Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
I agree with whomever said it's kind of lame that the game is built around having time rewind powers and then never getting to use them when it really matters. I was about to say we cant rewind when a life is at risk, like Kate or Chloe, but then no, we rewound at the start of the game when nathan shot chloe so that's not it. Max even rewound so hard she stopped chloes dad from dying. So i dunno, feels a little weak, but maybe it's cause I'm just pissed Chloe is dead and I really, really want there to be a better happy ending. Like some magic tornado poo poo better happen and Max rewinds like the entire loving week back and fixes everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Jade Star posted:

So i dunno, feels a little weak, but maybe it's cause I'm just pissed Chloe is dead and I really, really want there to be a better happy ending. Like some magic tornado poo poo better happen and Max rewinds like the entire loving week back and fixes everything.
I don't know what the point of the "quantum leaping into a photo" bit before was if it wasn't to set up doing it again in episode 5.

I'd like a happy ending too, but I also like it when games have the balls not to have a happy ending, so it's hard to lose from here.

Cuveball Sliders
Oct 9, 2007
poo poo got serious.

It finally clicked for me when he said he would see them later tonight. That's just a weird and creepy thing for a teacher to say to two high school girls.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Max's powers not working when she's fatigued from overusing them was already a thing, her not being able to use them when she's passing out due to powerful tranquilizer doesn't seem unreasonable.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

When I first played the game I was halfway expecting Mr. Jefferson to be the second bad guy because he was the only character (potentially) affected by major player decisions who hadn't done anything really important to the plot yet. I figured it would be weird for Nathan's dad to make his first appearance so late in the story, so instead I hedged my bets on the only important character who we didn't know that much about yet.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Danaru posted:

So uh, I'm suddenly reminded of something Jefferson said in the first episode that always stuck out as weird to me

[timg]http://lpix.org/2424867/79f29cd4d71a465f907a25813b4f2628[1].png[/timg]
[timg]http://lpix.org/2424868/eb30842fa4534fe78a77b8e96377ba3e[1].png[/timg]

It would also certainly explain why he was so quick to downplay what happened to Kate

Pretty uh, pretty fuckin' sure we've got enough dirt to call down the entire police department

:smugbert:

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Ok, I have to admit I did not see the twist coming. I guess maybe if I was more suspicious about "who is the murderer??", but I think the time powers and end of the world stuff is sufficiently distracting that it's not necessarily the central plot focus.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
I didn't even suspect Jefferson until he talked to Max at the party. I heard the little hitch when he said "Yeah, Nathan's really broke up about... uh... Kate" and I immediately stopped to think how ridiculous that line was, like 1) everybody knows Nathan's a huge douche who didn't give a drat about Kate, so why would you even say that? and 2) when did you get so buddy buddy with Nathan enough to know who or what he's upset about? So when Chloe got shot, my first reaction was "drat, it's actually Mr. Jefferson, isn't it?"

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Called Jefferson on page 32, go me.
I'm kinda interested in how they'll handle the Chloe situation - there's time shenanigans but bringing her back would rather undermine everything the story says about having to deal with consequences.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 23, 2016

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

FractalSandwich posted:

Too bad she wasn't prepared for having her powers instantly and completely turned off by a syringeful of kryptonite.

Hey even if it wasn't instant, we all know Max's rewind doesn't apply to her inventory and tranquilizers in your body is about as deep in your inventory as things can get.

edit: Also I guess Jefferson's note to Nathan in the Dark Room seems out of place in retrospect, but really Jefferson talking about his vast wisdom doesn't seem too out of line with Nathan's warlock father talking about how his son is going to inherit great power. Really the tipoff is that why the gently caress would a father be supplying his kid with burner phones?

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 23, 2016

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!
That does create an interesting situation though: What if she rewinds after she's out of tranquillizers into the period where she really should be under their effect?

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.
I did not see that coming. Posts in the thread post-reveal have provided evidence that shows this was alluded to, but wowee they did a good job of sidetracking the player on this one. I sorta chalked Jefferson's appearance at the party up to the game's occasionally weird writing.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Atomikus posted:

That does create an interesting situation though: What if she rewinds after she's out of tranquillizers into the period where she really should be under their effect?

When Max rewinds time she is always still moving forwards from the point where she started rewinding (that's how she got Franks keys and how she can teleport through locked doors), it's just everything else around her that rewinds. Depending on how far she can rewind she could regain consciousness immediately, although I'll guess that she's restrained when she wakes up that all that would happen from an outsiders view is that she'd disappear from the junkyard and appear tied up at whatever location Jefferson stashed her.

