Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Goo posted:

Yeah that's a little confusing. You need to be in Automatic Game Detection mode (not using onboard memory) to bind those functions to G900 buttons. In onboard mode you can only start the analyzer manually. To get into automatic game detection mode, from the home screen of the mouse in LGS click on the picture of the PC instead of the mouse with a memory chip on it. Then you can create a new Function command to start/pause or stop Input Analysis.

Thank you so much for this answer, weird that they didn't mention this in the manual which is otherwise quite good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
I managed to convince my IT guys at work to get me a MX Master because I grew to hate my magic mouse. I'm so happy. The scroll wheel is excellent!

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
My Logitech Performance MX's scroll wheel started to get inconsistent. Cleaning it out made it slightly better, but still pissed me off at times. I like clicky scroll wheels - not smooth rollers.

I replaced it with a SteelSeries Sensei RAW. It's a corded mouse, clicky wheel, ambidextrous, and can do DPI switching. The software actually flashes the settings to the mouse, and the mouse remembers them. You don't actually have to have the software installed for everything to work. I switch back and forth from Windows to OSX so this mouse works the same on both systems no problem. I have the left side buttons as forward and back, and the right side as page up/page down. The DPI switching button is right below the scroll wheel - but you can make it do something else if you want. I changed it to a media/next track button.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Robo Reagan posted:

Alright, I'll grab the Logitech mouse then. It's not that I don't like Logitech, I just wish that they made their stuff out of titanium or something.

That would put it well out of your price range though. Seems like a real problem.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
So I decided to do a li'l something for my mouse brethren

From left to right: Asus ROG Gladius, Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0, Logitech G500, Logitech G402, Steelseries Rival, Zowie EC1 Evo

Most of these were pulled out of storage so if they're a little dusty that's why.

Some words if anyone cares: Having big hands and using a mouse sucks, so I've been trying to find something good over the years. The first mouse that really clicked (sorry) for me was the MS Intellimouse Explorer 3.0, but it's sort of a technological dinosaur in that if you want to use a higher polling rate you need to run unsigned drivers, and the DPI is not adjustable either. The Logitech mice are great and I didn't have any defects with them, but I like the simplicity of the IME3.0. The Rival is really solid as well, but a tiny bit too narrow for me. The true contender for me is the Zowie mouse, and I think it is actually designed to continue / replace the IME3.0, it is almost identical. Except it has two drawbacks, which is the left click switch died very fast (none of the other mice had this), and the actual mouse buttons are not seperated from the "grip" like on the IME3.0. The Asus mouse is almost perfect for me, except it's just a tiny bit too short. If you have normal hands or you use a claw grip the Gladius is probably a perfect IME3.0 style mouse.

Sometime in the future I'll try the new Zowie EC1-A and see if the click switches are better than on the older Evo.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Icept posted:

So I decided to do a li'l something for my mouse brethren

From left to right: Asus ROG Gladius, Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0, Logitech G500, Logitech G402, Steelseries Rival, Zowie EC1 Evo

Most of these were pulled out of storage so if they're a little dusty that's why.

Some words if anyone cares: Having big hands and using a mouse sucks, so I've been trying to find something good over the years. The first mouse that really clicked (sorry) for me was the MS Intellimouse Explorer 3.0, but it's sort of a technological dinosaur in that if you want to use a higher polling rate you need to run unsigned drivers, and the DPI is not adjustable either. The Logitech mice are great and I didn't have any defects with them, but I like the simplicity of the IME3.0. The Rival is really solid as well, but a tiny bit too narrow for me. The true contender for me is the Zowie mouse, and I think it is actually designed to continue / replace the IME3.0, it is almost identical. Except it has two drawbacks, which is the left click switch died very fast (none of the other mice had this), and the actual mouse buttons are not seperated from the "grip" like on the IME3.0. The Asus mouse is almost perfect for me, except it's just a tiny bit too short. If you have normal hands or you use a claw grip the Gladius is probably a perfect IME3.0 style mouse.

Sometime in the future I'll try the new Zowie EC1-A and see if the click switches are better than on the older Evo.

I really liked my old intellimouse explorer (the big rat one, not the slimmer revision that came later), but the wire broke inside the cable where it enters the mouse on both my original and the replacement. G600 is still an option if you have ginormo hands.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I'm trying out a Mionix 7000 and one thing I'm noticing is even though it's pretty big, it's a bit flatter than my Razer Deathadder 3.5 XXXBLACK EDITIONXXX. It ends up feeling like a smaller mouse as a result, with more of my wrist/palm dragging around on the pad than the deathadder (20cm hand here). Any other more bulbous mice out there to check out that have good sensors etc?

