Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

I just ask potential new boardgame friends how they feel about Vlaada Chvatil, then proceed to befriend / sever based on how many minutes they spend gushing. (Hint, it better be at least 5!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jimbozig posted:

He just likes all the trendy new things. It's like a person saying they are a movie buff and their favorite movies are The Revenant, Fury Road, Deadpool, and Avengers. Like, they're not the worst, but it speaks volumes if your favorites are all from the past 3 years.

After how much he talked up his depth of experience without naming names, it was kind of funny. It reminded me of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOhtuMQED1w

Of course, that was back when it was trendy to assume women who liked sports (and games) didn't really.

Really, I guess I wanted his high praise to come from greater depth. Instant karma for my egotism. :)

jng2058 posted:

Something else you should consider, as a nominal designer, is that people like this vastly outnumber people like you who have a detailed view of game design. Those people therefore represent your customer base. Dismiss their opinions at your peril.

By all means, introduce him to better games. Educate. See WHY he likes the games he does. All of these things will help you design better games yourself. Just waving your hand and saying "Oh, his opinions don't matter because he's never been exposed to the games I prefer" is the definition of hubris and will hurt your designs. :colbert:
Yeah, I get you. I'm not dismissing his opinions. He praised our use of color + icons on the cards, because of potentially color-blind players (not that the colors matter much in this implementation, but still, we did do that intentionally!). In this particular case, he's not the target for the product, which isn't going to be for sale. We're developing it for freshman orientation, as an alternative to having somebody lecturing them for half an hour on degree requirements. I do still think it's funny that he spent five minutes talking up his expertise and talking down traditional games before the big reveal, though. :)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
That reminds me I should consider acquiring a copy of Acquire since that's a classic I remember being really good. The last time I played it, it was with a really old bookshelf edition. I kinda want to play another game of Imperial too even though I'm garbage at that game

al-azad
May 28, 2009

silvergoose posted:

Agreed, 4 is best but 2 and 3 are both good.

There's a solo variant as well that's actually really fun.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

al-azad posted:

There's a solo variant as well that's actually really fun.

:frogon:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

That reminds me I should consider acquiring a copy of Acquire since that's a classic I remember being really good. The last time I played it, it was with a really old bookshelf edition. I kinda want to play another game of Imperial too even though I'm garbage at that game

I played it for the first time recently and it was indeed pretty great. Ahead of its time in its characteristics.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I think this is the one I used. There ended up being a lot of variants than I remember.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Mister Sinewave posted:

I just started a new 2-player Antiquity game on boardgamecore.net - another beginner who barely understands what to do welcome :haw:

This GUI is like speaking Braille. How the hell do I place buildings :argh:

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Lump Shaker posted:

I think you guys are over-reacting. Those are all fairly popular games among the "enthusiast" community. It's not like he said Exploding Kittens.

This is a good point that this thread consistently ignores. 90% of people who say they "love board games" don't even know boardgamegeek exists. And even in the rarified BGG community, T.I.M.E Stories is the 36th highest rated game in the world. Eldritch Horror is #28, and Dead of Winter is #23.

Being more discerning about game mechanics and pitfalls than the average BGG user is one thing--it's what makes this thread worth reading. But scorning "normies" who have actually heard of all the above-listed games is pointless. Have fun being "correct" and "alone".

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Bellmaker posted:

This GUI is like speaking Braille. How the hell do I place buildings :argh:

Yeah the GUI is harsh, but it's functional once you clue into a couple things.

You select a building by the drop-down menu, in the brackets I think is the cost.
The exception to this is the houses - you select them by clicking the one you want to buy (the bottom 5? are free to "buy")
Then look under your city layout and the red tetris piece is the selected building. Rotate if needed.
Click a spot on your city grid (the anchor is the white highlighted square on the tetris piece) and it'll place it on the grid.
If you mess up you have to reset and do it all over :yayclod:

e: Are you the one that joined my game? (Prof. Kink) We could chat ingame if so.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

CaptainRightful posted:

This is a good point that this thread consistently ignores. 90% of people who say they "love board games" don't even know boardgamegeek exists. And even in the rarified BGG community, T.I.M.E Stories is the 36th highest rated game in the world. Eldritch Horror is #28, and Dead of Winter is #23.

