of Book 1 was Parson casting away his sword that represented Ruthlessness. Could Parson's arrival in Transylvito and subsequent torture be Fate's attempt at returning his ruthlessness, i.e. 'the hard way' for trying to subvert his Fate, as Wanda might put it?

Maybe. Parson's attitude that "these are real people" makes me think he wouldn't want to torture even someone who had tortured him, though. Although he might be more flexible about leaving him to Wanda's tender care if that circumstance somehow arose.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Is it me or there's an almost instinctive quality to Maggie's reaction to Bill's opinion on Thinkamancy. Wonder if all casters have that. It seems a bit weird how they all kind of dismiss all disciplines outside their own.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Kyte posted:

Is it me or there's an almost instinctive quality to Maggie's reaction to Bill's opinion on Thinkamancy. Wonder if all casters have that. It seems a bit weird how they all kind of dismiss all disciplines outside their own.

I believe Wanda was mentioned early on to interested in almost any school but croakamancy, but I think she just might be weird.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Caidin posted:

I believe Wanda was mentioned early on to interested in almost any school but croakamancy, but I think she just might be weird.

No, she can cast spells from nearly any discipline but doesn't find them interesting and so misses some nuance. This is contrasted with Sizemore who loves Magic and pays good money to study it, but can't manage the simplest non Dirtamancy spells.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Maybe it's a subtle Fate ploy so casters don't collaborate too much. Combining two/three disciplines via link already makes some amazing effects.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

And thus the terrible purpose of Jed the Head was revealed!

I applaud it wholeheartedly.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

So that's why all that torture was ineffective. They live in a world where stuff like this happens all the time.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
That reveal was physically painful. And absolutely amazing. Well done!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Erev posted:

That reveal was physically painful. And absolutely amazing. Well done!

Agreed.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Why has the discussion died down? The comic has been updating mostly regularily.

Anyways, looks like Parson's situation's looped around back to "kinda hosed". Bunny's efforts don't seem to be having much effect (though it's noteworthy that she's actually trying), Caesar seems too demoralised to try a coup and even if he did, Don's onto him. And Vanna getting to work on any of the prisoners is definitely not good news.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Aumanor posted:

And Vanna getting to work on any of the prisoners is definitely not good news.

That's definitely true, which is why it's surprising she's going for Don first. Maybe Charles figures that since Gobwin Knob and Transylvito are the only two sides who have actually gotten their hands on guns, he can still do some amount of damage control by getting Transylvito under his thumb (without going in guns blazing). And it's certainly true that if he manages to use Turnamancy on a king somehow, he's got the prisoners.

Although I'm not sure that "Turnamancy on a king" is a concept that even makes sense, which is probably why the update that talked about her coming over mentioned "espionage and seduction stuff", which is basically Turnamancy without even using magic.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Carrasco posted:

That's definitely true, which is why it's surprising she's going for Don first. Maybe Charles figures that since Gobwin Knob and Transylvito are the only two sides who have actually gotten their hands on guns, he can still do some amount of damage control by getting Transylvito under his thumb (without going in guns blazing). And it's certainly true that if he manages to use Turnamancy on a king somehow, he's got the prisoners.

Although I'm not sure that "Turnamancy on a king" is a concept that even makes sense, which is probably why the update that talked about her coming over mentioned "espionage and seduction stuff", which is basically Turnamancy without even using magic.

It doesn't have to make sense when Charlie's Carneymancey is in the mix as well, it's the ultimate deus ex fuckyouina.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

That's true, but if I remember the explanation in book 1 right, rulers are the only ones who don't have duty, loyalty, etc.. So it's like there's not even a rule for him to break. Might be the domain of Weirdomancy, since as far as we've seen that deals with granting or taking away unit specials, so a Turna-Weirdomancy link could do something.

Going back to another point:

Aumanor posted:

Caesar seems too demoralised to try a coup and even if he did, Don's onto him.

This actually seems to be the opposite of what's happening. Caesar's line "what's the worst that could happen, we wake up and I'm your new ruler" suggests that he thinks Vanna has seduced Don so she can kill him. Which isn't unreasonable, especially since Caesar seems to have bought Parson and Jack's line about Jillian eventually backstabbing all her allies.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
While it's perfectly true it makes no sense for a Ruler to Duty/Loyalty/etc, which are mostly directed towards the Ruler, I can bet they too have their own hidden stats like duty to the side itself and such, basically stuff only a Ruler would know about.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

I wonder sure the game has hidden stats that no unit type can naturally see, and are only guessed at by casters

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Today's update: the odds keep looking better for Maggie hijacking that golem somehow, and the situation around Bunny's "baddie"-ness sounds a million times worse now.

Rygar201 posted:

I wonder sure the game has hidden stats that no unit type can naturally see, and are only guessed at by casters

And Charlie probably knows all about them. What a tool.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Carrasco posted:

That's true, but if I remember the explanation in book 1 right, rulers are the only ones who don't have duty, loyalty, etc.. So it's like there's not even a rule for him to break. Might be the domain of Weirdomancy, since as far as we've seen that deals with granting or taking away unit specials, so a Turna-Weirdomancy link could do something.

In the Wanda/Jillian prequel whose name escapes me, King Banhammer was narrowly stopped from surrendering his side to Haffaton, so presumably it's possible to subsume an entire side if you somehow persuade/threaten their ruler to give their kingdom away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Not that we needed confirmation that Charlie is a Carny, but it's kind of interesting to see how he takes different tones with different people.