Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

If im doing a pure STR build, what stats do i want? Strength to 60, Dexterity enough to like 18, then just max out vigor? What about Vitality and Endurance? It seems like I'd need a second offensive stat, I was thinking Faith?

How much Vigor is too much if im trying to be a tanky PvP shitlord?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Just about the only non-tragic character in the game is the player, who is just a genocidal maniac.

this is why benhart owns

without your help or anything he just takes his fake rear end awesome greatmoon bluesword to gently caress everyone up, appearing at the final boss

there is no tragedy, just a dude with a weird copy of a legendary sword loving fools up all the way to the end

man I miss his sword. that thing was super, super good despite its durability and looked cooler than the actual mlgs

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Fereydun posted:

this is why benhart owns

without your help or anything he just takes his fake rear end awesome greatmoon bluesword to gently caress everyone up, appearing at the final boss

there is no tragedy, just a dude with a weird copy of a legendary sword loving fools up all the way to the end

man I miss his sword. that thing was super, super good despite its durability and looked cooler than the actual mlgs

He might not even be fooled by it, really. He's just prideful about his fancy sword and heirloom.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG

Nathilus posted:

I'm only up to the end of farron keep but it seems to me that armageddon is simply closer at hand this time around, and that the unkindled are merely a more advanced stage of hollow. Or perhaps hollows whom some aldia-type tinkering has turned into a slightly different variation of the theme.

It seems pretty clear to me that the pc's emptiness is overstated by npcs. Truly souless, unliving beings look like the skelezombies in the ds1 intro and aren't good for much of anything presumably. Only souls invest beings with uniqueness and power. Meanwhile you were once clearly human, and work the same way all the other chosen undead worked, mostly.

But like I said, poo poo seems closer to the absolute end than in the previous games. Not only time but space is massively hosed in a way that even drangleic, the magical back in time poo poo-narnia on the other side of the creepy pond was hosed up. Everything is cramming itself under lothric like a singularity collapsing, and I might have misunderstood something but some lore talks about how the high wall of lothric "appeared". It apprently wasn't constructed but magically farted into existence one day, causing some problems for the people who had work to do outside of it. It all just suggests to me that we arrive at a very advanced stage in the process.

The way I've sort of puzzled it out is that Lordran works almost like a kind of cosmic hot air balloon. When the First Flame is roaring brightly and everything is good, everything kind of expands outwards. Time progresses normally and countless fractal possibilities of the same basic cosmology play out. When the flame starts to fade, though, the world sort of contracts back in on itself. Time gets murky and malleable. Sometimes you get to go into a giant's memory, kick his butt, and then that's just how things happened. All of the separate worlds and potentialities start to smoosh together. The phantoms of heroes long past and other undead somehow undertaking the same journey as you flit across the path. It gets a little bit worse each time the flame has to be restarted, because the hot air balloon expands a bit less and contracts a bit more after every cycle because there's less fuel to rekindle it. By the time the Lords of Cinder have left their thrones, the world has contracted into itself so much that geography itself has ceased to be a nominally static thing. Little bits of the world are popping up in places they shouldn't be, and the High Wall of Lothric, as you mentioned, seems not to have been intended as a high wall at all. If you look at the geography of the place where the gargoyles let you down, it looks like something forcibly pushed Lothric up, or maybe the Undead settlement just sank down. Either way, there's some seriously nonlinear spacetime wreaking havoc. The narrator even calls the Lands of the Lords of Cinder transitory. They didn't really start there. Whoever is left in Lothric to hope for things is probably hoping that if the fire is linked, they'll go more or less back to where they should be.

