Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
code:
postgres=# select trunc('Infinity'::float);
Infinity
postgres=# select trunc('-Infinity'::float);
-Infinity
postgres=# select trunc('NaN'::float);
NaN
postgres=# select trunc('Infinity'::float)::integer;
ERROR:  integer out of range
postgres=# select trunc('Infinity'::float)::numeric;
ERROR:  invalid input syntax for type numeric: "inf"
postgres=# select trunc(pow(2::numeric, 1024::numeric) + 10);
179769313486231590772930519078902473361797697894230657273430081157732675805500963132708477322407536021120113879871393357658789768814416622492847430639474124377767893424865485276302219601246094119453082952085005768838150682342462881473913110540827237163350510684586298239947245938479716304835356329624224137226
postgres=# select trunc(pow(2::numeric, 1024::numeric) + 10) = pow(2::numeric, 1024::numeric);
f
h t h op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

eschaton posted:

Apple /// SOS

:agreed:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

same, except they buy cerner and then its so bad that 2 years later they scrap it and replace it with us. and then neal cries at a conference again.

it sounds like there's a story here

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Does pycharm debugger have any sort of replay functionality? In eclipse I can right click on a thread on the call stack and "drop to frame". I would like this

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I miss java

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Valeyard posted:

I miss java

the jvm is good and i luv it

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Specifically, I miss strong typing

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

I am strong and i type

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer
I am a duck

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

strong typing best typing

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

strongly typed, statically typed forever

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Pumpy Dumper posted:

I am strong and i type

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

every time i write php after writing some rust it's dreadful and everything is runtime guesswork and awful

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
My favorite thing to see first thing in the morning when I start working on a new issue.

Go to source control -> View History -> oh look a changeset with 46 changed files, commit message: "."

Committed by the guy that left the company a month ago.

you piece of poo poo

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

I thought I was a duck, but then at run time I found out someone wanted to use me as a swan. I silently let them. I feel dirty, but life goes on...

until I become corrupted.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

eschaton posted:

it sounds like there's a story here

nah, cerner's ceo is just a big baby and gets real worked up when his show sites decide to move to epic. word is that he's had to leave conferences and meetings several times because he couldnt control his emotions when losing a big customer.

it really chaps his rear end because we've taken a bunch of their show site customers and meanwhile the only customers to move from epic->cerner did so because they were acquired by larger organizations that didn't want to switch. and the funny thing is that usually those groups come back to us later anyway. there's a p funny cart about this we show sometimes at staff meeting, i'll have to see if that's a publicly sharable thing.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Valeyard posted:

Specifically, I miss strong typing

the type annotations are pretty nice even though a real static type system would be easier

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Lets take today, I came in to see my shame inbox filled with stacktrace emails, uh oh. Had a look at my commits, cool. I had merged in changes from another branch earlier in the day and commited the changes in to my branch without checking the files. I forgot I had some local changes in them, oops.

All the stack trace emails came from a line i accidently added where it was trying to subtract 2 lists (if I had wrapped each list in a set, it would have been fine), and it broke some stuff. Oops

This would be a non issue in java

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
We figured to just delay today's release, but since next week is month end then it won't be for another 2 weeks minimum.

On the flipside, it gave me a lot more time to fix things and I've still got ages left till next release. I'm still the solo dev on this project, which is pretty cool. It doesent have too many whacky development processes going on, and it has some good documentation for the ones that do exist

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I taught myself 6502 assembly but I need a book on Ada or something

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
I like the strong type. Mmmm, burly

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
I fixed an issue with a commit that had 50 plusses and 140 minuses

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

-90 commit :stonklol: someone was trying to disrupt your app

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
There were a lot of pointless if(something!= null), and many of them were originally written by me, then copy-pasted by other devs.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

kalstrams posted:

-90 commit :stonklol: someone was trying to disrupt your app

idgi

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

i eventually managed to get ada working on my arduino, using this guys blog:
http://arduino.ada-language.com/
warning: lots of linux janitoring involved

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

im being a very bad brogrammer

i.e. "more minuses than pluses in a commit means that commit is negative, +50-140=-90, means commit was loaded with negativity and is bad for programm, as in the app, which in turn means that this commit was a disruption" :downs:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

pointsofdata posted:

i eventually managed to get ada working on my arduino, using this guys blog:
http://arduino.ada-language.com/
warning: lots of linux janitoring involved

oh no, it works fine and I can compile and write programs to my board which is pretty cool! I just meant the language is pretty complex and I can't do much beyond blinking an LED with the timer and writing things to the display yet.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

oh no, it works fine and I can compile and write programs to my board which is pretty cool! I just meant the language is pretty complex and I can't do much beyond blinking an LED with the timer and writing things to the display yet.

oh ok you're doing better than me then!

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
negative commits are cool and good and always huge improvements

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

hackbunny posted:

negative commits are cool and good and always huge improvements

Yeeah it's incredibly satisfying to push a +30,-500 commit

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
negative commits are how i improve line coverage numbers

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
might as well just delete all of the uncovered lines of code because if no one cared enough to write a test for them they must not be important

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
yeah goodbye codebase lol

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Valeyard posted:

yeah goodbye codebase lol

if they wanted it to stick around they should have written tests for it

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
the sins of the great great great great grandfathers

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

Luigi Thirty posted:

https://www.amazon.ca/Programming-Ada-2012-John-Barnes/dp/110742481X

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

http://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py?project=Macintosh&story=Negative_2000_Lines_Of_Code.txt posted:

In early 1982, the Lisa software team was trying to buckle down for the big push to ship the software within the next six months. Some of the managers decided that it would be a good idea to track the progress of each individual engineer in terms of the amount of code that they wrote from week to week. They devised a form that each engineer was required to submit every Friday, which included a field for the number of lines of code that were written that week.

Bill Atkinson, the author of Quickdraw and the main user interface designer, who was by far the most important Lisa implementor, thought that lines of code was a silly measure of software productivity. He thought his goal was to write as small and fast a program as possible, and that the lines of code metric only encouraged writing sloppy, bloated, broken code.

He recently was working on optimizing Quickdraw's region calculation machinery, and had completely rewritten the region engine using a simpler, more general algorithm which, after some tweaking, made region operations almost six times faster. As a by-product, the rewrite also saved around 2,000 lines of code.

He was just putting the finishing touches on the optimization when it was time to fill out the management form for the first time. When he got to the lines of code part, he thought about it for a second, and then wrote in the number: -2000.

I'm not sure how the managers reacted to that, but I do know that after a couple more weeks, they stopped asking Bill to fill out the form, and he gladly complied.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
sounds like the java team we're working with concurrently

latest commit: 1250+/8-
total commits in 6 month repo: 83

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
metrics are for showing off to management how well your team met their goals, or even exceeded them. this should always be the case, because your team's goals should always be set so that even in the worst possible situation, you will easily achieve them. this is called being a good manager, and if your team isn't like this every single quarter, look to update your resume asap, or at least switch teams within the organization if possible

• Locked thread