Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Pre-saint Coiling Dragon was the good part, anyway.

Please tell me Meng Hao's story never goes stupid like Coiling Dragon, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

it's okay though because lord fifth is way more interesting than anything in coiling dragon all by himself

organism
Sep 30, 2005
organism

Algid posted:

The Lord of Hats posted:

Interesting to think that Meng Hao has almost reached the same level of Patriarch Reliance (or at least, the human clone of Patriarch Reliance). Spirit Severing seemed so incredibly far away before, and now he's knocking on its doorstep. It's just Dao Seeking, which we've heard basically nothing about, and Immortal Ascension left, right?
Remember how he was thinking about how the sect was named 'Immortal Demons Sect', and if that meant everyone was an immortal? Of course the power levels don't end there.

You have to remember that xianxia authors are legally obligated to only ever use four adjectives: immortal, heavenly, godly, and jade. The literal meanings can get kind of muddled.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

started ISSTH on a whim, it definitely does feel different from Overpowered Bullshit rear end in a top hat Man #245. I think the author actually knows where that line between "charmingly ridiculous" and "boring" is, which is like the biggest rarity ever in these stories.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

organism posted:

You have to remember that xianxia authors are legally obligated to only ever use four adjectives: immortal, heavenly, godly, and jade. The literal meanings can get kind of muddled.

Replace jade with [Type of Gem] and I think you're right.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Algid posted:

The power levels in ISSTH is just as ridiculous as in Coiling Dragon, even up to 'Ascension' which is literally becoming a God and making your own universe.

To put things in proper perspective, Meng Hao basically isn't even a saint yet at this point.

edit: Just realized you guys probably got to the point where he spent half a chapter powering up and growing a hair boner via flexing. Thankfully that only happened the once.

No more flexing? No, no! I want more flexing.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

There's plenty more flexing and castings of fist (as well as fist II, fist III, fist IV, and fistaga), it just happens in a more reasonable time frame.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

So, ISSTH in a nutshell:

Double Super Amazing Invincible Heavenly Godman: INSIGNIFICANT ANT, YOU ARE NOTHING TO ME I SHALL- where'd all my poo poo go
Meng Hao: :zoid: woopwoopwoopwoopwoopwoop

it's kind of rad

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Meng Hao has turned into Trevor from GTAV

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Meng Hao has absolutely no idea about how to deal with his fiance.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I love how, as Meng Hao is playing playground bully, he's calling the people he's bullying immoral.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I like that Meng Hao has been picking up habits from the meat jelly and parrot.

He very quickly moved from Nascent Soul to Spirit Severing (although this is only his physical body not his cultivation and he could kill nascent soul cultivators long before he finished his 7 totem nascent souls) so I'm curious how long it will take him to perform all his severings and achieve his perfect spirit severing.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I'm curious as to just what he will sever. Not karma, certainly. He is big on karma lately.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Sever losing, obviously.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Oh, right. He will sever shame. Just completely ditch his sense of shame.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

sever conning

then sever that severing, achieving ultimate enlightenment in the dao of conning

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Serious Frolicking posted:

Oh, right. He will sever shame. Just completely ditch his sense of shame.

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

sever conning

then sever that severing, achieving ultimate enlightenment in the dao of conning

I will not be surprised if something along this line occurs. I hope it does. Meng Hoa has been steadily picking up traits from the Meat Jelly and Parrot. Maybe this will lead to him reaching enlightenment of shamelessness.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Patriarch Reliance Jr cultivated the Dao of Greed for centuries (and Meng Hao managed to burn through the entirety of his savings in a couple of years) so it's entirely possible for Meng Hao to achieve spiritual enlightenment by swindling people.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

hahaha jesus the latest chapter is even more shameless than the last :allears:

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
He had the paperwork written up beforehand!

That Bag of the Cosmos is probably the most valuable and dangerous artifact in his possession.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
poo poo, now he will have to go to a different planet because he has already conned everyone worth conning on this one.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

poo poo, now he will have to go to a different planet because he has already conned everyone worth conning on this one.

I Shall Con The Heavens

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

I'm at the Crow Divinity Holy Land Fishing Jamboree. There seemed to be a lull in Shenanigans after the Golden Light stuff but oh my god is Meng Hao ever making up for lost time.

EDIT: "As for why it hadn’t manifested its true majesty, perhaps it was because he hadn’t acquired enough of them yet." hahahaha amazing

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 26, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I like the shenanigans way more than the fighting.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Yeah, the fighting is always just things like "Long Wang sprayed blood from his mouth as he released an astonishing aura that shook the Heavens and Earth and boomed with an archaic voice that produced an array of shocking magical items with a flick of his sleeve, but Meng Hao swept through them with a single crushing blow from the enormous power of his Cultivation base! All this took many words to describe, but happened in the space of one breath!" and to be honest my eyes start to glaze over. It's to the point where I straight-up don't care about the combat unless Meng Hao is losing, because I read that exact fight already and only the consequences are different.

And then his incredible luck and cunning kick in and it's glorious again.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
People apparently say a whole lot of poetry during fights, but it doesn't translate at all.

filthychimp
Jan 2, 2006
Damned dirty ape
Do other chinese webnovels use a lot of exclamation marks? I've been reading Warlock of the Magus World, which I can't really recommend. But it has entire chapters where the MC is just shouting to himself excitedly but also softly enough so no one else hears. The prose is also very excited. Is this a thing, or just this author's quirk?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

blastron posted:

Yeah, the fighting is always just things like "Long Wang sprayed blood from his mouth as he released an astonishing aura that shook the Heavens and Earth and boomed with an archaic voice that produced an array of shocking magical items with a flick of his sleeve, but Meng Hao swept through them with a single crushing blow from the enormous power of his Cultivation base! All this took many words to describe, but happened in the space of one breath!" and to be honest my eyes start to glaze over. It's to the point where I straight-up don't care about the combat unless Meng Hao is losing, because I read that exact fight already and only the consequences are different.

And then his incredible luck and cunning kick in and it's glorious again.

Yeah I'm experiencing that. After like fightsfightsfightsfightsfights my eyes start to glaze over, but then Meng Hao receives the sacred power of booze and starts stealing floor tiles and it's incredible again.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

filthychimp posted:

Do other chinese webnovels use a lot of exclamation marks? I've been reading Warlock of the Magus World, which I can't really recommend. But it has entire chapters where the MC is just shouting to himself excitedly but also softly enough so no one else hears. The prose is also very excited. Is this a thing, or just this author's quirk?

Pretty sure this is an author quirk. Warlock is just another rear end in a top hat reborn story right? I'd actually advise against starting reading Chinese webnovels with that one. Start with something I Eat Tomatoes written, it's very formulaic and vanilla as far as Xianxia genre goes. It's also indicative how most of these novels end: poorly and rather suddenly, with no proper climax and denouement. It's also the reason why I like My Disciple Died Yet Again so much, it is incredibly well written for a webnovel.

Also, translations from Chinese to English never works out perfectly, but for the most part I just skim over the fights as well. If there's one thing that I Eat Tomatoes does well, it's choreographing the fights in text. I actually read that stuff in his works, since he actually manages to make it interesting.

jwang fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Apr 26, 2016

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
The whole western desert arc was pretty meh because it largely lacked in shenanigans and relatively little Lord Fifth and ultimate vexation. Too much factional combat about people I didn't give a drat about, and then he spent 10 chapters sitting at the bottom of the ocean. Generally disappointing after the blacklands section being pretty fun most of the time. The bridge segment was pretty great though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I liked the ocean stuff. He got in over his head and almost never came back.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
I don't know, I have issues with the incredible luck and the arrogance, it can get grating when it goes too much against Meng Hao's self-estimations.

OTOH, it is 100% correct that a lot of the humour comes from the arrogance and the luck, and everything that makes ISSTH decent is the humour.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
There are just so many wuxia wn's which feature the exact same protagonist. Disciple really pegged that character and what is wrong with him.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Which "protagonist" are we talking about in Disciple, the first one? I'm not sure if you read ahead in the Chinese version like I did, because there actually was some reasonable protagonist characters down the line. Hell, even the pet beast got his own protagonist arc.

But yeah, the first protagonist is the epitome of Wuxia/Xianxia murderhobo hypocrites. Hell, most of the protagonists of that archetype would give reason to just cut out the xia part of the genre. It's no longer about heroes, just murderhobo protagonists.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

There are just so many wuxia wn's which feature the exact same protagonist. Disciple really pegged that character and what is wrong with him.

Basically all the 'bugs' are a different kind of Xanxia MC in disciples, and it's great. I'm hoping we get a 'trolling bug' soon.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

Arkeus posted:

Basically all the 'bugs' are a different kind of Xanxia MC in disciples, and it's great. I'm hoping we get a 'trolling bug' soon.

No, Yuyao, you ARE the troll bug. (All trolling is directed at her by cosmic forces)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

All this talk about these Xianxia novels sounds hilariously ridiculous to someone who isn't familiar with them.

Also, does "Patriarch Reliance" sound any less ridiculous in Chinese? What does that even mean? "Person who relies on the patriarch"?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Nah, he is a patriarch named reliance, who has a sect which is also named reliance. Also he is a foul-mouthed greedy turtle the size of a continent.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

It's literally patriarch/ancestor 'leaning mountain' with lean being a synonym for rely/depend in this case.

It just so happens the translator actually translated this name rather than leaving it as kao shan, probably because he named the reliance sect after himself and it was actually part of the sect philosophy? Chinese names are just usually one or two characters that actually have meanings attached to them because they're just words rather than taking names from historical/religious characters where the meaning is completely divorced from the word by now. It would be like someone called Gabriel literally being named "god is my strength".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
I mean, if you want to be super poetic about it, you can rename it as Patriarch Gibraltar, since there's the whole "Rock of Gibraltar" phrase that's synonymous with the idea of kao shan. That's silly though and you should just keep calling him Reliance.

• Locked thread