Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Help Im Alive posted:

There's a big hat and a logan but the logan is not wearing a big hat

Mind blown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Three times in a row this buggy rear end game won't let phantoms through the boss door! :bang: loving fix it already FROM.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Is there any other tactic besides git gud with those two Crocomires in Irithyll? I can pull just one with the bow and even do a plunge attack on it, but it seems like even with a respectable amount of vigor will get you killed in 2-3 hits at most.

e: And is that area necessary for moving forward? I'd assume not since it was hidden anyways

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Ometeotl posted:

I guess this really did take some inspiration from Bloodborne, because that sure was an Aldrich abomination I just killed.

Thank you, thank you. Please, no applause necessary.

in the original Japanese, "Aldritch" is literally called "Eldritch"

I guess they figured that'd be too on-the-nose for the English-speaking audience

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Nifft posted:

I can't seem to get Greirat to pillage. I said no when he was prompting me and even when I ask him to pillage again he just sits there on his rear end and I just look at my hands longing for a zweihander. I've beaten multiple bosses since asking him to pillage. Any ideas?

I had to nag him constantly between bosses before he finally left. He finally did after the pontiff.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
end game spoiler nameless king is loving hard

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

I somehow decided after beating the Crystal Sage that instead of marching down the convenient path to the Cathedral, I would gently caress off to agonizing poison swamp. I managed to get all the way to the invisible wall that asks for a doll before googling what I'd missed.

I've hosed up most of the NPC quests until NG+, haven't I?

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Azazell0 posted:

Is there any other tactic besides git gud with those two Crocomires in Irithyll? I can pull just one with the bow and even do a plunge attack on it, but it seems like even with a respectable amount of vigor will get you killed in 2-3 hits at most.

e: And is that area necessary for moving forward? I'd assume not since it was hidden anyways

The easy way is to summon a couple of sunbros and let them die heroically chipping down the life of those crocdogs so you can finish them off. If you kill one it's dead forever so you'll have a 1-on-1 situation later, kill the second and you have access to the second-best faction in the game and one of the best rings in the game to boot. It's worth the effort.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

There's absolutely no answer to it beyond "get good", summoning a phantom is useless because that means you're online in the Aldrich Faithful zone and will get swamped in invaders, fighting one by pulling it helps but then you're stuck in a tiny area where the camera wigs out even more than usual, and fighting both in the open area is just plain suicide. It's also a mostly useless side area, you get a ring that's supposed to be the ring of favor for killing both, access to the Aldrich Faithful covenant so you can be on the other side of the endless swarm of invaders and a bonfire which doesn't really save you any time at all considering how tiny that zone is combined with how long the ladder climb is.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Azazell0 posted:

Shield shield and more shield. Pull one, dodge the gnaw attack he opens with, and then strike when the opportunity comes, always shielding up while doing so. He does pathetic stamina damage. When he charges up his equally pathetic lightning attack, run to his rear end and stab away.

Also, fight in the alcove so you don't accidentally get company.

Not necessary, but you get an awesome ring that works like the dragon rings in DS2

ditty bout my clitty fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 23, 2016

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
So I got to the boss in the Boreal Valley. It's fuckin' Fume Knight 2.0 all over again.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Parryable fume knight atleast.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The pontiff is also really weak to circle strafing.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Friendly Humour posted:

How does the Pontiff's Left Eye work exactly? I can't seem to get any healing out of it with a greatsword

AllisonByProxy posted:

You have to get in a lot of attacks in a short time. It's useless with slower weapons. It's pretty useless with fast ones too.

This, but not entirely true. Slower weapons need to land fewer hits than faster weapons, and the slower attacks can produce results more quickly.

So here's the thing -

For PvP it works better with a fast weapon. I'm not saying it works well, but if you're going to get any mileage out of it on a single target you're really only going to have good results with it if you can get a lot of swings in. Bigger weapons won't actually be much worse, but I can mash with a dagger (Mail Breaker) and get the effect to proc pretty well. NOTE: Don't bother with it for PVP unless you're doing some sort of weird Heavy Armor, high VIT dagger build, because the effect probably won't trigger often, so making those +60 ticks count helps.

For PvE it is a different story. Think of it more like a complimentary Ring of the Evil Eye, except it triggers on hits, rather than on kills. In this way it works nicely on Greatswords or other weapons with wide sweeping attack... if only in areas where you can cleave through multiple targets at once.

There's more to say, but it's generally really disappointing. Supposedly it can trigger a full heal when the effect happens in rapid succession, but any situation where that is likely to happen you probably don't even need the health, and I don't even know how to trigger it, or if it supposed to work that way, so whatever potential there is in that isn't something I would look forward to.

In PvE The Evil Eye is probably a better option. Cleaving multiple opponents may make it easier to trigger the Left Eye, but if we're talking about multiple opponents, we're talking about more hits from the evil eye, rather than 1 from the the Left Eye. This is especially true of the +1, nevermind the +2 variant.