Dingwall
Feb 28, 2016
honestly, when i first played it, i didn't know jefferson would be the twist because i rushed through the game. i'm not one that sits and goes through every thing that's highlighted, i just wanted to know more of the story that i missed some key details when i played. that said, i was kinda hoping that jefferson would have some kind of power to balance out max's. max can rewind time? jefferson could do the same thing in a similar fashion or some such and he caught her because he knows about the powers. maybe i was thinking that it would be like some supernatural poo poo and then maybe jefferson was actually a relative of the prescotts or something.

but i guess him just being creepy serial killer works, too.

GladRagKraken
Mar 27, 2010
Wow I not only didn't see that coming, I didn't see the loving genre coming. I've been watching along assuming this was some coming to grips with becoming an adult story, with time travel as some sort of obtuse metaphor for regrets. I didn't expect them to ever figure out what happened to Rachel. Even after finding the photos with Nathan and finding Rachel's body my assumption was that they were playing some stupid game, possibly related to Nathan's dad's religious mumbo jumbo and things got out of hand. She dies in an accident and Nathan freaks out and does a half assed job covering his rear end and falls straight off the deep end. Ya know, dumb teen poo poo.

My reaction to the Jefferson reveal was "Oh gently caress, I've been watching a murder mystery?"

Dingwall
Feb 28, 2016

GladRagKraken posted:

My reaction to the Jefferson reveal was "Oh gently caress, I've been watching a murder mystery?"

it's also fun going back to replay the game, knowing this information and everything that jefferson says is either assholeish or incredibly creepy, too.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
This twist did get me and I only really noticed something being off with Jefferson when he made that speech at a what's supposed to be a party for teenagers. I did not think it was Nathan's dad because that guy is basically framed as Donald Trump and not into the art stuff.

Skelicopter
Feb 19, 2013

More like Prince Alarming

Skelicopter posted:

Jefferson was obviously being a real piece of poo poo, but it seems dumb to blame him when the rich psychopathic gun-waving rapist is also in the room.

:irony:

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING

FractalSandwich posted:

I don't know what the point of the "quantum leaping into a photo" bit before was if it wasn't to set up doing it again in episode 5.
Yeah. Literally right before entering the party, Max got a selfie which isn't in her possession (and thus isn't something Jefferson would take/destroy), so all she has to do is get away and get Warren to hand her that photo for five seconds.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

FractalSandwich posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that's how she gets the flashback at the beginning - she'll probably eventually leap into the selfie she took in class that first day.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that's how she gets the flashback at the beginning - she'll probably eventually leap into the selfie she took in class that first day.

Whatever happened to the polaroid she managed to tear in half somehow and left in the girl's bathroom way back at the beginning? Didn't Nathan pick that up and that was how he knew to go after her?

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Hello, it's Monday so I've got a :siren: NEW VIDEO :siren:

:siren:Max has been taken to the dark room. Things are going extremely bad.:siren:

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING
Well, that was easy.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

No. It most certainly was not.

FractalSandwich posted:

At the drop of a hat, Jefferson suddenly turns into a moustache-twirling supervillain who can't wait to tell James Bond about his diabolical scheme, and even gives us the the old "we are not so different, you and I". Never heard that one before.

This is a bad joke.
To be fair, you are looking at this from the perspective of a time traveller. From his perspective he has already won and is about to kill you, leaving no trace. He has every reason to let it all fall to the side and be a ridiculous, stereotypical arsehole.

Crawfish fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 25, 2016

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
At the drop of a hat, Jefferson suddenly turns into a moustache-twirling supervillain who can't wait to tell James Bond about his diabolical scheme, and even gives us the the old "we are not so different, you and I". Never heard that one before.

This is a bad joke.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I love not only how much this episode recontextualizes Mr. Jefferson, but also how bizarre Max's behavior must seem to everyone else.

Between selfies, Max went from a really shy kid with a crush on her teacher to an extremely confident one who tells her teacher to go to hell. Victoria and Jefferson's confusion at Max's sudden inspirational speech was pretty great.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

FractalSandwich posted:

This is a bad joke.
No kidding, talk about a nosedive in the writing.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
"Why are you doing this?"
"Oh, I'm so glad you asked that!"

I can't take this seriously, I'm sorry.

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette
I love that photo you take, not just for the gently caress you Mr. Jefferson it is, but how it's at it's core a bit of defiance against his thesis.

After his rambling about wanting to catch the moment of a loss of innocence, showing someone smiling after having something horrible happen to them, is pretty much exactly the opposite of his goals. I love it.

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING

Crawfish posted:

No. It most certainly was not.
It feels kind of anti-climactic. I'm on board with Jefferson suddenly turning into a creepy serial killer, but that was so... tepid a conclusion to that arc (assuming it is, which I'm a bit dubious of). I mean, he's arrested and everything in a series of photo stills.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Oh hey, we get to be responsible for Victoria's predicament.

Although, uh... yeah. The writing does... uh... seem to be a bit less impressive and... subtle... than it once was.