I think it's also worth noting how the treatment of the Undead has changed over time. It started out that the powers that be just exiled anybody who started to outlive their expiration date to the far corners of the earth and hoped things would fix themselves eventually. Not so now. An entire Legion of Undead now operate out of Farron and work to contain the Abyss. People even have dreams of going and joining the legion, and the Abyss Watchers have evidently buried entire countries to keep the dark from spreading without significant reprisal. The curse is just a fact of life now. Londor is an entire nation of Hollows. Not just undead, but Hollows. They're feared and detested, but they enjoy a great deal of power and influence nonetheless. The curse is old news, we've got bigger problems, like how Farron Keep just gave the Carthus Catacombs a high five. Things have gotten REALLY bad. The balloon is all old and worn out.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I ended up beating the Lothric Princes by summoning two other people. I can't imagine being able to beat them by myself. I can't believe you receive less souls from them then the insanely easy boss in Archdragon Peak.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I was about to make a big dumb post about how Gundyr's sucks, but then I owned a couple people in a row, and it's actually awesome.

Just got to be tricky and smart about mixing up your attacks.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So in Lothric Castle, in a side alley past the two dragons there are two Lothric Knights just kneeling in front of a knight corpse and I figure "They must be guarding a secret!" and murder them both. Nope. Just two sad dudes mourning a dead comrade

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Your Computer posted:

I've said before in this thread that this might be my biggest "issue" with DS3. It's completely bleak from beginning to end with no breathing room, it's almost exhausting. I'm pretty sure that just means they nailed the atmosphere they were going for thoughbut I still miss Majula.

I'm eating it the gently caress up actually. Yeah, they clearly nailed it in this regard.

Jastiger posted:

But in 3......I mean...is there even a civilization left to be exiled from? It sure doesn't seem like it. I get the feeling that there isn't some "Until later, bro" or "Hey fix this and maybe solve some problems for the rest of humanity". Its...welp, everything is dead, just try to make it not suck I guess?

Yeah I get the same feeling. It's hard to know in any of the games which of the nations you hear about but don't see still exist because of time fuckery. Does Mirrah still exist when you meet lucatiel? Hard to say. The question might be nonsensical since you are both from different times, and in a third time. Catalina at least apparently made it up until right before emo mode 3 though. But regardless poo poo is still clearly doing down in the world, even in the intro period which is presumably so far advanced that very few traces of what you see in drangleic exist. It might be winding down but it's happening very slowly. But yeah then three. You barely even hear about living kingdoms and one of the big ones seems to be composed of dark-worshipping free hollows. All the major anchors of the world are right there, crammed up against one another, and almost utterly dead.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I didn't really get the impression that much of anything was ending in DS2. Your own personal sanity is in danger and you're in a far off corner of the world, but the world at large seemed like it was doing fine.

That's just the impression I always got from Majula and the opening anyway :shrug:

They went more personal with the narrative but there were nods to the fact that things were winding down outside. Hollows only start appearing near the end for example and there is ample evidence they'd been appearing for a really long time when ypu arrive on scene. Also most of the great wonders are still products of the first age of fire. No sorcery ever ends up being as potent as that of oolacile or seath. No knights are badical enough to have a room full of drake heads, after the archetypical ones all burn. Immitation annor londo is a pale shadow of the original. Vendrick never achieved a power like that of gwyn or the original chosen undead. Some human empires have risen to glory and human dark-mastery and soul-knowledge have grown, but overall the entire cycle seems less than the one that came before. Which makes sense because the renewal sacrifice involves converting large hunks of the most potent soulstuff into ash. Almost makes you start wondering if linking the flame is the right thing to do! (Serpent everlording 4 life)

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Tequila Sunrise posted:

If im doing a pure STR build, what stats do i want? Strength to 60, Dexterity enough to like 18, then just max out vigor? What about Vitality and Endurance? It seems like I'd need a second offensive stat, I was thinking Faith?

How much Vigor is too much if im trying to be a tanky PvP shitlord?

Don't bother with FTH unless you want FTH. You don't need a second damage stat on a str build - you will hit anything hard enough.

If I were to just throw out a cookie cutter str build, I would do something like
VGR - 40
END - 40
VIT - 30-40
STR - 40+
Dex 18 or there abouts
As little INT/FTH/Luck possible.

