Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kavak posted:

So? That's just an excuse to have another game where you can get him killed!

Also Akar Kessel would be causing problems and would likely overshadow the plot the game makers would want to tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

evilmiera posted:

Is the mod community still active for the original games, then?

My friends who dragged me back, who senior admins at Spellhold Studios and Gibberlings 3, tell me that the Enhanced Editions and Siege revitalized it some... and that most of the new mods are horrible. My friends thought Valerie remained one of the more original and better-written ideas, and it would be a shame to let her wither on the vine especially since I'd already done a substantial portion of her BG2 material.

What I've been working on for the past week or so is her friendship/early romance. She has two distinct tracks based on whether you were friends with her in Baldur's Gate 1 or not, and originally the track if you were just meeting her in BG2 was a fair bit longer. I've been working on the other track, if you befriended her (and possibly kissed her) in BG1, bringing it up to the same length as the other track, as well as doing a lot of Throne of Bhaal outlining for where Valerie is going as a character.

For the moment, that answer is Damara, in most of her epilogues. :v:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Valerie is already available for the EEs, the mod is even part of BWS.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Cythereal posted:

My friends who dragged me back, who senior admins at Spellhold Studios and Gibberlings 3, tell me that the Enhanced Editions and Siege revitalized it some... and that most of the new mods are horrible.

Dang. Anything particularly cringeworthy?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Woolie Wool posted:

Valerie is already available for the EEs, the mod is even part of BWS.

Only for BG1. She has no BG2 material whatsoever, which is what I'm now working on. You presumably could import her through the EEs, but at present in BG2 she'd be a completely silent NPC.

Kavak posted:

Dang. Anything particularly cringeworthy?

I haven't asked or looked. My plan for now is to finish Valerie for BG2, both SoA and ToB, release it on SHS with minimal fanfare, and probably not make another.

Probably. :v:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The only thing to really improve is the character sprites some, the Siege of Draginspears areas look fantastic

Beamdig continuing to make isometric RPGs for DnD would be excellent.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Kavak posted:

So? That's just an excuse to have another game where you can get him killed!

I don't think BG III is actually going to happen- they tried it once and it died the same death as Van Buren Fallout 3. They're far more likely to do another setting like Dragonlance or Dark Sun according to Oster.

I am glad that the Interplay BG III didn't happen, mostly so I can imagine that the entire plot was based off Led Zeppelin lyrics.

They should do Mystara. Or Spelljammer.

Actually gently caress yes, do Spelljammer.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

For all the QoL improvements they've made to the games, why couldn't Beamdog fix the Load Game screen taking you out of your loving game? I often forget if I've saved recently, and I can't check the Save Game screen in combat or if a trap is active. Now I've got to do the Dedral fight over again. :(

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Woolie Wool posted:

Minsc, Dynaheir, Khalid, Jaheira, Dorn, Rasaad, Baeloth, Viconia, Edwin, Safana, and Neera. That's it.

Who do I take in this group? I guess I am stuck with Khalid? I already killed him once.

I need a Cleric.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Glint and Viconia are clerics but neither can fight in the front row. Corwin is an archer and a decent replacement for Kivan. Dorn does loads of melee DPS but is fragile. Voghiln is a bard, a class I greatly dislike. Khalid will be back to life if he died in the main game. Don't ever take Rasaad, he is useless at low levels. It's definitely not a great lineup if you have a squishy PC--it seems almost as if they assumed you would play a fighter or paladin and not need much tankage.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 23, 2016

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
I just finished SoD and imported my character into BG2ee, but something doesn't seem right:

I discovered the weird things my character is saying is because his soundset doesn't exist in BG2, but I also found a sling+3 in one of the first rooms in irenicus' dungeon with no listed damage or thac0 bonus under statistics, although it does give correct bonuses, is that supposed to be there?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

If you were wielding that sling in BG1, yes. The EE I think lets you keep one weapon from your old inventory- I got The Burning Earth.

Woolie Wool posted:

It's definitely not a great lineup if you have a squishy PC--it seems almost as if they assumed you would play a fighter or paladin and not need much tankage.

You get Minsc, though I guess you'd still need another one to be safe.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Hollismason posted:

Who do I take in this group? I guess I am stuck with Khalid? I already killed him once.

