Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Spanish Manlove posted:

If you summon a dude dressed as Solaire, complete with weapon and shield, say hello! I'm sunbroing the fight.

Sup cosplay buddy, I never put down summons or invade without wearing a gimmick loadout :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I just beat this game, and I'd like to say that I really enjoyed Demon's Souls 2. Looking forward to trying out a strength build next time. Maybe a hybrid with some miracles?

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Lakbay posted:

This helps alot, thanks!

Just to further clarify, I'm pretty sure to actually determine your effective health increase you'd apply the -10% from reduced damage absorption to your new health value instead of just subtracting it from your gain. But it's still pretty much the same. Starting with 20 vigor and going to 25, 90% of 947 is 852, which is ~11% more HP than you had. Whereas with 25>30 vigor, you end up with effectively ~950 HP. Or all of 3 more extra points.

If you're building a glass cannon, it'd probably be a really good ring to up your survivability or save 15 soul levels.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Hamsterlady posted:

If you just want achievement items, you only need 10 for Aldrich Faithful. The reward for 30 is a catalyst.

Oh thank christ for that, I misread the wiki. Sunbro won't be so bad as I can at least mix things up by focusing on bosses I enjoy, or invading time to time, and Rosaria's will be easy as the pale tongue drop rate is pretty decent and that's another I only need 10 for.

Really not looking forward to the mound makers and blue sentinels though. Need the full 30 for both of those.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

How do weapon buffs work in this game? Do they scale with your catalyst like in DS1? What about ring modifiers?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

pvp got me so frustrated I'm busting out photoshop

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Needs an invisible person using a go-go gadget extendo katana waiting in the back too.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

poptart_fairy posted:

Just spent a couple of hours grinding out the Watchdog covenant - my "completionist" character is SL34 at the moment - and I'm feeling quite smug as I got all 30 kills consecutively. I owe my unbroken kill streak to having 1000 HP - most people didn't seem to know what the gently caress. :v:

Watchdogs could really benefit from getting multiple items if they kill phantoms though, like mound makers, because jesus christ. I think I killed three times as many ghosts as I did actual players; although this did lead to the absurdly satisfying situation where I ganked one guy and his two bodyguards in the same combo!

Now I just have the Aldrich faithful to grind to 30. And the Blue Sentinels. And the Mound Makers. And the Sunbros.

...why do you hide so many rings and spells behind covenants, FROM. :negative:

But no matter. This game has its hooks in. I've not played any other game since I really got into this, so that bodes well.

The ring grind is the worst. If you're not one of the chosen few bluecops works for, it's like eight hours of silver knights.

I was very disappointed to find you only get concords of you're auto summoned. Sign summoning gives nothing.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The Champion crushed my spirit more than any Souls boss. I think O&S killed me more times on my first attempt but that was because I was using a pretty bad build and not comfortable with the game yet. I felt utterly helpless playing shieldless against the champ. I'm still not sure how to beat him without a shield if you don't ranged spam or parry, cause he just destroyed me with his martial arts combos in close range.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Babe Magnet posted:

pvp got me so frustrated I'm busting out photoshop

are you me, because this is almost exactly what the last invasion i had was

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I am all of us

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
After giving up after a few tries last night, I adjusted my strategy and took down the Pontiff this morning after a few more tries. The first time I got him into the second phase was also the first time I beat him, and I even did it in hollowed form. I had been playing with the grass shield on my back for pretty much the entire game, but I bit the bullet and used the Dragon Crest shield for the fight, which made everything a lot easier. It was a little weird readjusting to using a shield again, though. Pontiff and Abyss Watchers are the only two bosses thus far that I haven't got on my first or second try, and they both took maybe half a dozen tries.

Afterwards I put down my summon sign and helped some people. I was getting summoned within second every single time, so it looks like lots of folks are running in to problems there.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 23, 2016

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!
...Huh..after reading item descriptions, it seems that when you find Aldrich, he's currently in the process of devouring Gwyndolin.
:stonk:
What the actual gently caress, game.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

Wow, sunlight spear Miracles are pretty underwhelming huh? :geno:

Yup

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The Pointiff's a nasty change of pace, I found. Unless you're already intimately familiar with the Artorias and Fume Knight fights, I think most peoples' brains will just shut down when they run up against that rear end in a top hat.

Now I have his rhythm done he's fairly simple, but I still love the fight. Barely have any breathing room.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

HnK416 posted:

...Huh..after reading item descriptions, it seems that when you find Aldrich, he's currently in the process of devouring Gwyndolin.

He also really liked to eat children.

A top-class guy.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

The fallen knight trousers seem to imply that they are stained with piss

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Is the Heysel Pick any good? Just found it on my faith build, and I kinda like the moveset - worth rolling a sorcerer/assassin to use it?

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
I keep inventing new ways to die to Champion Grundyr.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

The Pointiff's a nasty change of pace, I found. Unless you're already intimately familiar with the Artorias and Fume Knight fights, I think most peoples' brains will just shut down when they run up against that rear end in a top hat.

Now I have his rhythm done he's fairly simple, but I still love the fight. Barely have any breathing room.

