Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Chokes McGee posted:

Uh.

I mean I hope I'm reading this wrong but i can't imagine someone would sign off on the idea of "kid pushes phone button, stranger shows up to offer ride"

All of the drivers are women with "caregiver" backgrounds. Also, despite the failure of Shuddle, there are at least two other startups with the same business model, one is called HopSkipDrive.

v Boost, I believe.

moller fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Doesn't Mercedes run one?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Chokes McGee posted:

Uh.

I mean I hope I'm reading this wrong but i can't imagine someone would sign off on the idea of "kid pushes phone button, stranger shows up to offer ride"
It was for parents who needed kids picked up after school and delivered to soccer, that sort of thing. The kids weren't booking the rides. I would hope they offered good screening, but who knows.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Probably screened as well as most babysitters/nannies.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

All those startups are one just pedo away from the shitstorm to end all shitstorms, imo.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Baby Babbeh posted:

All those startups are one just pedo away from the shitstorm to end all shitstorms, imo.

We will just have to catch them with the Predatr app.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Baby Babbeh posted:

Why haven't home-based daycare or children's sports leagues suffered that fate?

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

They probably have, but the addition of technology makes the story scarier so the media didn't cover it the way they will when "an app for strangers to pick up your kids in their car" results in molestation.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Subjunctive posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McMartin_preschool_trial

Note also that the former Speaker of the House, Dennis Hastert, just pled guilty to molesting children on the wrestling team he coached. More and more, these crimes are being publicly reported and prosecuted. Many, sadly not all, youth organizations now do a background check on anybody working with children; same for daycare.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Arsenic Lupin posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McMartin_preschool_trial

Note also that the former Speaker of the House, Dennis Hastert, just pled guilty to molesting children on the wrestling team he coached. More and more, these crimes are being publicly reported and prosecuted. Many, sadly not all, youth organizations now do a background check on anybody working with children; same for daycare.

Sure, except McMartin a) was bullshit, and b) was not home-based, and c) didn't cause condemnation of the whole industry. Similarly, I don't think we'll see the end of wrestling teams, or a shitstorm directed at other wrestling programs. (Which is why I mentioned children's sports.)

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

Those things have been around forever. When the internet came around a poo poo load of people just automatically assumed it was full to bursting with predators and pedophiles just waiting to steal your kid. The way people talked about it you'd think that was the sole purpose of the internet. It was a new thing these people didn't understand so they assumed the worst.

Granted daycare and children's sports leagues are also generally part of the community and run by people you know. You have no idea how far that can get people. "I don't believe Charlie McCoachersonne can possibly be a molester. Why he's been an upstanding member of the community as long as he's been alive. Been coaching for 30 years, he has, and nobody comes forward until now? Come on. My dad grew up with his dad, in fact. Coaches all the way back! They traced their ancestry to a 15th century coach. Why it's in their blood!"

Which is of course another difference; a story on the internet about somebody you've never met is easier to believe than it turning out that somebody you personally know and have known for a long time did something bad. This is especially true if that person has been repeatedly doing that bad thing for decades.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Sure, except McMartin a) was bullshit, and b) was not home-based, and c) didn't cause condemnation of the whole industry. Similarly, I don't think we'll see the end of wrestling teams, or a shitstorm directed at other wrestling programs. (Which is why I mentioned children's sports.)
I was talking about whether there'd been shitstorms, not whether there'd been justified shitstorms. Any business that's dealing with children, paid or otherwise (the business, not the children) is trying to deal with these problems. You have to take liability insurance, and to do that, you have to convince the paranoid insurance company that you won't wind up costing them money.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I was talking about whether there'd been shitstorms, not whether there'd been justified shitstorms. Any business that's dealing with children, paid or otherwise (the business, not the children) is trying to deal with these problems. You have to take liability insurance, and to do that, you have to convince the paranoid insurance company that you won't wind up costing them money.

I sure know that if my plan is to abduct children, the best way to go about it is to do it via a service that requires me to submit my name, my place of residence, all details on my vehicle, a background check, and a documented itinerary of every single moment of contact I have with children.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Subjunctive posted:

Their fate has been increased screening/regulation, which is a good and fine thing that isn't actually a death knell for something that isn't Disruptive.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

A big flaming stink posted:

I sure know that if my plan is to abduct children, the best way to go about it is to do it via a service that requires me to submit my name, my place of residence, all details on my vehicle, a background check, and a documented itinerary of every single moment of contact I have with children.

Worked for Second Mile, until it didn't: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Second_Mile

It's way easier to just have a huge churn of kids coming and going than stealing anyone.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Your kid is safer with a stranger than an acquaintance.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

cowofwar posted:

Your kid is safer with a stranger than an acquaintance.

Per unit time?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Subjunctive posted:

Per unit time?
Impulsive abduction is rare. Normally the abductor acts after repeated proximity to the victim. It's frequently an immediate family member or neighbor or acquaintance. Effectively all people will act benevolently towards a child, it's inborn.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

cowofwar posted:

Effectively all people will act benevolently towards a child, it's inborn.

Childfree don't, though they'd rather distance themselves from children entirely.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Unguided posted:

Childfree don't, though they'd rather distance themselves from children entirely.
What? Even childless people will act generally benevolently toward children.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

cheese posted:

Childfree are people who define themselves as being too intelligent to have children. Not people who are merely childless. Their rants are some of the most embarrassing saddest things I've ever read.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

cheese posted:

Pretty sure he means this kind of person: https://www.reddit.com/r/childfree

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

cheese posted:

Toward children, yes, but not toward crotchspawn.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
:wth: Well I'll be damned, learn something new every day. Still, I have to think even people who actively don't want children and look down on those who have them are unlikely to mistreat them.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Cicero posted:

Pretty sure he means this kind of person: https://www.reddit.com/r/childfree

For all cases of where kind behavior is assumed or considered instinctual in humans, you can make an exception from Reddit.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

What is it about Reddit that takes any remotely conceivable concept that people could be interested in and turns it into a circle jerk over who can be the most awful human?

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Baby Babbeh posted:

What is it about Reddit that takes any remotely conceivable concept that people could be interested in and turns it into a circle jerk over who can be the most awful human?

I was curious, the answer lies in two graphs from a reddit user demographic survey (http://www.dailydot.com/society/reddit-survey-demographics/) :

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Baby Babbeh posted:

Because Reddit is the internet home for 20-40 year old white men? It also has a UI that only a techbro could love.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
The reddit stuff is upvotes (and downvotes to a lesser extent.) When you're already part of a small group (childfree, bronies, Bernouts for Trump etc.) and saying shocking stuff gets you upvotes and saying boring stuff doesn't, shocking becomes the new normal. Then you start getting downvotes for being boring and to get upvotes you've got to be even more shocking. Vicious cycle. It's why Disqus got rid of downvotes.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

To be fair though this batshit crazy pre existed Reddit. Google "childefreehc" for the hardcore group that kicked out a member who accidentally got pregnant and didn't immediately get an abortion. Honestly that being like ten years ago now a documentary on her life would be fascinating in a train wreck way.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I think we can all agree that people who are physically capable of but choose not to have children should be crucified in a literal sense.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

Radbot posted:

I think we can all agree that people who are physically capable of but choose not to have children should be crucified in a literal sense.

agreed. do your duty, citizen.

In other news, Uber settled two of the big class action suits against it for a total of 84 million. They were also fined a few mil for operating in PA without appropriate licenses. I think these lawsuits only apply to CA and MA, so I imagine other states may jump in on the fun.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Hughlander posted:

To be fair though this batshit crazy pre existed Reddit. Google "childefreehc" for the hardcore group that kicked out a member who accidentally got pregnant and didn't immediately get an abortion. Honestly that being like ten years ago now a documentary on her life would be fascinating in a train wreck way.

I just googled that and got zero results.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

a foolish pianist posted:

Startup snark aside, autonomous vehicles are going to be huge in the next decade. That sounds like a decent investment in a sort of first-pass robocar company.

From a while back, just catching up. But I wanted to point out how funny it was to have the Nest smoke-detector failure video on one page, and then on the next page someone says with all seriousness that robot cars will be huge in the coming years.

We can't even program software to know when a house is on fire or to know when a user is desperately trying to turn off its screeching alarms; yet surely the automated car is right around the corner!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Don't confuse "didn't" with "can't".

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Eletriarnation posted:

I just googled that and got zero results.

It was a live journal which apparently is hard to find now... http://thenotmom.com/when-i-thought-you-were-childfree-feels-like-betrayal/ discusses it.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

A Man With A Plan posted:

agreed. do your duty, citizen.

In other news, Uber settled two of the big class action suits against it for a total of 84 million. They were also fined a few mil for operating in PA without appropriate licenses. I think these lawsuits only apply to CA and MA, so I imagine other states may jump in on the fun.
It's basically "Sorry we didn't pay you properly, here is some money" but no admission or ruling that Uber drivers are employees instead of contractors. Basically a victory for Uber.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah it's good for them, at least for the time being. It probably won't last.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Uber is going to fight to (somebody's) death to keep from classifying drivers as employees, because if they do, their "disruptive" buisiness model collapses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Uber is going to fight to (somebody's) death to keep from classifying drivers as employees, because if they do, their "disruptive" buisiness model collapses.

They did have a good run though on convincing the world that tax fraud and employee code violations was innovative though.