In PvP... meh, I'd probably prefer the damage. Health is really low in this game, while estus is readily available - burst damage is a much bigger deal than a few HP ticks that PROBABLY won't even trigger.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Your Computer posted:

Why bother experimenting with dragons when onions are clearly the answer to perfection.

you're overlooking an obvious answer

onion dragons

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Einwand posted:

There's absolutely no answer to it beyond "get good", summoning a phantom is useless because that means you're online in the Aldrich Faithful zone and will get swamped in invaders

Unless you eat a suicidal plunging attack you can just sit halfway up the ladder and punch anyone who comes down in the nuts until they fall to their death while your phantoms do the work. in fact, you should go sit on the ladder and crush sacks anyway

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

gtrmp posted:

in the original Japanese, "Aldritch" is literally called "Eldritch"

I guess they figured that'd be too on-the-nose for the English-speaking audience

Aldrich is a cooler name too.

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!

Eonwe posted:

end game spoiler nameless king is loving hard

Absolutely this. I 100% had to summon, and I'm pretty sure I'd never be able to kill him alone in my lifetime. Humbling moment.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kiggles posted:

This, but not entirely true. Slower weapons need to land fewer hits than faster weapons, and the slower attacks can produce results more quickly.

So here's the thing -

For PvP it works better with a fast weapon. I'm not saying it works well, but if you're going to get any mileage out of it on a single target you're really only going to have good results with it if you can get a lot of swings in. Bigger weapons won't actually be much worse, but I can mash with a dagger (Mail Breaker) and get the effect to proc pretty well. NOTE: Don't bother with it for PVP unless you're doing some sort of weird Heavy Armor, high VIT dagger build, because the effect probably won't trigger often, so making those +60 ticks count helps.

For PvE it is a different story. Think of it more like a complimentary Ring of the Evil Eye, except it triggers on hits, rather than on kills. In this way it works nicely on Greatswords or other weapons with wide sweeping attack... if only in areas where you can cleave through multiple targets at once.

There's more to say, but it's generally really disappointing. Supposedly it can trigger a full heal when the effect happens in rapid succession, but any situation where that is likely to happen you probably don't even need the health, and I don't even know how to trigger it, or if it supposed to work that way, so whatever potential there is in that isn't something I would look forward to.

In PvE The Evil Eye is probably a better option. Cleaving multiple opponents may make it easier to trigger the Left Eye, but if we're talking about multiple opponents, we're talking about more hits from the evil eye, rather than 1 from the the Left Eye. This is especially true of the +1, nevermind the +2 variant.

In PvP... meh, I'd probably prefer the damage. Health is really low in this game, while estus is readily available - burst damage is a much bigger deal than a few HP ticks that PROBABLY won't even trigger.

Thank you.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Oooops! Almost beat the final boss before realizing I had missed a couple side guys. :3:

And an entire area that leads to extra areas. :3:

E: Pontiffs Left Eye is useless. The Right Eye is MUCH better - that bonus damage is great and it can scale up the more hits you get in. I've wrecked bosses smacking em up.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

Nuebot posted:

Do cathedral before farron. Make sure you check up with everyone before you kill a boss and after.

This is what screwed me over. Especially after Mr/Ms Androgyny tells you that Farron Keep lies below, and the Cathedral is farther still (might have even used the words "beyond [Farron Keep]." In any event - that questline died pretty much the moment it began. I don't even know what happened to Sirris. Eygon is nowhere in sight. Leonhard has disappeared. NPC summon signs have all disappeared after Pontiff, except OH HEY, I could summon Swordmaster for Consumed King.

And apparently people getting banned on PC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23t9dErvh70

While I applaud wholeheartedly From's efforts to curb the cheating nonsense from DS2, if this video is correct in its theory I just have to shake my head.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Left Eye Is kinda useful, you just need to basically use all your stamina to get some type of result. I'm still rocking the halberd, and you can stunlock most enemies by doing R1 until you're out. The last hit out of those five always seems to net me a little chunk of health.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 23, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

E: Pontiffs Left Eye is useless. The Right Eye is MUCH better - that bonus damage is great and it can scale up the more hits you get in. I've wrecked bosses smacking em up.

I'm a little surprised the Right Eye is good, actually, but I'm glad. And apparently it stacks with Carthus Beacon, a spell that does the same thing but gives you an initial attack power boost right off the bat.

I wonder if there's any scaling with it to make it also work with heavier, slower weapons, or if the spell and ring are exclusively for fast-weapon situations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Haven't beaten Sulyvahn next, so maybe I still am not able to, but who is the guy ranting and raving in Irithyl and how do I get to him?

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Haven't beaten Sulyvahn next, so maybe I still am not able to, but who is the guy ranting and raving in Irithyl and how do I get to him?