E: I guess I like my mice with a badonk a donk

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Apr 15, 2016

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I ordered a Roccat Tyon on heavy discount from Amazon. I'm curious, although I'm not happy about the laser sensor; trip report to come.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
You bought a mouse with a laser sensor? I hope you wash your hands after touching it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

The Lord Bude posted:

You bought a mouse with a laser sensor? I hope you wash your hands after touching it.

I'm deployed and sometimes my mousing surface isn't great, so lasers sometimes don't work so well on them.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I'm trying out a Mionix 7000 and one thing I'm noticing is even though it's pretty big, it's a bit flatter than my Razer Deathadder 3.5 XXXBLACK EDITIONXXX. It ends up feeling like a smaller mouse as a result, with more of my wrist/palm dragging around on the pad than the deathadder (20cm hand here). Any other more bulbous mice out there to check out that have good sensors etc?

I did some reading and it looks like the deathadder has the tallest hump out there, at 43mm compared to the naos 38mm, g900 40, Zowie ZA11 40mm, and SteelSeries rival 40mm. Hmm

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I did some reading and it looks like the deathadder has the tallest hump out there, at 43mm compared to the naos 38mm, g900 40, Zowie ZA11 40mm, and SteelSeries rival 40mm. Hmm

the deathadder always seemed kinda flat to me - the curve is very gentle, so perhaps it might be the tallest mouse overall off the desk but I doubt very much it has the most pronounced curve. my G602 curves into my hand much better.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

fozzy fosbourne posted:

You put highly explosive missiles in your mice? isn't that kinda dangerous?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

the deathadder always seemed kinda flat to me - the curve is very gentle, so perhaps it might be the tallest mouse overall off the desk but I doubt very much it has the most pronounced curve. my G602 curves into my hand much better.

Ah, I hadn't thought of that. A mouse that is 42mm tall but is completely flat might have a shorter length from buttons to butt then a mouse that has a 25m-40mm-25mm height curve, once your hand is on it. Would be cool to have an actual measurement for "practical applied hand length" or something

The mionix naos is pretty flat. I think the Zowie ZA11 has a pretty sharp curve since its buttons are so low.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

zowie mice are all relatively small, and flat. similar in shape to a deathadder, or even more closely to an old school Microsoft intellimouse explorer. If you want a chunky mouse that will curve into the palm of your hand you should look at logitech or Corsair. Logitech mice have better sensors available though. Corsair skews more towards laser mice. My G602 for example has a very tall hump.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

zowie mice are all relatively small, and flat. similar in shape to a deathadder, or even more closely to an old school Microsoft intellimouse explorer. If you want a chunky mouse that will curve into the palm of your hand you should look at logitech or Corsair. Logitech mice have better sensors available though. Corsair skews more towards laser mice. My G602 for example has a very tall hump.

edit: I have a hybrid claw/palm grip, I think. The points of contact between my hand and mouse are pointer and middle finger resting on lmb/rmb, thumb and index finger slightly pinching mouse for control, and front half of palm wresting on mouse plus applying a little pressure for grip (as opposed to the claw where it seems like it's the back of the palm, or the palm grip where it's your whole palm

Here's what I was referencing:
Zowie ZA11. 128mm long, 40mm tall, 27mm scroll wheel or center of button or something?

This looks to be a relatively strong curve

SteelSeries Rival 300 133mm long, 40mm or 45mm tall, getting mixed reports

There seems to be disagreement on whether this one is 40mm or 45mm tall. Looks like a nice hump.

SteelSeries Rival 700, 125mm long 42mm tall

Pretty nice slope on this one. Not out yet.

Mionix Naos 7000, 131mm long, 38.7mm tall

This looks a tiny bit flatter. It's in my hand right now and it definitely feels flat. I have to sort of flatten my hand down to get the hump to wrest in my pointer and middle finger knuckle, while it sort of naturally does that with the deathadder. This feels like it extends my wrist out a little further in the back, and onto the pad.

Razer Deathadder Black Edition, 127mm length, 44mm height

Buttons start out higher than other mice, but it still has a bit of a slope. It also is tall! I have this in my hand, now, and the hump sits right in the pointer/middle knuckle area and feels pretty natural. One thing I'm now realizing is that it's got a pretty heavy righty bias:

Logitech g900, 130mm long, 40mm tall

Not sure, looks a bit flatter. Without trying it, I would imagine that it being ambidextrous, modest height, and not too strong a slope, would mean it would probably feel smaller than my deathadder and my hand would sit flatter on it, but who knows without trying.