Being more discerning about game mechanics and pitfalls than the average BGG user is one thing--it's what makes this thread worth reading. But scorning "normies" who have actually heard of all the above-listed games is pointless. Have fun being "correct" and "alone".

It's a good thing that's not what happened, then. :)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
dang, ATHF understood modern board game themeing ages ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioWC-sT0iZI

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Mister Sinewave posted:

Yeah the GUI is harsh, but it's functional once you clue into a couple things.

You select a building by the drop-down menu, in the brackets I think is the cost.
The exception to this is the houses - you select them by clicking the one you want to buy (the bottom 5? are free to "buy")
Then look under your city layout and the red tetris piece is the selected building. Rotate if needed.
Click a spot on your city grid (the anchor is the white highlighted square on the tetris piece) and it'll place it on the grid.
If you mess up you have to reset and do it all over :yayclod:

e: Are you the one that joined my game? (Prof. Kink) We could chat ingame if so.

I'm in phase 2, I've got no drop-down menu, and can't select houses.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Is there any reason to get Imperial over Imperial 2030 or vice versa?

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

taser rates posted:

Is there any reason to get Imperial over Imperial 2030 or vice versa?

I haven't played 2030 myself, but Imperial is considered the more exacting game by enthusiasts whereas 2030 is a bit more open. They really ought to be in the same box with a double sided map.

Also I would recommend skipping the investor card and the set nation distribution and going straight to the opening auction. Both are lovely training wheels.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

To explain a bit, the investor card injects capital into the game at unpredictable moments and tends to make up for poor play. You'll get better faster if you play without it and I find it much more satisfying to play without.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Rutibex posted:

Also, I'm not trolling when I recommend Arkham Horror. I actually like it, and own it. It's a good thematic game with some light strategy and enough randomness that anyone can join in and have some fun. It even survived the gaming purge that removed Betrayal at House on Haunted Hill from my collection. If I'm a troll, then I have trolled myself as well.

You're either trolling or just being a dick, and either way it's pretty tiresome. You are the ONLY person here who recommends AH, and you somehow seem to recommend it every time somebody asks for suggestions. I like Space Hulk, but I wouldn't recommend it to somebody here because it's widely considered a poo poo game, and everybody else in the thread would tell me (rightly) I was being a jackass.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Rutibex posted:

If I'm a troll, then I have trolled myself as well.

I imagine these words spoken aloud with the voice of a defiant man condemned to die for holding fast to his convictions.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Bellmaker posted:

I'm in phase 2, I've got no drop-down menu, and can't select houses.

Like phase 2 of turn 1? You should start with 6 wood and no other resources. There should be a drop down unless you're looking at someone else's city (click on your own name to see your city)

If that doesn't help ya them idk man, I've barely done this myself.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Mister Sinewave posted:

Like phase 2 of turn 1? You should start with 6 wood and no other resources. There should be a drop down unless you're looking at someone else's city (click on your own name to see your city)

If that doesn't help ya them idk man, I've barely done this myself.

I'm in the same boat (and game) as Bellmaker. No dropdowns, no menus, nothing seems to respond when clicked on. It pops up my city, and says what buildings I'm missing and large angry red text saying "WARNING : DON'T FORGET TO MAN YOUR BUILDINGS BEFORE VALIDATING THE WHOLE PHASE", but won't give me any way to actually do anything.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Xelkelvos posted:

I'd imagine the person is relatively new with not too much exposure to games. Not the worst taste, but could be better.