You can get to him. One of the balconies in Irithyll is illusory. You might be able to see stairs behind it, I didn't check.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Anyone got good told on a generally Dex oriented build? Just started as mercenary and want to be a little fighty/dodgy without hosing myself if I find something cool

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Okay, I went to do the Anri quest and was prepared to get married, not stab a sword through his face. Why did he die? What the hell was that all about? I mean, erm, what, who, why? What just happened?

Thanks for the Crocomire tips. I'll have a go again a bit later.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Harrow posted:

I'm a little surprised the Right Eye is good, actually, but I'm glad. And apparently it stacks with Carthus Beacon, a spell that does the same thing but gives you an initial attack power boost right off the bat.

I wonder if there's any scaling with it to make it also work with heavier, slower weapons, or if the spell and ring are exclusively for fast-weapon situations.

That's actually one of the reasons the right eye is worthwhile - having stacking stacking % damage increases is really powerful.

As for getting it to work with slower weapons? Probably what I said about the Left Eye applies, where each hit, not swing, counts toward the bonus. There is some potential for an invader with a greatsword to cleave multiple targets and have the next swing suddenly stacked up something like 6% more damage, and then somewhere around 12% on after the second. Those L2 weapon arts on great curved swords look pretty good for this sort of thing at least.

For Red Eye invaders where the odds of running into multiple targets is pretty reasonable it might not be "bad". A bit unpredictable, and with only a few odd instances where it can see much benefit, BUT that's almost exactly what you're looking for in PvP - unpredictable burst damage that comes out of nowhere and your opponents can't really prepare for.

Not sure I would use it personally, but still way better than Left Eye.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I'm too stubborn to crystal out.

I invaded a guy, ran ahead to a building to camp, figured the spot where you find the sunlight covenant would be great. Only...I can't open the door to let myself out. The host and his two phantoms have run by, completely oblivious to the hole that drops in here or the door so they could see me on the other side.

I'm going to get that drat pale tongue though, even if I have to idle here until they inevitably run out of estus progressing through the level.

Edit: He made it to the boss door. :(

Cyberventurer fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Apr 23, 2016

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Azazell0 posted:

Okay, I went to do the Anri quest and was prepared to get married, not stab a sword through his face. Why did he die? What the hell was that all about? I mean, erm, what, who, why? What just happened?

The "marriage" is you taking his own Dark Sigil and merging it with yours via sword murder.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

My opinions on the pvp in this game swing very widely from absolutely hating it to absolutely loving it.

Here's me absolutely loving it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hclJL8e9KTQ

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Azazell0 posted:

You just don't get romance

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I take it Lloyd's talisman is now super useful? I got blindsided by those guys in the Cathedral, and I notice most players don't see that coming.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

And apparently people getting banned on PC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23t9dErvh70

While I applaud wholeheartedly From's efforts to curb the cheating nonsense from DS2, if this video is correct in its theory I just have to shake my head.

I wish people making these videos and effortposts etc would say "here's what's happening and here's my proof"

edit: alternatively, if they don't have any proof, don't make the video

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I just got the best glitch: I'm seeing how far I can get at lvl 30 with +3 weapons so I can use more exotic stuff in Dogbro invasions. I ran into a wall by the name of Pontiff Sullyvahn. On my nth attempt a dogbro invasion triggered just as I entered Sullyvahn's fog wall; I killed the garden trespasser and respawned in Sullyvahn's arena. For whatever reaason, Sullyvahn just stood there while I poked him to death with my +3 estoc. Didn't move, didn't attack, didn't do anything except stumble when I landed enough hits to stun.

Sometimes poo poo does roll uphill.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Azazell0 posted:

Marriage as in:
mar·riage
ˈmerij/
noun
a combination or mixture of two or more elements.
"a marriage of jazz, pop, blues, and gospel"

They're those three dark sigils in your inventory.

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!

argondamn posted:

My opinions on the pvp in this game swing very widely from absolutely hating it to absolutely loving it.

Good plays, friend! A shame the host of embers disconnected.

My favorite moment was when I got called in as a Blue Sentinel and found the host of embers waiting next to an elevator on its way up. As the elevator neared the top, I charged my heavy attack and waited for it to arrive. The second it did, I unleashed a double heavy attack, knocking the invader to 5% health. He freaked the gently caress out and rolled everywhere, accidentally tripping the elevator switch. He and I went down it together (without the host of embers), so he was trapped in a tiny, metal box with just me. :black101:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

argondamn posted:

For disconnecting with active players of any kind in the game that host has earned an in-game punishment, 30 of those and it' s a temporary ban from everything online on that character, earn the ban again by 30 closures of the game and that's a permanently offlined character.

It should be more like 10 rather than 30 because gently caress all of those people.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I hate that attacks never stun enemies, even if they're from the greatest of greathammers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

MrLonghair posted:

For disconnecting with active players of any kind in the game that host has earned an in-game punishment, 30 of those and it' s a temporary ban from everything online on that character, earn the ban again by 30 closures of the game and that's a permanently offlined character.

It should be more like 10 rather than 30 because gently caress all of those people.

Offlined character? or Offline account?