Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

potatocubed posted:

Alright, I'll be good to run a Pigsmoke playtest at ~8 pm British Summer Time (UTC +1) next Saturday. I'll run it via Roll20 assuming the mic I ordered arrives before then (it should).

Capfalcon, if you want in that's fine. Golden Bee, you said you could round up some other testers? I'll be looking for 3-4 players total for a ~4 hour game; we'll do chargen and kick the tyres of the first session advice, and fingers crossed there will be both useful feedback for me and fun for the participants.

We got 3 players (I'm bringing two friends) + Cap Falcon; can't wait. Also, you should know: if Pigsmoke is set in America, no American has ever used "flannel" in the British sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Golden Bee posted:

We got 3 players (I'm bringing two friends) + Cap Falcon; can't wait. Also, you should know: if Pigsmoke is set in America, no American has ever used "flannel" in the British sense.

Yeah, I'm getting that feedback from a few places. Such is the peril of trying to write outside one's natural idiom.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
I've been working for a few months on a spy game in my free time, something sort of 1960s-trope-ish. I'm aiming for a mix of Man From Uncle (the movie), Evil Genuis (the vidja game), '60s-era James Bond, and I guess Archer.

Here's a link to what I have right now: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BIwY4vrQR_Oq6x3OlnPeGaKMOFOJakJN4dFL41Ft5CE/edit?usp=sharing

I'd love some feedback.

(The gear isn't all done yet, and there's no GM section to speak of; it's mostly playbooks and basic rules.)

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Apr 23, 2016

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

potatocubed posted:

Alright, I'll be good to run a Pigsmoke playtest at ~8 pm British Summer Time (UTC +1) next Saturday. I'll run it via Roll20 assuming the mic I ordered arrives before then (it should).

Capfalcon, if you want in that's fine. Golden Bee, you said you could round up some other testers? I'll be looking for 3-4 players total for a ~4 hour game; we'll do chargen and kick the tyres of the first session advice, and fingers crossed there will be both useful feedback for me and fun for the participants.

Waiting for you...

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

QuantumNinja posted:

I've been working for a few months on a spy game in my free time, something sort of 1960s-trope-ish. I'm aiming for a mix of Man From Uncle (the movie), Evil Genuis (the vidja game), '60s-era James Bond, and I guess Archer.

Here's a link to what I have right now: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BIwY4vrQR_Oq6x3OlnPeGaKMOFOJakJN4dFL41Ft5CE/edit?usp=sharing

I'd love some feedback.

(The gear isn't all done yet, and there's no GM section to speak of; it's mostly playbooks and basic rules.)

Got to read through some of it, and it looks generally pretty good. It seems a little odd that each member of the group can pick their own organization as a default for this particular idea, because when I think of that era, I think of everyone except maybe a token contact belonging to the main good guy organization. Overall, however, it seems to be going in the right direction.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Auralsaurus Flex posted:

Apparently you can get it at PAX East this weekend. So if anyone's there and interested, they might be able to get some more info.

https://twitter.com/lumpleygames/status/723174553430581249
It appears to take place in the Solar Calendar setting shared with the other Mobile Frame games. I'm told it was developed as part of Baker's Patreon; there should be a preview available there for patrons.

I'm at PAX (ran two loud games of WWWRPG, and my throat is very sore) and had a quick look. The game is about setting up scenes between two players in the group, then one those one-on-one scenes are over, switch partners around. I'll see if I can get some more info tomorrow.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Noelor posted:

I'm not really sold on how DW handles bonds, though - they feel a bit weird, especially the way they get consumed at the end of the session to gain xp. Gaining bonds also seems completely unregulated. Am I missing something?
As was mentioned, by the rules they replenish themselves when they get used up. It's just a hook to get you interacting with the party. And you only "write a new bond whenever you resolve an old one". So each class should always have the same amount.

What really kills me is that 99% of all prewritten bonds are done wrong. This is how the text tells you to write bonds (emphasis mine):

quote:

Choose a thought or belief your character holds that ties the two together and an action, something you’re going to do about it.
But nearly every bond out there, from official to fan-made is absolute junk. In every game I've ever ran, I've told the players to rewrite any of their bonds they want after the first session, because most of them have nowhere to go.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh, right, Firebrands.

