Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Man mode is really easy in this game

https://youtu.be/tVdOkFKLTuw

Optional late game boss spoilers I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Lothric had a goal; sit back with my bro and watch the world burn!

On that note, is it ever explained or implied anywhere why Nameless King attacks you, aside from being a dragon-loving prick?

You're kind of charging through his house killing all his friends for no reason other than you can.

I'd be pissed too.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Thievery posted:

Man mode is really easy in this game

https://youtu.be/tVdOkFKLTuw

Optional late game boss spoilers I guess

http://i.imgur.com/GYfEoZB.webm

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
Man, I was tempted to try to platinum this because I kind of love it, but I can't get summoned into any of these automatic summon covenants at all. And there's like 3 of them in this one. With 212 discovery I can't even get any of the covenant drops from the knights either.

Seems like it's not an issue for some people as I've seen plenty of blue police during invasions though.

Any recommendations on fancier weapons for someone used to Broadsword +10? My invasion game is slipping, everyone's got a fancy something or other.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

PoshAlligator posted:

Man, I was tempted to try to platinum this because I kind of love it, but I can't get summoned into any of these automatic summon covenants at all. And there's like 3 of them in this one. With 212 discovery I can't even get any of the covenant drops from the knights either.

Seems like it's not an issue for some people as I've seen plenty of blue police during invasions though.

Any recommendations on fancier weapons for someone used to Broadsword +10? My invasion game is slipping, everyone's got a fancy something or other.

You can farm covenant items off NPCs but the droprates are kinda low. Happy grinding!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Internet Kraken posted:

You're kind of charging through his house killing all his friends for no reason other than you can.

I'd be pissed too.

Hans, I've noticed something; have you looked at at our caps recently?

They've got skulls on them...

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
man is it just me or has summoning/co-op stuff in general seemingly gotten much worse over time? just 2 days ago I had no trouble getting summoned for princes. maybe 1 in 5 or 6 would bug out(which is still way too many) but now it's like 90%. If I don't just fail to join right after loading in, I can't enter the boss arena or something like that.

it's dumb and discouraging. why is the online such poo poo in this when it was generally so good in 2?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Another thing I've been wondering-does anything ever comment on Aldrich being all gross and gooey? Is that just his thing? Did he melt when he linked the fire?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
...OK, I see to have made the transition from pyromancer to hexer/dark sorcery caster with the acquisition of my form fitting leather pants. Dark magic in general seems strong as long as you have the softcap for pyromancy. Currently 32 int/28 faith and it's tearing things up just as good/better as pyromancy.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Spiritus Nox posted:

Another thing I've been wondering-does anything ever comment on Aldrich being all gross and gooey? Is that just his thing? Did he melt when he linked the fire?

The game says it happened after he ate too many people.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Ethiser posted:

The game says it happened after he ate too many people.

Where? Is it on his Soul and I just forgot? Or did I miss it?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Are the Lothric spear knights completely unparryable, or do I just need to get good?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Spiritus Nox posted:

Crestfallen guy says he ate so many people that he went beyond just being fat and turned into a pile of goo.

Basically Aldritch was such an utterly disgusting and horrible person his body warped to represent that.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

If you press right on your joystick, they will miss

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Fister Roboto posted:

Are the Lothric spear knights completely unparryable, or do I just need to get good?

Dunno, they seem to try to shield bash you more often than anything else, and I can't remember any shield bash being parryable.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Mazerunner posted:

Don't lock on, and stand close to but in front of his head

I actually did use lock-on for my melee guy, but kept dashing-R2 distance away for a quick smash if needed. Easier to dodge all of the melee, but harder to dodge the flame breath until you recognize the wind up.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Fargin Icehole posted:

Dunno, they seem to try to shield bash you more often than anything else, and I can't remember any shield bash being parryable.

One time one of those dudes shield bashed me and broke my guard, and then proceeded to shield bash me in the face two more times instead of stabbing me and doing more damage.

I felt like I was just being bullied.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Fister Roboto posted:

get good. However you can't parry a shield bash.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Hamsterlady posted:

One time one of those dudes shield bashed me and broke my guard, and then proceeded to shield bash me in the face two more times instead of stabbing me and doing more damage.

I felt like I was just being bullied.

Circle strafe to your left.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

I don't feel like playing DS3 with a high armour tower shield dude because poise is useless in 3 so you can't just do the second playthrough "walk at every enemy and never die" thing, rip poise u were lordran's rose

RIP all my armor.

Why is Poise so much worse this time?

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
I got a question about the end of Siegward's quest line.

So I understand he's going to help me out with a specific boss fight, well and good. But I've heard conflicting reports ranging from "totally trivializes the fight" to "dies almost immediately and is useless".

My question is, if he dies mid-fight does that break the quest? If he dies and I kill the boss can I continue with the quest? If he dies, and I homeward out of there or die, is he going to come back for the next attempt? Or do I have to get this done perfectly the first time?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

jon joe posted:

RIP all my armor.

It was too good and people barely played the game they'd just get the heaviest everything and death march toward every enemy and boss in the game and hit them with sticks until they died while in no danger because they could take a little sippy without fear of being interrupted.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Meiteron posted:

I got a question about the end of Siegward's quest line.

