Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

actually, thinking about it, with how good the soundwork has been so far in the anime i have to wonder what all they're going to do for echoes.

they're going to change the ed to it of course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

MonsterEnvy posted:

Valantine even says it in ASB.

No, you're thinking of "amber waves of pain."

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/Lunshlur/status/723300174748065793

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Johnny Joestar posted:

i liked that cool piano music that started kicking in when koichi was thinking of hitting keicho with his egg

I hope that's Koichi's theme

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Keicho looks weird for his age compared to everyone else. I guess by virtue of not being around to get a revised artstyle, he's the last of the "looks like he's 30" highschoolers.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He's also part of that high-school gang member archetype like Okuyasu which is why they're both loving huge

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Raserys posted:

I hope that's Koichi's theme

it probably is, and it's probably going to evolve as things go on

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The rap version of Josuke's theme is sung by Echoes Act 3.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Koichi's final theme leaked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkKOeeYko7w

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

It's funny that you put that up because I was going to link to it the other day but my browser crashed mid-post! I keep going back to that tweet to laugh at that picture

Roach Warehouse posted:

Keicho looks weird for his age compared to everyone else. I guess by virtue of not being around to get a revised artstyle, he's the last of the "looks like he's 30" highschoolers.
He's enormous but the biggest thing for me is that he's still in a uniform. What... why

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

MelvinBison posted:

No, you're thinking of "amber waves of pain."

Nope. He says the winter catfish line if you do a Valantine mirror match.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Can anyone whose read Purple Haze Feedback more recently than me remind me what that book says Stands like Keicho's, Shigechi and Mista's say about the user? A Stand User in that has a similar Stand to Harvest, but it's a bunch a lil card men and it mentions how users with mob type Stands are like....less put together, less organized mentally or something? The anime thread was discussing it and while Purple Haze Feedback's canon status is debatable, I thought the reasoning they used for that was interesting.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Purple Haze Feedback posted:

"According to researchers at the Speedwagon Foundation, when a stand manifests as a group like this, it's a sign the owner has a hollow pit inside. Risotto's Metallica was the same type, as were two stands in as small town in Japan named Morioh-cho called Bad Company and Harvest. Each of their owners had something fundamental missing in their mental makeup. They'd do anything to achieve their goals, betray friends over simple greed – that sort of thing. I'm the same," Murolo said. "I don't trust myself. That's why my stand is divided. I don't think there's a single thing in life or this world that's remotely permanent."

I spoilered out the name of the speaker just in case anyone's reading it or wants to read it but hasn't gotten to it.

I have absolutely no problem treating Purple Haze Feedback and anything written in it as canon because I think it really got the concept of Stands on a fundamental level and is probably the best attempt I'll ever see of translating the tension and ingenuity of Stand fights to a text medium.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I haven't read PHF (I guess I should).

I mean, that's very interesting but ultimately a bit brutal and not quite in character for a few people. That's not Mista at all, though maybe I have blinders on as he's one of my favorites.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I can understand it for Mista.

The first part, is that Sex Pistols is only 6, not hundreds, which indicates he's probably better put together then other people. To go from there and use that person who was talking about the French Translation stuff of Mista;

Mista views himself as a Clint Eastwood Gunslinger who wanders in from 'out of town' saves the day, and leaves. By this nature he seems to indicate a feeling of a lack of permanence- though when we get to the end he's accepted where he is-; he views himself as a wandering do-gooder, never really staying in one place because there's always more good to be done somewhere else. That's a lack of permanence that could indicate why he's a little divided. Add that in with his phobia of the number 4- to the point it reflects on his Stand-, and it could make some sense his Stand is slightly divided but not as much as Harvest, Metallica, and Bad Company

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Thank you for that! I couldn't remember and didn't have the book easily available. PHF is really good and you should all read it.

I love MIsta too, but I would def say he's missing something, maybe not something "fundamental" but he doesn't really have any drive or motivation. He spent his life drifting, beating up people for dissing his favorite movies and just chilling around. That's a fun way to live for a while, but once he's arrested, Bruno realizes there's no way Mista would survive in prison, he's just not that kind of person. He has a strong enough will and a good sense of justice so he can pass Polpo's test, but even in Passione, Mista's goofing and having fun. He can certainly hold his own in a fight, but even when he and Giorno take over Passione, he's content with second place and letting Giorno take the reigns. Mista's not missing something that he needs to be a whole person, he's just guy who might be a little too laid back.

Sex Pistols even reflects this with breaking up into six entities rather than Shigiechi's 100+ Harvest or Keicho's army to show that Mista's a lighter example. Saying Shigechi's missing something fundamental seems a little harsh for a middle schooler yeah, but he seems to not able to understand others super well and is generally pretty greedy. Granted, he's young, his development hasn't finished yet so we should cut him some slack, but his attitude and nature gets him into some rough spots and rubs people the wrong way.

e: oh also, i feel those recent posts in the anime thread are toeing the line a little, even if one is behind a spoiler tag. i dunno, maybe that's just me

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 24, 2016

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Stallion Cabana posted:

I can understand it for Mista.