Anyways, I think I need to go to Frys and see if I can try some of these. And maybe I just end up getting another deathadder. I'm also noticing that with the stronger right hand bias of the deathadder, it leads to my wrist being slightly closer to palm being perpendicular with the ground, as opposed to the more parallel to the ground feel of the naos for me. The former feels slightly more natural

edit:
Zowie ec1-a looks like it has closer dimensions to the deathadder:

I should see if I can try this

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 16, 2016

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Sorry for making GBS threads up the thread, but one last observation: I used the intellimouse explorer 3.0 for years and looking it up, it has similar dimensions to the deathadder, with a height of 43mm at its right hand biased hump. I wonder why gaming mice in general seem to have become slightly shorter

Armitage_Shanks
May 16, 2004

Fear the aVICtar.
Got an MX Master less than 2 weeks ago and was happy with it until I noticed the ratchet mode was less and less ratchety.. played with turning off the auto free wheel biz and all other potentially associated settings in Options but no dice. Found this thread on the Logitech Forums with lots of similar problems. Looks like it is a return to supplier job for a new one but hoping I'm not stuck in a refund hell loop to eventually get a proper one which that thread is making me think might be the case. Any others experience this?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

fozzy fosbourne posted:

edit: I have a hybrid claw/palm grip, I think. The points of contact between my hand and mouse are pointer and middle finger resting on lmb/rmb, thumb and index finger slightly pinching mouse for control, and front half of palm wresting on mouse plus applying a little pressure for grip (as opposed to the claw where it seems like it's the back of the palm, or the palm grip where it's your whole palm

Here's what I was referencing:
Zowie ZA11. 128mm long, 40mm tall, 27mm scroll wheel or center of button or something?

This looks to be a relatively strong curve

SteelSeries Rival 300 133mm long, 40mm or 45mm tall, getting mixed reports

There seems to be disagreement on whether this one is 40mm or 45mm tall. Looks like a nice hump.

SteelSeries Rival 700, 125mm long 42mm tall

Pretty nice slope on this one. Not out yet.

Mionix Naos 7000, 131mm long, 38.7mm tall

This looks a tiny bit flatter. It's in my hand right now and it definitely feels flat. I have to sort of flatten my hand down to get the hump to wrest in my pointer and middle finger knuckle, while it sort of naturally does that with the deathadder. This feels like it extends my wrist out a little further in the back, and onto the pad.

Razer Deathadder Black Edition, 127mm length, 44mm height

Buttons start out higher than other mice, but it still has a bit of a slope. It also is tall! I have this in my hand, now, and the hump sits right in the pointer/middle knuckle area and feels pretty natural. One thing I'm now realizing is that it's got a pretty heavy righty bias:

Logitech g900, 130mm long, 40mm tall

Not sure, looks a bit flatter. Without trying it, I would imagine that it being ambidextrous, modest height, and not too strong a slope, would mean it would probably feel smaller than my deathadder and my hand would sit flatter on it, but who knows without trying.

Anyways, I think I need to go to Frys and see if I can try some of these. And maybe I just end up getting another deathadder. I'm also noticing that with the stronger right hand bias of the deathadder, it leads to my wrist being slightly closer to palm being perpendicular with the ground, as opposed to the more parallel to the ground feel of the naos for me. The former feels slightly more natural

edit:
Zowie ec1-a looks like it has closer dimensions to the deathadder:

I should see if I can try this

My personal suggestion is that whatever you end up deciding, avoid steelseries and razer products.

The current generation of Logitech products has a fair variety of shapes, I'd start with Logitech just for their quality and aftermarket support, then move on if you can't find a Logitech product to suit you.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Hey Goo, is Logitech going to be entering the world of VR with controllers and such? Seems like a brave new frontier for innovation.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
I've had my G600 for coming up on 4 years now, and it's started double clicking on random single clicks :(. I'll probably just order another, simply for the G-Shift button, because it's so useful. I don't actually use the shift functionality, I just bind it as another control in games (Missing two fingers on my left hand, and my index finger is all but useless for gaming). I just wish it was more ergonomic. Logitech doesn't have a regular gaming mouse with a couple buttons on the side instead of 12, and the third click, do they?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lprsti99 posted:

