Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

HnK416 posted:

You know what armor set that I'm sad to see didn't make a return? The Alva set. Hands down my favorite set in 2 and one of the best looking sets in the Souls series, imo

Maybe you should walk around embered more often, my friend.

Specifically, between the Distant Manor bonfire and the Irithyll Dungeon staircase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aztec
Feb 15, 2012
My 5 year old son is watching me fight twin princes (great way to keep my temper in check) when his mother calls. I can't answer the phone so he picks up for me, says "hi mommy, daddy can't talk, he's drinking medicine (estus) and poking bad guys in the butt" and then he hangs up on her. Great kid.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I just taught my friend how to play Dark Souls 3 and after lending my copy he said "This is actually pretty tolerable, if it's good I might buy it".

After he died to Gundyr dozen times I said "Think it's like playing Revengeance without upgrades or Zone of the Enders on Extreme, except much easier". It was wonderful how everything suddenly clicked and he started managing his stamina and exploiting i-frames to roll through everything.

sex shop clearance rack
Jan 20, 2011

Aztec posted:

My 5 year old son is watching me fight twin princes (great way to keep my temper in check) when his mother calls. I can't answer the phone so he picks up for me, says "hi mommy, daddy can't talk, he's drinking medicine (estus) and poking bad guys in the butt" and then he hangs up on her. Great kid.

Well he's not wrong, but I can't help but feel you'll be getting a visit from CPS soon.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Can you get invaded by NPCs while any combination of offline, unembered, after the boss is dead?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

StashAugustine posted:

Can you get invaded by NPCs while any combination of offline, unembered, after the boss is dead?

Offline yes, dudes like Heysel and stuff can still roll in on you, however you do still need to be embered I think.

Some of the dark phantoms seem to break after boss is killed, some don't, it's just kind of a tossup seemingly right now.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

StashAugustine posted:

Yes, no, no.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

Sakurazuka posted:

Beat Yhorm in the most pathetic way possible, didn't realise the gimmick til afterward, got onion man killed at ~5% boss health then proceeded to burn through all my Estus as I slowly chipped away at his heels for 100 damage a hit. :shepicide:

Ah, that's all right - my first time in that fight Oniolnbro got two-shotted within the first 45 seconds. I didn't even have time to equip the other Stormruler after running all the way across the room. I died in the equip screen. The Fextra wiki is all, "be advised that having Sigbro with you in this fight will make it trivial - "

HA!

Say, do those Black K***ts after the Untended Graves ever drop anything? I've been running trains on them for about an hour - gold serpent ring, rusted coins - and nothing. It's crazy. I farmed the entire armor set & shield from the one over by Farron's Keep in probably 20 attempts or so (well, except the gauntlets). I really wand a BKGA and I don't feel to good about fighting the BK in Smouldering Lake :(

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

Some are special - Tsorig comes to mind. I can't think of any others, though. Tsorig will be there no matter what until you kill him - but then again, he's not technically an "invader."

edit: Tsorig spelling.

KaiserSchnitzel fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 23, 2016

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Hamsterlady posted:

My item find stat easily goes over 199 with the ring, coin, and symbol of avarice. Does it stop actually affecting anything past 199?

Hardcap for item find is 549, actually. It's a pain in the rear end getting it that high though because of the symbol's 10h/s damage.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

Say, do those Black K***ts after the Untended Graves ever drop anything? I've been running trains on them for about an hour - gold serpent ring, rusted coins - and nothing. It's crazy. I farmed the entire armor set & shield from the one over by Farron's Keep in probably 20 attempts or so (well, except the gauntlets). I really wand a BKGA and I don't feel to good about fighting the BK in Smouldering Lake :(

Black knight greataxe, from the one looking off the cliff on the far right, dunno if its guaranteed though. Also all their armor

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

After playing through this through NG++ now...

I am willing to say DS2 was the best game in the series and gently caress the haters. :colbert:

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

Black knight greataxe, from the one looking off the cliff on the far right, dunno if its guaranteed though. Also all their armor

Yeah I've been slaughtering them wholesale. I'm asking if they ever drop anything. I've already got the armor & shield; I need the UltraGS and the BKGA - and some gauntlets.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Guys, I think Digital_Jesus has developed dementia. :(

But really though I dunno, just nothing at all in 2 clicked for me personally.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Finally into this with the new computer. The Mound Makers covenant is fantastic, just troll along with the host until he gets invaded or an enemy fucks him up, then "I never really was on your side." :allears:

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

Yeah I've been slaughtering them wholesale. I'm asking if they ever drop anything. I've already got the armor & shield; I need the UltraGS and the BKGA - and some gauntlets.

I've grinded out the whole set multiple times from them.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I saw someone saying Seig isn't an unkindled today and I was very confused considering one of the first loving things he ever says to you is that he's unkindled like you.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Thanks - I'll keep at it then. It must be bad luck on my side.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Digital_Jesus posted:

I am willing to say DS2 was the best game in the series and gently caress the haters. :colbert:

SOTFS is, yes.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I don't know which one was my favorite but I think Dark Souls 3 is my least favorite. It's still a good game but nothing about it has captured me the way DS1/DS2 did. I'm not sure if it's because of the game itself or because it's the 5th Souls game I've played but the environments are repetitive and kind of boring, I miss small summon signs, I'm not a big fan of the faster combat pace (I like this game more than Bloodborne, though), few of the bosses are memorable, and there are some weird omissions that don't make any sense like the way DS2 highlighted bonfires that were active in your level range on the travel screen.

