Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

CJacobs posted:

It gives you 1 hollowing for each sigil you have every time you die. Hollowing does nothing except it makes you look like jerky when you have a lot of it. People speculate that it also makes it harder to connect via co-op but nobody knows if that's a real thing or not.

Adding to speculation that hollowing makes co-op impossible.

Friend un-hallowoed and it instantly worked.

Just can't have signs down at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

DS2 had lots of great NPCs, the quests just blew.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

homeless poster posted:

also it's possible if you use a big enough weapon (like your great sword) and you stick on their butt during round 2, you can actually hurt younger bro while he rides around master blaster style. the fight is over once younger bro dies, and if you can tag him enough times you can actually end the fight soon-ish just by killing him first.

I'll keep this in mind, thank you.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Astora Greatsword is dope. zweihander moveset and A scaling in both Int and Faith when +6 Chaos or Dark? yes please

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I've been trying Gundyr's halberd in PvP and it's working pretty well. The charge is really good and has seemingly perfect tracking.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Kirks thorn armor, dark leggings and arms, and a certain pointy hat...

I am...

Pokey Pope

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
Vengarl, Straid, Aldia and Lucatiel all hold a special place in my heart as really good, interesting characters. So far in Souls 3, Ludleth of Courland, Cornyx of the Great Swamp, and Karla have all left an impression on me as being strong personalities I enjoy interacting with. I adore Solaire, but he's just one potential outcome of many. I'm thankful that they haven't tried to force another character to fill his shoes because he's the popular meme sunpraiser. My main complaint with the characters in 3 is that they're not as focused on as they could be. What's there is very good and engaging, but there doesn't really seem to be that much more to explore. The NPCs in 3 are kind of static, with the exception of Siegward and Anri, who both feel... rather familiar. That's how it feels to me, anyway.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
Is the Black Knight Shield a thing that people want? I ended up with two and it seems pretty boss. 100% physical block, 85% fire, and 69 stability at +5, only 18 str and 7.5 weight to wield, though it requires twinkling titanite to upgrade. If someone wants the extra one message me on PSN, username belross.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Einwand posted:

I've been trying Gundyr's halberd in PvP and it's working pretty well. The charge is really good and has seemingly perfect tracking.

It's good, yeah. Don't forget you can combo the charge seamlessly into a strong attack the knocks the enemy onto their rear end. I just wish its moveset worked in some of the champ's sweet kickboxing moves simply because it would look rad.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I really like Greirat but I'm terrified of letting him pillage because I have no idea what the requirements to keep him alive are.

Alabaster White posted:

Oh god, I just double-checked the item list and all the items make noise or resemble/could be used as an instrument. Loretta's Bone has holes carved in it like a flute, Avelyn "bears resemblance to a musical instrument", Eleonora makes a chime with its weapon art, etc. What clever fuckers.

Musical instruments include;

-Xanthous crown
-firebombs
-bones
-blacksmiths hammer
-a jug of beer

I think this theory has some holes.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Dazzling Addar posted:

Vengarl, Straid, Aldia and Lucatiel all hold a special place in my heart as really good, interesting characters.

I got unreasonably upset when my Greirat died in ice city :smith:

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Dazzling Addar posted:

Vengarl, Straid, Aldia and Lucatiel all hold a special place in my heart as really good, interesting characters. So far in Souls 3, Ludleth of Courland, Cornyx of the Great Swamp, and Karla have all left an impression on me as being strong personalities I enjoy interacting with. I adore Solaire, but he's just one potential outcome of many. I'm thankful that they haven't tried to force another character to fill his shoes because he's the popular meme sunpraiser. My main complaint with the characters in 3 is that they're not as focused on as they could be. What's there is very good and engaging, but there doesn't really seem to be that much more to explore. The NPCs in 3 are kind of static, with the exception of Siegward and Anri, who both feel... rather familiar. That's how it feels to me, anyway.

The best part about Solaire is that they put him in Bloodborne, basically (same voice actor), but he's an insane murderer who wears a pyramid head hat to smash a vampire queen in to paste.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Internet Kraken posted:

I really like Greirat but I'm terrified of letting him pillage because I have no idea what the requirements to keep him alive are.