It also seems honest to me, as all the games listed are cooperative. If you asked me what my favourite games were then I'd list half a dozen in different categories based on weight and length, but then I'm a hobbyist. If you ask someone who plays a lot of games as a social activity rather than as a shared hobby then they will probably list a set of social games and/or experience generators, because either you win or lose together or the game is so short that you don't stop having fun before you're beaten.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Also those are games designed less around mechanical efficiency and more about just generating a good experience for the players (flavor text, cooperation, general shenanigans and table talk). Pretty reasonable picks if that's the genre you're aiming at.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Yeah I think the reason that specifically games like DoW work so well is that most players get feel a sense of accomplishment when they send their dirbly doo to the mcdonald's or whatever and find food. Everyone gets a communal "yay" when dice roll good. Meanwhile, mr. sneaky who doesn't know the game occasionally throws a wrench into a needed card thing and everyone gets to make fun loud accusations at each other. Eventually the game group gets to the point that someone figures out how to as a traitor tank the last turn. Everyone is very excited/mad aboutr this devilish strategy. Now, every game of Dead of Winter is very tense because no one knows if there's someone getting ready to not contribute to the cards at the end of the game and winning as a subtle traitor mastermind! The game keeps getting better!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Crackbone posted:

You are the ONLY person here who recommends AH

Another guy said he likes to run Arkham Horror just last page. I think the game is more popular than you all realize. Most people just don't get a thrill out of stirring up the hornets nest so they avoid talking about it.

Crackbone posted:

I like Space Hulk, but I wouldn't recommend it to somebody here because it's widely considered a poo poo game, and everybody else in the thread would tell me (rightly) I was being a jackass.

See, you do it too. If you like Space Hulk then come out and say it! Be proud of your gaming interests, don't feel the shame of being in the "bad game" closet. We can only fight the bigotry by raising awareness. There are more of us out there than we realize!

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
Some people like to watch Martin Short's "Clifford," but no one is going to earnestly recommend it when people new to film are asking for great movies to see.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

dropkickpikachu posted:

Some people like to watch Martin Short's "Clifford," but no one is going to earnestly recommend it when people new to film are asking for great movies to see.

it really bothers me that Clifford did an episode about disability by having a three legged dog instead of focusing on the main character, a giant dog whose disability is so large that the pet owners had to move to bird island because he was getting too big for the city

also he is red

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
Played Container the other day at a game cafe, and can't help but feel that we weren't really playing in the correct spirit of the game. For those that don't know, it's one of those grail games that sells for a ton of money because it has nice components and is Euro as gently caress.

It's a pretty simple design - you have factories that produce different, you can buy from other people's factories to put on sale at your docks, and you can send your container ship to other people's docks to buy, and then send your ship to the island where your load is auctioned off. We played with the newbie rule that you can sell off one container per round from your factories to get income, but I understand in the actual game the only way to bring more money into the game is through the auctions (whoever wins an auction pays the seller, and the seller takes an equal amount from the bank). However, most of the auctions ended with the seller buying their own cargo (they pay whatever the highest bid was to the bank and take it for themself). This, combined with everybody buying extra factories and warehouses, took a lot of money out of the economy, which meant no one wanted to pay more than the minimum price for containers, and everybody was hoarding cash to make sure they could bid in the auctions and at least force the seller to pay a lot for their own shipment.

Has anyone else played this game? Is it unusual to be selling things for the minimum price all game, or for people to almost always buy their own shpments?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So apparently they released a second edition of Stronghold when i wasn't looking? Is it worth putting the money down for it if i already have the first edition? The art looks kinda ugly but i do like the new look of the majority of the componets.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Rutibex posted:

See, you do it too. If you like Space Hulk then come out and say it! Be proud of your gaming interests, don't feel the shame of being in the "bad game" closet. We can only fight the bigotry by raising awareness. There are more of us out there than we realize!

See, what makes Crackbone a good poster is that he knows that there is a point where it's appropriate to recommend Space Hulk, no matter how bad the game is considered. He knows not just that logic will have his back but also that it'll be precisely what was requested. None of this "I need a party game about the Founding Fathers played with sock puppets for more than 5 players --> Arkham Horror" universal recommendation crap.