DS2 had my favorite level/environment designs out of the trilogy and I guess it's probably my favorite in the series. I didn't like it as much as DS1 until I had played through it a few times so maybe DS3 will be the same.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 23, 2016

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Down goes Soul Of Cinder and my first playthrough. Ended the fire. 41 hours, level 86 with a dex-build, weapon-mistress sort of character who dropped the sellsword's shield at the first opportunity and never picked a shield up for the remainder of the game. Rolled with the Washing Pole and an Onislayer greatbow as my primary two weapons for probably the last 3rd of the game, and vs Soul Of Cinder, was really happy with that build. Bows/Greatbows were great at thinning out enemies from afar and luring them into 1 or maybe 2v1s instead of mob battles, and the sheer length of the washing pole is absolutely fantastic for how fast it is. Was hitting real hard, too, by the time I got to 30 dex. The Katana parry was also pretty neat, I got the timing down on that fairly reliably.

Soul Of Cinder is definitely my favorite Souls final boss, as well. Love how he cycles through the fighting styles of all those who linked the fire, and the music is fantastic, especially once it starts drawing on Gwyn's theme.

Game was real good. Probably my favorite Soulsborne game, and it wouldn't even be up for discussion if stability were better. Favorite suite of bosses in the series. Only a few (deacons, sage, wolnir, King of the Storm) fell at all flat for me. Best soundtrack in the series, too.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Yardbomb posted:

Guys, I think Digital_Jesus has developed dementia. :(

But really though I dunno, just nothing at all in 2 clicked for me personally.

I dunno dude, playing through the game three times in the span it took most of the normally nerdy people to play though once is pretty demented.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
How do you pyromancy? Never played a caster in Souls game. From what I gather, use Fire Gem asap and level Int/fth, attunement and save fire for bosses?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I enter into Irithyll dungeon: EIIIIIIIAAAAAARRRRRRGGGHHHH

I run straight out again.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Digital_Jesus posted:

I'll reserve judgment until the DLC is out because SOTFS is great due to amazingly high quality DLC.

Right now DS3 is good but the linearity combined with the wonky online mechanics keeps me from really appreciating it more. But then DS2 had terrible online until I started cheating myself cracked eye orbs so :shrug:

VVV Kill the invader wearing it and the shrine maiden will sell it.

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!

Babe Magnet posted:

Maybe you should walk around embered more often, my friend.

Specifically, between the Distant Manor bonfire and the Irithyll Dungeon staircase

You're doing Gwyns work. Now where the heck do I actually find that set?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Digital_Jesus posted:

Dark Souls 2 was the first in the series that I actually finished and got me hooked. Even so I cannot share that opinion. So far Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 have been the games that really clicked with me. This might sound shallow but these games are just so gorgeous looking on PS4. It's like art in motion.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

HnK416 posted:

It's lying on the floor in the dungeon now that you've down the phantom. Can't remember where, exactly.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

HnK416 posted:

Irithyll Dungeon zone

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So pestilent mercury apparently hurts the caster if they stand in it. If you coop, does it hurt your buddies as well?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Watching Brad from GiantBomb play DS1 yesterday really made me appreciate how much better these games look with a good lighting engine.

You could probably just hot swap the entire game into the DS3 engine with no other changes and it would look loving fantastic.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Jesus finally beat the twin princes, turns out if dodging just right you can tag both with crystal soul spear and that's pretty much that for them. That was like 20 tries, by far the hardest boss to fight as sorcerer.

Went on to do nameless king, gave him the business first try, only used one ashen estus. Considering how people have been cursing that boss I expected to get my rear end kicked but turns out my magic glass cannon found its day! Actually it's had many days against plenty of bosses and tough enemies. Basically only the twins gave me serious trouble tbh, magic is fine in DS3.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

i wish i could play ds3 with ds2's weapons and combat system

i'd love to see how poorly ds3 enemies fair against straight swords and katanas that are significantly better than ds3 ones when the ds3 ones are already considered to be super strong

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Put The Kirkhammer In Dark Souls 3

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Watching Brad from GiantBomb play DS1 yesterday really made me appreciate how much better these games look with a good lighting engine.

You could probably just hot swap the entire game into the DS3 engine with no other changes and it would look loving fantastic.

And sometimes it looks like everything is made of plastic;

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'd rather have a good weapon.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

all weapons in ds3

all of them

whirligig in ds3
blueblood sword in ds3

an ak-47 in ds3

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

HnK416 posted:

I just did this last night! It's in the room with 5000 jailers before you get to PC.

See you on the ultra-chrome side buddy

Secx
Mar 1, 2003

Hippopotamus retardus
Yhorm is a badly designed fight in my opinion.

I got the hint that I was supposed to use the sword against him my first time. I was able to equip it without dying, then realized it didn't do jack poo poo as damage. I died. Respawn, read the item description and figure out I need to use the L2 skill. Round 2: I press L2 and nothing happens. I die. I finally figure out you need to charge it by holding L2.

Nothing else in the game has a chargeable L2 skill and the game doesn't teach you that. I go in with a charged L2 and whack at him for peanuts again. I die. Turns out you need to have a charged L2 AND have to press R1 to unleash the attack. Again, no other weapon in the game has a similar skill and no enemies showed that kind of skill either.

It'd be much better if they gave the player subtle clues or hints by having previous enemies use that kind of skill on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

And sometimes it looks like everything is made of plastic;

In fairness, I'm trying to think of a time videogames ever made hewn stone look convincing, and not coming up with anything.