Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
Actually now that I remember it Chieftains is the superior British version of Team Yankee because it ends with the protagonist crew boiling alive in their tank with the hatches welded down by the thermal pulse when the Soviets escalate to tactical nuke employment :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Anyone going to Enfilade! next month? I've never been but it looks like it could be fun, I'm trying to decide if I want to sign up for a table and bring my ACW stuff or just wander around as a tourist.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

BeigeJacket posted:

I found the prose in Team Yankee to be charmingly crappy. Once you get through the minimal amount of 'characterisation' and set up at the beginning it turns into dopey fun.

Coyle is clearly only interested in the combat, especially the tank fights, which is fine by me. Although, not once in that book did the Soviets ever appear as a genuine threat.

Any London goons here playing Team Yankee btw? A few guys at my club got the starter boxes, but I'm the only one who's built and pained his poo poo.

Yea no wonder a US army major in 1980s western front would be biased in favor of the US army???

Any good fiction that doesn't paint the Soviets as Enemy at the Gates or as an inert ball of clay?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
K-19? The Hunt for Red October, maybe?

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
"Red Army" by Ralph Peters came out about the same time as Team Yankee and Red Storm Rising and is a similar story told entirely from the Soviet POV and consciously tries to offer a counter narrative to the whole faceless numberless Russian bear trope.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Phi230 posted:

Yea no wonder a US army major in 1980s western front would be biased in favor of the US army???

Any good fiction that doesn't paint the Soviets as Enemy at the Gates or as an inert ball of clay?

Seconding Red Army

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

JcDent posted:

20mm is priced similarly to 15mm.
You're buying your 20mm in the wrong places. That said, you can, if you want, go nuts and buy absolutely beautiful 20mm metals from Elhiem or Brittania or whoever. I just don't see why you would at any scale larger than platoon.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

BeigeJacket posted:

I found the prose in Team Yankee to be charmingly crappy. Once you get through the minimal amount of 'characterisation' and set up at the beginning it turns into dopey fun.

Coyle is clearly only interested in the combat, especially the tank fights, which is fine by me. Although, not once in that book did the Soviets ever appear as a genuine threat.

Any London goons here playing Team Yankee btw? A few guys at my club got the starter boxes, but I'm the only one who's built and pained his poo poo.

I'm waiting for the Bundeswehr and BAOR to hit. Americans and Soviets are too mainstream.

ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011

Phi230 posted:

I really loved Red Thrust by Steven Zaloga. Each chapter revolved around one aspect of the Soviet Army. From what I remember.
Motor Rifle vs. German reservists
T-80s vs. M1s
MiG-29s vs. CF-18s
Motor Rifles vs. Bunderswehr in a chemical attack
Spetznaz taking a crossroads, then getting overrun by Leopard IIs

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Sharp Practice 2 pdf has arrived and its wonderful

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Serotonin posted:

Sharp Practice 2 pdf has arrived and its wonderful

How many figures do you need and what does it play like?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Thundercloud posted:

http://toofatlardies.co.uk/blog/?p=5479

Edit: not meant to be a snippy reply, just rushing around at the moment and also trying to digest the book.

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Apr 23, 2016

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis

Thundercloud posted:

about 50 per side, checks out the youtube tutorials

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Yeah 40-50 dependent on troop type/ quality.

The games intention is to replicate sligthly pulpy novels/dramas of the era while still being pretty historical. Its sort of character driven (although the degree to which it is is up to the players, there's rules for pretty much close to a role playing experience with characteristics and traits for your heroes, called Big Men, and opportunities to trescue damsels in distress etc, personally I play it pretty straight with none of that and it works just as well) the idea being your 2 or 3 Big Men are like Sharpe and Sgt Harper or someone similar and the troops are like the nameless extras doing there bidding, and dying namelessly while the heroes swan around driving them to feats of glory. Its card/chip activated with a clever system to pull of special abilities that tie in with the era and the force (without being gamey or silly). Therre are Youtube tutorials and blog posts explaining it all in more detail.

I'm talking as if Ive played the game, which I haven't although I have a fair few games of the original system under my belt. That was fun as hell but quite clunky, whereas this version is much more modern in its styling and faster/more streamlined and sophisticated without being complex.

Im now in paroxysms of indecision on scale and era, fairly sure Im doing AWI but scale is what Im deliberating over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwH6-2K9voc

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Apr 23, 2016

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
TFL games have a tendency to be quite innovative; does Sharp Practise bring anything particular to the board in this respect?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

spectralent posted:

TFL games have a tendency to be quite innovative; does Sharp Practise bring anything particular to the board in this respect?
Indeed. I am blown away by Chain of Command (and its associated campaign supplement "At the Sharp End"). The core mechanic is really intriguing and it does a fantastic job of modeling all of the poo poo that inevitably goes wrong under combat conditions.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

ToyotaThong posted:

I really loved Red Thrust by Steven Zaloga. Each chapter revolved around one aspect of the Soviet Army. From what I remember.
Motor Rifle vs. German reservists
T-80s vs. M1s
MiG-29s vs. CF-18s
Motor Rifles vs. Bunderswehr in a chemical attack
Spetznaz taking a crossroads, then getting overrun by Leopard IIs
I've been trying to find this for a little while but no luck, a Kindle copy would be great. :smith:

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

spectralent posted:

Chain of Command was a progression of the original Sharp Practice. This new version is an evolution of the first but using lessons learned from CoC. The deployment system, while not the same as CoCs Patrol Phase is obviously based on a similar idea. The activation system isn't the same as CoCs as its card driven but the Command Card system to activate special abilities or buff actions feels like it shares something of CoCs dice system.

ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011

Flipswitch posted:

I've been trying to find this for a little while but no luck, a Kindle copy would be great. :smith:

I'd let you borrow mine, but I lost my copy over a decade ago.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
Red Thrust would be a pretty solid username

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
This is really flippin' cool

http://1809in3mm.blogspot.com/

edit: I figured some of you might get hard from it having '3mm' in the blog title, lol

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
I got a 3 pack of shermans from Warlord for £30 thinking of doing an armour force for Bolt Action.

I need to make them individual. I know, get some stowage, but the siege shermans in the rulebook look interesting.

I would also guess as many machine guns as possible is a no brainer option.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Possibly going to have to hand in my grognardcard, but can anyone ID where these camo patterns are from and if they ever got used anywhere? They look pretty sweet.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Middle is British for North Africa. Last is a standard Soviet tricolour camo. I've never seen the first, but I'm willing to guess it's from the Italian campaign.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Wasn't the british north african one this?

As for the soviet tricolour, did that get used anywhere notable? All the soviet schemes I've seen have been plain green, plain white, or the green/white with the track-mark patterns over it.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

spectralent posted:

Wasn't the british north african one this?

As for the soviet tricolour, did that get used anywhere notable? All the soviet schemes I've seen have been plain green, plain white, or the green/white with the track-mark patterns over it.

No, there's not _one_ north african british camo, they switched several times. As they did in other theaters, because Brits wants things to be complicated.

Here is one of the better summaries I've found, I used it when I was deciding which camo to use for our Commonwealth tanks for Coc:

http://www.miniatures.de/camouflage-british.html

You can also check on http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ as they have tons of camo schemes for each tank, and usually write where and when the tank camo that is depicted is supposed to be.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I looked over tanks encyclopedia but I couldn't find the same schemes; turns out there's a really clear example of the north africa one on the M3 page. It seems like it was, indeed, North African 8th army. Puts me in a bind; I quite like that scheme, but I also quite like the yellow, brown and blue...

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

spectralent posted:

I looked over tanks encyclopedia but I couldn't find the same schemes; turns out there's a really clear example of the north africa one on the M3 page. It seems like it was, indeed, North African 8th army. Puts me in a bind; I quite like that scheme, but I also quite like the yellow, brown and blue...

What are you painting them for? A lot of games will never see all your tanks on the table at once, so you can mix and match a bit if you want to enjoy painting different schemes. I'll probably end up with three different types of Commonwealth tanks: some of the earlier North Africa schemes for early tanks that never followed over to Sicily/Italy (like the Crusader), a Sicilian scheme for our tanks that are suitable for 1943-early 44, and then a green scheme for tanks that are later than early 44.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

At present? Essentially doodling on some excess tanks. Flames of War is my usual WW2 fix, though.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

What are people's thoughts on the upcoming Tanks game?

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
SAGA PLAYERS: For Crescent & Cross, I figure that the Gripping Beast plastics for Arabs would make a good Moor/Saracen force, but what are some good plastics for Crusaders/Milities Christi? The Fireforge plastic boxes look tempting but I'm not sure if they're appropriate.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

lilljonas posted:

You can also check on http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ as they have tons of camo schemes for each tank, and usually write where and when the tank camo that is depicted is supposed to be.

Don't do this. The guy who writes that site pulls camo schemes and markings out of his rear end.

spectralent posted:

There are a few famous photos of Soviet tanks in that camo (T-34-85 #2-220, T-28, T-34 with L-11 in a swamp), but they're famous specifically because they are rare. This camo scheme was much more commonly used by the artillery branch.

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 24, 2016

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

It seems like if it's on L-11s and -85s it was a whole-war deal where it was used, then? Would it be inappropriate to do a full company like that?

Actually I guess the answer will inevitably be "shrug" if photographs of it were rare.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

spectralent posted:

It seems like if it's on L-11s and -85s it was a whole-war deal where it was used, then? Would it be inappropriate to do a full company like that?

Actually I guess the answer will inevitably be "shrug" if photographs of it were rare.

What I meant is that I've only ever seen one photo of either tank in camo, not that it was only applicable to those tanks. I've never seen a full company done up in camo like that, but you can apply some artistic license.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Yeah, I'm basically considering stripping my T-34 company because my wash job made it look like poo poo, and flat green looks a bit monotonous, whereas the tricolour looks amazing. The one downside would be less room for slogans, I guess. Could always patch them over the brown though.

EDIT: Hmm, artillery branch, too? Would that cover things like towed guns like the long 57mm and the towed 76mm, or just the fuckoff 122mm and 152 howitzers?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Everything, including trucks and limbers.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Ensign Expendable posted:

Everything, including trucks and limbers.

Oh, man, thanks for this. That's a great testbed to see if I can get the scheme down on.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Sorry to double post: Are there any photos of the vehicles thus painted, even ones in black and white? Trying to get a feel for the pattern.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Foul Fowl posted:

SAGA PLAYERS: For Crescent & Cross, I figure that the Gripping Beast plastics for Arabs would make a good Moor/Saracen force, but what are some good plastics for Crusaders/Milities Christi? The Fireforge plastic boxes look tempting but I'm not sure if they're appropriate.

Wargames Factory make plastic boxes of Norman knights and infantry for Crusaders. Alternatively Fireforge make plastic dudes that are suitable for 3rd Crusade knights and infantry for the Templars, Tutonic Knights and regular Crusaders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Flipswitch posted:

What are people's thoughts on the upcoming Tanks game?

I'd have to reserve final judgment for when I'm able to play a full game, but so far my impression is that It's basically both too much and not enough like X-Wing. Interesting concept really hurt by the execution, and I doubt it's going to draw in enough people to make it really worth playing.