VIT can be fiddled with, but the point of a STR build is using the gently caress huge weapons, and they're heavy. Even with a ton of VIT it can be difficult to fit everything in under 70% equip load. So exactly how much VIT is good depends entirely on the armor and weapon(s) you want to use. Also, increases the subtractive element of DEF, making small/faster weapons generally less damaging.

END for stamina. Pretty sure it hard caps at 40. More stamina, more attacking, more damage. I am finding this less important than before, and literally all of my characters still have base END and don't have any problems. The big gently caress off weapons are very stamina hungry, though, so it could be the difference between two attacks putting you at stamina deficit.

VGR slows down a lot at 30, but considering how heavy the big weapons are, it'll be difficult to fit heavier armor into a build - having extra health is nothing to sneeze at. This is especially true where the big heavy weapons will sometimes need you to face tank something to get a good clean hit in on something.

Anything else is non-sense, and usually a matter of novelty builds, like Greatswords that cast Wrath of Gods - in those cases the physical damage scales with physical stats, but the weapon art special spell effect would scale with Faith. You sort of need to tailor a build explicitly for these sort of weapons. The above will work for like 90% of the "STR" weapons.

GatewayOfLastResort
Oct 11, 2007

I'm saving up such a laugh.
Any particularly good low requirement weapons to turn into dark/chaos or is just a straight up broad/longsword the correct choice?

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Dazzling Addar posted:

A good writeup

Yeah that's more or less how I see things as well. I love the idea of Londor, it is my favorite bit of lore from this game yet. As you said, people have gone from locking up the undead or throwing them in a pit to just kinda letting them do their own thing as long as they don't publically eat anyone. Hollows are NBD really everyone is having ontological inertia problems.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The ps4 trophy completion percents on souls games is so insanely high compared to most games . I guess the people that buy them just don't plan on loving around.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I moved past the Untended Graves boss and explored a little further, spoke to the person there and then went back to Firelink Shrine and chatted with Ludleth.

Sooooo, in Dark Souls 1 & 2 poo poo was hosed. In this game, poo poo is TURBO-hosed :stare:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So Dragon Slayer Armor. poo poo boss, probably the most "video gamey" if that makes sense because the only thing he ever hit me with were the stupid shockwaves. I can't think of too many other bosses in the series that used shockwaves outside of the giant monsters like the dragons and even then it wasn't a shockwave so much as the wind from impact. Fun poo poo though, as soon as I beat him and was basking in my post-victory glow and watching the butterflies to figure out what the gently caress they were, the one behind me fired off one last cheap shot that launched me off the edge. Bastard.

EDIT:
Guys, I think my graphics card is sick. It went back to normal as soon as I looked away and went back so. :shrug:

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Apr 23, 2016

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
So the host can run into the room where you trigger Wolnir, but invading phantoms are locked out, giving them a safe zone to heal. Ugh.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Jesus christ.... i love love love this game but they HAVE to fix this shitass netcode. Summons can't get in fog doors, boss fights are cancelling out because of frame rate even when solo... jesus From fix your loving poo poo

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Nuebot posted:

So Dragon Slayer Armor. poo poo boss, probably the most "video gamey" if that makes sense because the only thing he ever hit me with were the stupid shockwaves. I can't think of too many other bosses in the series that used shockwaves outside of the giant monsters like the dragons and even then it wasn't a shockwave so much as the wind from impact. Fun poo poo though, as soon as I beat him and was basking in my post-victory glow and watching the butterflies to figure out what the gently caress they were, the one behind me fired off one last cheap shot that launched me off the edge. Bastard.

EDIT:
Guys, I think my graphics card is sick. It went back to normal as soon as I looked away and went back so. :shrug:

That looks,like it only loaded in the bump or specular map and forgot about the texture, not a dying GPU.

Trust me you'll know a dying GPU when you see one.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
I have been doing low-level mound maker play in the Undead Settlement as a Bloodborne cosplay (silver mask, fallen knight chest, butcher knife) and it's interesting to see how people react, kind of like a social experiment. I put my sign down so they know what they're getting when they summon me, but the reactions have been very mixed. Sometimes the host attacks me as soon as we come in sight, sometimes they back off and watch me kill a few mobs before warily following, and sometimes they just wave and charge right into a shitload of enemies. It's a fun covenant.

