Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

This isn't eggsactly what I was eggspecting to see from this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
could fry an egg on that stand's rear end

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the long national nightmare is now over

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Baal posted:

If you get hit by the stand arrow then your stand produces a bag of chips and a can of coke.
Why must you persist with your lies and deceit?

It’s not coke, it's chic-a-cherry cola.

Or chick-a-cherry cola, in Koichi's case.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

The Sandman posted:

Why must you persist with your lies and deceit?

It’s not coke, it's chic-a-cherry cola.

Or chick-a-cherry cola, in Koichi's case.

Actually, due to the nature of the arrow it obviously produces a 7UP. DIO was devastated when he found out what he could've had instead of a pesky time stop punch ghost.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
If Dio's father had a Stand, would it be a giant bottle of booze?

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Not sure how 「J O H N N I E W A L K E R」 is going to benefit the elder Brando - maybe it's like Holly's stand, but in bottle form?

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Dio's father wouldn't have a [Stand]. He'd have a [Stagger].

Which is of course a roundabout way of saying that he has a drinking problem.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Soylentbits posted:

Dio's father wouldn't have a [Stand]. He'd have a [Stagger].

Which is of course a roundabout way of saying that he has a drinking problem.

You can express anything in a roundabout way if you change the lyrics enough.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
I'm not sure if there's any value to be had in speculating about what I expect to happen in the future of part four, especially since there's no conversation to be had there, but I do like JoJo quite a lot and there's not much to talk about between episodes besides looking backward, so I guess I'll do that!

The strongest parts of the anime so far have been in the art direction, which is fabulous. The inventive use of colors and filters makes scenes pop even more than the ridiculous outfits, and everything looks much more shiny and plastic than it did in previous parts - which kinda works in the favor of Diamond Is Unbreakable. There is certainly an element of surrealism present in all parts of JoJo, even excluding the context-free posing at impossible angles, and it seems even more present in DiU; where Phantom Blood felt like a horror and a mystery, and Battle Tendency (and Stardust Crusaders) felt like pulpy adventures, DiU feels very much like a storybook to me. Our protagonists have not left Morioh, and the expository stuff we've gotten from Jotaro suggests that they probably never will - their adventure happens at home. Obviously this is subjective, but this is the first part where the "bizarre" in the title seems to be at the forefront, and the color theory stuff on display as well as the shift in the art style make DiU feel synthetic without being unsatisfying. It reminds me of candy, I guess???

The Stands that have come along so far appear mildly more imaginative; Crazy Diamond is a pretty good analog for Star Platinum so far, and gives a good anchor point for interpreting how Stands are supposed to work in this setting. (They both punch really fast and good.) Josuke's been able to apply the supplementary part of his Stand in a pretty creative fashion so far, and him casually eviscerating his mom before fixing her will never not be funny, but I wonder if the machinegun punching and signature battle cries are like the JoJo epithet, and meant to be a point of continuity for the reader. My guess is that you could pick up any volume of part four and instantly recognize that Josuke is the new protagonist simply because of DORARARARARARA

So far I count three short-range humanoid Stands among the main group, which more or less synchronizes with what I would expect from part three - humanoid Stands with mostly-straightforward combat abilities are heroic (or meant to be, in the case of Dio? Someone told me that The World is actually supposed to be Jonathan's Stand, and Dio stole it when he stole his body), and weird Stands that do not directly fight or which lack a dynamic and humanoid appearance tend to be villainous, with some obvious exceptions on both sides.