Victoria's stuff especially seemed a bit forced and weird. I never heard those lines before, I never thought to talk to her a second time in my game

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 25, 2016

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Honestly, all of episode 5, with the exception of one segment that I consider the best part of the game, is incredibly underwhelming compared to the rest of the game. Jefferson's heel turn is extremely comical. He is somehow both too sane, and too crazy to be taken seriously. It's like they wanted to make some hipster buffalo bill.

QuoProQuid posted:

I love not only how much this episode recontextualizes Mr. Jefferson, but also how bizarre Max's behavior must seem to everyone else.

Between selfies, Max went from a really shy kid with a crush on her teacher to an extremely confident one who tells her teacher to go to hell. Victoria and Jefferson's confusion at Max's sudden inspirational speech was pretty great.

It's almost as if the game is a teenager power fantasy about being able to say and do the perfect thing every time no matter what...

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 25, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

GlyphGryph posted:

Oh hey, we get to be responsible for Victoria's predicament.
We get to be responsible for a lot of poo poo if this video was any indication. I'm starting to think the whole apocalypse thing is causality trying to reassert itself around Max's fuckery and failing - right now we've created another alternate universe and I'm guessing we'll timehop in it as well.
I still hope they don't bring Chloe back but what's the chances of that happening?

Paul Zuvella posted:

It's almost as if the game is a teenager power fantasy about being able to say and do the perfect thing every time no matter what...
Nothing wrong with that as long as the power fantasy reveals it changes nothing or things for the worse. Sadly I'm not really sure it will anymore, Jefferson's dialogue was really cringeworthy.
Doesn't help the voice actor does a pretty convincing hipster teacher but completely fails to deliver the psycho.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 25, 2016

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

While I agree the writing in this game in general can be mixed in quality, I don't really see a problem with Jefferson's turn. We've only ever seen how he presents himself professionally, and now we're seeing his uh... "bedroom" personality. Which is nasty. :(

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

anilEhilated posted:

We get to be responsible for a lot of poo poo if this video was any indication. I'm starting to think the whole apocalypse thing is causality trying to reassert itself around Max's fuckery and failing - right now we've created another alternate universe and I'm guessing we'll timehop in it as well.
I still hope they don't bring Chloe back but what's the chances of that happening?

Based on the photo montage, Chloe is alive. By reporting Jefferson to David Madsen, Max and Chloe never got the chance to start their investigation.

Which itself is weird, because now we changed our relationship with a bunch of different people and plotlines. Max has probably never met Frank. Warren never got to beat up Nathan. Even the outcome to that dumb surveillance petition is probably going to change.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 25, 2016

Dingwall
Feb 28, 2016

QuoProQuid posted:

i've always liked how this turned out. i liked to see that max was that shy kid in class that no one talked to into the teenager you made her.
i also love max being a total bitch to jefferson, too and him being all confused.
and my favorite line: "go gently caress your selfie."

oh dude, victoria wasn't in my playthrough in the dark room with me. :x wowza.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
I'd like to bring some attention to the little doodle in the corner of Victoria's journal. Good doodle.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I do love the new Max and her "gently caress you" attitude to dealing with this problem though. Definitely some beautiful wish fulfillment from an audience perspective, I can really sympathize with her here.

Panzer Skank posted:

While I agree the writing in this game in general can be mixed in quality, I don't really see a problem with Jefferson's turn. We've only ever seen how he presents himself professionally, and now we're seeing his uh... "bedroom" personality. Which is nasty. :(

It's not that's it nasty, it's that it's... overdone. Maybe they just wanted to convey that he's a dude who really loves the sound of his own voice (he had a monologue while Max was unconscious!) but even then it seems a wee bit much. It just feels like an exposition dump from the authors with Jefferson as a conduit, rather than revealing something about his character through his words and actions it's just telling us about him.

I still liked this section though, it's just hard to take Jefferson seriously.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 25, 2016

GladRagKraken
Mar 27, 2010
Disappointing that after all the playing up the "Your choices matter" angle the end here erases all the choices you've made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

GlyphGryph posted:

It's not that's it nasty, it's that it's... overdone. Maybe they just wanted to convey that he's a dude who really loves the sound of his own voice (he had a monologue while Max was unconscious!) but even then it seems a wee bit much. It just feels like an exposition dump from the authors with Jefferson as a conduit, rather than revealing something about his character through his words and actions it's just telling us about him.

I still liked this section though, it's just hard to take Jefferson seriously.

I largely agree with this, parts of it definitely feel overdone. I do strongly get the impression though that this is a guy who loves his own voice so much he gives monologues to himself while he jerks off. He probably gave a monologue to Chloe after he shot her. I can vividly imagine him giving a lengthy speech to Max while she's knocked out in the back seat of his car, driving to the dark room. On one hand, yeah it's exposition from the writer directly, but on the other hand a thought bubble appears over my head of him giving a fuckin hour long speech to Nathan's corpse while digging a grave for him.

• Locked thread