Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
What priority/order do you guys level your stats up in? I know pretty much where I want to end up with my character but I have no idea if I should be maxing things out one at a time or going for some kind of proportional split or what.

e: And related question, if I were to stop at 25 or 40 or something for low-level PvP, how would that change things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Is it worth respeccing to 99 luck for farming, or does it make a negligible difference that's not worth losing out on stats that make fighting the mobs easier?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

WarpedLichen posted:

You really don't many upgrade materials in this game do you? There's always just enough drops to keep one main weapon topped off but that's it. I'm in Irithyll of the Boreal and I only have enough large titanite shards to get my weapon and shield to +6 and I can't buy anymore. The enemies that drop shards seem to drop mostly small titanite shards. Infusion gems also seem really rare - I still only have one refined gem.

Not being to experiment with different weapons without gimping yourself feels kinda lame.

I was loving drowning in Titanite of all varieties before I reached the game's end, not to mention you eventually get the option to purchase all of them as well.

Don't ever upgrade your shield, there's no point to it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The next area showers you in large shards.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

I was loving drowning in Titanite of all varieties before I reached the game's end, not to mention you eventually get the option to purchase all of them as well.

Reinforcing shields boosts stability, for what it's worth. Not pointless at all.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

You also get the ashes that make the firelink merchant sell unlimited large shards in the area after Irithyll.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Oxxidation posted:

I was drowning in everyhting except chunks, i had about 250 large shardsand about a dozen chunks to show for a good 2 hours of farming.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Is there a chime/talisman better for light offensive miracles than the saint talisman? The wiki is saying Yorshka's is but I dont wanna kill her :smith:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Hamsterlady posted:

Is it worth respeccing to 99 luck for farming, or does it make a negligible difference that's not worth losing out on stats that make fighting the mobs easier?

There's a cap on item find and I'm pretty sure you can hit it with 20 luck and rusted coins

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Babe Magnet posted:

There's a cap on item find and I'm pretty sure you can hit it with 20 luck and rusted coins

Regular rusted, or gold rusted? If the latter, is there a way to get infinite gold coins, or just the small handful patches gives you and maybe as a rare drop (and grinding for items to make grinding go faster is absurd)

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!

Oxxidation posted:

Stability increases are pretty useful dude

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I'm trying to play the game co-op with a friend who is playing for the first time while I'm using an endgame character. We have passwords set and everything, but she's still only able to see my summon sign sporadically (as in, we've only gotten it to work once).

Is there anything specific I can do to increase the odds of having my summon sign show up for her? I already make sure to take off my armor and weapons every time just in case having powerful gear blocks you from connecting to lower level characters.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

JordanKai posted:

I'm trying to play the game co-op with a friend who is playing for the first time while I'm using an endgame character. We have passwords set and everything, but she's still only able to see my summon sign sporadically (as in, we've only gotten it to work once).

Is there anything specific I can do to increase the odds of having my summon sign show up for her? I already make sure to take off my armor and weapons every time just in case having powerful gear blocks you from connecting to lower level characters.

When I tried co-oping with some friends it worked in some areas but not others. I have no idea why this would be the case; specifically, it worked every time in the first Undead Settlement bonfire but not the next bonfire after that.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

When I tried co-oping with some friends it worked in some areas but not others. I have no idea why this would be the case; specifically, it worked every time in the first Undead Settlement bonfire but not the next bonfire after that.

I ran into the exact same thing! The Undead Settlement bonfire is the only one we got it to work at for some reason. :(

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I think regular? I'll look it up.

There's no way I'm aware of for gold rusted coins. Regular you can buy 'em from patches, tho.

e: nevermind, doing more research

I can't find any info on the item find cap.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 23, 2016

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Babe Magnet posted:

I think regular? I'll look it up.

There's no way I'm aware of for gold rusted coins. Regular you can buy 'em from patches, tho.

Okay so it looks like Gold Serpent Ring + rusted Coin = max iftem find (199). it doesn't matter what your luck is. If you don't want to rely on coins, gold serpent ring + 49 luck

My item find stat easily goes over 199 with the ring, coin, and symbol of avarice. Does it stop actually affecting anything past 199?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah I read hard cap at 99 luck (199 item find) as 199 is the item find hard cap. My b.

What is good info is that every 100 item discovery is a straight precentile increase to drop rates. So if an item has a 5% chance to drop and you have 200 ID, it has a 10% chance to drop. If the item has a 10% chance to drop and you have 230 ID, it has a 23% chance to drop.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 23, 2016

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

This host's white phantom just totally changed sides on him and started attacking him when I showed up. I mean I was watching them go through the level and I tried to ambush them while they were fighting a black knight and the white just switched sides immediately.

Injun Greenberg
Sep 14, 2011
So I've killed the two princes but I can't use their ashes for anything. Aren't they supposed to go on the main throne in firelink shrine? There's no prompt. Am I missing something?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

It was a red (or purple) phantom wearing a ring that makes you look like a white phantom.

No it doesn't work on signs, sadly.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

argondamn posted:

This host's white phantom just totally changed sides on him and started attacking him when I showed up. I mean I was watching them go through the level and I tried to ambush them while they were fighting a black knight and the white just switched sides immediately.

I think you just met a mound maker with a False White Ring

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Babe Magnet posted:

It was a red (or purple) phantom wearing a ring that makes you look like a white phantom.