It's not actually a PbtA game; it's a diceless game where everyone makes characters by asking/answering a few questions, then everyone splits into pairs to roleplay one of ~10 scenes, which do have PbtA-style leading questions. Then at the end of each scene everyone splits into new pairs and plays a different scene. Once most/all of the scenes have been used, you do a wrap-up scene.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

ImpactVector posted:

But nearly every bond out there, from official to fan-made is absolute junk. In every game I've ever ran, I've told the players to rewrite any of their bonds they want after the first session, because most of them have nowhere to go.

Can you give an example of a good bond?

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Ominous Jazz posted:

Can you give an example of a good bond?

A good bond either establishes a conflict that is going to have a pretty immediate impact, or has an action your character can undertake linked to it.

"X happened, and I will do Y about it."

"X is Y, and I will do Z about it."

Start with a framing opinion, emotion, or event, then the character's intended action. The theory behind this is that a player can point to a point in the game where they did that action, or worked towards it as a concrete example. It's a good idea to have the action be something the character can do this session, as opposed to something that may never get resolved. (This is true for players writing their on, but can feel restrictive if the playbook sets something that specific out of the gate.)

The Fighter's "X is soft, I will make the hard like me." is good because there's a lot of ways the fighter's player can express them making the other character hard. It points to an action (I will make them hard) without nailing that action down to a specific situation or goal. (I will make them murder someone)

There's also the option to revise a bond as part of the end of session resolution mechanic. After a session, the broad intent may have a more tight focus. "I will make them hard" gets narrowed down to "I will show them killing is necessary" or "I will force them to resolve their own problems with violence." or "I will teach them to ignore the cold."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I finally managed to see the playbooks for The Sprawl.

Six stats and 24 "basic" moves.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Evil Mastermind posted:

I finally managed to see the playbooks for The Sprawl.

Six stats and 24 "basic" moves.

But it works. Really well.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
A lot of the moves wouldn't be treated as moves in a lot of systems, like Dying or using gear, and not many classes are going to be hacking often. It's not too bad.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The Masks rulebook is out (sans most of the art). It's great, but what's amazing is how the G+ community and 3 rules handouts gave enough information for me to play 30+ hours of it. A wonder of economy (although having things spelled out is mondo helpful.)

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah the sprawl is amazing.

Some of their basic moves are integral to the structure of the game and don't really feel like basic moves how we think of them.

Also, you want to tell me Acquire Agricultural Property isn't an amazing move? Lol

xian fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 8, 2016

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Seventeen "basic" moves actually.

Really, the beef I have with the basic moves list isn't the number, but that the game calls them all basic moves, when that's not really how most PbtA's would classify them. The Sprawl mixes several of what would be termed special or peripheral moves in other systems into its "basic moves" list. If you count them the same way, DW also has 17, and AW itself has 16 (not even counting the battle moves - add those in and you've got 20). Even Monsterhearts would have something like 10 or 11 if they were parsed out the way The Sprawl does it.

For example, there's Go Under the Knife, which is a move specifically for getting cyberware. It's hard to imagine it coming up more than once a session, if that often. The Harm move and Acquire Agricultural Property (similar to DW's Last Breath or AW's debilities) are also in there. Plus, there are mission start (Get the Job) and mission end (Get Paid) moves, which work very well in the genre since working with fixers and getting screwed by employers are staples. And then there's Declare a Contact, Produce Equipment, and Reveal Knowledge, all of which let you retroactively declare narrative details to streamline missions and avoid the never ending planning session so common to the genre.

The game does a lot right, I think, though I do feel that it doesn't provide as much clarity or guidance for the Legwork vs Mission phases. This is really a presentation problem, though. The conceptual space behind the phases really works for the genre, and the way the moves work in each phase fits. Where it seems a little clunky (so far anyways) is in making it clear how and when to move from on to the other.