-Xanthous crown
-firebombs
-bones
-blacksmiths hammer
-a jug of beer

that's all for the after party

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

-Xanthous crown
-firebombs
-bones
-blacksmiths hammer
-a jug of beer

Oh, I wouldn't say that. You can use bones and hammers as makeshift drumsticks. An empty jug can be an instrument unto itself, and every good concert needs a few pyrotechnics. The Xanthous crown is a bit of a wildcard. I can only assume that it's just perfect for small birds to snuggle up in.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Obligatum VII posted:

It's good, yeah. Don't forget you can combo the charge seamlessly into a strong attack the knocks the enemy onto their rear end. I just wish its moveset worked in some of the champ's sweet kickboxing moves simply because it would look rad.

The lowest I've seen the charge do at SL90 is 501, and it can even interrupt roll spamming if you're close enough to them when you use it. I've got enough FP to use it 4 times with base knight attunement.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Dr. Abysmal posted:

There's a path to the right of the rope bridge in the catacombs, she should be standing up there.

Thank you. This was the case.

Seems they really expect you to take things in a certain order in order for that quest at least to be easy to follow.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.
I've not been following the thread and I've been playing blind. Just got through Anor Londo and beat the boss. Can I get a hint about where to go next?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dazzling Addar posted:

The description on DS3's Hollowslayer Greatsword make me sad, considering who it used to belong to

quote:

Harbors the fears that lurk within the mind of Hollows

DS2 really had some great NPCs. Shalquoir deserves a mention too because she's the best catte. Enchanté.

I think my favorite NPCs in DS3 are Ludleth (all around great dude), Greirat (his reaction to Loretta's passing..) and Irina ("do you wish to hear a tale?" :unsmith:)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

samu3lk posted:

I've not been following the thread and I've been playing blind. Just got through Anor Londo and beat the boss. Can I get a hint about where to go next?

Teleport to the Distant Manor bonfire and look for a path that goes down. It will lead to the Irthyll Dungeons which has the next lord of cinder.

Your Computer posted:

DS2 really had some great NPCs. Shalquoir deserves a mention too because she's the best catte. Enchanté.

She has a surprising number of different lines, though the trigger for them is weird and hosed up. She even says something unique if you talk to her after beating the game but before going into NG+.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

NPC wise, I think, for me, DS1 has the high points (Solaire, Siegs 1 and 2, and Logan) and the rest of the cast were ok, but not like, super exceptional. DS2 had the highest average level, overall. DS3 also has some good characters, but mostly they feel comparable to DS1, although a lot of that is just because it came first. If the cast swapped between 1 and 3 I'd probably reverse that assessment, is what I mean. Bloodborne was the weakest. Haven't played DeS (come on hd remake!)

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Your Computer posted:

The description on DS3's Hollowslayer Greatsword make me sad, considering who it used to belong to

It's sad, but in a way, this was her best outcome. With her mask and her wonderfully stylish set of armor persisting even into Lothric, at very least, we have upheld our promise to remember her.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

observations from pvping today with my pyromancer:

sacred flame is super unreliable but holy gently caress does it feel great when it connects. almost always a guaranteed kill if it connects while they're down about a quarter HP.

witch's locks seem to be actually viable? most people don't really know how to deal with the weapon art which has a much longer range than you'd expect and does pretty good damage through shields. it does have split damage though.

great chaos fireballs are pretty god drat good just like in PvE. gotta get good at manually aiming them though.

fire whip is pretty good at catching people off guard but it won't do too much damage, works better on low HP players.

firestorm should never be used except when someone's going to turn a corner or exit a choke point and they don't know you're there, it's completely useless otherwise. good set up for an undead hunter charm or chaos fireball if you catch anyone in it.

i have both pyromancy bosting rings and the fire clutch ring for damage boosting and the sage's ring for faster casting which obviously makes me a massive glass cannon

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dazzling Addar posted:

It's sad, but in a way, this was her best outcome. With her mask and her wonderfully stylish set of armor persisting even into Lothric, at very least, we have upheld our promise to remember her.