No it doesn't work on signs, sadly.

Speaking of those, I want an Untrue Red ring, just to spice things up a little

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah I read hard cap at 99 luck (199 item find) as 199 is the item find hard cap. My b.

What is good info is that every 100 item discovery is a straight precentile increase to drop rates. So if an item has a 5% chance to drop and you have 200 ID, it has a 10% chance to drop. If the item has a 10% chance to drop and you have 230 ID, it has a 23% chance to drop.

Alright, thanks. I'll just put the gold ring +1, symbol of avarice, and coins and that should be good enough. Respeccing and then having to spec back before I can do anything else is too much trouble.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq-TyMu7qv0

These dudes were running around a level 30 pvp zone (I'm level 31) with late-game armor and weapons. Probably expecting to jump some poor red phantom invaders with their hosed up gank squad.

But what they didn't expect...

... was the power of friendship.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Solomonic posted:

I think you just met a mound maker with a False White Ring

Yeah I thought I heard mound-makers were the one covenant that couldn't use the false white ring to change their status?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I feel so Goddamned sad and frustrated having failed Seigward TWICE now. You only get ONE shot at it, and Yhorm just won't stop loving wailing on him. I hate it. I failed you buddy :smith:

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
Any particular advice for a guy who's awful at this game? I haven't beaten the second boss yet mostly due to time constraints but I'm wondering mostly what I can manage for a build. I started knight and found the deep battle axe so I've just been dumping levels into (hp) and (weight limit). I went ahead and got the official guide for helping me find poo poo (only to find out I had already cleaned out the first level). Just looking for general advice, really, as I still have trouble with all the guys with spears and armor (wing knight and whatever the above average full plate guys are). Is my build going to keep up for a while until I get the hang of this stuff?

Oh. This is my first souls game as well.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

argondamn posted:

Yeah I thought I heard mound-makers were the one covenant that couldn't use the false white ring to change their status?

Hahaha no we can definitely do that. Our summon sign is still purple, though, so if somebody summons us and still thinks we're a white then whatever happens is pretty much on them.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

argondamn posted:

Could have just been a regular dark spirit wearing the ring :shrug:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

There should be a ring that makes you look red to keep invaders on their toes too.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Babe Magnet posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq-TyMu7qv0

These dudes were running around a level 30 pvp zone (I'm level 31) with late-game armor and weapons. Probably expecting to jump some poor red phantom invaders with their hosed up gank squad.

But what they didn't expect...

... was the power of friendship.

I'm rally bummed I can't get mound makers on my current run through :'(

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

Quick question, going for the lord of hollows ending. Does using the velka statue to remove hollowing but keeping dark signs break the quest? I've heard a high hollowing level messes with invasions/summoning so I want to fix that.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Currently I'm running around with 24 str and 18 dex rocking the Wolf Knight's Greatsword. Should I continue using it, or should I switch to the dark sword I got since this thread seems to love it so much?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

How often do Dark Wraiths drop the sword?

Alternatively, is there a database of drop rates generally? I didn't see anything like that on the wiki but maybe I haven't been looking hard enough.

I've probably killed a bit more than 10 of the guys and I have two Dark Swords at item discovery 111

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Calaveron posted:

I've probably killed a bit more than 10 of the guys and I have two Dark Swords at item discovery 111

Oh, that's not too bad. I've probably killed about three or four Dark Wraiths ever.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Ugato posted:

Any particular advice for a guy who's awful at this game? I haven't beaten the second boss yet mostly due to time constraints but I'm wondering mostly what I can manage for a build. I started knight and found the deep battle axe so I've just been dumping levels into (hp) and (weight limit). I went ahead and got the official guide for helping me find poo poo (only to find out I had already cleaned out the first level). Just looking for general advice, really, as I still have trouble with all the guys with spears and armor (wing knight and whatever the above average full plate guys are). Is my build going to keep up for a while until I get the hang of this stuff?

STR builds with heavy weapons like greatxes and greatswords etc. are really good. If you like the big slow chunky weapons I would pump strength. That deep battleaxe will last you a while though until you find a weapon you really like, or in case you like the battleaxe, you can strip the deep off of it later and tailor it closer to what you need.

As for general advice on specific enemies or strats or whatever, keep throwing yourself at them, be patient, learn their combos and openings. As your weapons get heavier, you'll be able to stunlock enemies more often, which helps a lot.

a cop posted:

I'm rally bummed I can't get mound makers on my current run through :'(

yeah if you did the tree you can still follow Sirris questline, but if you pissed her off you're SoL my friend. Honestly, if you're jonesing for that grape juice and you're like pre-irithyll, I'd just restart. That's just me, though.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Ugato posted:

The key is to think of it like an old dance, the kind they put dance steps on cardboard for practice. A one two three four swing, and a one two, roll, and a one two, step back, one two, swing. The enemy is your dance partner, you learn their music and their step. Killing them and getting a drop is like finishing the dance and getting a little kiss.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

that is a super gay way to describe dark souls combat and I love it

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!
You know what armor set that I'm sad to see didn't make a return? The Alva set. Hands down my favorite set in 2 and one of the best looking sets in the Souls series, imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Thinking of item discovery and whatever, be sure to rock the crystal sage rapier if you're gonna try to farm something up, it gives a ridiculously significant boost to item find as long as it's out, which for me just meant in the left hand 'put away' belt slot while I 2h'd my big main weapon.