Of course, the like I mentioned above, the interminable planning cycle is a problem in pretty much every cyberpunk game. The Sprawl provides tools to break out of it while not screwing the players if they didn't cover every single eventuality. It could explain how to use those tools better, but every PbtA game has something like that - all the way back to the Go Aggro vs Seize By Force confusion endemic to AW.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I made a Sprawl Playbook for refuseniks and the Cyberlimb free.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/17wDhauJK13G25maiNeDCQ3U7-SzR4Cy5AjRX44oPtbk/edit

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Stupid Newbie question: what's the real difference between basic and peripheral moves?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Peripherals are printed out on another sheet because you don't need to look them up all the time. Like punching a dude is basic and getting cyberware is peripheral - it's neither a playbook thing nor does player need to have it in mind all the time.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Yeah, there's no mechanical difference, it's just an organizational thing.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It's odd it took this long, but there's finally a PbtA-dedicated podcast out there. It's called "+1 Forward" and it's by the folks behind the Gauntlet podcast. There's only one episode so far (interviewing Meguey about AW2e) but it has potential.

iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/+1-forward/id1110623840
RSS: http://1forward.libsyn.com/rss

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's odd it took this long, but there's finally a PbtA-dedicated podcast out there. It's called "+1 Forward" and it's by the folks behind the Gauntlet podcast. There's only one episode so far (interviewing Meguey about AW2e) but it has potential.

iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/+1-forward/id1110623840
RSS: http://1forward.libsyn.com/rss
There was Discern Realities, which was DW exclusive...

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
I'm given to understand this is where I should post about a hack -- specifically, I've started work on a PbtA game about being the victims in a slasher movie, trapped in dark, cramped spaces and pursued by ambiguously Satanic machete-wielding nightmares given flesh. You may know me as "someone who knows zilch about building stuff for PbtA, semi-excluding Monsterhearts." As such, I'm posting what little I have (basic moves, the skeletons of a few character archetypes, various gameplay conceit concepts, etc. etc.) here -- comments and criticism welcomed and appreciated.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Poltergrift posted:

I'm given to understand this is where I should post about a hack -- specifically, I've started work on a PbtA game about being the victims in a slasher movie, trapped in dark, cramped spaces and pursued by ambiguously Satanic machete-wielding nightmares given flesh. You may know me as "someone who knows zilch about building stuff for PbtA, semi-excluding Monsterhearts." As such, I'm posting what little I have (basic moves, the skeletons of a few character archetypes, various gameplay conceit concepts, etc. etc.) here -- comments and criticism welcomed and appreciated.

I know it's a contraversial move, but this game could do with a sex move. Everyone knows Slashers always kill the sexhavers first, after all.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

chaos rhames posted:

I know it's a contraversial move, but this game could do with a sex move. Everyone knows Slashers always kill the sexhavers first, after all.

Sex Move: Get stabbed.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
When you have sex, take -1 ongoing to all moves until someone else has sex.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

GodFish posted:

When you have sex, take -1 ongoing to all moves until someone else has sex.

:golfclap:

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

chaos rhames posted:

Good slasher flicks are just as much about the messy relationships between the victims/survivors as they are about the messy deaths.

The best advice for making a PBTA hack based on a genre is to really dissect the genre. Not only the tropes the genre is known for, but what it is often a metaphor for, and the issues it tends to discuss. When you bake those principles into your moves, you really push the players to that experience.

Since these games work on character elimination, giving players a pool of characters that become more detailed the longer they survive, or letting 'knocked out' players do interesting things with the monster or environment could be interesting. Having each character with a random, hidden agenda might be interesting to mix up motivations.

If you're having it be more than a one shot, you could consider doing it as a series of movies that explore the lore or focus on different sub-genres (more gory, more psychological, more action-based) I'd probably concentrate on the one-shot model first though.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

madadric posted:

Good slasher flicks are just as much about the messy relationships between the victims/survivors as they are about the messy deaths.

The best advice for making a PBTA hack based on a genre is to really dissect the genre. Not only the tropes the genre is known for, but what it is often a metaphor for, and the issues it tends to discuss. When you bake those principles into your moves, you really push the players to that experience.

Since these games work on character elimination, giving players a pool of characters that become more detailed the longer they survive, or letting 'knocked out' players do interesting things with the monster or environment could be interesting. Having each character with a random, hidden agenda might be interesting to mix up motivations.

If you're having it be more than a one shot, you could consider doing it as a series of movies that explore the lore or focus on different sub-genres (more gory, more psychological, more action-based) I'd probably concentrate on the one-shot model first though.