I need a Cleric.
I did fine with Glint as my only source of divine magic, but he doesn't reach 5th level spells/get Chaotic Commands, which does matter in the later parts of the game.

There's an entire (optional) dungeon full of undead but apart from that they're not super prevalent, so you don't absolutely need a Cleric anyway, Jaheira and the goblin Shaman can fill in unless you feel strongly about not getting Cleric-only buffs/summons.

Woolie Wool posted:

Glint and Viconia are clerics but neither can fight in the front row. Corwin is an archer and a decent replacement for Kivan. Dorn does loads of melee DPS but is fragile. Voghiln is a bard, a class I greatly dislike. Khalid will be back to life if he died in the main game. Don't ever take Rasaad, he is useless at low levels. It's definitely not a great lineup if you have a squishy PC--it seems almost as if they assumed you would play a fighter or paladin and not need much tankage.
Minsc was all the melee I needed. You can solve a lot of problems by just blowing them up from afar in SoD since it often sends big groups of weaker enemies at you, so an Invoker Charname, Dynaheir and, later on, Neera often had a fight locked down before it even started.

e: This isn't to say that this can't be a problem, though. It's a bit unfortunate that they don't allow you to break up NPC pairs when the only non-evil melee NPC that isn't paired with someone is Rasaad.

Also, Corwin is incredible, Kivan is nothing next to her. :colbert:

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 23, 2016

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Kavak posted:

If you were wielding that sling in BG1, yes. The EE I think lets you keep one weapon from your old inventory- I got The Burning Earth.

You get Minsc, though I guess you'd still need another one to be safe.

Minsc's defensive stats are pretty mediocre before his bump to 16 DEX and CON in BG2.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I started an EE run again, and as much as I absolutely love BG1/2's plot and setting, ugh, I really can't stomach AD&D any more after PoE. Really wish those "remake BG1/2 in PoE" mods had actually gotten somewhere. :(

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
What's that Viconia you are neutral evil? Oh I have this helm I found why don't you wear it.

And brainwashing is complete.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Woolie Wool posted:

Minsc's defensive stats are pretty mediocre before his bump to 16 DEX and CON in BG2.

So buff him in Dragonspear. I've been using 3rd editions "Attribute point every 4 levels" rule after I realized how loving rare stat boosting items are.

Hollismason posted:

What's that Viconia you are neutral evil? Oh I have this helm I found why don't you wear it.

I put that on Branwen, but sadly neither of them exploded.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Kavak posted:

I put that on Branwen, but sadly neither of them exploded.

You fool, now she is compelled to constantly pick sides in every imaginable conflict and defend them to the death. She will die in an argument over stupid poo poo and it's all your fault.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
So far it has had no impact. Have to say SoD is pretty drat cool.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Well, bumrushing Sarevok with everything I had ended up being anticlimatic. I might as well start Siege of Dragonspear on Hard.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Hollismason posted:

probably someone's fanfic

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Gamerofthegame posted:

probably someone's fanfic

:(

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Was the original game on Normal or Core?

Anyway, wtf is Imoen doing in my party in Siege of Dragonspear? I left her at the Friendly Arm Inn at the start of the game and never spoke to her again.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Was the original game on Normal or Core?

Anyway, wtf is Imoen doing in my party in Siege of Dragonspear? I left her at the Friendly Arm Inn at the start of the game and never spoke to her again.

That's not canon. :colbert:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I completed Heart of Winter. My party has gone from level 9 to level 17-18, and from around 310000 XP to well over two million, in pretty much all respects a party that could take on Suldanesselar and Jon Irenicus. I guess the rest of the game (Dorn's Deep on) is going to be a cakewalk.

The dragon was a pretty cool boss but not nearly the most difficult fight, the polar bear spirit was tougher because of its instant-death roar and the sahuagin onslaught just before the dragon was tougher because of bad pathfinding and all the traps. In both cases they made me glad that my priest has memorized a couple of casts of Resurrection.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 24, 2016

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Cythereal posted:

I think because only spergs would realize it's set in the past (i.e. 2E setting, despite using 3E mechanics). Unless you really know your Realms lore, the only thing that might tip off a casual Realms fan is the stuff about Bane and Xvim.