The music is really great, and the recurring of Jotaro's "time to whoop some rear end" leitmotif is a nice treat if you watched part three. It's a bummer that Joseph is sitting this installment out, but it's probably for the best - he arguably overshadowed Jotaro in terms of force of personality for much of the previous saga, so having him show up again to upstage Josuke seems like a poor choice. Still kinda makes me wonder what DiU would have been from the outset if Joseph had come to Morioh and had to cop to being Josuke's dad. -- anyway, I really like both the OP and the ED, which both reinforce this feeling I get of both surrealism and artifice from the show as a whole. It's like a really well executed confection. I like the beginning more than I liked Stardust Crusaders, but it has yet to edge out Battle Tendency for me, yet. Good thing Friday is only like a million years away

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

guts and bolts posted:

Someone told me that The World is actually supposed to be Jonathan's Stand, and Dio stole it when he stole his body

The World was definitely DIO's stand. Whenever someone talks about "Jonathan's Stand" they're referring to the single time DIO materializes a stand identical to Hermit Purple at the very beginning. I think most people assume this is how he keeps tabs on the Joestar's activities, and how every enemy stand user always finds them.

e:

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

TriffTshngo posted:

The World was definitely DIO's stand. Whenever someone talks about "Jonathan's Stand" they're referring to the single time DIO materializes a stand identical to Hermit Purple at the very beginning. I think most people assume this is how he keeps tabs on the Joestar's activities, and how every enemy stand user always finds them.

e:

Cool, thanks for the clarification. Though why Jonathan and Joseph would have identical Stands -- that's weird, right? Unless it's just Araki making a meta comment on how Jonathan and Joseph look exactly the same, or something.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's just a thing Araki didn't really think through and got dropped incredibly quickly.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Someone a few pages ago (or maybe more like 20, since it was on like wednesday or something) mentioned a theory about how all Hamon users, if they were to manifest a stand, would probably all have Hermit Purple, and that Sendo, which Hamon users practiced, was known as the "way of the Hermit." Joseph was able to use Hamon years before he ever learned what it was so it's obviously something that can be inherited, and I imagine Holly might've been able to use it if for whatever reason she'd ever trained, which would be why her stand was also a bunch of thorny vines.

Basically it's just some cool details that could've been elaborated on but fans had to piece together instead because Araki forgot.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
"Araki forgot" leads to way cooler stuff in JoJo than "Toriyama forgot" does in Dragonball.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010

jivjov posted:

"Araki forgot" leads to way cooler stuff in JoJo than "Toriyama forgot" does in Dragonball.

Didn't Toriyama completely forget who Tao Pai Pai was during an interview with the creator of One Piece?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

jivjov posted:

That's mostly cause Araki will seemingly forget entire major plot points which makes the whole story unpredictable, whereas Toriyama usually just forgets about minor characters.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

TriffTshngo posted:

Someone a few pages ago (or maybe more like 20, since it was on like wednesday or something) mentioned a theory about how all Hamon users, if they were to manifest a stand, would probably all have Hermit Purple, and that Sendo, which Hamon users practiced, was known as the "way of the Hermit." Joseph was able to use Hamon years before he ever learned what it was so it's obviously something that can be inherited, and I imagine Holly might've been able to use it if for whatever reason she'd ever trained, which would be why her stand was also a bunch of thorny vines.

Basically it's just some cool details that could've been elaborated on but fans had to piece together instead because Araki forgot.

My personal fan-theory to bridge the gap there is that The World is actually stealing the Joestar's powers. DIO's entire mission in life is to take everything from them, so his stand is a dark mirror of what Joseph and Jotaro have. Who knows, maybe it can mimic any Stand with time but DIO's singular fixation means it only tried to get theirs. Whatever the case, it's possible Star Platinum is really the only stand that can stop time, and The World is copying it.

In reality, I find all the post-hoc explanations unsatisfying, because it really was Araki Forgot and I'm fine with that. But if I was forced to account for DIO having Hermit Purple, it'd be that.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

guts and bolts posted:

I'm not sure if there's any value to be had in speculating about what I expect to happen in the future of part four, especially since there's no conversation to be had there, but I do like JoJo quite a lot and there's not much to talk about between episodes besides looking backward, so I guess I'll do that!