Like Paranoia?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
You can also do it without xp. Advancement based on survival, when a pc dies, everyone else takes an advancement.

And maybe everyone makes up a pool of Important Characters (IC heh), like you don't have one specific character, but pcs are like monsterhearts' npcs and you just drive one around for a scene.

Like in the movie Aliens, all the ICs are Ripley, the space marines, Newt, etc. and depending on how it plays out, maybe Ripley's not the one who survives?

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Urban Shadows question: I want to run a CofD game set in LA, and I'd like to read just the LA City Guide for inspiration and maps and stuff. What exactly do I need to buy to get the City Guides, or were they just a KS thing? Has anyone run a game using one, are they useful as GM prep? Are there any really great ones I should look for?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
The city guides are going to be published in one volume with some of the archetypes, as I understand it. They're not out yet.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Kellsterik posted:

Urban Shadows question: I want to run a CofD game set in LA, and I'd like to read just the LA City Guide for inspiration and maps and stuff. What exactly do I need to buy to get the City Guides, or were they just a KS thing? Has anyone run a game using one, are they useful as GM prep? Are there any really great ones I should look for?

It might be worthwhile to read Hollyworld, a pbta game designed specifically about LA.

The most powerful person in the city is someone who can use their powers to avoid traffic.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Golden Bee posted:

The most powerful person in the city is someone who can use their powers to avoid traffic.

Compared to anyone else, that's as good as teleportation.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Error 404 posted:

You can also do it without xp. Advancement based on survival, when a pc dies, everyone else takes an advancement.

Oh, that means that there are a set of monster hearts style growing up move upgrades for what happens when you're the only one left. The only 'fight back' move in the entire game is in this list, and that's the one that lets you hurt the killer.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I've been working on a PbtA hack/game/thing called Looking Glass. It's a game about traveling through a "Mirror" with your friends and find adventures there. I use cards instead of dice and so I've adjusted the numbers there. Some of the MC duties go to the Anchor and then each player has a Foil who handles all of the hard moves and sticky results. I have the basic moves and a lot of description finished but there's a lot left to do. (Anchor and Foil moves and advancement, most notably.)

I'd really appreciate some feedback on the basic moves and mechanics. If you want to tell me what I've done wrong, the draft document is here!

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

It has been awhile since I've made anything or wanted to make anything, but for some reason today I woke up and said 'I want to make a Monsterhearts Skin'

And thus lives The Mummy. Because really, who doesn't want to play with mummies?

I'd love feedback, either in thread or in the document. :)

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Kitty prompted me to finish my own - The Evil Twin

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZsOPNFUMlFGN3BfFxust7weSfuu4O7dr-lvX0kDk1LE/edit

Core concept is to pretend to be another PC. Sabotage your twin, and then use their identity to make yourself feel better in any number of dastardly ways!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Frgrbrgr posted:

Kitty prompted me to finish my own - The Evil Twin

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZsOPNFUMlFGN3BfFxust7weSfuu4O7dr-lvX0kDk1LE/edit

Core concept is to pretend to be another PC. Sabotage your twin, and then use their identity to make yourself feel better in any number of dastardly ways!

My criticism remains that I wouldn't want a PC whose gimmick was "my sibling"*. Especially if it's "my sibling who can only really gently caress with me". Especially especially if I miss a play session and they have the option to sit on their hands or entirely ruin my social life.

The mortal is entirely codependent but is allowed (and encouraged!) to change their True Love. I've made playbooks that are all focused on one person: The Understudy does that-- but it explicitly makes it an NPC so if the GMs here you can engage.

*Also b/c using some basic moves runs the risk of X card tapping or people saying "Twincest".

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

My criticism remains that I wouldn't want a PC whose gimmick was "my sibling"*. Especially if it's "my sibling who can only really gently caress with me". Especially especially if I miss a play session and they have the option to sit on their hands or entirely ruin my social life.

Meta concerns like this would basically all have to be handled before agreeing to it. This skin should only be used if the "good twin" is fully on board, and the pair would very likely have to be able to play together (If only one shows up to the play session, maybe bench both characters and that person plays as somebody else for the session?). The threat of the good twin showing up and ruining the evil twin's day is a necessary element to keep the evil twin in check.