I've had my G600 for coming up on 4 years now, and it's started double clicking on random single clicks :(. I'll probably just order another, simply for the G-Shift button, because it's so useful. I don't actually use the shift functionality, I just bind it as another control in games (Missing two fingers on my left hand, and my index finger is all but useless for gaming). I just wish it was more ergonomic. Logitech doesn't have a regular gaming mouse with a couple buttons on the side instead of 12, and the third click, do they?
I don't use any of the buttons on my G502 other than forward/back thumb buttons and left/right: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Logitech-G502-Proteus-Core-Tunable-Gaming-Mouse-with-Fully-Customizable-Surface/311591391430

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Josh Lyman posted:

I don't use any of the buttons on my G502 other than forward/back thumb buttons and left/right: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Logitech-G502-Proteus-Core-Tunable-Gaming-Mouse-with-Fully-Customizable-Surface/311591391430

The G600 has an extra click under the ring finger, like so:

which is what I was specifically asking after.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
So my Razer Naga is also suffering the dread double-click-when-you-single-click issue too. I've gotten really used to the absurd keypad on the side. Are the Naga and the G600 the only options with these things or are there others out there?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

neongrey posted:

So my Razer Naga is also suffering the dread double-click-when-you-single-click issue too. I've gotten really used to the absurd keypad on the side. Are the Naga and the G600 the only options with these things or are there others out there?

i think there's maybe 1 or 2 others, but these are generally the ones with competent software to go with them

Maybe try the canned air or deoxit fixes before shelving it

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

duckfarts posted:

i think there's maybe 1 or 2 others, but these are generally the ones with competent software to go with them

Maybe try the canned air or deoxit fixes before shelving it

How do you even open up a G302 or something to get the canned air access?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Yeah, I've tried getting under there, doesn't seem to help. I could just take the thing apart but that feels like work.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

neongrey posted:

Yeah, I've tried getting under there, doesn't seem to help. I could just take the thing apart but that feels like work.

Also would probably void the poo poo out of whatever warranty you may have left.

Also good news! Gonna give the G302 another go because Logitech came through with a replacement for my replacement!

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
So... Anyone bought and tried the G900 yet?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Thanks for the amazing product support Logitech. g930, g602 and an out-of-warranty g700, all replaced without hassle. You've ensured I will look at all of your stuff before beginning to consider a competitor like lmao, razer.

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

Mutant Standard posted:

So... Anyone bought and tried the G900 yet?

Yes. The clicks are very crisp feeling, it has a great sensor, and the wireless latency is imperceptible. I also personally like the shape. It's great mouse, it just costs a shitload.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

So, I'm at the point where yet another g500 has developed double left click bugs. This is like, the third in a row warrantied mouse for the exact thing (i think this is the second warranty-replacement for the same problem?)

Anyone recommend a mouse? Prefferably without logitech's shoddy left-click sensors or cost-cutting. I'm coming from a g400 or g500 and I think its time to just ditch the brand.

Looking for:
Corded. Clickscroll. 1+ thumb buttons necessary. Withstands modestly heavy use.

Whats good this year? I'm kinda eying used Mx 518's on amazon, the series before the g500 crap.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
None of what you just said applies to Logitech brandwide. Your beef is with microswitch manufacturers, and the G500 had some of the worst ones in their entire history. False double registries are by far the most common point of standard mouse malfunction anywhere because there aren't a lot of separate core manufacturers so it's a very homogenized selection. The lesser ones are very widespread.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Yeah I'd expect almost all mouse manufacturers to use Omron switches. I replaced the one that double clicked in my old MX1000 and now it works fine. You have to desolder in some tight spaces to replace the switches in some mice, though.

Diddie
Sep 1, 2001

What the heck is going on in here???
Zowie uses Huano switches which are a little stiffer but I haven't heard of them getting the double click problem.

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I have two huge hands. Beyond the obvious penis size implications, I've been needing a way bigger mouse than this cheapo, but one that doesn't look like I'm about to retake the bombsite in public places- I need to look good while I use the sucker. I need to look great. So tell me please

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Thom ZombieForm posted:

I have two huge hands. Beyond the obvious penis size implications, I've been needing a way bigger mouse than this cheapo, but one that doesn't look like I'm about to retake the bombsite in public places- I need to look good while I use the sucker. I need to look great. So tell me please

strap a mouse to your dick

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
e - actually now that I think about it nevermind

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

You'll look pretty fly with this gold one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
Not appreciating that colorway just want to put my hand on something large. (googling manly mouse yields some good poo poo for ex