You have plenty of breathing room if you just rub up against his leg and circle to your right. He has no idea how to deal with it. Just smack him with your straight sword every couple seconds while he slowly turns to face you, and maybe dodge the 1-2 attacks he throws out once in a blue moon.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Well the two lesser lightning spears do reasonably good damage for their FP cast, better at point blank, the gnaws are neat, if slow, lighting stake is cool and fun, but sunlight spear hits like you loaded up an RPG with a bag of balloon animals

Spooky Bear Ghost fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 23, 2016

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Vargs posted:

You have plenty of breathing room if you just rub up against his leg and circle to your right. He has no idea how to deal with it. Just smack him with your straight sword every couple seconds while he slowly turns to face you, and maybe dodge the 1-2 attacks he throws out once in a blue moon.

Huh, I found staying close to him aggro'd the hell out of him. The only way I had breathing room to heal in the first phase was to get out to the mid-range as he was finishing up a combo.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

HnK416 posted:

And you thought real Catholics were bad!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

ShadowMar posted:

man gently caress parrying online in this game

I guess I did 40-50 pvp fights getting all the covenant stuff and was parried: once

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013
Restarted as a knight and I'm having a considerably easier time dealing with Lothric Knights now. Is their sword worth putting points into dex or should I just stick with my starting sword and keep pumping str?

Also would I go mad trying to farm their armor?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

UP AND ADAM posted:

He's not that bad. You can kill the dragon without using a single estus and then if you roll right you'll beat him. He's like an overpowered Gundyr. And he'll be that much harder to beat in NG+. I had to use many more tries on some other bosses.

i killed him when my coop died on his first charge post-dragon. the dragon phase is really a camera + hitbox battle and the 2nd phase is just roll2win

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Add me to the Siegward immediatey died club.

He got one shot off, but otherwise stood still while I could not for the life of me draw the agro away :bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Q-sixtysix posted:

The fallen knight trousers seem to imply that they are stained with piss

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed that. :allears:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

poptart_fairy posted:

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed that. :allears:

And naturally this the armor with the stat/weight ratio that makes them optimal for most players for a good chunk of the early game.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

You know I was going to let you go and crystal out, homie, as I was whompin' your rear end with these punchgloves and I felt kind of bad because you seemed to be new.

Then you summoned another phantom and started taunting me.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Sometimes the inscrutability of fromsofts NPC system is heart breaking. Ive been trying to keep all the NPC plotlines on track, and I accidentally lit the Ithryill Dungeon bonfire and apparently hosed both greirats & siegwards quests. Im heartbroken. My bros... no...

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

il serpente cosmico posted:

Huh, I found staying close to him aggro'd the hell out of him. The only way I had breathing room to heal in the first phase was to get out to the mid-range as he was finishing up a combo.

This video sums up my experience fighting Sulyvahn the 3 times I've defeated him. It's even easier with a faster weapon where you can constantly be chipping away at his side/back with no fear of retaliation. You are very unlikely to take damage doing this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k-4NrOkBfw

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Hmmmmm

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Fuligin posted:

I thought Champion Gundyr was a chump, Nameless King easily exceeds the number of attempts I've put in to the rest of the bosses combined. I hate having to repeat the stupid first phase over and over, it's really killing my enthusiasm to keep doing the fight.

If you run to the dragon's head and focus on that, you can easily dodge the King's polearm strikes. If the dragon flies up, run away at a right angle to avoid the flame attack. If he breathes fire on the ground, you get like 6 free hits on his neck. Get your weapon to +10 and you should stagger him almost every time.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Every once in a while I stop and think if maybe my name, Butte, was a bit too up-front tasteless.

Then I see those and figure on second thought everyone deserves a helpful Butte.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

prolly going for the dark lord ending, since islam is the light and all

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I'm pretty new to Dark Souls (finished 2 right before 3 was released, finished 3 and I'm playing 1 now) and I have a question for the veterans: Is it me or is it loving impossible to trigger jump attacks reliably? In all 3 games it has been a gamble if up+RT would actually trigger the jump attack or if it would just launch the normal R2 attack. Or maybe my 360 controller is broken?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

HnK416 posted:

You're doing Gwyns work. Now where the heck do I actually find that set?

It was on a corpse on the ground floor of the Dungeon, in the room with a million loving jailers for me.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Popelmon posted:

I'm pretty new to Dark Souls (finished 2 right before 3 was released, finished 3 and I'm playing 1 now) and I have a question for the veterans: Is it me or is it loving impossible to trigger jump attacks reliably? In all 3 games it has been a gamble if up+RT would actually trigger the jump attack or if it would just launch the normal R2 attack. Or maybe my 360 controller is broken?

It definitely feels a little finicky sometimes, especially compared to the kick which I manage to set off a lot more often than I'd like while trying to jiggle in fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Something I've been wondering - is there any lore at all that makes any mention of the black goo dragon things? I've had a theory that they're the spirits of the ancient dragons migrating between hosts and occasionally bursting out to gently caress poo poo up, but that's pure speculation on my part.