The strongest parts of the anime so far have been in the art direction, which is fabulous. The inventive use of colors and filters makes scenes pop even more than the ridiculous outfits, and everything looks much more shiny and plastic than it did in previous parts - which kinda works in the favor of Diamond Is Unbreakable. There is certainly an element of surrealism present in all parts of JoJo, even excluding the context-free posing at impossible angles, and it seems even more present in DiU; where Phantom Blood felt like a horror and a mystery, and Battle Tendency (and Stardust Crusaders) felt like pulpy adventures, DiU feels very much like a storybook to me. Our protagonists have not left Morioh, and the expository stuff we've gotten from Jotaro suggests that they probably never will - their adventure happens at home. Obviously this is subjective, but this is the first part where the "bizarre" in the title seems to be at the forefront, and the color theory stuff on display as well as the shift in the art style make DiU feel synthetic without being unsatisfying. It reminds me of candy, I guess???

The Stands that have come along so far appear mildly more imaginative; Crazy Diamond is a pretty good analog for Star Platinum so far, and gives a good anchor point for interpreting how Stands are supposed to work in this setting. (They both punch really fast and good.) Josuke's been able to apply the supplementary part of his Stand in a pretty creative fashion so far, and him casually eviscerating his mom before fixing her will never not be funny, but I wonder if the machinegun punching and signature battle cries are like the JoJo epithet, and meant to be a point of continuity for the reader. My guess is that you could pick up any volume of part four and instantly recognize that Josuke is the new protagonist simply because of DORARARARARARA

So far I count three short-range humanoid Stands among the main group, which more or less synchronizes with what I would expect from part three - humanoid Stands with mostly-straightforward combat abilities are heroic (or meant to be, in the case of Dio? Someone told me that The World is actually supposed to be Jonathan's Stand, and Dio stole it when he stole his body), and weird Stands that do not directly fight or which lack a dynamic and humanoid appearance tend to be villainous, with some obvious exceptions on both sides.

The music is really great, and the recurring of Jotaro's "time to whoop some rear end" leitmotif is a nice treat if you watched part three. It's a bummer that Joseph is sitting this installment out, but it's probably for the best - he arguably overshadowed Jotaro in terms of force of personality for much of the previous saga, so having him show up again to upstage Josuke seems like a poor choice. Still kinda makes me wonder what DiU would have been from the outset if Joseph had come to Morioh and had to cop to being Josuke's dad. -- anyway, I really like both the OP and the ED, which both reinforce this feeling I get of both surrealism and artifice from the show as a whole. It's like a really well executed confection. I like the beginning more than I liked Stardust Crusaders, but it has yet to edge out Battle Tendency for me, yet. Good thing Friday is only like a million years away

I think joseph is the only jojo not to use a machine gun blow attack on a villian at some point. Johnathan does, jotaro does, and part 5-8 jojos do. the stands continue to change and evolve with the parts but that's just a bit of tradition. not that the machine gun rushes are the main attacks of every jojo, but they do all pull it out at least once.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Condiv posted:

I think joseph is the only jojo not to use a machine gun blow attack on a villian at some point. Johnathan does, jotaro does, and part 5-8 jojos do. the stands continue to change and evolve with the parts but that's just a bit of tradition. not that the machine gun rushes are the main attacks of every jojo, but they do all pull it out at least once.

yeah but joseph uses an actual machine gun so

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

hoobajoo posted:

In reality, I find all the post-hoc explanations unsatisfying, because it really was Araki Forgot and I'm fine with that. But if I was forced to account for DIO having Hermit Purple, it'd be that.

As a post-hoc explanation; "DIO has his own stand, and the body of Jonathan has a stand" is actually surprisingly internally consistent. Better than a lot of other fan theories I see tossed around for other properties.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's not really a fan theory if Araki's artbooks say that's how it is, to be fair.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's not really a fan theory if Araki's artbooks say that's how it is, to be fair.