The first part, is that Sex Pistols is only 6, not hundreds, which indicates he's probably better put together then other people. To go from there and use that person who was talking about the French Translation stuff of Mista;

Mista views himself as a Clint Eastwood Gunslinger who wanders in from 'out of town' saves the day, and leaves. By this nature he seems to indicate a feeling of a lack of permanence- though when we get to the end he's accepted where he is-; he views himself as a wandering do-gooder, never really staying in one place because there's always more good to be done somewhere else. That's a lack of permanence that could indicate why he's a little divided. Add that in with his phobia of the number 4- to the point it reflects on his Stand-, and it could make some sense his Stand is slightly divided but not as much as Harvest, Metallica, and Bad Company

That makes WAY more sense to me, yeah. Thank you.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
"My stand is a tool of justice" - a member of a murderous drug peddling gang

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I would just like to remind everyone Jolyne's mom is Shoko Nakagawa, tia.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Mista's biggest crime is his failure to bathe; he's guilty of absolutely nothing else, ever

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Baal posted:

I would just like to remind everyone Jolyne's mom is Shoko Nakagawa, tia.

why do you mock a young lady's dream of getting punched repeatedly by a powerful stand

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Yinlock posted:

why do you mock a young lady's dream of getting punched repeatedly by a powerful stand

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Pomp posted:

"My stand is a tool of justice" - a member of a murderous drug peddling gang

Emporio: But this isn't MY Stand!!!

STANDING HERE, I REALIZE~

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Yinlock posted:

I'm not mocking, that's my otp

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
My actual otp is me x jotaro, back the gently caress off shokotan

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
my otp is

poo poo, i just realized i don't have one

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
diavolo x bill murray

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Don't worry, I'll just jot this down on my stand, Love Note, and everyth- oh poo poo, just wrote down Dio Brando x Jonathon Joestar

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Moltrey posted:

Thank you for that! I couldn't remember and didn't have the book easily available. PHF is really good and you should all read it.

I love MIsta too, but I would def say he's missing something, maybe not something "fundamental" but he doesn't really have any drive or motivation. He spent his life drifting, beating up people for dissing his favorite movies and just chilling around. That's a fun way to live for a while, but once he's arrested, Bruno realizes there's no way Mista would survive in prison, he's just not that kind of person. He has a strong enough will and a good sense of justice so he can pass Polpo's test, but even in Passione, Mista's goofing and having fun. He can certainly hold his own in a fight, but even when he and Giorno take over Passione, he's content with second place and letting Giorno take the reigns. Mista's not missing something that he needs to be a whole person, he's just guy who might be a little too laid back.

Sex Pistols even reflects this with breaking up into six entities rather than Shigiechi's 100+ Harvest or Keicho's army to show that Mista's a lighter example. Saying Shigechi's missing something fundamental seems a little harsh for a middle schooler yeah, but he seems to not able to understand others super well and is generally pretty greedy. Granted, he's young, his development hasn't finished yet so we should cut him some slack, but his attitude and nature gets him into some rough spots and rubs people the wrong way.

e: oh also, i feel those recent posts in the anime thread are toeing the line a little, even if one is behind a spoiler tag. i dunno, maybe that's just me

Didn't it say in his backstory that he was a drifter because of "fear", like a fear of making a commitment or having an actual goal? Does it ever elaborate on this later on or is that just something that has to be inferred?

Now that I'm typing that, it does sound a little similar to Gyro and the whole "which side of the net will the ball fall on" thing.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

My OTP is always young joseph joestar and his two bodybuilding mayan/aztec husbands.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Desperado Bones posted:

My OTP is always young joseph joestar and his two bodybuilding mayan/aztec husbands.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

BaDandy posted:

Didn't it say in his backstory that he was a drifter because of "fear", like a fear of making a commitment or having an actual goal? Does it ever elaborate on this later on or is that just something that has to be inferred?

Now that I'm typing that, it does sound a little similar to Gyro and the whole "which side of the net will the ball fall on" thing.
Looking at the new translation, yeah, Mista lives his life as simply as he can because thinking of the future invites fear and uncertainty into his heart. However, the incident that gets Mista arrested teaches him that everyone has their own fate, and that even though people will sometimes come to a standstill in their path to the future, fate will lead them down their destined path.

Even though Mista gets a goal in Passione and has a path to the future, it's not one he's running down, but taking his sweet time

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Yeah it feels like Mistah's psyche is pretty messed up with him using his superstition and his (seldom mentioned) supreme faith in God having a destiny for him to cover for his mental issues. Like he appears calm and held together but he's removed all uncertainty by making god responsible for his ultimate fate, and focuses his fear on the number 4.

:shrug:
Or maybe it just lines up decently that way and he's just chill as gently caress aside from his number obsession.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Count Uvula posted:

Yeah it feels like Mistah's psyche is pretty messed up with him using his superstition and his (seldom mentioned) supreme faith in God having a destiny for him to cover for his mental issues. Like he appears calm and held together but he's removed all uncertainty by making god responsible for his ultimate fate, and focuses his fear on the number 4.

:shrug:
Or maybe it just lines up decently that way and he's just chill as gently caress aside from his number obsession.

When you put it that way, Mista seems very similar to Pucci.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Silver2195 posted:

When you put it that way, Mista seems very similar to Pucci.

I mean if you want to look at it oddly Pucci's ability to take people apart with Disks is kind of the reverse of what we're talking about with multi part stands; he's fostering his split psyche onto other people instead of himself.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

Now that I think about it, isn't Tonio's a multi-part/swarm stand? What is fuckled in his brain, I wonder?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Astro Ambulance posted:

Now that I think about it, isn't Tonio's a multi-part/swarm stand? What is fuckled in his brain, I wonder?

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Astro Ambulance posted:

He loved Cooking so much he naturally developed a Stand; that's what's wrong with him and also what's super right with him. He went on a years long journey to be THE PERFECT COOK. It's an obsession.

Arguably the fact Rohan doesn't have a swarm stand is what kind of pokes a hole in this theory more then anything but then again it's Rohan.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Look, not everyone who has a messed up brain has a swarm stand, but everyone who has a swarm stand has a messed up brain. It all works out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Everyone who has a Stand and everyone who ever will have a Stand is an rear end in a top hat and has a messed up brain.