Ahem. :spergin: Since it's set before the time of troubles I think you'll find that it's the 1st edition setting.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

"Time of Troubles" is the most :effort: name for a world-altering cataclysm ever. But then maybe when they happen over and over again anytime the gods want to roll out a new edition of the laws of physics, you stop giving a poo poo.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Beamdog's next game should be set in the Time of Troubles

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
So... are all the companions in BG1 available in SODS? They all kinda ran off with decent equipment after that first dungeon and not a one of them are available at the tavern.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Put anything useful into their inventories except for the canon party, Viconia, Edwin, and the EE NPCs. The others are gone, sadly :(.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Ah OK so I can keep Viconia and Edwin equipped. Good.

Actually going to miss Skie and Eldoth.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Actually they should do a DnD game set in Eberron so we can have magitech trains and halflings riding raptors into battle.

And not circlejerking the same old games to death. I mean, I miss NWN but it'd be nice to get something new in the past ten years...

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah I fed Khalid to some bears. So there better be a " Wait , didn't we strip you naked and feed you to bears? " if he shows up again or I'm demanding a refund.

Definitely, head to the east cave when you leave Baldur's Gate in Dragonspear. Holy poo poo . Don't want to spoil it but it's such a nice dungeon.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Khalid shows up again in BG2 as a dissected corpse, and stays dead forever.

Also I decided to try out Heart of Fury mode since my party is so over-leveled. Oh yeah. This is the unyielding IWD that I remember before going with Hjollder.

Really pisses me off that Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting is not party-friendly in IWD. In BG2 it was my favorite non-HLA spell, I would cast it over and over to soften up groups of tough enemies. If I knew how to mod spells I would add Minoletta's Bounding Missiles and Ninagauth's Shadowflame from Pillars of Eternity into the Infinity Engine. Minoletta's Bounding Missiles is a third level spell that is basically Magic Missile, but upon impact with the target, the missiles bounce off and hit additional targets. It's not very powerful but it's party-friendly and visually impressive. Ninagauth's Shadowflame is a fourth level spell (for the Infinity Engine I would make it a seventh or eighth level spell because it's kind of crazy) that is basically Fireball but it does cold damage, has a shorter casting range (which makes it a bit more difficult to use without putting your wizard at risk) and all enemies affected must save or be paralyzed for a duration that scales with the wizard's level. It's amazing.

E: So I looked into Heart of Fury some more and apparently it gives all enemies like 4x health and completely unbalances everything in favor of CC and summons? I've only done a couple of encounters. Maybe I should just play on Insane then. I would have thought they'd do something more interesting like make all enemies 10 levels higher.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 24, 2016

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I've got a mechanical question about the two bg games. If you dual class from a fighter to Druid at say 3, and have 18 con, will you gain the HP bonus only fighters get for level ups once you regain your fighter levels or is it a waste to have over 16 unless you are dualing late?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
The latter. There is no reason to dual a fighter before level 9, the last level that grants the extra CON bonus, however.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I was thinking of either 3 to grandmaster scimitars at 8 with the druid... Or 7 for overall fighter power. With the stats required it seems easier to go for the 15 con roll and use the book to get you to 16. Would that really weaken the character that much for bg2?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

flashman posted:

I was thinking of either 3 to grandmaster scimitars at 8 with the druid
That won't work, when your Druid puts points into Scimitars after dual-classing he'll start at 0 points/unproficient again.
You regain proficiencies with your old class abilities, so you can reach Grand Mastery at Druid level 8 by dual-classing after Fighter level 6+.

Anyway, the levels you want to dual-class out of Fighter (or Ranger) are:
7 - you get an extra half attack per round, and can still regain your Fighter levels in BG1 unless you dual into Cleric.
9 - all class hit dice and full Con bonus
13 - another half attack.

Because Druids level fast at first but very slowly later on, 13 is pretty much out for Fighter->Druid. Dualing at such a high level is going to result in a lot of downtime regardless of what you dual into anyway, I'd only really do it if the Fighter side is a Kensai.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Wouldn't using your 3rd level pip warrior for your third scimitar, and your fourth level and eighth as druid get you grandmaster? You'll have it by eight anyway either way just with more ”wasted” points (probably just get slings and clubs or something like that so not really a waste).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Oh yeah, sorry, that would work. I totally forgot to take the 4th level Druid pip into account.

Still, you'd be better off dualing after level 7.