Oh, that particular one is official word of Araki? Neat.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

"He's able to use a similar clairvoyant as Joseph because his body is Jonathan's from the neck down (首から下はジョナサンの肉体を乗っ取っているため、ジョセフと同じ透視能力が使える。?) ”
—JOJO A-GO! GO! Stand Dictionary p.33"

http://jojo.wikia.com/wiki/Unnamed_Stands#Hermit_Purple-like_Stand

:siren:This link will spoil some future stuff, so don't click if you're not a manga reader.:siren:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

hoobajoo posted:

My personal fan-theory to bridge the gap there is that The World is actually stealing the Joestar's powers. DIO's entire mission in life is to take everything from them, so his stand is a dark mirror of what Joseph and Jotaro have.

The World having Crazy Diamond powers would be interesting.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The World having Crazy Diamond powers would be interesting.

Obviously that's how he restored the spiderwebs after walking around behind Hol Horse :v:

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Condiv posted:

I feel like this is basically true. For the sake of continuity, given that so much can change from part to part, you're likely to have a JoJo in each part and in each part they will have a signature battle cry (ORAORAORA/DORARARARA) to accompany their machine-gun blows, and it seems like it's there to provide an anchor point. If I was living in the time where these were in weekly/monthly installments and dropped the magazine for a while, I could theoretically pick up any volume in the future, see the DORARARARARA!! and instantly know that Josuke is our main dude, and I'm assuming this holds true for future parts as well (I've only read parts two, three, and six).

In part two, it was arguably the point to have very little in the way of continuity between the protagonists - a major element of the presentation of both Joseph and Caesar is precisely how different they are from the previous generations of their lineage. Like, to the point where the dialogue actually becomes clunky to accommodate it - "Wow, this Joestar is nothing like his grandfather!!" for Joseph and "THIS Italian playboy is the Zeppeli I've been looking for!?" for Caesar.

Considering how much thought Araki has put into the series, I have to think that's on purpose. The setting between parts one and two changes, but it's not quite the same culturally as the jump from WW2 to the '80s, so it feels familiar to us already, as does the general theme and tone of the work - adventure story with elements of horror and mystery. Because the parts themselves change so drastically (to a straight-up battle manga in part three and then to a hyper-surrealist daily life manga in part four), Araki introduces these other common elements for continuity's sake more than anything else.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

By the way, where is the second "Jo" in Josuke Higashikata anyway? That went over my head.

Augus fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 24, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Augus posted:

By the way, where is the second "Jo" is Josuke Higashikata anyway? That went over my head.

"Suke" (助) can be read as Jo.

CaptianKatsura
Feb 28, 2011

I'm not Katsura, I'm Captain Katsura!

Augus posted:

By the way, where is the second "Jo" is Josuke Higashikata anyway? That went over my head.

edit: beaten

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Josuke Higashikata posted:

"He's able to use a similar clairvoyant as Joseph because his body is Jonathan's from the neck down (首から下はジョナサンの肉体を乗っ取っているため、ジョセフと同じ透視能力が使える。?) ”
—JOJO A-GO! GO! Stand Dictionary p.33"

http://jojo.wikia.com/wiki/Unnamed_Stands#Hermit_Purple-like_Stand

:siren:This link will spoil some future stuff, so don't click if you're not a manga reader.:siren:

Oh poo poo, I didn't know that was more than a fan-theory! Neat!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Scrapped Part 4 idea

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Man Keicho's looking rough

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'd have put the World's head on Crazy D, but I only like his :| face and I've never taken it off The World, so I'm unwilling to commit so far to bad jokes.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LifthwIvjw

The full OP song's out.

e: Whoever made this video has JoJo #5 and his stand on the video so spoiler warning in that sense.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 26, 2016

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Only 3 minutes? Boo

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There's an EDM remix too which should be uploaded eventually.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Who's that pretty girl with the boob window?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Oh yeah, they have that guy in the video for some reason. I forgot about that when I posted. I'll go edit in that that he's in the video incase people don't want to know about JoJo 5.

• Locked thread