Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

TheKingofSprings posted:

You're not likely to draw 2 Duress early and you brought in Transgress expecting it to be a big player against a deck where the defining feature was being CMC 3 or less?

I mean, the best cards in Bant Company are all 3+. You snag a Company, avacyn, Reflector Mage, and it was worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
A grindy GB deck with a win-con of inevitability if you survive the first four turns is my kind of deck. I'm sad to abandon WB Control, but I can't resist a deck with that much card advantage.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Xaerael posted:

Yep. He was screwed and flooded against LSV. The deck is INSANE.
I suspect Jon Finkel's incredible skill as a pilot is also a factor, you get a lot of lines once you're firing off Dark Petitions left and right.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
LSV wins another game out of nowhere. LSV at 3, opponent at 18. LSV rips Collected Company for his second Zulaport Cutthroat and a Catacomb Sifter, sacs 5 to Westvale Abbey to drain 10, transform Abbey and swing for lethal.

I love this deck

I love LSV

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

This GB aristocrats deck is fuckin ridiculous

edit: Shota with the casual Guru Swamps in his standard deck

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 23, 2016

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
The fact that there were no intentional draws in the last round of this PT is really cool.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I suspect Jon Finkel's incredible skill as a pilot is also a factor, you get a lot of lines once you're firing off Dark Petitions left and right.

Yeah, the rest of the team are doing pretty average

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Devor posted:

LSV wins another game out of nowhere. LSV at 3, opponent at 18. LSV rips Collected Company for his second Zulaport Cutthroat and a Catacomb Sifter, sacs 5 to Westvale Abbey to drain 10, transform Abbey and swing for lethal.

I love this deck

I love LSV

He had a Dragon Hunter to block, I don't know if he forgot it had reach or he was just scooping because LSV was going back up to 20

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

Barry Shitpeas posted:

He had a Dragon Hunter to block, I don't know if he forgot it had reach or he was just scooping because LSV was going back up to 20

Also it's possible that Luis had enough other things to sacrifice to kill anyway. I couldn't count in time.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Ormendahl is not a dragon

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I'll be honest, I'm ultra biased when it comes to Finkel, I've been a fan since the 90s, and I pretty much give him credit for moulding the way I play.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Hail Nantuko Husk. Hail Satan.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
LSV WINS! LSV WINS! LSV WINS!

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Xaerael posted:

I'll be honest, I'm ultra biased when it comes to Finkel, I've been a fan since the 90s, and I pretty much give him credit for moulding the way I play.

as a big jon finkel fan, i stopped growing hair on part of my head and scowl all the time like i ate something really gross

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

All these weird grindy combo-ish decks may be leading to a pretty skill-testing format. The top 8 is looking insanely stacked.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Shota :tviv:

Edit: Why is David-Marshall doing these sideline reporter gigs instead of Gaby?

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 23, 2016

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
I love Aristocrats and I love me some LSV, but even I have to question what they were thinking with the interaction between Cryptolith Rite and Collected Company. Nice ramp deck, IDIOT, i'm gonna play 10 mana worth of things on turn 4 on the play and kill you.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Good lord, that Shota match was ridiculous.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

This is going to be the most absurd T8 in a long time. 3+ Hall of Famers, if Seth gets in previous Player of the Year, Brad was player of the year.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Some Numbers posted:

Good lord, that Shota match was ridiculous.

He's always great to watch

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Alaan posted:

This is going to be the most absurd T8 in a long time. 3+ Hall of Famers, if Seth gets in previous Player of the Year, Brad was player of the year.

Yeah this Top 8 is goddamn insane. Good indicator of a skill-intensive format.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Finkel, Nelson, LSV, Steve Ruben, Shouta Yasooka, Seth Mansfield so far

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Okay, so I live in PST. How early does the Top 8 start tomorrow?

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

Seth Manfield is really impressive. His last top 8 was Modern and now Standard with the intervening World Championship.

Some Numbers posted:

Okay, so I live in PST. How early does the Top 8 start tomorrow?

They've been starting at midnight for us. Not sure about tomorrow.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Alaan posted:

Finkel, Nelson, LSV, Steve Ruben, Shouta Yasooka, Seth Mansfield so far

Any of them on Company?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
This might be the worst camerawork I've ever seen for a nominally professional event

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

This is kind of fun and kind of bad. I'm glad they are trying to get video for these matches, but its hard to follow.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The decks represented in the T8 so far include Esper Dragons, GB Control, GB Cryptolith Rites/Aristocrats, GR Goggles and Esper Control. The aristocrats deck involves CoCo but the bant deck has been thumped pretty hard over the weekend.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
This is hilarious

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Am I crazy or was the Tragic Arrogance awful for Mengucci?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Any of them on Company?

Lsv has collected company in his deck if that counts

Shouta is on Esper Dragons because he's Shouta and can win with decks that no one else can

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

qbert posted:

Am I crazy or was the Tragic Arrogance awful for Mengucci?

It certainly looked like a hilarious way to kill a single Krasis.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I mentioned LSV's Blister pods as there was a running bit on Limited Resources because he advised against BFZ GB sacrifice and picking Blisterpod before doing that himself within days.

Is the list somewhere? I've been building BW midrange but I might give it a go, I love Aristocrats.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The intermittent whispering and hushed laughs are lovely

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I like that the GB sacrifice theme that didn't work in draft at all has made it into constructed

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

I think both players are on the same team so I could see one of them conceding to the other for a chance at T8.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

qbert posted:

I think both players are on the same team so I could see one of them conceding to the other for a chance at T8.

I think they're trying to negotiate who concedes

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

Rinkles posted:

The intermittent whispering and hushed laughs are lovely

The fast blinking of the camera is better!

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Draw you bastards, this is what Company deserves.

Edit: what a whiny baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Bleh

• Locked thread