I feel better now :unsmith:

Fromsoft really are great with tragic characters. Quelaag's sister's dialogue still breaks my heart, it almost hurts to listen to.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Just about the only non-tragic character in the game is the player, who is just a genocidal maniac.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Unkindled are "special"

They're undead but not really, they're not even really living. They're just vessels for the lords flames. There wasn't any in DS1 because that was the first time the fire was fading. They're probably failed Chosen Undead from previous cycles.

I'm only up to the end of farron keep but it seems to me that armageddon is simply closer at hand this time around, and that the unkindled are merely a more advanced stage of hollow. Or perhaps hollows whom some aldia-type tinkering has turned into a slightly different variation of the theme.

It seems pretty clear to me that the pc's emptiness is overstated by npcs. Truly souless, unliving beings look like the skelezombies in the ds1 intro and aren't good for much of anything presumably. Only souls invest beings with uniqueness and power. Meanwhile you were once clearly human, and work the same way all the other chosen undead worked, mostly.

But like I said, poo poo seems closer to the absolute end than in the previous games. Not only time but space is massively hosed in a way that even drangleic, the magical back in time poo poo-narnia on the other side of the creepy pond was hosed up. Everything is cramming itself under lothric like a singularity collapsing, and I might have misunderstood something but some lore talks about how the high wall of lothric "appeared". It apprently wasn't constructed but magically farted into existence one day, causing some problems for the people who had work to do outside of it. It all just suggests to me that we arrive at a very advanced stage in the process.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
DS1 seemed like the end of a civilization, DS2 seemed like the end of the world, and in DS3 it seems like the entire universe is collapsing. Can't speak for DeS or BB though cause I never played them and don't know how they fit into the....I'd say timeline but time is hosed really

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Mazerunner posted:

Haven't played DeS (come on hd remake!)

God I know right? I played DeS, and I feel that the characters are pretty good, for the most part. Even the one-note characters were memorable because of what they did. Yurt the Silent Chief made such an impact on the playerbase that even now in Souls 3 I still see the occasional returning player asking if there are any NPCs that like to go on killing sprees. Bjorr of the Twin Fangs didn't have an especially complex character arc but the way he barged in to help you with some late game boss fights crossbow blazing was a lot of fun. On the other hand, there were definitely some standout characters in terms of development. The story of Maiden Astraea was a very affecting tragedy, and Ostrava's journey through Boletaria was one of the bleakest things I've seen in a video game. A lot of Demon's seems a bit vestigial now, but even at that point I would say that From was nailing their style of storytelling super well. I would love for more people to experience the game, so I'll hold out hope for a rerelease of some kind in the future.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Can you still summon in an area after beating its boss? I just pushed a character into NG+ and there's a whole lot of purple PvP going on at the first bonfire. Kinda want to get the 30 vertebra shackles out of the way now.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Is this sword available at all in the game as a usable weapon? It looks rad as hell.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nuebot posted:

Is this sword available at all in the game as a usable weapon? It looks rad as hell.

Looks like the Lothric Knight Sword, one of the best weapons in the game and you can get it as early as the first Lothric Knight you fight in the game :eng101:

In other news, I finally figured out what the 'Praise the Sun' gesture is supposed to symbolize. Solaire was never Gwyn's Firstborn, it was Gwynevere all along!

(I'm sure this joke has been done before and yes I know who the actual firstborn is)

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

DS1 seemed like the end of a civilization, DS2 seemed like the end of the world, and in DS3 it seems like the entire universe is collapsing. Can't speak for DeS or BB though cause I never played them and don't know how they fit into the....I'd say timeline but time is hosed really

While not actually in the same universe for legal reasons, DeS could easily be set during the time when poo poo Were Still Good for Lordran, but the fire was starting to fade further away from the Kiln.

Bloodborne could be after 3, where the Deep was actually space and Aldrich was having visions of the emptiness of space being the way to stop the cycle of the flame.

But of course, they aren't linked at all. Nope. *turns to camera and winks heavily*

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Bloodborne is the end of a city, but with the lovecraftian/dream nature of a lot of things it's maybe more? Or maybe less?

enojy posted:

Can you still summon in an area after beating its boss? I just pushed a character into NG+ and there's a whole lot of purple PvP going on at the first bonfire. Kinda want to get the 30 vertebra shackles out of the way now.

You can summon red and purple signs, but purple signs you summon don't give a shackle. If you put yours down and someone summons you for whatever reason and you kill them/phantoms you'll get one, though.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Yeah. It's also making me appreciate how relentlessly bright and cheerful the first two games were. Remember the chill nexus fire at the top of a shady, mossy tower? Remember bleak but beautiful Majula at the intersection of limitless ocean and sky? Now we have a lovely... dank and mouldering tomb. It's deeply depressing.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Nuebot posted:

As a poster said earlier, this is indeed the Lothric Knight Sword. Looks badass and I'm going to for sure use this on my next playthrough.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nathilus posted:

Yeah. It's also making me appreciate how relentlessly bright and cheerful the first two games were. Remember the chill nexus fire at the top of a shady, mossy tower? Remember bleak but beautiful Majula at the intersection of limitless ocean and sky? Now we have a lovely... dank and mouldering tomb. It's deeply depressing.

I've said before in this thread that this might be my biggest "issue" with DS3. It's completely bleak from beginning to end with no breathing room, it's almost exhausting. I'm pretty sure that just means they nailed the atmosphere they were going for thoughbut I still miss Majula.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Nathilus posted:

I'm barely in the game, but in Dark Souls 1 you were dropped off by some dudes because you were becoming undead. They were separating you from civilization to the edge of this lost and forgotten land to rot in an asylum. Hell, the people probably only know about places like Anor Lando through legend and don't even believe they exist except for the most foolhardy of folks, or those doomed to undead. But you get the feeling that civilization is going on A-OK back wherever they brought you from. Just go away undead.

In 2 it seemed that the world was definitely shifting and you were picking over the ruins of a world that had seen its time come and go. Not much connection there.

But in 3......I mean...is there even a civilization left to be exiled from? It sure doesn't seem like it. I get the feeling that there isn't some "Until later, bro" or "Hey fix this and maybe solve some problems for the rest of humanity". Its...welp, everything is dead, just try to make it not suck I guess?

I'm not very far in, but I"m getting a much more hopeless feel from the game. And it owns :)

Also that first boss scared me :( It turns out single handing the assassin's blade is better than two handing it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

I didn't really get the impression that much of anything was ending in DS2. Your own personal sanity is in danger and you're in a far off corner of the world, but the world at large seemed like it was doing fine.

That's just the impression I always got from Majula and the opening anyway :shrug:

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Jastiger posted:

I'm barely in the game, but in Dark Souls 1 you were dropped off by some dudes because you were becoming undead. They were separating you from civilization to the edge of this lost and forgotten land to rot in an asylum. Hell, the people probably only know about places like Anor Lando through legend and don't even believe they exist except for the most foolhardy of folks, or those doomed to undead. But you get the feeling that civilization is going on A-OK back wherever they brought you from. Just go away undead.

In 2 it seemed that the world was definitely shifting and you were picking over the ruins of a world that had seen its time come and go. Not much connection there.

But in 3......I mean...is there even a civilization left to be exiled from? It sure doesn't seem like it. I get the feeling that there isn't some "Until later, bro" or "Hey fix this and maybe solve some problems for the rest of humanity". Its...welp, everything is dead, just try to make it not suck I guess?

I'm not very far in, but I"m getting a much more hopeless feel from the game. And it owns :)

Also that first boss scared me :( It turns out single handing the assassin's blade is better than two handing it.

There is a bit of an implication in the first game that things are getting worse in the other countries, as the curse spreads and more and more undead and hollows start showing up. They've got things under control for now but it's only a matter of time before it falls apart completely, and then maybe there's no chance of lighting the first flame as less and less are capable of reaching Anor Londo and completing the challenges.

DS3 is definitely a world/reality ending scenario, though. poo poo's crashing hard, and even if you do light the flame it's not going to be as good or as long, and it'll take even more to keep it going next time.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Einwand posted:

Heads up for yourself and others:

Be careful of using the polearm Charge weapon arts (Astora's Greatsword has the same thing). They are incredibly easy to parry, so pay close attention to whatever the other player has in their offhand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

At least 5 people I've invaded tonight have been using the Dark Sword. :effort: