Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brewsuke
Jan 8, 2014
I'm stripping down some Cadians because I don't like the colors compared to the way I've painted the second batch I got. Is a 1:1 ratio of cleaner to water a safe mixture to dunk them in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Brewsuke posted:

I'm stripping down some Cadians because I don't like the colors compared to the way I've painted the second batch I got. Is a 1:1 ratio of cleaner to water a safe mixture to dunk them in?

http://www.biostrip.co.uk/paint-stripping/biostrip-20-paint-stripper-5-litres.html

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Brewsuke posted:

Why wouldn't you just go full strength?

Brewsuke
Jan 8, 2014

berzerkmonkey posted:

Why wouldn't you just go full strength?

Because I am an overcautious baby.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Brewsuke posted:

Because I am an overcautious baby.

You're not going to hurt anything. Go full strength and revel in your macho.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Brewsuke posted:

Straight denatured alcohol.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Worth noting that some strippers, Dettol in particular, go really loving weird when you dilute them.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

BULBASAUR posted:

What do you folks recommend for a sandable gap filler? Liquid greenstuff is doing too little and greenstuff doesn't sand very well.

Mix superglue with talcum powder. Excellent all-purpose gap filler. Sets in less than an hour.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

berzerkmonkey posted:

You're not going to hurt anything. Go full strength and revel in your macho.

Miniatures Painting - Go full strength and revel in your macho

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Crossposting from the 40k thread.

When not dancing to the heaviest of beats, Technoviking fights to purge the universe of Xenos and Heretics.
The first of at least three more officers that I'm working on.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I'm about to start painting my Judicator. I'll be using black as the primary color, with gold trim, and red as the secondary color.

The problem is that I'm rubbish at painting black, especially black with a lot of flat panels - And this thing is almost nothing but flat panels. Does anyone have any tips for how I can avoid making the black look flat?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

berzerkmonkey posted:

I came home from work to find this:

Why, it's the can of Quick Shade I ordered! Hooray! :suicide:

The guy sent a can of stain in an envelope. What the gently caress.

The best part is that it was almost dry by the time I got home!

Hey, turns out I am part of the same SG listserve as you. :toot:

At least your porch is now finely shaded?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Sigh

Never use a spray can without making absolutely sure you picked the right one I guess

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Geisladisk posted:

I'm about to start painting my Judicator. I'll be using black as the primary color, with gold trim, and red as the secondary color.

The problem is that I'm rubbish at painting black, especially black with a lot of flat panels - And this thing is almost nothing but flat panels. Does anyone have any tips for how I can avoid making the black look flat?

Ive tried black with grey highlights and greys with black washes and specific area darkened glazes and I liked the second better.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Ashcans posted:

Hey, turns out I am part of the same SG listserve as you. :toot:

At least your porch is now finely shaded?

Well, that one particular stream is... I bought a can of mineral spirits yesterday, so hopefully that will de-shade the area.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

PierreTheMime posted:

Okay, what is your plan for a paint scheme and do you have any metallics, washes, or weathering effects to use? In all but that last photo it looks like the entire was painted with 2-3 colors, tops. You need to make the details pop using highlighting and different colors for different components. The venting mesh, for instance, could pretty easily be made a metallic silver and maybe dirty it for an exhaust effect.

A solid wash and then re-highlight would do this some good. Get the edges lined with a slightly brighter green, as well as differentiating various parts with other colors. Items like the spotlight should be gone over with a solid color and the edges highlighted.

It depends on how much work you want to do, but there's honestly a lot of room for additions/improvements. The overall paint thickness/color looks good, you just need to work on details to keep it from looking too "samey."

So I have a bit of an update. I redid the entire basecoat, added in some details painted like the vents and painted dirty tracks, and I chose a different wash entirely instead of the original and I am waiting for it to dry. After the wash dries I am gonna highlight it and paint a few more details. My new question is about the highlighting itself. I was thinking of using a dusty color to drybrush on my edge highlights to add some weathering. Should I do that? Or should I make a green/dust mix and drybrush that on the flat surfaces to make a sun fading effect? Or should I just make a lighter green and just paint on the edges for the highlights?

Overall how does it look now?

Ok yea I'm completely at a loss with the highlighting. I can't get it neat or looking correctly if I try to drybrush the edges. Anybody have any guides or tips on how to make edges look weathered or just line highlighting in general for this type of thing?

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 25, 2016

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Ive tried black with grey highlights and greys with black washes and specific area darkened glazes and I liked the second better.

How does black with grey zenithal and black washes sound? I'm thinking of painting some miniatures in black and gold.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Witch from Frostgrave I painted for an RPG character I'm playing.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Painted this beastmen herd army up for KoW over 2 weeks recently. Picked up 2 Beastmen battalion boxes for half price and filled out a few more units with random kits lying around.

(Spirit walkers)

(Tribal long horns)

(Tribal hunters and tribal spears)

(Shaman, totem bearer and chieftain)

(chieften on chariot)

(Stampede)

(Gargoyles and beast pack)

(Brutox)

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
I need some advice on this guy:

Click for yuuge

I'm satisifed with the metal as is, other than needing some highlighting on the edges on all the armor panels, but i'm more concerned about the red. I hadn't learned some very important facts regarding layering and shading when i started this, So it's been sitting for around 7 months now in this state.

Would a drybrush of red to catch all the surface detail be "enough" to brighten up the top carapace armor, or should i slog through and do actual highlighting on everything? I'm kinda liking the grungy unkempt look it's rocking now, so i'm leaning towards the drybrush and then just paint up all the detail bits after that.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Dunk it in denatured alcohol.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
I am not a good painter but have reasonable experience of red with multiple blood Angels dreadnoughts (which are a bright red). II think you could certainly do a drybrush and potentially draw it together with a glaze to unite the different tones. The GW red glaze is great but possible a bit brighter than you might want . I would then highlight with orange but maybe you might want to use more of a light ruddy brown or pinky orange to edge highlight the most light struck areas - this might be better before the glaze actually.

E: I am posting from my iPhone and have mighty hammy fists.

Also you could try using a sponge for a bit more of a irregular, almost textured look. If you use it as you would a drybrush it gives a bit less of a brushed appearance on big surfaces.

JackMack fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Apr 25, 2016

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Big Willy Style posted:

Painted this beastmen herd army up for KoW over 2 weeks recently. Picked up 2 Beastmen battalion boxes for half price and filled out a few more units with random kits lying around.

It says you took down all the images.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Big Willy Style posted:

Your links are broken.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Okay goons! I'm about to airbrush. I'm going to make some World Eaters legion test miniatures. I've got new equipment:

- A badger renegade krome.
- Some airbrush cleaner
- An airbrush cleaner pot.
- A compressor.

What should I know before I dive into this great endeavor? Can I airbrush inside next to an open window? How do I prevent painting my house and causing my wife to aggro on me?

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Hey, I'm looking for some priming alternatives, and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for brush on primers or other methods?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

DeadGame posted:

Okay goons! I'm about to airbrush. I'm going to make some World Eaters legion test miniatures. I've got new equipment:

- Some airbrush cleaner
- A compressor.

What should I know before I dive into this great endeavor? Can I airbrush inside next to an open window? How do I prevent painting my house and causing my wife to aggro on me?

You can do it inside near an open window, but I like to wear a mask. It's not critical when you do little tiny work, but for base coating I would wear one. I put up an old towel and then put paper towels ontop to absorb most of the spray.

Other than that make sure to thin your paints more than usual unless they are pre-thinned. You'll want to experiment with different consistencies and PSI to see how everything behaves together. When you're done shoot some cleaner through your brush, take the needle out and wipe it off, put it back in, shoot some more cleaner, and then it's good for storage.

Oh and have fun!

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Frobbe posted:

I need some advice on this guy:

Click for yuuge

I'm satisifed with the metal as is, other than needing some highlighting on the edges on all the armor panels, but i'm more concerned about the red. I hadn't learned some very important facts regarding layering and shading when i started this, So it's been sitting for around 7 months now in this state.

Would a drybrush of red to catch all the surface detail be "enough" to brighten up the top carapace armor, or should i slog through and do actual highlighting on everything? I'm kinda liking the grungy unkempt look it's rocking now, so i'm leaning towards the drybrush and then just paint up all the detail bits after that.

How about adding rust effects? You know, a couple of rust trails left behind by dripping water.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Imperial Fists Sicaran Venator incoming:

Got to try out lots of new stuff with this one. First time doing any real airbrush stuff beyond basecoating, and first time using weathering powders

It was good fun :)

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Tanks Tanks Tanks

I got a bunch of stuff painted for April - The Independent Characters Hobby Challenge is pretty addictive

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Skarsnik posted:

Got to try out lots of new stuff with this one. First time doing any real airbrush stuff beyond basecoating, and first time using weathering powders

It was good fun :)
drat, you do nice yellows.

Yeast posted:

Tanks Tanks Tanks

How much of the army do you have painted up? Your photos really make me want to start my Steel Legion again. I have too many drat projects going on...

DeadGame posted:

- Some airbrush cleaner
- A compressor.

I'm going to highly recommend buying a paint booth. They're like $90 on Ebay or Amazon, and your wife will thank you for keeping the overspray contained. The window will help, since you can just run the exhaust hose out.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

DeadGame posted:

- Some airbrush cleaner
- A compressor.

Check the OP for a ton of airbrushing info

Yeast posted:

Tanks Tanks Tanks

As I posted in the 40K thread, you should join up with the Oath Thread as well, there's a brand new one starting in about a week!

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Hey guys, I have an idea in my head for how I want to paint my Eldar Corsair army, but I am not sure if the effect I want would be possible.

I am thinking of basing them with the Secret Weapons field of screams bases and doing an autumn/harvest theme with them, but I want to try and make the models look like they are fighting under a moonlit night.

Is there any way to paint a miniature in a way to make it look like it is night, rather than day, or would this end up not looking right?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Just use cold tones of the colors you want them to be based on? Shade with lots of blues and use hard edges for zenithal priming/preshading, that's the direction I'm thinking.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Skarsnik posted:

Sicaran goodness

Goddamn you did a good job on this tank. I wish I could 1. Paint a yellow that nice, and 2. Have the balls to weather it like you did.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Hey, I'm looking for some priming alternatives, and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for brush on primers or other methods?

This one.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

berzerkmonkey posted:

How much of the army do you have painted up? Your photos really make me want to start my Steel Legion again. I have too many drat projects going on...

At this stage it's what's in that photo, and this one:

Kicked off in late January, hoping to have the entire army done by November.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

SRM posted:

Goddamn you did a good job on this tank. I wish I could 1. Paint a yellow that nice, and 2. Have the balls to weather it like you did.

Thank you :)

As far as the yellow goes it was mostly airbrush so not too hard to put down. Its Yriel over a white undercoat, then blended up to Phalanx yellow on the top. As I was planning on weathering it it's only had the most basic of edge highlighting done on it, all just side of brush stuff. Shading was with with thinned Seraphim Sepia

I always feel I'm going a tad overboard with the weathering but usually just plow on regardless. Lots of the weathering is covering up airbrushing fuckups, I never seem to mask stuff well enough. Those wiggly lines on one side near the front was me resting it on a piece of kitchen paper that apparently had some paint on it :doh:

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Dungeon Saga Zombie trolls rebased and painted up on 40mm bases for KoW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

richyp posted:

Dungeon Saga Zombie trolls rebased and painted up on 40mm bases for KoW.

Nice. I think you could serve to either smooth the bottom of their feet down so that they're flush with the ground, or put something under their feet to hide the fact that they're not flush. Looks a bit off otherwise.