Nuebot posted:

EDIT:

You found the secret path to Ravelord Nito

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Nuebot posted:

EDIT:

Don't worry about it. My friend's GPU will straight up fail to output video (no signal), mine will occasionally throw out crazy hosed geometry artifacts (geometry stretched off into infinity). In normal circumstances these sort of things would be indicative of hardware failures. Generic power in the former. VRAM in the latter.

The software is just hosed up, where it was OK before the most recent patch, to say nothing of the generic crash to desktop "Dark Souls 3 is not responding".

Don't worry about it unless you see problems in other games.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Also, at 50/20 STR/DEX for UGS at least, no infusion for any of my infusable UGS offer an improvement on damage. I'm really underwhelmed by infusions in this game.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Just beat the game. I could have taken the final boss on but after almost 50 hours I just wanted to be done with this game. So I just took him on via trio. Ironically I did so with as a duo at first but the other player was so bad he just made things worse.

My thoughts on the game:

- Significantly better than Dark Souls 2 though not quite as good as Dark Souls 1
- The hardest game in the series by far
- The best bosses in the series
- It is sad that Dark Souls seems to be the only one in the series with its incredibly interconnecting map that was perfect for exploration
- The least amount of "bullshit" of the three games, if that makes sense

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I beat DS3 in about 30 hours with almost zero graphics/lag/network issues. My second playthrough is loving PLAGUED with issues. I just don't get it. I just don't get why From can't afford competent play-testers and QA teams. Like, they sell lots and lots of games... why can't they code them competently? Why can't they hire some... y'know.. DETAILS people to help them when they get distracted by a shiny coin or a neighborhood dog or whatever it is that compels them to release things with catastrophic bugs... I just don't understand.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

This is fine. I'm tempted to go fists though just so I can relive my past glory.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I moved past the Untended Graves boss and explored a little further, spoke to the person there and then went back to Firelink Shrine and chatted with Ludleth.

Sooooo, in Dark Souls 1 & 2 poo poo was hosed. In this game, poo poo is TURBO-hosed :stare:

I unno, that zone seems so hamfisted that it doesn't really deserve to fit anywhere. Like it is a cool concept but why on earth is it connected to anything.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Slooowly making progress on SL22 Dancer with a +2 weapon. I can make it to the second phase semi-consistently! I swear to god my rear end better look half as good as hers does in her pants.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Is there a SL cap, or does it matter? With my pure STR guy im worried about a few very minor stat differences. I see a lot of builds talking about SL100, Is there a reason why something like SL105 would be a problem?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

This library place is spooky and I learned the wax melts off your head in a very bad place and got the spooky touch.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Is there a SL cap, or does it matter? With my pure STR guy im worried about a few very minor stat differences. I see a lot of builds talking about SL100, Is there a reason why something like SL105 would be a problem?

People like to stop at a sensible level to keep PVP active and healthy, since the matchmaking is done by calculating level ranges. If you don't care about PVP, do whatever the hell you want. If you do, you can always respec if you feel like you've wasted stat points. Of course, if you're a die-hard minmaxer and you picked the wrong starting class... :v:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

kater posted:

I unno, that zone seems so hamfisted that it doesn't really deserve to fit anywhere. Like it is a cool concept but why on earth is it connected to anything.

If I'm understanding what happened properly, that shrine was the one from Ludleth's world, and when the chosen Undead didn't rise (presumably that's the body the harpies are hanging around, it's the equivalent to where you first rose from the dead) and the bonfires weren't linked, Ludleth "willed" a new pocket reality to be formed where the linking could happen? If that's right, then I'm presuming Untended Graves is where it is because it's the point where Ludleth entered the game world after willing it into existence?