I'm talking to you right now like you're not a gimmick, because for gently caress's sake I'm so making GBS threads tired of gimmicks. If you are a gimmick, it's the least funny gimmick I have seen in my 14 years in this godforsaken self-exile to this particular jewel-encrusted hellhole of the internet, and I have seen some poo poo. You're not even the first of your kind-- I could think of a dozen YCS posters back in 2007 using the same gimmick. If you're actually a gimmick, just stop posting. Go back to EvE Online where you came from, go gently caress with Goonswarm in whatever war they're doing, troll the Star Citizen thread, whatever. Just leave.

If you're not a gimmick, then do us all a favor (including yourself) and never recommend Arkham Horror again. Even Eldritch is strictly superior-- literally the same game but better. There will never be a circumstance where Arkham is the "best" game for a recommendation like how Space Hulk might eventually be the best game for somebody's recommendation. No one likes it, even ironically.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Impermanent posted:

Yeah I think the reason that specifically games like DoW work so well is that most players get feel a sense of accomplishment when they send their dirbly doo to the mcdonald's or whatever and find food. Everyone gets a communal "yay" when dice roll good.

Going back to this to avoid the salt mine unleashed above me.

In the past year, I have grown very tired of using dice as a resolution mechanic. Even in coop games, it kills the experience for me if I set up my only turn in 5 minutes to depend on a very specific result only to have it arbitrarily ripped from me. The merits Pre decision randomness as opposed to post decision randomness had been discussed in this thread.

Here's my confession : I cannot think of a better way to convey the catharsis of a hail Mary to end a coop game than a die roll. In coop games like Pandemic or Hanabi, after a certain point the game is solved. The actual end point of the game isn't interesting once you've discovered that you can get there safely. Compare this to gathering all of the Chi and monks on a single space to kill Wu Feng in Ghost Stories and having everything come down to one final attempt to salvage the village. Everything until the literal end of the game is tense.

I don't know how if there's a coop game that has the same feeling without relying on post decision dice. The closest I can think of is comboing off in Legendary, but that's a bad game I really don't want to play ever, so I avoid it. Any ideas?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Broken Loose posted:

See, what makes Crackbone a good poster is that he knows that there is a point where it's appropriate to recommend Space Hulk, no matter how bad the game is considered. He knows not just that logic will have his back but also that it'll be precisely what was requested. None of this "I need a party game about the Founding Fathers played with sock puppets for more than 5 players --> Arkham Horror" universal recommendation crap.

I'm talking to you right now like you're not a gimmick, because for gently caress's sake I'm so making GBS threads tired of gimmicks. If you are a gimmick, it's the least funny gimmick I have seen in my 14 years in this godforsaken self-exile to this particular jewel-encrusted hellhole of the internet, and I have seen some poo poo. You're not even the first of your kind-- I could think of a dozen YCS posters back in 2007 using the same gimmick. If you're actually a gimmick, just stop posting. Go back to EvE Online where you came from, go gently caress with Goonswarm in whatever war they're doing, troll the Star Citizen thread, whatever. Just leave.

If you're not a gimmick, then do us all a favor (including yourself) and never recommend Arkham Horror again. Even Eldritch is strictly superior-- literally the same game but better. There will never be a circumstance where Arkham is the "best" game for a recommendation like how Space Hulk might eventually be the best game for somebody's recommendation. No one likes it, even ironically.

Guy was asking for co-op games for two, I have played Arkham Horror as a co-op game for two and had fun so I recommended it. Its not more complex than Robinson Crusoe (which I also mentioned), so I don't see what the big issue is. :shrug:

I own a copy of Arkham and play it all the time. I don't own Eldritch, so I can't recommend it in good faith. I could take a picture of it standing next to the Arkham box and todays newspaper, to prove it if you want. I'm sorry if we disagree on some stuff, but I'm not going to stop recommending games that I genuinely enjoy. The fact that I have all kinds of fun with it tell me that your assessment of what makes for "bad" games is wildly incorrect anyway.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Apr 23, 2016

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!
Yeah but don't you also happen to play it with like a dozen house rules or something? I feel like I remember you saying something to that effect at some point.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
You won't know the true meaning of fun, until you buy Fields of Fire. You too, Broken Loose.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Robust Laser posted:

Yeah but don't you also happen to play it with like a dozen house rules or something? I feel like I remember you saying something to that effect at some point.

Yeah a bit, but I'm the only one that bothered to read the rules book so they stop being house rules and just ending up being "the rules" :twisted:

I DMed a lot of roleplaying games before I got into boardgames. I know you all have a "thing" about house rules, but in my experience it really pays to be a bit flexible. I have never met a person that play D&D with 100% of the rules, and I don't see why that can't carry over into (some) boardgames. Obviously not tight euros like Agricola, but games like Arkham and Talisman are loose enough that they can be tinkered with to suit the group.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

That makes Arkham Horror by definition an insincere recommendation, because what you're playing isn't really Arkham Horror.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
While we're doing recommendations, I recommend Munchkin with the house rule where each turn, instead of playing a card as normal, a player rips a card in half. Once there are no more cards to rip, throw them all back in the box and burn it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Broken Loose posted:

Amen brother

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

You guys would all be lying if you said you wouldn't recomment "Campaign for North Africa" as a fun, intense party game for 10.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rutibex posted:

I don't own Eldritch, so I can't recommend it in good faith.

I am now tempted to set up a PBF of Eldritch so you can see the difference. I own Arkham and all its expansions, I have enjoyed it, but I know I'm not going to play it again when I can play Eldritch. When people tell you it is the same game with the same feel but much more streamlined without any loss of involvement, they are not kidding. It is more rewarding and enjoyable in every way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

Played Container the other day at a game cafe, and can't help but feel that we weren't really playing in the correct spirit of the game. For those that don't know, it's one of those grail games that sells for a ton of money because it has nice components and is Euro as gently caress.

It's a pretty simple design - you have factories that produce different, you can buy from other people's factories to put on sale at your docks, and you can send your container ship to other people's docks to buy, and then send your ship to the island where your load is auctioned off. We played with the newbie rule that you can sell off one container per round from your factories to get income, but I understand in the actual game the only way to bring more money into the game is through the auctions (whoever wins an auction pays the seller, and the seller takes an equal amount from the bank). However, most of the auctions ended with the seller buying their own cargo (they pay whatever the highest bid was to the bank and take it for themself). This, combined with everybody buying extra factories and warehouses, took a lot of money out of the economy, which meant no one wanted to pay more than the minimum price for containers, and everybody was hoarding cash to make sure they could bid in the auctions and at least force the seller to pay a lot for their own shipment.

Has anyone else played this game? Is it unusual to be selling things for the minimum price all game, or for people to almost always buy their own shpments?

If you're playing with the newbie rule then you're not playing the "real" game so your opinions might be skewed, because that inflates the economy and gives the game a much higher tolerance for self-purchasing and upgrading.

In general, the catch-22 is that it's often really efficient to buy your own shipments if they're cheap but you need to make sure the economy can handle it: every player needs to be accepting auction wins because that's the only way anybody will have money, and when new money comes into the game you want to be the one getting it. It's important that everybody work together to grow the economy, and once auctions start naturally growing in value because of inflation there are pretty interesting choices about who actually wins the auctions.

The game generally falls on a spectrum between complete economic crash (minimum price only) and economic boom (prices get crazy, think $20+ bids for auctions), and generally the game skews more to the right as people get more experienced...but where exactly it falls is up to player choices and you need to be able to play well anywhere on that spectrum (which is really hard and also one of the things that makes the game so good). If everyone decides to upgrade and buy own auctions you're going to get a horrible shitshow like the game you had, but it can still be interesting because you're still going to want to craft good boats and make people bid as little as possible on them.