So I understand he's going to help me out with a specific boss fight, well and good. But I've heard conflicting reports ranging from "totally trivializes the fight" to "dies almost immediately and is useless".

My question is, if he dies mid-fight does that break the quest? If he dies and I kill the boss can I continue with the quest? If he dies, and I homeward out of there or die, is he going to come back for the next attempt? Or do I have to get this done perfectly the first time?

If he dies he's dead forever even if you die too, but it doesn't matter. This is the very end of the questline and his corpse will have anything you'd get from him if he survived. It's just an alternate ending to the quest, basically.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Azazell0 posted:

I enter into Irithyll dungeon: EIIIIIIIAAAAAARRRRRRGGGHHHH

I run straight out again.

This + baby heads ih my god

Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

Here comes the hurdy gurdy man.
*Rodney Dangerfield voice* Boy now I know why they call it "Road of Sacrifices!"

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

I AM BRAWW posted:

This + baby heads ih my god

I put "charmer" down next to the non-hostile baby thing and it gets at least one good rating every time I play. That dude is alright in my book, as he's been an endless source of free health for me.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

jon joe posted:

RIP all my armor.

it's not worse per se, but it doesn't do the same thing it used to. before it would make it so all of your attacks were less likely to be interrupted if you took a hit in the middle of an attack animation, and as has been said that lead to a lot of people just stacking havel's and face tanking everything while dual wielding demon's great hammers. evidently miyazaki didn't think that play style matched his vision for how dark souls should work.

now poise adds hyper armor frames to your attacks that already have hyper armor (so like a great sword R2) but not by a huge margin and not for the entire attack, it just makes the hyper armor window slightly larger. so if you already know what you're doing with your weapon you can get a little more wiggle room with your timing, but if you were hoping to just wear the heaviest armor possible and face tank everything then *sad trombone* you can't do that any more.

this change is not communicated to any meaningful extent in the actual game, so people who expected poise to work the same way as before are understandably salty about the changes.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

jon joe posted:

RIP all my armor.

it was that poise was way too strong and made playing the game trivially easy.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Fereydun posted:

they're weird lovely dragon transformation experiments

My take on them is that what they are or where they come from isn't that important, what's important is that the people who are totally cool with a dude who eats people and turns into a pile of goo see them and go "gently caress that, into the dungeon".

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Can we agree that Siegward is the best NPC in this game

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

That's not a contest. I also really like Orbeck, though, he loosens up a lot once you buy all his stuff.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

the other side of the coin about the poise changes though is that it makes enemy monsters and hollows easier to fight to some extent, because they can also have their guard broken or be stunned a lot more easily now. if you use decently heavy weapons you (say great sword or heavier) you can guard break through even something like the lothric knight's shield after 2-3 swings, so as long as you have enough stamina to swing 4 or 5 times, you can just chop chop chop into their block and then when their guard breaks guess what, free riposte for critical damage for you (basically a backstab but from the front). it feels like this happens way more often in DS3 than the other games in the series where the more heavily armored monsters / enemy hollows would just shrug off anything you threw at them regardless of what you were attacking with.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I like Patches a lot in this game. He's probably not the best character, but he's definitely the best incarnation of Patches.

NPC questline spoilers I really like how he likes Greirat because he let him out of a cell or something. If you screw up Siegward's questline and Patches still has the Catarina armor, he'll disguise himself and save Greirat in Irithyll, and if you attack Greirat while Patches is in Firelink, Patches becomes hostile to you. He also seems genuinely worried when you tell him Greirat went to Lothric Castle, though he's very tsundere about it and acts like he's just going to rob his corpse when he's clearly going to try and check on him.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
How about that Nameless King.:stare:

Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life
I've managed to ruin every npc plotline so far, there all so obtuse.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

homeless poster posted:

the other side of the coin about the poise changes though is that it makes enemy monsters and hollows easier to fight to some extent, because they can also have their guard broken or be stunned a lot more easily now. if you use decently heavy weapons you (say great sword or heavier) you can guard break through even something like the lothric knight's shield after 2-3 swings, so as long as you have enough stamina to swing 4 or 5 times, you can just chop chop chop into their block and then when their guard breaks guess what, free riposte for critical damage for you (basically a backstab but from the front). it feels like this happens way more often in DS3 than the other games in the series where the more heavily armored monsters / enemy hollows would just shrug off anything you threw at them regardless of what you were attacking with.

I can't say I've noticed that big a difference in PvE mob poise, stunlocking mobs was always 90% of a shieldless run, only the hardest 10% require dodging. And there's nothing in this game as ridiculous as the red iron twinblade for poisebreaking in PvE, for example.

Even if it is the case though, that seems fine since DS1 and DS2 mobs are so so so much easier to parry and backstab.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So, uh, heavy dark sword +10 is better in every way than Smaug's Greathammer +5

this should not be a thing, but I appreciate it.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Groovelord Neato posted:

i assume he's fighting you because you came on his turf and started killing everyone.

They started it.

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Just a perfectly normal farm hand.

Help Im Alive posted:

He's carrying on a proud tradition.

Greirat is pretty cool too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Awesome Andy posted:

I've managed to ruin every npc plotline so far, there all so obtuse.

I was so careful with Siegward only to have him die in the boss fight. NG+

Also, I finished, I'm ready for theories if anyone wants to share!