I might be getting that all wrong, but based on what he told me, and what the person at the end of UG said, and the Firekeeper's "vision", that's how I took things to be. Which makes the world even more hosed up than I thought.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jerusalem posted:

If I'm understanding what happened properly, that shrine was the one from Ludleth's world, and when the chosen Undead didn't rise (presumably that's the body the harpies are hanging around, it's the equivalent to where you first rose from the dead) and the bonfires weren't linked, Ludleth "willed" a new pocket reality to be formed where the linking could happen? If that's right, then I'm presuming Untended Graves is where it is because it's the point where Ludleth entered the game world after willing it into existence?

I might be getting that all wrong, but based on what he told me, and what the person at the end of UG said, and the Firekeeper's "vision", that's how I took things to be. Which makes the world even more hosed up than I thought.

The speculation I've heard is that it's Prince Lothric's firelink, since he chose not to link the fire. Our firelink is Ludleth's.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

The speculation I've heard is that it's Prince Lothric's firelink, since he chose not to link the fire. Our firelink is Ludleth's.

That doesn't make any sense to me considering Lothric isn't an Unkindled from ages past and was born into the royal family.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So I can't figure out how to get this one item. What do I have to do to reach it?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Getting invaded in the Catacombs is getting really loving old. :smith: How do I get to that bonfire you can see where the bone boulder rolls down to?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Nuebot posted:

So I can't figure out how to get this one item. What do I have to do to reach it?

Jump from higher up.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Tequila Sunrise posted:

No SL cap, but matchmaking is based on SL. People like to stop at a reasonable level so that there is some build variety in PvP, otherwise there is nothing but SL 811 (or whatever 99 in all stats would be) ninja flipping around in heavy armor and firing magic death rays out of their skyscraper huge swords.

If you want to go to 105, there shouldn't be a problem, and there often times ends up being a few different brackets. So you'll find people with extremely conservative builds that like playing at SL80, others who think that is too constrictive going up to 100, and others who think there is better variety at 120 or even all the way to 180.

Right now I am thinking the SL100 meta is too low. People are probably discounting VIT after ADP got cut (for luck, which is functionally just an alternate damage stat), and Attunement is now optionally important for melee builds. I would expect the meta to slide up toward about 120.

But again, since matchmaking is in a level range, if you're looking for just another level or two for your build, it won't break anything, for example, some people might actually stick to SL90 so they can technically matchup in the SL80 and SL100 brackets, and builds like these also technically keep the brackets "honest", since even 1 level over 100 and someone like you would be "out". But this is really only important for things like 'fight clubs' where for example a SL90 host summons people via red signs or whatever and has the phantoms duke it out for shits and giggles. If you have no interest in getting that involved in the PvP it's basically irrelevant, although even for PvE, staying down around the lower levels can potentially help you find more signs for COOP when going into NG++

tl;dr the SL meta is just a matter of matchmaking as an informal community standard. There are different brackets, including those all the way up at max level.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Bardeh posted:

Getting invaded in the Catacombs is getting really loving old. :smith: How do I get to that bonfire you can see where the bone boulder rolls down to?

Stop embering if invasions are too much of a problem.

But the bonfire is literally on the same level. Just turn left from those bars and follow the path. It takes you right there if you don't drop off anywhere inbetween.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I didn't get it at all to be honest.

The crone says its a place/timeline/cycle where the player (or whoever) never showed up, which presumably explains the place going to poo poo. Except Champion isn't corrupted by the abyss like he is in the original? Like shouldn't that be the opposite?

I don't really know how to reconcile Ludleth saying the Eyes were what spurred him into action either. Like they can't be the same eyes, right? He's just speaking about the concept? Also does them being in Irina's place mean anything?

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Finally got my intelligence up to 60, and now I want to start pumping dex. What's a good pure dex weapon that swings fast so I can abuse magic weapon buffs the best? I've been using a dagger up until now, but the damage is getting to be a bit lacking.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

BillmasterCozb posted:

I know this is a lil' off topic, but isn't marriage a wonderful thing?

Divorce can be as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

BillmasterCozb posted:

I know this is a lil' off topic, but isn't marriage a wonderful thing?

The player character can literally be this game's requisite waifu :pervert: