Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

NESguerilla posted:

Are the Twin Princes a dead end? Went back to check out Archdragon Peak but after this I'm not sure where to go.

hosed as in too big? Cause that sword seems ridiculously good.

It is WAY too big. I can upload gifs for evidence here in a bit, I'm chopping up a stream video because I just had an amazing invasion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Shindragon posted:

And in the tradition of Souls games, the one boss (Crystal Sage) I was having a trouble time with, I beat him on my first attempt this morning. Again this is my 2nd run through in the game, and I rarely use magic at all. So it was fun having to learn my timing of when I can throw fireballs.

Thanks to the two goons, yeah I dunno why my other attempts I tried to bum rush him. This time took it slow and methodical, hid behind pillars and waited for openings. I got lucky for the last 3 fireorb shots he didn't teleport after sending out his clones so finished him off for good.

bum rushing is the easiest way to win that fight - it's pinwheel but a bit tougher.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

tidiox posted:

Not in your left hand, you can't. Unless I'm missing something. I guess I have to make room for it in my right.

Hold the 2-handed button to 2-hand your left weapon.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Groovelord Neato posted:

bum rushing is the easiest way to win that fight - it's pinwheel but a bit tougher.

Oh no I agree, sword and board I beat his rear end in the first try in my first build.

Pyro?

Yeah doesn't work as much considering i"m not stunning him and making him teleport away like the rear end in a top hat he is.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Babe Magnet posted:

It is WAY too big. I can upload gifs for evidence here in a bit, I'm chopping up a stream video because I just had an amazing invasion.

Yeah. I've been whacking invaders down pretty easily with it. I wasn't going to use it because I think it's dumb looking but it's just so goddamn good I used my first slab on it. Probably op. People seem to have trouble rolling away from it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

it's like the estoc where, if you're close enough, you can't roll away from it. The hitbox is so long it covers your entire roll and it'll just hit you when your iframes are over

It also tracks like a motherfucker

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I can't use the swordspear in pvp. Every time I use its ability it just ignores the person and hits the ground at max distance.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

So are greatswords nuts or do dual weapons just suck? Cause I did my first playthrough with dual scimitars and I was pretty happy with their special attack that let me hit groups of enemies for pretty big damage. Now I'm using Butcher's Knife and I can do the same thing but faster, at no mana cost and with A scaling from the get go :psyduck:

Time to get a Dark Sword I suppose.

Elman fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 23, 2016

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Bardeh posted:

Has anyone ever willingly summoned a purple phantom? I've been invaded by them, but I'm not sure why you'd summon one when they're in all likelihood going to gently caress you over the first chance they get.

I summon them to kill reds.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Bardeh posted:

Has anyone ever willingly summoned a purple phantom? I've been invaded by them, but I'm not sure why you'd summon one when they're in all likelihood going to gently caress you over the first chance they get.
Sometimes, when I slammed my head against things, I like summoning them.

They also know whats up, so what you can do is summon a bunch of them to fight invaders for you, because its in their benefit to beat up the other phantoms before beating you. And have fun, of course.

It is the funhaver covenant. It's what I used to do as a twink in DS1 in the Undead Burg: sometimes give them lategame weapons you get too late to be useful, some much needed humanity and then suicide, sometimes fight them with whips and knives like Simon Belmont, other times play Dark Souls Santa, by giving them a line of things before using the Darkwraith hand to murder them with the humanity sucking strong attack.

If you want to have more fun, to spice up a run, summon a purple. They might even help you. And once you summon one, you're more likely to be invaded by other phantoms! Fantastic.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'

Elman posted:

So are greatswords nuts or do dual weapons just suck? Cause I did my first playthrough with dual scimitars and I was pretty happy with their special attack that let me hit groups of enemies or pretty big damage. Now I'm using Butcher's Knife and I can do the same but faster, at no mana cost and with A scaling from the get go :psyduck:

Dual weapons do reduced damage when you hit with both of them as opposed to just one and I am still outraged over it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Is it near the wedding chapel thing behind the illusory wall? That is the only thing I see up here, I feel like I should be able to interact with the huge round room but I can't see how

E. Never mind, the second after I typed that I found the lever

Don't feel bad, I had to look at the wiki to find that loving lever.

Whoever wrote 'illusion here' just off the end is an arsehole

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Also greatswords are still really good even after the nerf. The advent of infinite rolling and stamina drain being negligible on most weapons has made them king of the heap.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I wonder why From insists on the player being able to block with every weapon when two handed when its basically never useful. Its weird for weapons with special functions like the immolation tinder; since it can cast sorceries, one of the weapon functions had to be replaced. Instead of replacing the useless guard, they replace the strong attack.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Bardeh posted:

I like to summon purple and red phantoms at the same time and have 3-man FFA battles.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Elman posted:

So are greatswords nuts or do dual weapons just suck? Cause I did my first playthrough with dual scimitars and I was pretty happy with their special attack that let me hit groups of enemies or pretty big damage. Now I'm using Butcher's Knife and I can do the same but faster, at no mana cost and with A scaling from the get go :psyduck:

Yep, pvp is pretty bad in this game because the way combat works in this game means most weapons are poo poo. The chaos of it is pretty fun though.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Deceitful Penguin posted:

They also know whats up, so what you can do is summon a bunch of them to fight invaders for you, because its in their benefit to beat up the other phantoms before beating you.

This isn't really true to be honest - to get the vertebra shackle they either need the host to die, or kill the number of phantoms that are there when they're summoned (and once they get the shackle, they're automatically teleported back home) So killing the host is probably the easiest option most of the time if they're just interested in getting their covenant items

But ignoring the covenant items it definitely is more fun being a purple phantom than a red one though

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Babe Magnet posted:

Dealing with the Dark Sword in pvp is a huge pain in the rear end, especially given how fast the attacks come out. It's fantastic for pve too, maybe could use some kind of adjustment.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
You leave my goddamn sword alone. :colbert:

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Without spoiling anything, getting the Giant's Coal was kinda depressing. That whole area sure brings back some memories though.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Bardeh posted:

I've tried both summoning purples, and being the purple that gets summoned. It's kind of sucky. I prefer mad invasions instead.

My first plan was to summon a purple guy and feed him sunbros. It didn't play out that way. The purples I summoned all went straight for me, ignoring yellow phantoms the two times I managed to find some. There was another purple guy I summoned on two separate occasions when I got invaded by reds, and I still had to kill him both times because he ignored the red. It wasn't even an opportunistic back and forth, just straight up ignoring the half dead red. I thought he got the idea the second time, but nope.

I've tried to be the purple being summoned, and it's annoying because you spawn in an invasion spot and have to fight your way through the NPCs to get where everyone else is hanging out. Also, the hosts attacked me unprovoked. I can handle myself, but it kind of defeats the purpose to just murder the host as soon as possible when I could hang out and wait for poo poo to get crazy.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 23, 2016

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Jesus, and I thought Nameless King was loving stupid with his unpunishable attacks, Gundyr can just gently caress right off.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

You come at the champ you best not miss

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I started with a warrior and after finishing Cathedral of the Deep I'm still running around with a +3 Fire version of the starting Axe. I haven't used anything but the Axe so far, so I don't know how anything else compares really. I'm using the herald armor set and a dragon crest shield and pretty much right below 70% weight ratio. It seems like this setup is a pretty good balance so far but should I be looking for something else at this point? I'm just wondering if there's any other weapons/setups that might be more fun or effective for someone focusing mostly on strength (30 str/10 dex/19 vitality)

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

quote:

I started with a warrior and after finishing Cathedral of the Deep I'm still running around with a +3 Fire version of the starting Axe. I haven't used anything but the Axe so far, so I don't know how anything else compares really. I'm using the herald armor set and a dragon crest shield and pretty much right below 70% weight ratio. It seems like this setup is a pretty good balance so far but should I be looking for something else at this point? I'm just wondering if there's any other weapons/setups that might be more fun or effective for someone focusing mostly on strength (30 str/10 dex/19 vitality)

You have 30 strength, you have no business running around with pissy elemental weapons. Get a weapon and then infuse it with a heavy gem for str scaling. Great Axe is a good weapon, or even the Butcher's Machete; which drop frequently from those butcher guys near the dilapidated bridge.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Fuligin posted:

Dealing with the Dark Sword in pvp is a huge pain in the rear end, especially given how fast the attacks come out. It's fantastic for pve too, maybe could use some kind of adjustment.

I use the Dark Sword in pvp and it's pretty good, a lot of people don't know the move set and expect you to thrust like its a long sword instead of an uppercut. You can't even thrust unless coming out of a roll or a second r2 if I remember right. You need a bunch of stamina to sort of stun lock people with it.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I wish I could do some mound maker invasions but I activated the tree too early and made sirris mad at me. drat..

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Adam Bowen posted:

Enchanting it with Fire means that you lose all scaling on the weapon (I think?) so the damage on it will start to drop off very soon. I wouldn't invest any more upgrade materials on the axe. For a Strength build, the Dark Sword is pretty drat good if you infuse it with a Heavy gem (you can get it at the end of Farron's Keep) or if you want something bigger the Butcher Knife has A scaling in STR and you probably already have it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I went through 90% of my first playthrough with the battleaxe, it's a fine balanced weapon.

Like the others have said, the fire infusion isn't doing you any favors however since you get no benefit from your strength.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
How often do Dark Wraiths drop the sword?

Alternatively, is there a database of drop rates generally? I didn't see anything like that on the wiki but maybe I haven't been looking hard enough.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Night Blade posted:

You have 30 strength, you have no business running around with pissy elemental weapons. Get a weapon and then infuse it with a heavy gem for str scaling. Great Axe is a good weapon, or even the Butcher's Machete; which drop frequently from those butcher guys near the dilapidated bridge.

Bardeh posted:

Enchanting it with Fire means that you lose all scaling on the weapon (I think?) so the damage on it will start to drop off very soon. I wouldn't invest any more upgrade materials on the axe. For a Strength build, the Dark Sword is pretty drat good if you infuse it with a Heavy gem (you can get it at the end of Farron's Keep) or if you want something bigger the Butcher Knife has A scaling in STR and you probably already have it.

I've got the Great Axe and Butcher's Machete, but since they are so heavy won't I have to give up a lot of armor and lose a lot of attack speed by using either of those?

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Oh yea one thing that is r'y fking stupid is the amount of points you need tl dedicate to endurance if you want to wear a decent looking set, even with Havel's ring. Should've dumbed kt down to like 2 points of weight for 1 point of endurance or something. Pretty much forced to wear masters cloth/master gloces/loincloth and watjever 1 and below headpiece if I want <30% rolls

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

There isn't a major difference between the <30% and <70% rolls.

Adam Bowen posted:

I've got the Great Axe and Butcher's Machete, but since they are so heavy won't I have to give up a lot of armor and lose a lot of attack speed by using either of those?

Armor maybe, attack speed no. The butcher knife is hella fast

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Adam Bowen posted:

If you want relatively light and quick, the Dark Sword is probably your best bet. Until you get it, switch to a weapon with some scaling, though.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Babe Magnet posted:

There isn't a major difference between the <30% and <70% rolls.

If I remember right the 30 just goes farther and there's not actually much of a gamey advantage in terms of iframes or anything.

Plus fashionsouls is way too important for me to care about any kind of lame build optimizing, only limit being 70%+.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
The Hollowslayer Greatsword does more damage to hollows. Does this apply to other players with a large hollowing stat, or no?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

I AM BRAWW posted:

Oh yea one thing that is r'y fking stupid is the amount of points you need tl dedicate to endurance if you want to wear a decent looking set, even with Havel's ring. Should've dumbed kt down to like 2 points of weight for 1 point of endurance or something. Pretty much forced to wear masters cloth/master gloces/loincloth and watjever 1 and below headpiece if I want <30% rolls

The 30% roll isn't worth it since you get the same invincibility from 0-70%

Em brad the mid roll, it's super powerful.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Alright time to play the game but this thread moves too fast so I'll just ask the usual panoply of questions

- Any trap stats or other recommendations?
- Are weapon types/builds generally balanced or is there one I should avoid for being Too Good right now
- Strength, Dex or Both, I can never decide for myself
- Can you respec?
- Any other stuff you wish you knew going in?

sex shop clearance rack
Jan 20, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Alright time to play the game but this thread moves too fast so I'll just ask the usual panoply of questions

- Any trap stats or other recommendations?
- Are weapon types/builds generally balanced or is there one I should avoid for being Too Good right now
- Strength, Dex or Both, I can never decide for myself
- Can you respec?
- Any other stuff you wish you knew going in?

1: Luck, unless you're specifically built for it
2: Straight Swords will take you through the whole game and are tremendously OP
3: Dex is pretty boring and Strength lacks variety, so I say both
4: Yes, about 1/4 of the way through the game
5: You will not finish all of the quests your first playthrough, so don't even try

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

You really don't many upgrade materials in this game do you? There's always just enough drops to keep one main weapon topped off but that's it. I'm in Irithyll of the Boreal and I only have enough large titanite shards to get my weapon and shield to +6 and I can't buy anymore. The enemies that drop shards seem to drop mostly small titanite shards. Infusion gems also seem really rare - I still only have one refined gem.

Not being to experiment with different weapons without gimping yourself feels kinda lame.